Corduroy Dinner for DR.com Members

hillvalley

I have a question.  I am on the waitlist for Tuesday night (as a matter of fact, I am first on the waitlist) and have responded to the possibility of the second night to cover myself and my wish to participate in what sounds to be an excellent dining adventure.  What happens if for some reason, someone drops out of the Tuesday night dinner and I am suddenly elevated to the esteemed ranks of the first nighters?  There now exists the possibility that the second night will be short 1 or 2 fressers...does the list now become open once again for new people?  Do I now have to show up two consecutive nights at Corduroy (which is not a fate worse than death but might be a bit deflating to the wallet), do I have to suggest someone to take my place on the second night list?  Ohmigawd, I'm so confused.... :lol:

Good question.

When we started we had more than enough to fill both nights (presuming that everyone was free both night, which is not the case) so theoretically we should be fine. There are also plenty of non-WL members that PM'd me to let me know that they could attend on the second night. This should help to fill in any drop-outs, which I hope are few.

We want to let Tom know about the second night ASAP and that is why I put deadlines for responses in my previous post.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Right now we have 29 seats filled for the second night from folks on the WL. There are also 15 seats from people that have PM'd me about being able to attend dinner on the second night. So, I still need to hear from the WL group and it looks like we will need others to make the second night a go.

Right now we have 29 seats filled for the second night from folks on the WL.  There are also 15 seats from people that have PM'd me about being able to attend dinner on the second night. So, I still need to hear from the WL group and it looks like we will need others to make the second night a go.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we'd need 56 for Tom to close, correct?

Here is the deal folks-this has turned into a bigger logistical nightmare than mdt bargained for.

So, if you want to participate you will do the simple steps that mdt asks, the first time he asks. :lol:

There will not be hand holding this time around.

Before you PM him with any questions please read this FAQ. It should answer most of your questions and explain paypal. If there is anything that is unclear let me know and I will edit it.

We do not know what time the dinner is and will announce it as soon as we do. Otherwise, sit tight, watch the thread for updates and keep mdt's life as easy as possible.

We now return you to your normally scheduled programming. Thanks!

Please respond by 5pm on Monday Feb. 6th if you are on the WL and have not responded yet.  After that we will have open signups to get us to the magic number which I am going to close by 5pm on Wednesday Feb. 8th.

As a note, everyone please be certain (as much as you can be) about attending on the 1st as Tom is going to be closing the restaurant based upon the response.

If, and I mean IF, we get the numbers for a second night then we can play the swap game.

I guess all on the WL that are going to respond have respond so as the original post (see quote above) states the second night dinner is open to other members that did not originally sign up.

Last count shows a total of 42 people on the list so we need at least 13 more to make this happen. PMs will be accepted until 5pm on Wednesday Feb. 8th.

I am in the final run to see if the second night will be a go. I need confirmation for each member below ASAP. There is still room for a couple more if you have not PM'd me.

ctay122 +1

Principia +1

scottreitz +1

tdubbs +1

v.h. +1

VandyHoo +1

eating out

squidsdc +1

NotQuickDraw +1

Camille-Beau +1

dcfoodie +1

jm chen

Hannah

laniloa

Update. The decision for the second night dinner should be decided later today and Paypal invoices will go out this evening or early tomorrow morning.

The final costs with the nomial Paypal fee:

$122 for dinner with wine

$71 for dinner only

This is in response to a couple of PMs that I received. Due to the fact that Chef Power is putting together a wine pairing with the dinner we are not going to allow folks to bring a bottle and pay corkage.

If you have any questions or concerns please send me a PM.

Alrighty folks the decision is in...

...we will have the DR.com dinner on both Tuesday Feb. 28th and Wednesday March 1st.

I want to thank all of you for your prompt repsonses so far. I am now going to work out the T/W swapping that I emailed you about and put up the lists of who will be attended on which night.

On a side note, there are still slots available to hit the maximum limit on either night so other members can sign up or others can bring extra guests. There are only a limited number of slots each night, so I am going to do first come first served.

Paypal emails will go out tomorrow morning and I want them to be paid by Wednesday Feb. 15th.

