Corduroy Dinner for DR.com Members

hillvalley

Don could make this The Don Rockwell Society for Eating, Drinking, and all around Debauchery, charge society membership fees, and then according to your level of giving you get into the events!

Until that time, a lottery seems pretty fair and easy to me. :lol:

Hmm, pass the absinthe, I believe I'll sit here on the porch and whup the peasants and do some minor debauchery (is there such a thing as minor debauchery? and why is everyone getting so hyper over a question? Boy-howdy, you should see the questions I could have asked) :huh:

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmm, pass the absinthe, I believe I'll sit here on the porch and whup the peasants and do some minor debauchery (is there such a thing as minor debauchery? and why is everyone getting so hyper over a question?  Boy-howdy, you should see the questions I could have asked)  :lol:

It is not hyper over the specific question, just some remembering of things that helped to bring this site to be.

It is not hyper over the specific question, just some remembering of things that helped to bring this site to be.

That's the problem with coming in in the middle, no legacy knowlege. That's why I like to ask those questions. Sometimes I get a lot more answer than I want, but I always learn something. Thanks Mike.

The lottery is fair, but in retrospect, we should have probably closed the signup for this particular event a day or two ago.

Does three business days sound fair? Especially given that y'all are considerate enough to give us preannouncements when such events are upcoming. I say BDs, since I'm sure just as there are some members who don't have weekday/daytime access to the boards, there are likewise members who don't have time over the weekend or holidays to view the boards.

Looking back at the message trail, even cutting it off on the 30th would've left us with a draw of about 80 people for 56 slots, versus the current count of almost 120.

I think limiting the pool buildup time would also help keep our lovely event organizers sane, especially when there are multiple events that are being coordinated at once.

Edited by Principia

It's something that Don and I will talk about. Thanks for the suggestion. I think for now we can put the issue to bed and move back to the topic at hand, the Corduroy dinner.

If anyone is interested in hearing how and why the board was created feel free to ask, just not in a thread. It is a great Happy Hour story and one I will happily tell for the price of a drink or two :lol:

I was asking this question myself recently.  There were a number of good answers given as to why menus are, in most cases, a surprise.  Perhaps the one that struck me the most was: "Chef will likely want to prepare the dishes using ingredients he/she finds to be the most perfect on that given day.  He/She won't know what that is now."

I don't want to know ahead of time that scallops are going to be on the menu and then the only scallops Tom Power can get his hands on that day happen to suck.  I'll thank him for passing them by.

In response to some concerns about our menu, CrescentFresh is absolutely correct about what ingredients we may get for any particular day. Chef Tom Power, as most people know, will only accept the freshest quality he could get. A lot of times he would order Sea Bass the night before, and lo and behold, he receives Fluke the following morning. :lol: If he receives Sea Scallops that are not up to par to his standards, he would actually and absolutely not serve it and return it to the fishmongers. Chef Tom works simplistic wonders by cooking and serving what’s available for the week, more often, for the day—that’s just his style. You can almost imagine him walking thru an open market and selecting only the freshest ingredients the season has to offer.

Any food issues or allergy concerns are taken seriously. As long as the staff is informed in advance or at the table and as long as it's available, we are usually flexible with offering an alternate solution. The only concern we have is when suddenly 30 guests may start requesting changes and it delays service. As long as guests can sit back, relax and enjoy the experience, we always try to accommodate everyone.

Thank you all, we are most appreciative and as enthusiastic as you are about this DR Dinner!

Here is the list with your lottery numbers.

Let me know ASAP if you see any problems with this infromation.

Stay tuned to this channel for future information.

