Radius Pizza, Mount Pleasant - Owners Matt and Lenka Culbertson (As Of Summer, 2012) Come From Cowboy Cafe - Closed

Anyone been yet? Think it's owned by the Tonic folks and they claim to be doing NY-style pies.

We found the pizza to be quite tasty. Different from the pies at 2 Amy's and Sette but good in its own way. I think it doesn't quite stand up to a comparison with NYC's Totonnos or Lombardi's but it's getting there. A bit cheesy to my taste - I might ask for a lighter hand next time. I liked the crust quite a bit many tasty bubbles. Nora did not care for her Alfredo but she likes the frozen variety (I thought it was fine but don't believe in ordering that dish in a restaurant). The place was packed. We have decided that if we are in a "lets go out nearby" mood that this will suit nicely but if we want a pie to eat at home in front of the tube we are going to stick with Vace. I am looking forward to trying the Italian Sub.

I hope they thrive. A great addition to the neighborhood.

I will post as we gain more experience.

So, I had a chinese hotpot AND pizza tonight. I think I'm going to have an identity crisis.. In any event. . Radius. . . is NOT New York pizza. I had a ducati. On a scale of one to five, it's a six. As a New Jerseyite and New York passport holder for a couple of years, it's a far, far cry. The crust isn't blistery enough. The sauce is too saucy. And, it's just not quite right. I wish it were. I miss good pizza.

Still. I want to be a cheerleader. I like the space and the juice glassed Chianti. I can't fake the love, but I'm sure I'll go back.

Oh, yeah. And they do deliver now.

Edited by MeMc

I'm not sure the above review makes much sense, but I'll have to agree with the general message. The pizza is not NY pizza. There is too much sauce, and it's too thick and sweet. The cheese is oily, but not in the regular way. The sausage we has as a topping was really good, though. Still, no reason not to make the trek to 2Amys or paradiso when I want pizza.

So, I had a chinese hotpot AND pizza tonight. I think I'm going to have an identity crisis.. In any event. . Radius. . . is NOT New York pizza. I had a ducati. On a scale of one to five, it's a six. As a New Jerseyite and New York passport holder for a couple of years, it's a far, far cry. The crust isn't blistery enough. The sauce is too saucy. And, it's just not quite right. I wish it were. I miss good pizza.

Still. I want to be a cheerleader. I like the space and the juice glassed Chianti. I can't fake the love, but I'm sure I'll go back.

Oh, yeah. And they do deliver now.

Todd Wiss (former executive chef of Black`s) and his wife Nichole, recently took the ownership and re-opened last week after some decoration was done.

Menu used to be a massive one but now it is much smaller with a lot of attention. Everything in the kitchen is done by Todd and Nichole is running the front. Homemade pasta dishes, mussels and pizza are all great and very reasonably priced. They still do delivery. It is a great spot if you are in the neighborhood. Congratulations to both of you!

Todd Wiss (former executive chef of Black`s) and his wife Nichole, recently took the ownership and re-opened last week after some decoration was done.

Menu used to be a massive one but now it is much smaller with a lot of attention. Everything in the kitchen is done by Todd and Nichole is running the front. Homemade pasta dishes, mussels and pizza are all great and very reasonably priced. They still do delivery. It is a great spot if you are in the neighborhood. Congratulations to both of you!

Yes, I found this out when I called for delivery last weekend. I ended up not ordering because I had my heart set on some things that they no longer offer. Their online menu has not been updated because, apparently, their Web person has left. I always enjoyed their pizzas--I hope they remain as strong!

New web person checking in.

I'm actually Todd's sister (hence my staying quiet on the various places he's been over the years) and I'll be getting the site up in the next few weeks for Todd and Nicole and building a template so they can easily update the menu online. As soon as it's up, I'll let everyone know.

Todd and Nicole have been working nonstop since they took ownership. In addition to Todd's experience, they bring Nicole's impressive front-of-the-house credentials which include Chef Geoff's, Poste, and Tonic at Quigley's Pharmacy.

Best,

Michelle

Ate there recently and tasted the difference in their pastas. We had the spaghetti with meatballs and fettucine with favas, peas, asparagus and mascarpone. Both cooked just right/al dente, both flavorful. The meatballs had some serious garlic. We also sampled a slice of pizza with sausage and mushroom. Unfortunately, this was just a cheese slice with the extra toppings thrown on top and re-heated, so the ingredients weren't melded together. Next time, we'll have to get a whole pie to see if there's a difference in the pizza. Glad to have this place still around and rejuvenated, and definitely will go back for the pasta.