Here is the Tuesday list

mdt +1

butternut +1

Pappy +1

principia +1

Billy DeLion +1

MMM +1

B.A.R. +1

babka +1

rbh

Pete +1

jjshyne +1

MeMc +1

NewFoodie +1

lackadaisi +1

JLK +1

eoksala +1

silentbob +1

Tweaked

cucas87

Shogun

moniquedc +1

Scott Johnston

clayrae +1

sashorter

JPW +1

bilrus

RaisaB +1

escoffier +1

Jacques Gastreaux +1

Biotech +1

dcdavidm +1

StephenB

zoramargolis +1

Here is the Wednesday list...

hillvalley +1

Skysplitter

MsEB +1

cooter +1

ctay122 +1

demvtr +1

crescentfresh +1

scottreitz +1

tdubbs +1

v.h. +1

catharine

Connave

DanielK +1

MBK +1

ustreetguy +1

VandyHoo +1

booklovingbabe

Heather

squidsdc

NotQuickDraw +1

Camille-Beau +1

rvanrens +1

dcfoodie +1

collije

Lydia R

jm chen

Sthitch

crazeegirl

LoganCircle

reverbbrad +1

NCPinDC

porcupine +1

ScotteeM +1

Barbara +1

gary tanigawa

eta: remove a duplicate

Edited by mdt

The lists are in the 2 previous posts. If you do not see your name or your +1 designation is incorrect let me know ASAP.

I am sure there will be a small number of requests to swap from T to W or W to T. Unless it means that you cannot attend, please hold off on PMing me until I get the Paypal stuff done.

The logic there escapes me.  If there were no pairing, most people would order wine.  What's the difference?

Chef Powers is going to considerable effort to present us with a 5+ course meal, including tax and tip, for an amazingly generous $71. He also has a very reasonably priced and high quality wine list from which we can order wines by the glass or bottle if we choose not to go with the full wine pairing. I completely understand being asked to forego corkage for the evening.

Em, sorry, are you saying that it doesn't start at 7pm? Or that we should be there at 7pm and then let the evening roll along.

Sorry, I have to ask to get out of work early that night (I work second shift) so if the times are a-changing, I need to modify my time off request.

Many many salutes to MDT, Hillvalley and the rest for handling this :lol:

We will be seated promptly at 7pm and service will start shortly after that. You can arrive early if you like and enjoy a drink in the lounge.

Paypal payments were just sent out to everyone on the list for whom I have an email address. For you couple of straglers, check your PM inbox and get me your email address.

If you did not get an email from me or your invoice is incorrect then let me know ASAP. What you pay for is what you get so if you are expecting wine and you are paying for just dinner, you are not getting the wine pairing.

Paying is easy and quick so please do it promptly.

Just a friendly reminder that the deadline to pay is Wed. Feb. 15th at 5pm.

And here's a not-so-friendly reminder: given that organizing these two Corduroy dinners has basically become an exercise in crowd control, I have authorized mdt and hillvalley to eliminate all concern for the individual, and to be ruthless and mean.

Pay now or die.

Rocks

We have had a couple of folks bow out and we therefore have a couple of spots available for each night. Right now there is 1 spot for Tuesday and 4 spots for Wednesday. Feel free to invite friends, new members, or whomever, just let me know so that we can make sure to fill each night.

Tuesday Night Dinner List

mdt +1

Pappy +1

Pete +1

MeMc +1

NewFoodie +1

lackadaisi +1

eoksala +1

moniquedc +1

RaisaB +1

dcdavidm +1

butternut +1

jjshyne +1

JPW +1

escoffier +1

Jacques Gastreaux +1

Tweaked

cucas87

Shogun

bilrus

rbh

Scott Johnston

StephenB

sashorter

principia +1

Billy DeLion +1

MMM +1

silentbob +1

Biotech +1

zoramargolis +1

babka +1

jm chen +1

Gastro888

If you are not on or there is a count mistake it let me know.