1. MBK +1

2. cucas87

3. RaisaB +1

4. crackers +1

5. Skysplitter

6. DanielK +1

7. jjshyne +1

8. porcupine +1

9. Roo +1

10. Principia +1

11. zoramargolis +1

12. Tweaked

13. Billy DeLion +1

14. catherine

15. Barbara +1

16. MeMc +1

17. ctay122 +1

18. bilrus

19. Pappy +1

20. B.A.R. +1

21. gnatharobed +1

22. Biotech +1

23. Jlock +1

24. clayrae +1

25. lackadaisi +1

26. Connave

27. Scott Johnston

28. NCPinDC +1

29. Shogun

30. JPW +1

31. Jacques Gastreaux +1

32. VandyHoo +1

33. demvtr +1

34. escoffier +1

35. gary tanigawa

36. ustreetguy +1

37. cooter +1

38. v.h. +1

39. rvanrens +1

40. dcdavidm +1

41. babka +1

42. moniquedc +1

43. MMM +1

44. NewFoodie +1

45. Pete +1

46. StephenB

47. silentbob +1

48. crazeegirl +1

49. MrPorcupine +1

50. Buckinghamilton +1

51. crescentfresh +1

52. black sheep +1

53. scottreitz +1

54. JLK +1

55. giuinha

56. butternut +1

57. ScotteeM +1

58. Giancarlo Buonarotti +1

59. eating out

60. sashorter

61. eoksala +1

62. MsEB +1

63. rbh

64. tdubbs +1

I THINK I may have received a little "good luck" charm for this event this afternoon. I went out to do some shopping and, on my way to the bank, who do you think saw me walking across the street and gave me a shout out? None other than the Very Dishy Tom Brown, Waiter Extraodinaire at Corduroy! Oh, I could into how DC is really a small town at heart, but I don't want to make the suburbanites among us jealous. He pointed out that his brother, "Dreamy Derek", lives--I won't even tell you how many FEET from my building. :lol::huh::)

Lord, I love this town.

Not quite yet - these are just our assigned lottery numbers.  They still have to post the order of the drawn numbers, right?

Correct. I'll do the lottery this morning at 11 AM, the same way I did it with the Ray's The Steaks dinner, except I'll use "64" as the upper bound. Click here for the post explaining how it works, and read the following 5-10 postings after that to see how it went.

Good luck to everyone in advance,

Rocks

Okay here are the attendees (I did this very quickly, and checked it for accuracy one time, but I can't guarantee it's correct until I doublecheck):

56 butternut + 1

19 Pappy + 1

35 gary tanigawa

8 porcupine + 1

43 MMM + 1

20 B.A.R. + 1

41 babka + 1

55 guinha

63 rbh

45 Pete + 1

7 jjshyne + 1

16 MeMc

44 NewFoodie + 1

25 lackadaisi + 1

54 JLK + 1

61 eoksala + 1

47 silentbob + 1

12 Tweaked

2 cucas87

29 Shogun

42 moniquedc + 1

27 Scott Johnson

24 clayrae + 1

60 sashorter

30 JPW + 1

18 bilrus

57 ScotteeM + 1

58 Giancarlo Buonarotti _+ 1

31 Jacques Gastreaux + 1

22 Biotech + 1

40 dcdavidm + 1

46 StephenB

15 Barbara + 1

And that makes 55.

First twenty people on the waiting list are:

34 escoffier + 1

13 Billy DeLion + 1

5 Skysplitter

4 crackers + 1

62 MsEB + 1

37 cooter + 1

17 ctay122 + 1

39 rvanrens + 1

33 demvtr + 1

50 Buckinghamilton + 1

51 crescentfresh + 1

Congratulations to those selected in the lottery for the 56 spaces. For those of you that were selected, please PM me with your email address AND full name so that I can send you the Paypal bill. The amount will be slightly higher as I will need to add the small fee for processing via Paypal.

Now the administrative, but important information.

I will mail out invoices and payment will be due by 5pm on Tuesday Feb. 14th. Failure to pay ontime will result in losing your spot and someone from the waitlist will be selected.

People not selected please read this post below

56. butternut +1

19. Pappy +1

35. gary tanigawa

8. porcupine +1

43. MMM +1

20. B.A.R. +1

41. babka +1

55. giuinha

63. rbh

45. Pete +1

7. jjshyne +1

16. MeMc +1

44. NewFoodie +1

25. lackadaisi +1

54. JLK +1

61. eoksala +1

47. silentbob +1

12. Tweaked

2. cucas87

29. Shogun

42. moniquedc +1

27. Scott Johnston

24. clayrae +1

60. sashorter

30. JPW +1

18. bilrus

57. ScotteeM +1

58. Giancarlo Buonarotti +1

31. Jacques Gastreaux +1

22. Biotech +1

40. dcdavidm +1

46. StephenB

15. Barbara +1

Here are the first 10 on the wait list.

34. escoffier +1

13. Billy DeLion +1

5. Skysplitter

4. crackers +1

62. MsEB +1

37. cooter +1

17. ctay122 +1

39. rvanrens +1

33. demvtr +1

50. Buckinghamilton +1

Edited by mdt

Sore loser here. I still think someone with math skills should devise a formula so that length of membership (ie. member number) combined with activity as a poster (ie. number of boxes) provides an advantage over lurkers and newbies in these lotteries. Too many stalwarts and active participants get excluded in this system, and ultimately I think it effects the comaraderie at the dinner, if there is a large number of people present who aren't known on the board, but just get involved in order to take advantage of a special dinner.

This is not to say that I do not appreciate all of the effort involved in organizing these get togethers. I do! And I'm glad that Barbara will get to go to this one.