Ate there recently and tasted the difference in their pastas. We had the spaghetti with meatballs and fettucine with favas, peas, asparagus and mascarpone. Both cooked just right/al dente, both flavorful. The meatballs had some serious garlic. We also sampled a slice of pizza with sausage and mushroom. Unfortunately, this was just a cheese slice with the extra toppings thrown on top and re-heated, so the ingredients weren't melded together. Next time, we'll have to get a whole pie to see if there's a difference in the pizza. Glad to have this place still around and rejuvenated, and definitely will go back for the pasta.

I got a pizza delivered from them this weekend, and while the toppings remain of very good quality, the pie as a whole was a bit disappointing. Both the sauce and the crust tasted pretty boring, the toppings were sparse, and the cheese was too heavy and gloppy for the crust to support it.

That said, I'll definitely give them a few more chances because I know they're in the midst of a transition and don't want to damn them for one or two lackluster pies. But also, aside from Alberto's (which is super expensive), Radius is the only independent pizza place that delivers to me, and I'd sure as heck rather give my money to them than Baffetto's. :D

I went to Radius Pizza last night and was loving the 2009 Broadbent Vinho Verde ($7 a glass) with a half-order of Housemade Fettucini ($6) with super-clean local squash, roasted grape tomatoes, and mascarpone, the whole thing cut with the barest hint of citrus. A pint of Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA ($6) paired really well with a small order of zesty Prince Edward Island Mussels ($7), in a brothy bowl full of jersey tomatoes, parsley, smoked paprika aioli (to mix into the broth), and full-sized grilled "croutons" for plenty of soaking and dipping.

Not sure whether or not I was recognized, but I went anonymously, and I can safely say that next Thursday's four-course $23 meal is a giveaway.

Cheers,

Rocks.

The Rockwell $23 four-course dinner at Radius was amazing. Everything was great, from soup to mussels to salad to pasta to pizza to dessert. I will let others give out more detail, but I will point out the Kampacha squash soup and the fig and feta pizza.

The soup, which had a little rosemary oil on top, was the opener and it knocked me for a loop. This tiny cup was very creamy and rich, and I savored every bit. It reminded me of Corduroy's fabulous squash soup (which had a hint of foie if I remember correctly).

As for the fig and feta pizza, it definitely lived up to my expectations. It seems that Chef Wiss likes to juggle sweet, savory, and salty and this pizza blended all three to good effect.

The only criticism I have is that three pizzas might have been too much. If we had gone with just the fig and fall pizzas that would have been more than enough. On the other hand, the trusty sausage pizza may have been there for people who don't the fancy art pizzas. Thus all came away satisfied. I know I did.

The carb coma has finally worn off and returned my vocabulary to it’s regularly scheduled programming.

As others have noted, at last night’s event we were treated like royalty, ate like kings, yet paid like paupers. An added bonus for me was the shockingly cool music playing on the Radius airwaves. Track after track from New Order, The Smiths, Depeche Mode, and lotsa other alterna-80s favorites, a time warp to WHFS before shark jumping became the preferred sport.

Visually, the exposed brick, gentle yellow/pink/blue lighting, and minimal-yet-tasteful wall adornments combined for a Manhattan-esque vibe. Last night’s charming weather enabled the second story, screenless windows to remain open, literally contributing to the fresh and groovy atmosphere. I would forewarn Todd and Nichole to consider adding more lighting at the main entrance area. The black flooring on the stairs coupled with minimal lighting is a stumbling accident waiting to happen, and with glass at the end, ouch!

The course play-by-play has been covered by goodeats, Sphere777, and GennaroE. It is hard to overstate the entire table’s growing enthusiasm during our meal. However, a personal tragedy struck once the pizza arrived--I was far too full to enjoy much of it. My favorites of the night included the mussels (pimentón aioli as the ultimate, piquant brightener), kabocha squash ravioli (walnut elevating this to exceptional), and the whisper-silk lightness of the cranberry panna cotta. Being a huge sucker for anything microgreen, I craved more than a single basil leaf on the dessert, but honestly would have hurt myself if I had eaten more of it anyway.

Radius is a quick zip and a lucky parking spot away from the Rock Creek Parkway. I’ll journey back for certain, explore the menu further, and perhaps drag along a Seventh Day Adventist so I can do more than covet the draft beer choices.

o/~ pizza take a, pizza take a bow…come out and find the one that you love and who loves you (clumsy hat tip to The Smiths track overheard during the fresh-as-a-Fall-forest salad course)

(Click here for GennaroE's review of our recent $23 dinner at Radius.)

And, one Gennaro Esposito has just alerted me to his review in today's "The Eagle," American University's student paper.

For the full-blown online edition, with graphics (difficult to navigate), click here.

And for the text-only version, click here.

Congratulations, Gennaro! We all expect great things from you in the future. :(

Cheers,

Rocks

(Click here for GennaroE's review of our recent $23 dinner at Radius.)