eta: added to the list

Edited by mdt

Wednesday Night Dinner List

hillvalley

MsEB +1

cooter +1

ctay122 +1

scottreitz +1

MBK +1

ustreetguy +1

VandyHoo +1

NotQuickDraw +1

Camille-Beau +1

dcfoodie +1

ScotteeM +1

Barbara +1

tdubbs +1

DanielK +1

porcupine +1

Connave

booklovingbabe

Heather

Lydia R

Sthitch

LoganCircle

gary tanigawa

demvtr +1

Skysplitter

catharine +1

NCPinDC

collije

v.h. +1

squidsdc +1

reverbbrad +1

clayrae +1

If you are not on it or there is a count mistake let me know.

eta: an addition

Edited by mdt

A coworker just came into my office to see if I wanted to go to "that bar in the hotel with cheap Guiness and spring rolls for happy hour" that I am always talking about. I told her it was closed for a private party. She shook her head, laughed and said that I know too much about the DC dining scene :lol:

How is the parking down near 1201 K street( Corduroy)? I am assuming there will be no valet tonight.

Note, I am not expecting valet, Open table says there is complimentry valet.

Scott

There is complementary valet parking in the hotel parking lot. Just make sure that you get it stamped at some point during the evening.

Assuming you all are there late enough, don't worry if you get out and the garage appears closed. Just go to the conceige's (sp?) desk and they will retrieve your call for you.

If you want to park on the street it becomes legal at 6:30pm.

There is complementary valet parking in the hotel parking lot.  Just make sure that you get it stamped at some point during the evening. 

Assuming you all are there late enough, don't worry if you get out and the garage appears closed.  Just go to the conceige's (sp?) desk and they will retrieve your call for you.

If you want to park on the street it becomes legal at 6:30pm.

While it become legal at 630p there are plenty of metered spaces that don't require too many quarters.

And the metro is pretty close too.

Just a quick request for those who are dining tonight.

Please don't post on the meal until Thursday and allow those dining on Wednesday to have the same sense of surprise as the menu comes out of the kitchen as we will have tonight.

Just a quick request for those who are dining tonight.

Please don't post on the meal until Thursday and allow those dining on Wednesday to have the same sense of surprise as the menu comes out of the kitchen as we will have tonight.

This is a requirement and I will make sure to emphasize it tonight.

I just got this PM from someone who attended last night's dinner. Now that I know about it, I'd be remiss if I didn't pass it on.

Forewarned is forearmed,

Rocks.

"I parked ... on 12th street, right in front of the hotel where Corduroy is, last night at 6:30 p.m. When I came out at 11 p.m., I found that the passenger rear window had been broken in and the car was ransacked. Several items, including my briefcase and overcoat (which were in the truck), were stolen. ... We might want to warn everyone tonight to park in the garage."

OK, it's Wednesday night.  Anyone ready to spill?

It was amazing! Food was spectacular! Service was amazing! Overall, a wonderful event. Thank you to everyone who worked so hard to put this together (especially Tom and Rissa).

Sorry I can't expound more now.

Last night was wonderful. I left my menu at the restaurant but I will give a brief summary, I am sure Crackers will post the pix and descriptions.

Amuse Bouche was a Duck Rillette on Toast

A celeraic soup with Lobster Carpaccio

Shrimp Tartare

Pork Cheeks

Venison

Squash Tart

Lemon Merengues

Assorted Cookies and Dried Fruits.

Service was impeccable. They staggered the service from table to table, which worked beautifully. It gave us ample time in between courses to converse with our dinner companions and truly enjoy the food.

Tom Power and Rissa went over the top with this. As did Farhat and the rest of the service staff. I can't believe they were able to accomodate us as well as they did.

I will post pictures of the attendees in a bit, but Thank You to Tom, Rissa, and staff. It was amazing.

Edited by RaisaB

The meal was very good. In our case, we thought it may have been a little too long between courses, but this isn't the thing Corduroy is probably used to doing often, the food didn't suffer, and we did enjoy our table.

Our table was a non wine pairing table although we all did buy by the glass. I sat with my wife (non member), Billy DeLion and his lovely wife, and rbh and his companion.

