Old Ebbitt Grill, Operating since 1856 - 2000 Covers a Day, Half-Priced Raw Bar during Happy Hour

Went for the 1/2 price oysters last night. Beer selection is pretty poor, but we made do with Wild Goose IPA and Bass on top. Would it hurt to have something along this lines of rogue or Dog Head or Mendo Brewing company?

Onto the Oysters. First off at regular price of $21.05 a dz, OEG is one of the lower priced oyster places in town. But from 3 to 6 it is a steal. First up was an oyster sampler: 2 of each. We settles in on our favorite three: Wellflleet, Island point from Massachusetts and Pickering Point from Washington. The last were very meaty and dense in flavor. The Wellfleets had lots of briny flavor. The Island points were briny and very bright, our favorites. We polished off 8 of each.

Still a little bit hungry, we ventured onto the menu and had an order of Buffalo wings. As always, do not eat the food at Old Ebbitt. Do not eat the food at Old Ebbitt. Repeat: Do not eat the food at Old Ebbit. We could have had another 9 oysters for the price of underdone, flavorless wings in mundane hot sauce served with what tasted like Sysco blue cheese dressing with one, count it, one celery stick.

Wow, I disagree. OE is in our weekly rotation (at least that) and, while we go for the oysters, I enjoy a few of their hot dishes when we need a little something more. I really like the shrimp and grits app and the calamari is fried nice and light - just the way I like it.

I have always enjoyed my visits to OEB. Most of the time, it's just to grab lunch, or do brunch. So, my experience is limited to sandwiches and burgers. I love the Reuben and the fact that they are not afraid to give you your burger just as you like it. Rare? Sure.

The prices for lunch are excellent.

Ah, oysters and brown stout! Did happy hour at Old Ebbitt with a friend yesterday. We split two dozen Raspberry Point oysters (from Prince Edward Island), which were just about perfectly awesome. Raw oysters and Guinness will be on the menu in heaven.

Both nights of the riot sold out within an hour of going on sale this morning at 7:30am.

<grumble>

I logged in exactly at 7:30 and was able to snag two without delay. I friend who tried 5 minutes later was getting continuous page timeouts and eventually just called in. While she was on hold they sold out of Saturday ... around 7:45 :angry: ; luckily we were aiming for Friday anyway. Cue the craigslist scalpers!

got shut out, too. The restaurant said they sold out in 12 minutes. :angry:

This was particularly annoying given that last year tickets were actually available through the next morning. And that I was actually up at 6:30 to get my daughter to school, and so could have dialed in at precisely 7:30 without losing any more sleep than I'd already lost.

I'll bring some oysters if anyone wants to have a picnic, btw.

Perhaps we should hold an alternative riot? Raw and roasted oysters, aged muscadet and Dr. Fermento's harvest ale. And pig. Can't have a party without pig.

I like it. What are the chances we could hire one or two of the Riot's shucking staff to come man the table at Oyster Protest '07?

Where do you take visitors for dinner--more specifically, visitors on a budget with meat-and-potatoes tastes? Old Ebbitt worked really well for me in this situation last weekend. Lively, lovely atmosphere, a very friendly server named Michael, and plenty of people-watching.

The food--crab cakes, New York strip, parmesean-crusted trout, and cornmeal-crusted cod--was good (not great) at a good price. The wine and cocktail lists had something for everybody.

But the desserts really WERE something special, specifically the bourbon walnut pie with a chocolate cookie crust. Insanely rich and good, with a strong bourbon presence, and of course the vanilla ice cream took it over the edge. We were talking about this pie for the rest of the weekend.

It's just nice to have an old standby where you can take a large group of visitors; it's simple, good, and does feel special.

My sister and her new sweetie came down from Pennsylvania and wanted to meet me in DC for brunch today. Sister and I have similar adventurous palates (she's in the business), but I was warned that her SO has more "traditional" tastes. OEB was perfect!