And, one Gennaro Esposito has just alerted me to his review in today's "The Eagle," American University's student paper.

For the full-blown online edition, with graphics (difficult to navigate), click here.

And for the text-only version, click here.

Congratulations, Gennaro! We all expect great things from you in the future. :(

Cheers,

Rocks

Haha...based on this you'd think the Eagle was paying me, or at least being picky about what they publish.

At any rate it's no big achievement, but hopefully it'll inspire more AU kids to eat at Radius rather than eating the junk they usually go for at dominos or Angelico and the like.

Edit: And please note that any grammar issues are the result of some rather creative editing choices on the paper's part; they don't like dealing with sentences that have multiple clauses, apparently.

- Gennaro

Brought a few friends up to Radius tonight (I'd been talking about the place so much that they kind of demanded the chance to try it for themselves), and we had an awesome meal. Had to go for the Fall Pizza again, and it was a hit once more, even to a rather picky eater who was totally skeptical of pumpkin on a pizza. The Aprilia - a white pizza with garlic, olive oil, mozzarella, and ricotta - which I had with pancetta, was also great. It had just enough cheese, and the pancetta was crisp and salty, exactly what I was looking for to add some variety to what could have become monotonous after a slice or two.

Still, while the pizzas were great, with each pasta dish I have at Radius I become more and more tempted to favor that portion of the menu. The Oyster and Shiitake Mushroom Ravioli we had tonight, served with beets, over polenta, were almost as addicting as the pumpkin ravioli of the last visit. The polenta in particular stood out since it was just so rich and delicious, and I made sure to employ my crusts in order to get all of it off the plate. If I hadn't been accommodating a vegetarian I'd have gone for the Duck Confit pasta as well, but I guess that'll just have to wait until next time.

I feel like I'm starting to take unofficial ownership of this thread...it makes me consider going to Radius less often, but at the same time I feel the need to consume as many Fall Pizzas as possible before the seasons change.

At any rate, a job interview had me within walking distance of Radius tonight, and that was a good enough excuse for me to cajole some friends into meeting me there for the purposes of further exploring the menu. After having a taste of Chef Wiss' Polenta ($4)last time around, we couldn't resist ordering a side of it as an appetizer. Just as creamy and delicious as last time, but in a much bigger portion than what couched the mushroom ravioli. Our other appetizers included the Crispy Calamari with smoked paprika aioli ($8), which wasn't the crispiest rendition I've ever had, but was certainly tasty, and not rubbery at all; and the Duck Confit Pasta with sweet potato and mascarpone($9/$15). The second that pasta landed in front of me, I was hit by the smell of duck, and could hardly resist digging in. It was a generous portion, with large chunks of duck meat mixed among the strands of fresh fettucine, and the crispy sweet potato sticks on top were a really nice touch that I hogged all to myself even though I shared the dish with three others.

From there, we went for a large Fall Pizza and a large cheese pie, both of which were good. Yet next to the combination of flavors at work on the Fall pizza, plain cheese just seems bland (ordering it was a concession to my friends, I would have preferred something with copious amounts of pancetta).

We closed out the night with an order of Tiramisu Cheesecake and Pumpkin Bread ($6 each, I think). Both were delicious. The pumpkin bread we got in our goodie bags a few weeks back was good, but warmed, with powdered sugar, it was about 10 times better. As for the cheesecake, I tend to have the problem of finding cheesecake to be too rich. I have a bite, and can't keep going. This one was light and fluffy, much like actual tiramisu, and the flavor of coffee and the accompanying sauce (caramel, I think) made it all too easy for me to just keep going at the large slice we received.

All in all, a really delicious meal, and for the price, absolutely awesome. Here are some pictures, hastily taken with my iPhone prior to digging in:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43309140@N08/sets/72157622699719340/show/with/4059494587/

After having salivated over the fall pizza from Gennaro's previous reviews, I finally made my way over to Radius (which is dangerously close to home) yesterday with the +1 and her cousin. For a group of 3 who all are die hard pizza fans (I had been talking the place up even though I'd never set foot inside) everyone was pretty excited to try and Radius certainly did not disappoint.

As we were there for a late lunch/early dinner we skipped the apps although they were tempting and dove right into two pizza's: The Fall Pizza and the Benelli.

The fall pizza was everything the previous reviewers said it was. There was some skepticism about the pumpkin base but everyone agreed it was a perfect accompaniment to the cheeses/red onions/mushrooms. The crust was just the right balance of crisp and chewy but I kept looking at the pie in amazement over how well the ricotta and feta cheeses worked together. The Benelli is a more traditional pizza with lovely sopresetta (sp), spinach, kalamata olives and mushrooms. While the olives have a strong flavor, they worked very well with its counterparts on the pie.