The verbatim menu with my notes was:

Amuse-bouche

Duck Rilettes (pate)

First Course

Celeriac soup with lobster carpaccio

-very rich soup with a really sweet paper thin

lobster.

Second Course

Sweet Maine shrimp tartare with meyer lemon

-flavor was good, but they must have held this

together with cornstarch, because the mouthfeel was a

bit gummy

Third Course

Niman Ranch braised pork cheek with black truffle and

egg noodle

-As good as the pork belly. Fantastic.

Fourth Course

Roast loin of venison, chestnut potato puree, syrah

reduction

-Another winner. Served rare, everyone was finding

ways to mop up the reduction. The potato chestnut

puree was nice, and pleasantly savory, not sweet.

Desserts

Kobocha squash tart with ginger ice cream and licorice

sauce

-This was a mistake I thought. I thought it would be pureed,

but it was chunks of starch. The ice cream was superb,

but the squash was not good. Licorice made it too

bitter as well. Chef took a chance with this one, and most plates

had quite a bit of squash left on them.

Brazo de Mercedes, bergamot sauce.

-We couldn't stay for this one. It was going on 3.5 hours, so we had to

bail and get home to the kids and relieve our baby sitters.

All in all, it was a fun time and a very rich meal. Hope tonight's guests enjoyed it as much as our crew did. The wine pairing tables seemed to REALLY enjoy dinner.

They weren't shy with the pours for the pairings. I saw more than one glass refilled during a course when it ran dry.

Staff were attentive and worked really hard. Rissa was gracious and made a short speech of thanks to the whole DR community.

I didn't post any other pix as I am not sure of the rules on this, but I am sure someone will let me know. :lol:

[beats me. I guess the rule is: make sure to ask everyone in the picture first. Now that I've said that, please don't discuss policy stuff in this thread. Thank yoooooo! Carry on, Rocks]

Last night the good times did roll.

First, a shout out to the one person without whom we would not have been there last night THANK YOU MDT!!! Really, as hillvalley, or anybody who has put an off-line together – this took a whole lot of mdt’s time to put together, especially with the inevitable last minute snafus, and flu. If his present career doesn’t pan out, he should seriously consider being a professional party planner. The prize drawings and name tags were a hoot!

I’m going to leave the description of the courses to others because I enjoyed it all and am not as descriptive as they will be. (ok, squash for dessert was a challenge – but only because I whine when I don’t get Chef's chocolate tart.) The staff did a great job keeping everything rolling along. Water and bread baskets always filled, crumbs removed, plates carefully placed (they set my plate down just so, then nudged it around until it was at the optimal viewing angle, and moved on to my left and did exactly the same thing, and so on around the table), questions about the wines answered. My one quibble: the staff didn’t make any attempt to tell the “Rowdy Table” to pipe down - they were simply having way, way too good a time, and Rissa did nothing, nothing! to stop them! :lol:fun enough for her. All I can say is, thank goodness nobody on the staff was tossing out beads - things might have really gotten out of hand...] I also appreciated the pacing - I had nowhere else to go afterwards and it was Mardi Gras!

I also want to thank Chef for taking time out at the end of the evening to meet us and talk a little about the meal, and introduce us to his stellar, hard working staff. Thank you all!

-flavor was good, but they must have held this together with cornstarch, because the mouthfeel was a bit gummy

(no, the shrimp tartare did not have corn starch, or emulsified scallops or anything of the sort on them, as Chef explained when he came out to talk with us: they were bound with a simple olive oil mixture.)

Since someone suggested I post photos, I will do that, so either bear with it, or scoot down to the next post.

Celaric soup with lobster carpaccio post-46-1141264475_thumb.jpg

Sweet Maine shrimp tartare with meyer lemon post-46-1141265972_thumb.jpg

Niman Ranch braised pork cheek with black truffle and egg noodle post-46-1141264683_thumb.jpg

Roast loin of venison, chestnut puree and Syrah sauce post-46-1141264736_thumb.jpg

Kabocha squash tart, ginger ice cream and licorice sauce post-46-1141264802_thumb.jpg

Brazo de Mercedes, Bergamont sauce post-46-1141264903_thumb.jpg

Edited by crackers