Sis and I shared a dozen oysters on the half-shell (assorted) while SO looked on with curiousity and mock revulsion. The oysters were fresh and clean-tasting, and arranged from first to last so that one variety didn't obliterate the palate for the next one. I love oyster season!

SO was extremely happy with pumpkin French toast and sausage, while Sis and I had the Eggs Long Island: scrambled eggs, fried oysters and spinach on Englilsh muffin halves topped with Dijon Hollandaise. The eggs were perfectly cooked, the oysters were fresh and crisply fried, and the sauce was a lovely complement. The home fries were tasty, too.

SO had a glorious-looking dessert of espresso and chocolate and ice cream--don't know the name. I enjoyed a creme brulee. Both were wonderful.

We had a great visit and a very satisfying brunch. Oh, and I arrived about 10 minutes ahead of them and was seated to wait for them--no waiting for the party to be complete before seating. I could settle in with my Virgin Mary and examine the menu at my leisure till Sis and SO arrived.

We all left very happy, because of the visit, and the food. And I haven't seen my sister so happy in years!

Is anybody else heading to the Oyster Riot next week? After 6 years of either being out of town or not being able to afford scalper prices for tickets I'm finally able to attend on Friday. As someone who is not a huge sauv blanc fan, what beers are typically poured? I'm hoping for more than just Guinness on the stout front but not expecting it. It's going to be the end of a long week at work and the beginning of a long weekend at play :blink:

Is anybody else heading to the Oyster Riot next week? After 6 years of either being out of town or not being able to afford scalper prices for tickets I'm finally able to attend on Friday. As someone who is not a huge sauv blanc fan, what beers are typically poured? I'm hoping for more than just Guinness on the stout front but not expecting it. It's going to be the end of a long week at work and the beginning of a long weekend at play :blink:

The beer selection is, putting it lightly, crap. You're better off drinking wine (and I rarely say that)

Well done on getting tickets.

My sister and her new sweetie came down from Pennsylvania and wanted to meet me in DC for brunch today. Sister and I have similar adventurous palates (she's in the business), but I was warned that her SO has more "traditional" tastes. OEB was perfect!

Sis and I shared a dozen oysters on the half-shell (assorted) while SO looked on with curiousity and mock revulsion. The oysters were fresh and clean-tasting, and arranged from first to last so that one variety didn't obliterate the palate for the next one. I love oyster season!

SO was extremely happy with pumpkin French toast and sausage, while Sis and I had the Eggs Long Island: scrambled eggs, fried oysters and spinach on Englilsh muffin halves topped with Dijon Hollandaise. The eggs were perfectly cooked, the oysters were fresh and crisply fried, and the sauce was a lovely complement. The home fries were tasty, too.

SO had a glorious-looking dessert of espresso and chocolate and ice cream--don't know the name. I enjoyed a creme brulee. Both were wonderful.

We had a great visit and a very satisfying brunch. Oh, and I arrived about 10 minutes ahead of them and was seated to wait for them--no waiting for the party to be complete before seating. I could settle in with my Virgin Mary and examine the menu at my leisure till Sis and SO arrived.

We all left very happy, because of the visit, and the food. And I haven't seen my sister so happy in years!

We all left very happy as well. There are alot of comments about the oyster riot, and not enough about the restaurant. Even though this is part of the Clyde's group, and having just been to Tower Oaks in the past month, I can say the experience we had today for brunch was miles better than the average meal we had at Tower Oaks.

As touristy as the area is, these guys know how to handle the crowds and service well. Six of us--hubby, his 'rents, his sister and her hubby, made a reservation around 10pm last night for today. We were looking for a not too pricey lunch/brunch that would allow us to get to DAR in time to line up for the free show today with Jake Shimabukuro and the USAF band. (aside: check out this youtube performance or his myspace page-this guy is an awesome ukelele player. He'll also be on Conan this coming Tues the 19th)

11:30 was not available so we took the noon slot, hoping to be seated a little early. We dropped off the 'rents and went looking for a parking space. When sis and bro-in-law arrived, they were seated, even though we had not yet arrived, and it was well before noon.