Tom has decided he'll close down the restaurant the next night (Wednesday, March 1st) as well if we can get 55 more people, and do the exact same menu for the same price.

The cardinal rule will be: none of the Tuesday attendees can post about the meal until Thursday.

Don't get your hopes up about this until we've achieved critical mass, because if the numbers don't come out, we can't do it.

Hope you're not busy at work today, mdt.

Rocks

Sore loser here. I still think someone with math skills should devise a formula so that length of  membership (ie. member number) combined with activity as a poster (ie. number of boxes) provides an advantage over lurkers and newbies in these lotteries. Too many stalwarts and active participants get excluded in this system, and ultimately I think it effects the comaraderie at the dinner, if there is a large number of people present who aren't known on the board, but just get involved in order to take advantage of a special dinner.

This is not to say that I do not appreciate all of the effort involved in organizing these get togethers. I do! And I'm glad that Barbara will get to go to this one.

Contented Winner Here.

Although I agree with some of your sentiments, I suspect you might agree that dozens of daily pithy comments and happy face replies should not necessarily be rewarded.

I also suspect, Zora, that you might agree I am pretty good dining company despite being more of a lurker than a poster on this board.

Sore loser here. I still think someone with math skills should devise a formula so that length of  membership (ie. member number) combined with activity as a poster (ie. number of boxes) provides an advantage over lurkers and newbies in these lotteries. Too many stalwarts and active participants get excluded in this system, and ultimately I think it effects the comaraderie at the dinner, if there is a large number of people present who aren't known on the board, but just get involved in order to take advantage of a special dinner.

This thread isn't the place to discuss that, but it positively affects the camraderie of the board to have more new people become more actively involved as a result of attending one of the events.

As member #33 with 535 posts, I would certainly get preferential treatment under your plan. But I want to see this continue to be a growing, vibrant community.

Tom has decided he'll close down the restaurant the next night (Wednesday, March 1st) as well if we can get 55 more people, and do the exact same menu for the same price. 

The cardinal rule will be:  none of the Tuesday attendees can post about the meal until Thursday.

Don't get your hopes up about this until we've achieved critical mass, because if the numbers don't come out, we can't do it. 

Hope you're not busy at work today, mdt.

Rocks

OK, for those that were NOT selected in the lottery for Tuesday night, but can come on Wednesday March 1st PM me with your request. Once we see if we have enough people then I will deal with the potential headache of people wanting to switch days.

As for those selected for Tuesday, I also need to know if you will be getting the wine pairing with your meal.

eta: Send PMs versus emails, sorry about that.

Edited by mdt

Zora, I am sorry you are disappointed but this topic has been discussed at nauseum. It's done. There is no way we are going to please anyone and we can't keep trying. There are members of the board who do not feel comfortable posting but are still a part of this community. They, and new members, are as welcome as those who have over 500 posts.

If anyone has comments they would like to share with Don and I please do so through PM. Otherwise let's bring the conversation back to the dinner.

Hey, you're not that far down. If the experience with Ray's cancellations was anything to go by, you may well end up making it in - I was fairly far back on the waiting list for that one and finally lucked out.

Thanks, I feel a little better.... :lol:

I TOLD you that running into Tom Brown yesterday would bring me luck! :huh:

And, Zora, I missed out on the Restaurant Eve dinner as well as the Ray's dinner. But, the absurdly warm weather today is making me look forward to a Spring picnic, where NOBODY is a loser (except for Rocks who never joins us :lol: ).

Huzzah! I think we can do it - wasn't the list up to almost 120 people when we did the lottery?

If there's anyone who wants to swap nights, Tuesday works slightly better for me than Wednesday... :lol:

Edited by Principia

Um, don't we have 55 more people? 56 plus 55 equals 111, and the final list count was at least 113, wasn't it?

Yes, but since everyone was planning on the 28th they may not be available for the 1st. We need to have a definitive count before Tom will close down for a second night in a row. This is a very generous offer and I do expect many PMs.

Just so this does not become an administrative nightmare for me I need to ask a favor. For right now please send me a PM for Wednesday only if you were on the original list and not selected. We will offer spots to those folks first and then figure out how to handle the new additions (that I figured we would get). Is this fair? I have no idea, but I am trying to keep things somewhat organized.

And a reminder to all, let me know if you want the wine pairing with your dinner when you send me your email and real name.

Just so this does not become an administrative nightmare for me I need to ask a favor.  For right now please send me a PM for Wednesday only if you were on the original list and not selected.  We will offer spots to those folks first and then figure out how to handle the new additions (that I figured we would get).  Is this fair?  I have no idea, but I am trying to keep things somewhat organized.