We wrapped the meal up with some of the pumpkin bread (which was served as a generous portion with a few slices and some apricot (I believe) preserves). This was interesting as it gave up the cake-like traditional idea I had of pumpkin bread for more of an actual bread (if that makes any sense :( ). At first everyone was a little surprised but of course everyone began aggressively digging into the dish and silence settled over the table. While it certainly doesn't displace my love for "true" pumpkin bread, it is an excellent end to the meal without the traditional amount of sweetness.

So all in all we left thinking a few things: Radius knows their pumpkin (that in and of itself will prompt returns). How long will the fall pie stay on menu (please another month!). What delicious seasonal pies will the chef come up with next? Clearly, I (and my guests) look forward to returning soon.

Served on a rectangular plate, the shitake oyster mushroom ravioli ($8 for a half portion) is one of the most ravishing restaurant dishes i have seen in a long while, a rustic version of some of the great compositions appearing regularly at palena. two pillows of pasta plumped with minced mushroom sit in a big creamy smear of polenta. two baby carrots, one red, and three baby beets shine bright as jewels. the flavors are sharp, but not too loud,and the vegetables are properly cooked, tasting just about as good as they look, provided you don't bite into the inch-lomg stems crowning the root. those are full of grit. somebody gave the baby a good bath but neglected to shampoo the sandy cap. a "small" roasted local vegetable pizza ($13) is wildly rich, slathered with fontina and ricotta, and dotted with small lumps of parsnip and cauliflower florets, not the place where you would usually expect their flavors to be shown off so handsomely, and fleetingly. in more than a few spots, the bottom of the crust was dark golden. unlike the brussel sprouts featured as a special earlier in the season, the sprouts off the regular menu are harder, still good, and they seemed fresh to me, not frozen. (i also like the sprouts at central, which i assume show what can be done with them when they are frozen and can't be cooked as hard.)

Next time you suddenly think "I could really go for some roasted chicken, time for a trip to Palena," pause, save the trip to Palena for when you want a burger, and head to Radius instead for a dish currently on their specials menu:

Pan-Roasted Pennsylvania Chicken ($16) organic celery root purée, caramelized apples, local cauliflower, house-made chorizo.

The focus of the dish is half of an Amish chicken, brined for days and then pan roasted, with a perfectly crispy skin. The coloration and crispness on the skin is far better than at Palena, and while the chicken doesn't quite erupt with juices like chef Ruta's (at Radius the white meat is off the bone), it is still extremely moist, and it packs a whole lot more flavor. The sweet, caremalized apples play well off the saltiness of the chicken's exterior, the roasted cauliflower is jus delicious, and the celery root purée simultaneously brings a change of texture (awesome creaminess) and a hit of light freshness that cutsthrough all the, deep roasted flavors. And then there's the chorizo, which I would gladly eat on it's own it was so good. I'm thinking that thus needs to be put on a pizza stat.

There were other new dishes too - a Winter Pizza that uses the same celery root purée in place of sauce, exploiting that oddly fresh flavor and copping it with salty feta, caremalized mushrooms, and toasted pinenuts was really delicious. And the new ravioli, stuffed with beef shortrib and served over a foie gras cream is beautifully balanced: the super rich flavor of foie gras hits your tongue, and then the beef cuts right through it, and a sweet/acidic pomegranate reduction finished it all off nicely.

But honestly, the chicken just stole the show. I hope it's still around wheni get back from home, as I'm already craving more and I only finished it 2 hours ago.

There were other new dishes too - a Winter Pizza that uses the same celery root purée in place of sauce, exploiting that oddly fresh flavor and copping it with salty feta, caremalized mushrooms, and toasted pinenuts was really delicious.......

But honestly, the chicken just stole the show. I hope it's still around wheni get back from home, as I'm already craving more and I only finished it 2 hours ago.

Don't tell Gennaro but the chicken is gone. Fortunately the winter pizza, which is amazing, is still around. Nobody's mentioned the fried mozzarella sticks. This is what fried mozzarella is supposed to be like. Big pieces of perfectly fried mozzarella that oooooozes with the first bite. Oh my it's good. And the ceasar salad automatically comes with anchovies. What's not to love?

