What Is A Chef?

monavano

If I got to a ballgame to the "owner's box," I'd expect the owner would be there.

Dan, I don't know how many owner's boxes you've sat in, but my guess is you would be disappointed a majority of the time! Owner's box is more often the term for the top level VIP suite.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the restaurant's website says that you will be personally served by "Chef Voltaggio and his team..."

The table officially launched last year on December 21st. The number

continues to hold significance, as the table number matches the number of

courses created and personally served by Chef Voltaggio and his team.

If Bryan created those dishes and his team served them, then there is no false advertisement.

Since when is dining an interactive experience with the chef personally?

Since restaurants began marketing Chef Rooms, for a premium, and Chef's tables for a greater premium.

I didn't care that I did not speak to the Chef, I was there for dinner. But I can certainly understand how some could be disappointed, after paying extra for a Chef's table at a "celebrity" Chef's restaurant, and did not meet said Chef.

My quibble was that there were more tables in the Chef's Tasting Room than I imagined, and it was an uncomfortably crowded dining experience. Generally speaking, when you pay the higher fare, you're a bit more comfortable.

If Bryan created those dishes and his team served them, then there is no false advertisement.

I didn't claim there was false advertisement. I said there was a reasonable expectation. The far more common way to interpret that phrase is that Chef Voltaggio and his team collectively create and serve the dishes.

And besides, even if it was meant to be interpreted the way you describe, that's pretty lame to tout it as a unique personal experience if it's going to be not much different, service-wise, than sitting in the dining room.

Dan, I don't know how many owner's boxes you've sat in, but my guess is you would be disappointed a majority of the time! Owner's box is more often the term for the top level VIP suite.

The owner's box at Fedex Field is where the owner sits-Dan Snyder is there at every Redskins game. 'Owner's Box' is not a generic term. That being said, in sports like baseball, where you have a lot of home games, the owner may not be in his or her box at every game. However, the owner is not the star and if you are sitting in his box you didn't pay to get in anyway. But Voltaggio is, and you do. A lot.

The owner's box at Fedex Field is where the owner sits-Dan Snyder is there at every Redskins game. 'Owner's Box' is not a generic term. That being said, in sports like baseball, where you have a lot of home games, the owner may not be in his or her box at every game. However, the owner is not the star and if you are sitting in his box you didn't pay to get in anyway. But Voltaggio is, and you do. A lot.

Just as I'm sure there are some owner's who spend every home game in their personal suite there are some prominent chefs who personally serve and interact with guests at their kitchen tables, but it's not exactly a hard and fast rule. If the chef is sick that evening or away on celebrity chef-related business but the food does not suffer is your meal diminished that much? I suspect the answer to that question will correlate very strongly with the diner's real reason for making a chef's table reservation. It's a tricky business, and I'm sure some people feel suckered if they don't get to meet The Chef, but I can't say that I blame restaurants for taking advantage of that if it puts butts in seats. I don't hide my disdain for what passes as "foodie culture" nowadays very well ...

Don't be pissed if your extraordinary view of the game is "ruined" because the owner is not there to hob nob with you; he or she probably has equally important business to attend to. Have a beer and enjoy the f*@#in' game.

Don't be pissed if your intimate view of talented non-celebrity-chefs preparing your meal is "ruined" because the head chef isn't there to shake your hand and explain what is on your plate; he or she has other guests' interests to attend to and a business to run. Have some more wine and enjoy your f*@#in' food :lol:

Just as I'm sure there are some owner's who spend every home game in their personal suite there are some prominent chefs who personally serve and interact with guests at their kitchen tables, but it's not exactly a hard and fast rule. If the chef is sick that evening or away on celebrity chef-related business but the food does not suffer is your meal diminished that much? I suspect the answer to that question will correlate very strongly with the diner's real reason for making a chef's table reservation. It's a tricky business, and I'm sure some people feel suckered if they don't get to meet The Chef, but I can't say that I blame restaurants for taking advantage of that if it puts butts in seats. I don't hide my disdain for what passes as "foodie culture" nowadays very well ...

Don't be pissed if your extraordinary view of the game is "ruined" because the owner is not there to hob nob with you; he or she probably has equally important business to attend to. Have a beer and enjoy the f*@#in' game.