And a reminder to all, let me know if you want the wine pairing with your dinner when you send me your email and real name.

Just a thought to consider (devils advocate)--I think we need to check with the admin powers that be....I understand the need to keep it organized and simple, but let me propose that one may not have been able to make the 28th, and therefore did not put one's name in for that day, in hopes that would also have given those who could actually make it a better odds at getting in. That person would then have the possibility of being excluded because of doing the "right" thing?

**edited to say that the admin powers that be have already chimed in whilst I was typing away...Sorry for the delayed response, but I do still want to make the point. Time to whip up a spreadsheet, me thinks!

I have a spreadsheet and I am doing what I need to keep things in order. What happens if I have a total of 70 slots for the 55 on Wednesday? Have another lottery? Select those that buy me a nice bottle of wine? :lol: If we do another lottery then some people may be excluded twice. There is no easy way to deal with this, but we are doing the best we can. As of right now only 6 people form the WL have chimed in so the 2nd night is not even guaranteed at this point.

Or make someone besides mdt responsible for the second dinner...

Then two of us would have to deal with the swapping of night and such. If we relax and take this as outlined above I think everyone will be happy.

Edited by mdt

Member Jim G is in town and staying at my place for a couple days, so I'm having him be a witness to the drawing.

Here goes...

We're not even sure YOU exist, so how can we trust the veracity of this newbie...uhhh.....never mind..... I'M IN!

Looking forward to meeting all you at the dinner, and this seems an exceptionally fair way to handle the process. A community grows when new people are welcomed in as equals. I enjoy the opportunity to meet people that come from various walks of life and share a common passion. And I hope people like meeting me too!

Edited by B.A.R.

For those of you who made the cut and/or who are on the waiting list but thinking of jumping ship to the embryonic 3/1 dinner, I refer you to the old saw: "A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush." Once you jump ship, you are in the water with no guanrantee of a lifeboat. Perhaps once both lists have become firm there will be some trading back and forth between the evenings.

I'm not optimistic that we're going to fill this second evening, but I was faced with two choices: not mention it and guarantee 50+ people would be shut out, or mention it and see what happens.

I think it's going to be difficult to fill, so please don't get your hopes up.

Why don't you let mdt know right now if you're interested? Scroll up to the previous post, click on "PM," and reserve your spot.

Guests, please feel free to register and join the event. Click here.

Cheers,

Rocks

Here is a list of those on the waiting list that I have not heard from concerning March 1st.

Billy DeLion

Skysplitter

crackers

MsEB

cooter

rvanrens

RaisaB

zoramargolis

scottreitz

Jlock

NCPinDC

tdubbs

catherine

Roo

gnatharobed

black sheep

crazeegirl

VandyHoo

MrPorcupine

eating out

Here is a list of those on the waiting list that I have not heard from concerning March 1st.

Billy DeLion

Skysplitter

crackers

MsEB

cooter

rvanrens

RaisaB

zoramargolis

scottreitz

Jlock

NCPinDC

tdubbs

catherine

Roo

gnatharobed

black sheep

crazeegirl

VandyHoo

MrPorcupine

eating out

How many people have you heard from who want to go? What are our numbers like so far?

Please respond by 5pm on Monday Feb. 6th if you are on the WL and have not responded yet. After that we will have open signups to get us to the magic number which I am going to close by 5pm on Wednesday Feb. 8th.

As a note, everyone please be certain (as much as you can be) about attending on the 1st as Tom is going to be closing the restaurant based upon the response.

If, and I mean IF, we get the numbers for a second night then we can play the swap game.

Please respond by 5pm on Monday Feb. 6th if you are on the WL and have not responded yet.  After that we will have open signups to get us to the magic number which I am going to close by 5pm on Wednesday Feb. 8th.

As a note, everyone please be certain (as much as you can be) about attending on the 1st as Tom is going to be closing the restaurant based upon the response.

If, and I mean IF, we get the numbers for a second night then we can play the swap game.

I have a question. I am on the waitlist for Tuesday night (as a matter of fact, I am first on the waitlist) and have responded to the possibility of the second night to cover myself and my wish to participate in what sounds to be an excellent dining adventure. What happens if for some reason, someone drops out of the Tuesday night dinner and I am suddenly elevated to the esteemed ranks of the first nighters? There now exists the possibility that the second night will be short 1 or 2 fressers...does the list now become open once again for new people? Do I now have to show up two consecutive nights at Corduroy (which is not a fate worse than death but might be a bit deflating to the wallet), do I have to suggest someone to take my place on the second night list? Ohmigawd, I'm so confused.... :lol: