Pasta Plus, Laurel - Fraternal Owners Massimo "Max" and Sabatino Mazziotti's Homemade Pasta on Route 198 and Route 1

On 1/7/2020 at 11:52 PM, DonRocks said:

Are they still storing the reds along the wall? Grr ...

Yes.

To report back on wait time, we got there about 7pm Friday and waited less than 10 minutes for a table as a party of two. Everything was delicious!

• Like 1

Sadly, the only reason to go to Laurel has gone away, along with the best Italian food within a few dozen miles of it.  40 years is a great run.  That was my family's pizza pickup as a kid before delivery pizza existed, and my carryout splurge through my 30s. 

Pasta Plus Restaurant & Italian Market, Laurel, Maryland

Dear Pasta Plus Customers,

For nearly 40 years, we have had the great honor of serving our community and sharing the food that is so close to our hearts. With a happy heart and immense amount of gratitude, we have decided to close Pasta Plus Restaurant & Market.

No amount of words can truly express our appreciation and thankfulness for our customers and your continued support. Whether you've only shared a meal with us once or if you were a regular who attended wine dinners and our trips to Italy - being able to serve you and get to know you has been an opportunity of a lifetime and is something so special to us. The memories you have given us during our decades in Laurel will be cherished forever.

From the bottom of our hearts - thank you to our customers, thank you to the City of Laurel, and thank you to the Pasta Plus team. You all have made our dream possible.

Ciao!

Max & Sabatino

• Sad 3

This makes me very sad. My husband and I went there a lot when we lived in Greenbelt, before they added the second part of it. The last either of us was there he was to dinner with his best friend, who lives in Baltimore. I'm sorry I didn't get back again😞

4 hours ago, Pat said:

This makes me very sad. My husband and I went there a lot when we lived in Greenbelt, before they added the second part of it. The last either of us was there he was to dinner with his best friend, who lives in Baltimore. I'm sorry I didn't get back again😞

Wow - I first came here in the mid-1980s, and even though I haven't been to either in forever, I'll miss Pasta Plus like I miss Sergio.

• Like 2

They have re-opened for carryout pizza, calzones, and wine, and only on Wednesdays.  Orders are so backed up already that they have turned them off.  I assume this is inventory reduction of the wine, but remain hopeful that they will turn this into something else.  Rumors are that they wanted to sell but couldn't find a buyer.  I am surprised because the pasta dishes and few other things were good enough that they should be worth something as trade secrets, but that location is putrid so I get it.

https://pastaplusrestaurant.square.site/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/10/2022 at 3:43 PM, Toogs said:

They have re-opened for carryout pizza, calzones, and wine, and only on Wednesdays.  Orders are so backed up already that they have turned them off.  I assume this is inventory reduction of the wine, but remain hopeful that they will turn this into something else.  Rumors are that they wanted to sell but couldn't find a buyer.  I am surprised because the pasta dishes and few other things were good enough that they should be worth something as trade secrets, but that location is putrid so I get it.

https://pastaplusrestaurant.square.site/

It is not a great location from a 'hey that's a great environment ', but it is at the nexus of two major roads and between a major interstate and BW Parkway, so it is easy for people to get there and with them owning the buiding parking is not bad.

I was crushed when they closed. We continued our regular amost once a week ordering carry out from there. During the pandemic I routinely tipped 30-40% as well for those carry out orders.

But this re-opening, even if it is only temporary, is refreshing and makes me so happy. I'd love to see someone take over the business and buy it and the trade secrets (their tomato sauce is unique and delicious for example), but I suspect the price may be too high since they might be wanting to sell not just the restaurant but the building itself. Maybe if they de-couple the transaction and sell the restaurant first, they could then take their time finding a buying for the strip mall.  That said, anyone buying that strip mall would likely tear it down for some new or different entirely.

Thing is, they have the order window so locked down right now, they sell out the following Wednesday orders in less than an hour. Time opens the Thursday before at 6PM and blammo they sell out - every week is like this.

• Like 2

Ahh yeah I just meant the parking and the quality of the strip mall.  They never had any trouble getting customers but I have to think the value of the building isn't too great.  I hadn't thought about the idea of razing that strip and building something else there though, so that's a good point.  That stretch could really use another drug store :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Toogs said:

Ahh yeah I just meant the parking and the quality of the strip mall.  They never had any trouble getting customers but I have to think the value of the building isn't too great.  I hadn't thought about the idea of razing that strip and building something else there though, so that's a good point.  That stretch could really use another drug store :rolleyes:

or another used car lot haha

I was expecting more of the Konterra development to have been completed by this point to perhaps bring some more population and disposable dollars to Laurel, but those folks are really dragging their feet. Seems like they missed a massive opportunity for the last 3+ years when interest rates for mortgages were ridiculously low.