Don't be pissed if your intimate view of talented non-celebrity-chefs preparing your meal is "ruined" because the head chef isn't there to shake your hand and explain what is on your plate; he or she has other guests' interests to attend to and a business to run. Have some more wine and enjoy your f*@#in' food :lol:

In general I get your sentiment and agree, to an extent. But at the same time, you can't deny that people who go to Table 21 are expecting a special experience (for whatever reason - celeb chef star fucking, great food, celebrating a special occassion, etc). It sounds like from the poster's submission to the chat that the chef was indeed in the restaurant that night, working the kitchen. I tend to agree with them that he could have at least said something to the group of Table 21 diners - a hello, a good evening, some sort of brief welcoming address. No he didn't have to shake each of their hands, no he didn't have to personally deliver and explain each course, but a little acknowledgment in that situation I think is to be expected and not out of line. Now, how upset the diner got is their own thing, can't say something like that would come close to ruining a dining experience for me, and I doubt I'd post/submit to chat about it, but I also can see why the guy might be irked.

The only bit of thought I can add to this discussion is that some people are prescriptive grammarians and other people are descriptive grammarians and it's always gonna be that way. I'm a descriptive grammarian, I think we're a little less stressed.

This all comes down to expectations. I think it's totally reasonable to expect for a chef to make an appearance at his own chef's table, especially when he happens to be working in the restaurant. It's part of the experience implied in the idea of a "chef's table." Hence, the guy's complaint is valid. He had a perfectly valid expectation that was not met. It's not like his expectations was, "Oh, it's called Volt, so I expect for a low voltage current to be applied to my prostate through the meal, gently pulsing through my rectum." It was that a chef should appear at the chef's table. And it's not because "chef's table" has the word "chef" in it, it's because that's what a frakking chef's table IS.

This seems a bit over the top. I'll just comment on Volt, rather than celebrity Chef's in general. Volt has, essentially, FOUR different dining options. (1) The Bar, which serves lite fare and full menu, no reservations, (2) the Dining Room, full ala carte dinner menu, (3) the Chef's Dining Room, tasting menu only, and (4) Table #21, a 21-course tasting menu presented at the Chef's Table.

I don't recall anyone complaining that their meal was "ruined" because Chef Voltaggio neither shook their hand or jerked them off. Rather, I believe the person was disappointed because after weighing their dining options, they paid extra for sometiing they thought was going to be an exclusive and interactive experience, and it was not.

"Oh, it's called Volt, so I expect for a low voltage current to be applied to my prostate through the meal, gently pulsing through my rectum."

I wrote this entire post while so drunk that I don't even remember writing this entire post.

This seems a bit over the top. I'll just comment on Volt, rather than celebrity Chef's in general. Volt has, essentially, FOUR different dining options. (1) The Bar, which serves lite fare and full menu, no reservations, (2) the Dining Room, full ala carte dinner menu, (3) the Chef's Dining Room, tasting menu only, and (4) Table #21, a 21-course tasting menu presented at the Chef's Table.

I don't recall anyone complaining that their meal was "ruined" because Chef Voltaggio neither shook their hand or jerked them off. Rather, I believe the person was disappointed because after weighing their dining options, they paid extra for sometiing they thought was going to be an exclusive and interactive experience, and it was not.

If Options #3 and #4 are the same menu then I would see your point. Can anybody confirm if they are? I thought Table 21 was a unique menu. If so then they were paying extra $$$ for that. If not then they have a right to bitch (but not to be so passive aggressive about it :lol: )

And, yes, my previous post was a little over the top, but not entirely undeserved.

The only bit of thought I can add to this discussion is that some people are prescriptive grammarians and other people are descriptive grammarians and it's always gonna be that way. I'm a descriptive grammarian, I think we're a little less stressed.

As someone with a degree in linguistics I say, "Right on, brother!"

Ah, let me make myself clear. A few places I've been to recently were without their top toques (new dads tending to freshly minted offsprng), which resulted in some less-than-stellar meals.

Do restaurants have signs that says "our chef is out taking care of newborn" somewhere that I don't know about?

Do restaurants have signs that says "our chef is out taking care of newborn" somewhere that I don't know about?

Sometimes chefs talk about it; others have info posted on their FB pages (maybe twitter?). But I've seen a few posts on FB or even through PR.