And, they deliver to the other side of the park :angry:

I concur on the mussels. A large portion of tender mussels in a bold, galicky, and slightly spicy tomato base. I used those giant croutons to soak up every last bits of the sauce. I didn't think the pizza was as great, but I only ordered a slice instead of a whole pie baked fresh.

crispy chickpeas ($4) are reason enough to come here, in lightly salted fried jackets of flour and cumin, redolent of fresh thyme. winter pizzas, unfortunately, were gone, after a run on them from home deliveries down snow-choked side streets. the mediterranean pizza was good, the topping uncharacteristically stark and light for this place, getting straight to the point with kalamatta olives, red onion and crumbled feta. hummus was supposed to be there as well, though I'm not sure it was, and if it was, it was subtle because we could neither see nor taste where it had gone. it was not a big disappointment, though, that we didn't get to see pizza dough treated as pita, which was what I was half-way imagining. following the pea shoots to a half order of any of the home-made stuffed pastas here is a good way to start your meal, but it's not the only way; the panzanella salad piled with slices of honey crisp apples and gorgonzola ($9) looked appealing from the other side of the table. there's a lot of care that goes into radius; it's a small and relaxing place with a nice glow and swinging overhead light fixtures you can graze with your head if you jump up too fast from your seat; colors that are quaint if you hung out in the east village when patti smith and robert mapplethorpe were an item; an ambient soundtrack harkening back to the good old days of lynard skynard and their ilk; and a good mix of customers and people working there. (on a busy night, tonic's adjacent dining room -- I assume that's what it was -- was virtually empty, serving only one table. walking up to mt. pleasant from dupont circle, restaurant nora, cashion's eats place, the grill from ipanema, pasta mia and a few other spots looked packed for valentine's day, with their insides pressed up against their steamed-up windows. at radius we were able to breathe a contented sigh of relief that we had escaped cupid on his big night out.)

Hey, how come no one warned me that their calzones were the size of a toilet seat? Stopping by for a late lunch this past Saturday, I thought I'd have a quick beer and a calzone. Very tasty version with pepperoni and their house-made sausage, but it certainly curtailed any dinner plans I had made. Like giant shrimp alluded to, the place has a very nice neighborhood-joint vibe. Radius certainly makes me want to come back to the hood to try the non-pizza/calzone items as well.

Radius certainly makes me want to come back to the hood to try the non-pizza/calzone items as well.

If you go, make sure to order a half portion of the Shitake and Oyster Mushroom Ravioli ($8). Served on a bed of creamy polenta with organic yellow and red beets, this is a world-class pasta dish. I had it last night, and off the top of my head, I can't think of a better eight-dollar plate of food in the city right now; the only thing that kept it from being perfect was that the beets were ever so slightly undercooked.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I will attempt to keep my post short so as to appear as less of a Radius fanboy than most believe me to be.

Top dishes:

The rutabaga puree, which had us debating over how many times Chef Wiss had run it through a sieve. The answer? Somehow, just twice. So smooth, without the addition of a drop of cream, this was as masterful a soup as any I've had in DC. The flavor of the rutabaga paired surprisingly well with the honeycrisp apple chutney.

The mussels. When I first saw them on the menu, a part of me was disappointed: we'd had them at the last Radius dinner, so they weren't going to be a new experience. But despite having tasted them before, they were a major highlight. Unlike last time, the flavors were perfectly balanced: no cloying sweetness, just the essence of the mussels joined beautifully with jersey tomatoes. The mussels themselves were more plump and flavorful than a recent, overpriced batch I had elsewhere, and the broth, especially after mixing in some of that smoky aioli, is addicting. Despite knowing that pizza and pasta were on their way, I couldn't help dipping and devouring 3 pieces of the grilled ciabatta.

The ravioli, which showcased extremely rich lamb meat (if I hadn't been told there was ricotta in the ravioli too, I wouldn't have guessed it), encased in delicious pasta, and dressed with that pesto. Really clean flavors, not mucked up by too much spicing or meddling. The only thing I would liked was a little acidity somewhere to cut through the lamb and keep me coming back for even more (you know, since 4 massive ravioli in the context of a 6 course meal isn't enough...).

The winter pizza, for its balance of sweet root vegetables, creamy yet fresh celery root puree, and salty feta, rounded out by the toasted pine nuts. Plus the toppings and crust were in harmony, with just enough cheese present to offer gooey, delicious comfort, without overshadowing the high quality ingredients it surrounded.

The creme caramel, which hooked even a non-dessert lover thanks to the maldon sea salt.

PS - the crisp chickpeas are an addictive snack, and if people hadn't been grabbing for them as quickly as I, I would have easily consumed an even more unhealthy amount than I did.

So...6 out of 7 dishes were tops for me...

I fail at brevity.

Thanks again to Chef Wiss for putting the effort into cooking all that fantastic food, and to Nicole for taking such good care of us throughout the night (especially for making sure that all of us knew exactly what we were eating, even when we would have liked to just grab at the plates). For the ridiculously low price we paid, and the amount of awesome food we got, I can't think of a better meal, in a more comfortable setting, than what we had tonight. And the killer soundtrack doesn't hurt either.