Fortunately we were in the atrium area...it was quiet, pretty and light, and we had the best service. Next time we go back, I will defintely ask for "Tom" again, as he was friendly, knowledgeable and followed up just the right amount. BIL and I shared a dozen oysters, which were exactly as described in the menu. They were clean bright and most delicious. FIL had strata, MIL salmon, SIL fried oyster stew and crabcakes, and BIL followed the oysters with a veggie sandwich. Hubby had chicken paillard, and I had the french toast. An odd assortment of entrees, but all were deemed tasty and affordable. Allergies were dealt with easily, and even though an incorrect item was brought out to me, the server came back and apologized for the error, and then the manager came over to apologize as well. Unexpected, but a nice touch. We were too full for dessert, because we all filled up on the delicious coffee while dining. We all left sated.

While Tower Oaks was another family event (my side) I'd say the meal there did not entice me to return, while Old Ebbitt did. While everything I'm sure is not a hit at Old Ebbitt, it is a tried and true standard that comes out a winner. (bonus--we dined leisurely and were out in 2hrs, with just enough time to walk to DAR to get on queue for the show.)

Does anyone know if all the Clyde's restaurants have the same half-price raw bar? Or is it just OEG?

According to the website:

"Join us for Oyster Happy Hour, during which all raw bar items are half off.

Clyde's at Mark Center

Monday through Friday, 4:00 -- 7:00 PM and 10:00 PM to midnight.

Old Ebbitt Grill

Monday through Thursday, 3:00 -- 6:00 PM and 11:00 PM to 1:00 AM.

Clyde's of Gallery Place

Sunday through Thursday, 3:00 -- 6:00 PM and 11:00 PM to 1:00 AM.

Tower Oaks Lodge

Monday through Thursday, 4:00 PM -- 7:00 PM and 10:30 PM -- 12:30 AM."

I think a number of Clyde's locations don't have a raw bar to begin with, which could explain why they might not have the half-price raw-bar deal.

That's a good point - you must be sitting at the bar to get the 1/2 price special - the special price is not offered in the dining room, though the raw bar menu is.

That's a good point - you must be sitting at the bar to get the 1/2 price special - the special price is not offered in the dining room, though the raw bar menu is.

I can't vouch for the entire Clyde's Group but at OEG the half-price deal is available in the dining room (at least for the 11p-1a hours).

A friend and I indulged in the Orca platter yesterday promptly at the beginning of Happy Hour, 3 p.m. We enjoyed it a lot, especially the large and succulent shrimp and the sweet, easily-accessible lobster. The crab claws seemed not quite thawed, and it would have been useful to have a nutcracker to get the last hunks of meat out of them. The clams were littlenecks, very tasty, and predicatably little. There were six varieties of oysters available. I asked for four each of the Katama Bay (from Martha's Vineyarrd), Rappahonnick River (VA) and Wianno (West Bay MA). They were all good-sized and suitably briny with plenty of liquid. If I had my way, OEG would provide a mignonette sauce in addition to that ketchupy stuff.

Parking is a problem down there, but we lucked into a spot a block away. When we were seated, the manager came over and chatted for a moment -- Merle is his name. He is eager to be accommodating, and Rockwellians might want to say hello.

The Orca platter is the best plateau de fruits de mer I have had in this area (I haven't tried Kinkead's yet). It is a real bargain, irrespective of the Happy Hour rakeoff. And the quality, with the possible exception of the crab claws, is very high. To my surprise, a bloody mary was only $5, but I'm not sure if that's part of the HH bargain.

A friend and I indulged in the Orca platter yesterday promptly at the beginning of Happy Hour, 3 p.m. We enjoyed it a lot, especially the large and succulent shrimp and the sweet, easily-accessible lobster. The crab claws seemed not quite thawed, and it would have been useful to have a nutcracker to get the last hunks of meat out of them. The clams were littlenecks, very tasty, and predicatably little. There were six varieties of oysters available. I asked for four each of the Katama Bay (from Martha's Vineyarrd), Rappahonnick River (VA) and Wianno (West Bay MA). They were all good-sized and suitably briny with plenty of liquid. If I had my way, OEG would provide a mignonette sauce in addition to that ketchupy stuff.

