Recipes On The Internet

dinwiddie

They're my primary resource as well. Could a non-subscriber check for us and see if you can get access?

I've found their recipes to be pretty reasonable, i.e. not so constricting as to be flavorless.

I just tried and got as far as browsing recipes, but couldn't actually get into the full recipes from the list. Looks like you have to sign up for the "2 free issues" deal to get access.

Weight Watchers web page has some recipes (again you have to subscribe to access the whole archive) and I think they also have a free e-newsletter you can sign up for that includes recipes.

They're my primary resource as well. Could a non-subscriber check for us and see if you can get access?

I've found their recipes to be pretty reasonable, i.e. not so constricting as to be flavorless.

On just a quick click-around, I was able to search for recipes and browse menus. I couldn't, however, access any of the "Kitchen Assistant" bits, like the links at the bottom of the recipe for more salads, chicken, whathaveyou.

Also, the articles may or may not be shortened; they seem reasonably complete, but all have a "Want to read more?" at the bottom. This ingredient glossary ends after Thai basil for me. Does yours tell more?

Edited to add: Huh. That's funny. I posted at the same time as goldenticket. Seems like I can get at a lot of the archives as a nonmember, but some of the recipes on the home page are a no-go.

Edited by Connave

If you're cooking for WW'ers, they will probably ask you the Nutritional Info so that they can calculate points. Cooking Light provides this info, as does the recipe sections for Shape magazine and Organic Style- and I've had very good luck with these sources.

You could also buy Mastercook or another kind of kitchen software to calculate your own calorie counts for the recipes you already have. I got mine for about $20 a year ago.

If you're cooking for WW'ers, they will probably ask you the Nutritional Info so that they can calculate points.  Cooking Light provides this info, as does the recipe sections for Shape magazine and Organic Style- and I've had very good luck with these sources. 

You could also buy Mastercook or another kind of kitchen software to calculate your own calorie counts for the recipes you already have.  I got mine for about $20 a year ago.

Mastercook 9.0

eGullet has a whole thread on Weight Watchers and many participants.  You should be able to find some good leads there.

In the past people have posted the password to Cooking Light on that thread (edit - as I see Laniloa just did here). I have access, but my cookies are set up so that I automatically have access and don't need the password.

Two other points - If you subscribe to the Weight Watchers online tools, they have a recipe tool that allows you to put in the ingredients of any recipe and get the points value for the recipe.

Cook's Illustrated is coming out with another of their "Best Recipe" books for light dishes. I'm planning on checking this out.

Edited by bilrus

I've used the WW recipe calculator with great results. It's easy to use, and enables one to adjust a recipe to make it more WW friendly.

I still head to Epicurious.com first and Food Network second for recipes, and then to Recipe Source.

I haven't used the Cooking Light website. A couple of times I've bought the magazine at the newsstand, and gone through the issue, calculating points. I didn't find the recipes to be WW-friendly, in the main--IOW, too many points to suit me.

Leite's Culinaria has some good stuff. 

Those do tend to be good recipes with well written commentary. I think the OP would need to do some modification to most any of those recipes, however, to make them low point!

BTW, I found it pretty straightforward (after learning enough about the point system) to tweak most of my recipes (ok, not creme brulee) so that they were reasonably low point. I never rely on weird fake foods (e.g. I don't use splenda, fat free sour cream (huh? :lol: ), etc.) and I'm pretty happy with taste/mouthfeel outcome. Depending on what your previous style of cooking was and how adept you are in the kitchen, this may be a more sustainable approach to diet modification than trying to adopt a new set of recipes.

Good luck.

eta: I also recommend you consider checking some cookbooks out of the library. It's a low cost way to find good recipes and test run cookbooks that you might want to buy.

another edit: typo (damnit)

Edited by smokey

Thanks folks. I use the calculator to figure out points for things I make. I also have several of the Weight Watcher's cookbooks. I was just frustrated in trying to find good recipe sites and your suggestions have helped. I've bookmarked a few and rejected a few, but all in all, it has expanded the sources greatly.

I also use epicurious frequently, generally as I am leaving my office and have no idea what to make for dinner. I once got stopped for rolling through a stop sign in the middle of nowhere in PA and could not find my registration because I had so many print-outs of epicurious recipes in my glove box. The policeman let me go with a warning since he got tired of waiting.

A few more sites that I use regularly

Martha Stewart's Everyday Foods sites- which includes the nutritional information. I find these recipes family friendly and easy to attack after a day at work:

http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?ty...7922&rsc=msonav

Other places many people do not think about are the association websites for different US-produced food products. Because of my work with many of the US agriculture industries, I have found great recipes from many of their sites, including:

the National Pork Producers Council: http://www.otherwhitemeat.com/

National Cattlemen's Beef Association: http://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com/

and several seafood groups, including:

http://www.wildamericanshrimp.com

http://www.louisianaseafood.com/recipes.html

(some of these southern seafood links have great background music!)

and even_ http://www.peanut-institute.org/recipes.html

There are many more sites like these available, easily found with Google. And remember, everything tastes better if grown in the US!

I know the following sites for recipes:

http://www.surlatable.com/recipes/index.cfm

http://ww5.williams-sonoma.com/

Even though it is slightly out of topic, I would like to share my cookbooks with you.

I have ...

Gourmet cookbook by Ruth Reichl

Larousse Gastronomique : The World's Greatest Cookery Encyclopedia

Barefoot in Paris

The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook: Featuring More Than 1,200 Kitchen-Tested Recipes

If you need any recipe from these books, please let me know.

I can scan the pages and send you the PDF file.

Edited by grover

I'm looking for a good source of recipes on the web. Any suggestions?

An animated television program inspires epicurean possibilities.

[...Upon conclusion of a "Meat and You" video narrated by the late Troy McClure]

Lisa: You can't expect us to swallow that tripe?

Principal Skinner: Now, courtesy of the meat counsil, please help yourself to this tripe.

Hello, this may be an old thread, but have noticed no one put up Recipe Source as a website. It's not glamour by any means but has lots of recipes (just recipes) to sift through. You can search by ethnic region and type of dish, including diabetic and vegetarian. Hope this helps!

Recipe Source

Hmmmm.... here's one from Recipe Source that was just pushed to to me via a gmail ad. Oh my.

This Australian website has an enormous, free database of recipes. They're of wildly uneven quality and interest, but if you're looking for a recipe for x, they might have twelve or fifteen to choose from. Clicking on the little flags at the top of the page doesn't change the language, by the way, it displays recipes from a given country's cuisine (in English). It's pretty cool.