Edit: Terrible iPhone pictures, incoming:

First and foremost, I'd like to thank Chef Wiss and his wife Nicole for being such gracious hosts. I am literally still full this morning after being a complete glutton at Radius last night.

In terms of the food:

-Fried Chickpeas dusted with cumin - these were dangerously good. The chickpeas had a crunchy coating/exterior with a nice soft interior and just the right amount of spice. I could see myself downing bowl after bowl of these during a game or sitting at the bar having a few beers.

-Rutabaga Soup with Honey Crisp Apple Chutney - This was an excellent soup, and as Gennaro mentioned about, I couldn't believe it only went through a sieve twice. It really was incredibly smooth and I really liked how the apple chutney went along with it. I think this probably was the most surprising thing on the menu for me, just b/c going in I had no clue what to expect with this.

-Prince Edward Island Mussels with Jersey Tomato broth and Smoked Paprika Aioli - This dish directedly contributed to my "so full I was short of breath" at the end of the meal. I could've tucked into one of the large platters of mussels all by myself and been completely content. Nicoles suggestion that we swirl the aioli into the broth really made this for me as I liked the little bit of smokiness that the paprika provided to bolster the broth itself. Had I more self control, I would've only had 2 of the croutons as opposed to the 3 (or maybe it was 4) that I ended up having.

-Lamb Ravioli - These reminded me of pierogies for some reason (having a thicker dough I suppose) but I thought they were really interesting. Pairing these with a nice wine (as was suggested by one of the diners at the table) really would've been a good move, having some acidity to cut through the pasta. The light hand with the cheese really let the lamb stand out which I enjoyed and the pistu was interesting as well.

-Pizzas: Winter Pizza and Carbonara Pizza - This was the first time I'd had the winter pizza and again I was really surprised at how well everything worked together. Nothing was overpowering but there were many subtle touches that made the flavor of the combined ingredients work together (the toasted pine nuts were a perfect inclusion). The carbonara pizza was interesting and I think caused the most debate at the table. The sevied egg was good, but the general concencus was that it needed more moisture (either from some more oil, some mozzerella, etc). One of my favorite points of the night was talking to Chef Wiss about his thought process around the pie and the discussion on whether or not the public as a whole would be willing to try a pizza that had a runny egg on it (or egg in a different form).

-Creme Caramel with Maldon Sea Salt - This was a great end to the meal. I heard multiple people at the table say its lightness (if a creme caramel can ever be described as light) was ideal since at this point we were all so stuffed. The sea salt really took this up a couple of steps.

All in all, I had a great time. I regret that I didn't get over to meet some of the folks at the other table, but I really enjoyed the conversation at our table and getting to meet a few new Rockwellians. While we all joked with Gennaro about his Radius fandom (although we all have our places), I have to say its with good reason. This is a restaurant worth throwing support behind and I know I will be back soon.

I wanted to also add my thanks to Chef and Nicole for a fabulous evening. This event, to me, underlies the whole reason this board was created. Sixteen people who love food and dining got together, had a few drinks, had some great food, and supported a local business. Nothing but win.

Just a few quick notes on the food, since others have already done justice.

Fried Chickpeas dusted with cumin - betcha can't eat just one.

Rutabaga Soup with Honey Crisp Apple Chutney - fabulous, and the chutney was a perfect match for this soup.

Prince Edward Island Mussels with Jersey Tomato broth and Smoked Paprika Aioli - So good, I had seconds. Wait, I think I had thirds.

Lamb Ravioli - Tasty, but a slight miss to me. The pasta was a touch too thick, and slightly undercooked. The lamb, while tasty, did not present well when ground. If the lamb had been braised, this would have been spectacular. The pistu and greens were a great accompaniment with the lamb.

Pizzas: Winter Pizza and Carbonara Pizza - I thought the winter pizza was a bit too sweet, but I didn't have a dryness problem with the Carbonara pizza that others did (took home a slice for lunch today and it reheated just fine!) For variety's sake, I wish one of the pies had been a red-sauce pie.

Creme Caramel with Maldon Sea Salt - Very good, and I'm not even a creme caramel fan. Just a touch too much sea salt, or better yet, I should say that it wasn't evenly distributed. Alternate bites had no salt or tasted strongly of salt.

Brava, Team Radius. I will be back.

This event, to me, underlies the whole reason this board was created. Sixteen people who love food and dining got together, had a few drinks, had some great food, and supported a local business. Nothing but win.

And from where I sit, people like you, Daniel, are why this board has continued to thrive. Powerful, passionate lovers of not just "food," but of life in general - infectiously, and unselfishly spreading your passion to others so that all may have a good time, one with the other. Quality-driven independent restaurants such as Radius Pizza aren't necessarily targeted venues, but it just makes so much sense to support them when they're willing to be supported; the sad thing is that so many of them don't even give us a second thought.