Parking is a problem down there, but we lucked into a spot a block away. When we were seated, the manager came over and chatted for a moment -- Merle is his name. He is eager to be accommodating, and Rockwellians might want to say hello.

The Orca platter is the best plateau de fruits de mer I have had in this area (I haven't tried Kinkead's yet). It is a real bargain, irrespective of the Happy Hour rakeoff. And the quality, with the possible exception of the crab claws, is very high. To my surprise, a bloody mary was only $5, but I'm not sure if that's part of the HH bargain.

There is actually free Valet parking starting at 6 pm, which unfortunately coincides with the end of happy hour...

If I had my way, OEG would provide a mignonette sauce in addition to that ketchupy stuff.

I have never had oysters there and NOT been given the mignonette. I would say your experience was a fluke. I know what you mean about the crab claws. I say, either throw some king crab meat on there, or do away with it alltogether. That's the only thing that could make the Orca more perfect.

When I was a boy, I went to Ebbitt's Field. Now I am a man and I go to Old Ebbitt's Grill. Back yesterday for another go at the Orca Platter at Happy Hour. What a deal. The hit obviously is the shrimp -- larger, juicier and tastier than versions I've been served recently at Black Salt, Restaurant Eve or Sea Catch. There is a nice variety of oysters you can choose from. My favorite this time were the ones from PEI. The clams are littenecks, tiny but bursting with flavor. I think the next time we'll forgo the lobster and relatively tasteless crab claws. Maybe a couple dozen of everything else. Oh, and we also had bean soup, oyster chowder, the so-called oyster shooter and bloody marys.

With a day off on Monday I'm thinking of heading down for the early happy hour at Old Ebbitt and digging into an Orca platter for the first time. I've been meaning to do this for a couple years now, but it seems that whenever I'm out during the week I can't strong arm any friends into making a late night stop. Nuts to them! One question: do you get a choice of oysters or does the platter come with a pre-set selection?

EDIT: Nevermind. I should learn to read more carefully ...

There is a nice variety of oysters you can choose from.

Maybe because I was giggling like a high schooler because we had just made a great escape from my first visit to Old Ebbitt Grill. (The decorations, the menu it was all too much.)
The food there for a regular meal is not that great (I'd take the Clyde's in Georgetown over it for a standard meal), but I enjoy the raw bar (especially the half price raw bar) with a few beers. I found it odd to be at the Oyster Riot this weekend and watching people eating their Saturday night dinner through the windows.

It's not my choice for a full-on meal in that area, but it has its charms. Especially when they're half price :lol:.

FWIW, I've never been to Morton's.

My company's holiday party is at Old Ebbitt this year which, is nothing else, is a geographic improvement versus last year's (somewhere in Vienna or Falls Church; not great for my many young, drunk colleagues). Has anyone attended a private event at OE?

"Best oysters in town"

"Crabcakes are the house specialty"

"Try the fried oyster stew"

Faced with a full back bar, hawking dishes, and filling drink orders, Joe the bartender put the whirl in dervish last night at a completely slammed, who says there's a recession, Old Ebbitt Grill.

Grilled oysters, get two orders

Little necks, succulent

Oyster stew, rich with cream

The seafood jambalaya...meh.

My company's holiday party is at Old Ebbitt this year... Has anyone attended a private event at OE?

Several. All involved a set menu with only a couple of choices (cannelloni vs. steak, I think), sometimes in the rooms downstairs, sometimes in the atrium. I liked downstairs better. Nothing to write home about food-wise, but my company was happy to do repeat business with them since they were consistent and reasonably priced. Let us know how the party goes.

