Stretch

2 Amys, Wisconsin Ave. and Macomb Street - Great Wine, Small Plates, Pizza, and Desserts

14 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Rick Cook, who has come from Etto, and who worked at both BlackSaltm and at The Grill Room with the legendary Frank Ruta.

i believe that rick also did a stint at oberlin in providence, one of ben sukle's two restaurants.  oberlin is great, and sukle's flagship, birch, is in my opinion one of the best fine dining (in food style, although the environment is casual) restaurants in the country, and hands-down the best value for the level of food.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2018 at 3:28 AM, DonRocks said:

I went through this little exercise on my own, came to the same conclusion, and haven't ordered anything but the Sicilian anchovies since.

Peter, if you're reading this, consider making an order of six anchovies (instead of four), featuring two-each of the three different types? That way, diners can make a direct comparison - sort of like a "wine tasting," but an "anchovy tasting." This is something I'd order, because if you order only one type, the frame-of-reference is missing, so trying the more-expensive versions by themselves just isn't worth it (to me, anyway).

On 5/10/2018 at 11:56 AM, DonRocks said:

Fried Anchovy Bones with a carafe of 2 Amys' 'No Longer' Rosé - a match made in, well, a match made under the sea and under the soil. Get them, and then try anything and everything else you see that looks or sounds good - do not hesitate to turn yourself over to the hands of Rick and the wonderful bartender Allie: They will help you to dine, and to dine well.

Actually, Peter, if you want to geek-out to the point where you're a total loser, make a tasting plate of 2-each of the 3 anchovies, and *don't co-mingle the anchovy bones* - keep them separate by region, and serve a couple of bones alongside of their meat, so you can have an anchovy bone cross-tasting as well. 🤔

Of course, that would mean three separate fry jobs. 😦

Sometimes I overthink things.

So, a week or so ago we went and saw their DOC designation was revoked. Serenity now!  

Didn’t stop us from ordering their killer vegetable pizza. 

3 hours ago, DaRiv18 said:

So, a week or so ago we went and saw their DOC designation was revoked. Serenity now!  

Didn’t stop us from ordering their killer vegetable pizza. 

Happened a while back.  The Powers That Be in Italy imposed new rules involving something or other -- "peel usage," apparently -- and Peter politely decided not to play ball.  Can't say as I blame him:  "Il Disciplinare" verges on self-parody.  For example, with respect to the wooden "peel" used to insert the pizza into the oven:  The insertion must be done "with a quick wrist movement, holding the peel at an angle of 20-25° from the base of the oven."  Good riddance.

BTW, 2 Amys is closed for a couple of days due to a "technical issue" (per Instagram).

9 hours ago, Marty L. said:

BTW, 2 Amys is closed for a couple of days due to a "technical issue" (per Instagram).

Now upgraded to a minimum of weeks. Burst pipe overnight flooded the place out.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, DanielK said:

Now upgraded to a minimum of weeks. Burst pipe overnight flooded the place out.

Ugh.  That can be a biggie.  Plus insurance companies are none to fast with reimbursements

Sorry to hear about the pipe issue. A couple of weeks ago, I had the prettiest and probably tastiest pizza ever at 2Amys after having eaten here countless times in the past decade or so. It was perfection - squash blossoms, roasted baby zucchini, tomato puree, parsley, cherry tomatos and a big piece of burrata in the center drizzled with olive oil. I usually enjoy the pizza and love the other stuff but this was so seasonal and delicious. Hopefully, the repairs are quick. 

Excellent 'sandwich' post by 2 Amys. I'm so sorry they have to deal with this!! Wishing them the best dealing with their insurers and all the pain-in-the-butt of renovating/rebuilding. Will look forward to when they reopen.