So many superstars here. I love every single person on this website - even the ones that incorrectly think I don't. I always have, and I always will.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Just a quick note to add my thanks to Nicole and Chef Todd for a truly delicious evening. In fact, despite having woken this morning still full and swearing "I'll never eat again;" I have just finished off the absolutely amazing rutabaga soup that Nicole was sweet enough to send home with me as I missed the first part of the meal. It was thoughtful touches like this that seemed to pervade the meal. From the mussels (delicious with or without the aioli) to the creme carmel, each dish was clearly conceived and presented with thought, care and a desire to share new flavors in familiar forms.

I am embarrassed to say that I live in DC, just off the green line metro and this was my first time at Radius... I look forward to returning soon.

Also - a shout out to DanielK for organizing a great event and to my fellow Rockwellians for a great evening!

I think I've just now come out of my carb coma from that night.

Pretty much everything was excellent, and the mussels in particular were absolutely to die for. Probably my favorite preparation of mussels I've had in the DC area.

I also loved the addition of the sea salt to the creme caramel, but I agree with DanielK's criticism: it wasn't distributed terribly evenly, and some bites were much less salty than others.

Without a doubt, I will be back, preferably with friends in tow.

Fantastic dinner at Radius last night. First time trying the Winter Pizza - wonderful combinations of flavor. In fact, it might be the best pizza I have had in many years. Others had the lamb ravioli which was also excellent. Less enthused by the mushroom ravioli.

Can't wait to get that pizza again!

I think the mark of a really great chef is that after you've had their cooking, you're not only willing, but eager, to try new dishes they cook up, even when they contain ingredients you normally don't enjoy.

Case in point: Chef Wiss' Braised Local Rabbit Cavatelli arbequino olives, basil, black mission figs, pistachios ($10/16). The generous half portion of house rolled cavatelli had me hooked, despite the fact that I have never much enjoyed that particular pasta, nor the first listed ingredient: olives. The cavatelli themselves had that just-right amount of chew, and this texture made them the perfect foil for the fall-apart tender (and abundant) braised rabbit, which managed to be rich and flavorful, while at the same time remarkably light. This may have been due to the balancing act accomplished through the rest of the dish's components: olives scattered throughout lent saltiness and another layer of texture, mission figs (employed sparingly) brought a touch of sweetness, and pistachios provided a crunchy finish to what was probably the best pasta I've had since a trip to Corduroy a few months back.

Everything else that I shared with Dave (Rovers2000) and his +1 tonight was as delicious as ever (the mussels and the crispy chickpeas), and the light, fresh Arugula Pizza ricotta, feta, baby arugula, roasted garlic ($13 Small) was a nice special, taking the mellow bite of roasted garlic and marrying it with those two cheeses as well as the greens over top. It was a nice welcome to early Spring, even if tonight's weather wasn't so great.

As always, the combination of low prices and quality food -- with attention to culinary technique as well as seasonality and local sourcing of ingredients -- makes Radius a ridiculous bargain. And as all the awesome produce of Spring and then Summer arrives to replace Winter's tired root vegetables, Radius will definitely be one of the best placed in the city to experience them at their best. Chef Wiss has already started to work peas, carrots, spring garlic, and rhubarb, among other Spring ingredients, into his menus, and I can't wait for more to come.

Chef Wiss has already started to work peas, carrots, spring garlic, and rhubarb, among other Spring ingredients, into his menus, and I can't wait for more to come.

As of a few hours ago he's got asparagus baby! Asparagus, fingerling potatoes, spring greens (pea shoots I think), a perfectly cooked fried poached egg with Parmesan cream. It's like affordable Palena.

There's also an asparagus goat cheese pizza.

And the lemon pound cake with a rhubarb sauce of some sort is the perfect comfort food.

As of a few hours ago he's got asparagus baby! Asparagus, fingerling potatoes, spring greens (pea shoots I think), a perfectly cooked fried poached egg with Parmesan cream. It's like affordable Palena.

And the lemon pound cake with a rhubarb sauce of some sort is the perfect comfort food.

Say hi next time. :lol:

and the goat cheese bruschetta

The minute I saw this post, I knew I had to get back to Radius ASAP. Finally got up to Mt. Pleasant tonight, with chaofun and jchao tagging along for the journey through Chef Wiss' new Spring specials.

The usual dishes (Mussels, Crispy Chickpeas, and the Rabbit Cavatelli) were all as great as usual. As for the new dishes...