Thanks to catherine's recommendation, I had a late St. Patrick's Day lunch at Ebbitt's bar yesterday--and it was so good I'm tempted to go back today... The corned beef platter was a mound of simply boiled meat, potatoes, and cabbage, with a bit of the pot juices ladeled over, and a side of horseradish cream. No fancy-shmancy bells and whistles, just simple, traditional, well-executed fare. It would have put either of my grandmothers over the moon.

And the bartender was just great too. Friendly, welcoming, chatty--but not too much. After I finished my meal, I saw some soda bread arrive in front of a neighbor at the bar. I asked if I could buy some to take home and she said "Of course not!" and wrapped me up a huge portion--with a little cup of butter included--to go. Nice.

Thanks to catherine's recommendation, I had a late St. Patrick's Day lunch at Ebbitt's bar yesterday--and it was so good I'm tempted to go back today... The corned beef platter was a mound of simply boiled meat, potatoes, and cabbage, with a bit of the pot juices ladeled over, and a side of horseradish cream. No fancy-shmancy bells and whistles, just simple, traditional, well-executed fare. It would have put either of my grandmothers over the moon.

And the bartender was just great too. Friendly, welcoming, chatty--but not too much. After I finished my meal, I saw some soda bread arrive in front of a neighbor at the bar. I asked if I could buy some to take home and she said "Of course not!" and wrapped me up a huge portion--with a little cup of butter included--to go. Nice.

I think you've identified OE's strength. Dine elsewhere for fancy, manipulated cuisine. Give me oysters and beer.....Well, a nice SB works too.

Still valid! If anyone is in the area today seeking the sacred meal,* consider Ebbitt. It was a fantastic lunch, and I'm once again bereft that I only get it once a year. They shredded the cabbage this year, which I didn't really like or understand, but that's just a few points off an otherwise winning dish.

*Does anyone else call it this, or is it just my family?

Still valid! If anyone is in the area today seeking the sacred meal,* consider Ebbitt. It was a fantastic lunch, and I'm once again bereft that I only get it once a year. They shredded the cabbage this year, which I didn't really like or understand, but that's just a few points off an otherwise winning dish.

*Does anyone else call it this, or is it just my family?

Plan to have dinner there. Do they have valet parking in the evening?

Thursday night, and Old Ebbitt Grill was bustling. There must have been 250 covers that I observed in just over an hour. Yes, this place is the number one cash cow in the Washington DC area.

My expectations for the food were low, and they were met. I orderd the rockfish special, which should have been good because it was the special. Funny thing, the fish was actually not bad...competently cooked, nice texture, obviously fresh....but that pig slop that it was served on top of was worse than airline food. (At least back when airlines served food....) It seemed to be potato chunks sauteed with onions and variously unidentifiable morsels of one thing or another, heavily oiled, tasting like effluveum. It still weighs heavily in my gut, which is barking at me for having violated it so eggregiously.

It's amazing how much business this place gets. Simply amazing....

I can say the following nice things about Old Ebbitt, which is in the same building as my office. Their beer list has gotten more interesting. Their raw bar happy hour deal is good. They will put soccer on for me in the middle of the day at the back bar if I ask.

• Like 1

I can say the following nice things about Old Ebbitt, which is in the same building as my office. Their beer list has gotten more interesting. Their raw bar happy hour deal is good. They will put soccer on for me in the middle of the day at the back bar if I ask.

I would rank it at about the level of Roy Rogers. Perhaps a notch above Gene Autry.

I love oysters, and have eaten oysters at many a fine DC area restaurant, but nothing compares to the oysters at Clyde's and Old Ebbitt. Husband and I have two dozen each, at Happy Hour, about once a month.

We usually wind up getting dinner afterwards, the pickings are slim for me because I eat gluten free, but they do take gluten free seriously, which is nice. The waiter will warn me that the equipment is also used for dishes containing gluten, but I am not going to go into anaphylactic shock from a little cross-contamination, so that's OK.

I would not go there just for the rest of the menu.

• Like 1