Chef Wiss' Northern Neck Farms Asparagus Salad local asparagus, warm fingerling potatoes, crispy egg, parmesan cream ($12) stole the show. Perfectly cooked asparagus -- tender, but not at all mushy -- served chilled, and lightly dressed with smooth, rich parmesan cream. The egg was fried nicely, crisp on the outside, but the yolk still runny within, spilling forth with one and adding another layer of richness to the entire dish. The warm, roasted potatoes were an unexpected addition that brought a traditional combination in an original direction, mixing things up by playing with textures and temperatures.

The Organic Spinach and Leek Ravioli feta, arugula pesto ($8 half portion) was both well crafted and cooked. The pasta was just the right thickness, all the greens at work on the plate tasted extremely fresh (including the garnish of pea tendrils) and the arugula pesto in particular was addicting -- I would be happy with a bowl of that and some bread.

Of the two new pizzas, the Spring Pizza spring garlic pesto, caramelized onions, english peas, fontina ($15, Small) was the clear winner: the caramelized onions offered a flavor reminiscent of french onion soup, and it worked very well with the peas and fontina to truly embody Spring. Meanwhile, the Asparagus and Goat Cheese Pizza Pipe Dreams Dairy goat cheese, local asparagus, spring onions ($16, Small) had tons of fresh asparagus flavor, but was slightly lacking in goat cheese, so although good, slightly less of the other cheese present (mozzarella? ) and a bit more of the goat would have made it even better.

Dessert consisted of the Lemon Pound Cake local rhubarb, chantilly cream ($7), two generous slices of soft, warm lemony pound cake, accompanied by sweetened rhubarb puree (is that the right word for it? I'm not really sure) and a quenelle of light chantilly cream that rounded it all out, as well as the Pistachio Caramel Brittle ($3), a little sweet for my tastes, but good nonetheless.

Overall, another great meal at Radius to join all the others that keep me wishing I lived within delivery range, and have me checking their web page for new specials constantly.

Northern Neck Farms Asparagus Salad local asparagus, warm fingerling potatoes, crispy egg, parmesan cream ($12) stole the show. Perfectly cooked asparagus -- tender, but not at all mushy -- served chilled, and lightly dressed with smooth, rich parmesan cream. The egg was fried nicely, crisp on the outside, but the yolk still runny within, spilling forth with one and adding another layer of richness to the entire dish. The warm, roasted potatoes were an unexpected addition that brought a traditional combination in an original direction, mixing things up by playing with textures and temperatures.

Of the two new pizzas, the Spring Pizza spring garlic pesto, caramelized onions, english peas, fontina ($15, Small) was the clear winner: the caramelized onions offered a flavor reminiscent of french onion soup, and it worked very well with the peas and fontina to truly embody Spring.

the asparagus salad is inspired. the egg was soft boiled, breaded and fried, the potatoes just off to the side dark and perfectly cooked, the parmesan cream deliciously dressing the asparagus with a whisper of lemon tanginess. i like that pea shoots are all over the place at radius, although they are not needed that much here. a bit cumbersome to eat, you have to reach through a tangle of them to get to the spears, but it does prevent you from wolfing them down,

the spring pizza really sings with peas, the best use of peas i have found in a long time, and nothing i can remember ever having encountered before on a pizza.

Hate to jump on the bandwagon late, but I will.

Stopped into Radius last night for some dinner.

asparagus salad with crispy egg

crunchy chickpeas

ricotta, feta, garlic, arugula pizza

Marshall Tucker Band on the sound system.

well played.

Have hesitated to be ecstatic about several meals here because they were hit or miss with misses balanced by the hits. Past misses: sometimes pizzas soggy in middle, pasta served lukewarm and turned gummy, slow and less than attentive service. Tonite was definitely a hit overall. The asparagus salad with fingerling potatoes and crispy egg is as good as others have described. Also had the goat cheese bruschetta special - 3 huge pieces of grilled bread with a tangy herb goat cheese spread topped with a lemony arugula salad. Lemon zest slices were a nice touch. The rabbit cavatelli with olives was hearty and rich with generous shreds of meat throughout. Husband thought the pasta was a bit too firm though he scarfed it up. I thought it was cooked perfect al dente. The mussels are a standard item, generous portions in a garlic tomato sauce broth (two sizes $8 or $15). The smoked paprika aioli has some serious garlic and is wonderful slathered on the accompanying grilled bread which is also good for sopping up the sauce. If you like asparagus, the salad is definitely a must-try. One of the specials was a cold asparagus soup with mascarpone. There's also an asparagus pizza. I love how this is a neighborhood pizza/pasta place with a casual vibe but the food strives to be creative, seasonal and affordable.

Braised Pork Shank Fettucini fava beans, ramps, english peas, and pecorino ($9/$15): Go eat this now. What could easily be an extremely heavy meat dish becomes the epitome of Spring thanks to all the vegetable components, while still highlighting the pork shank's deep, rich flavor. And finish your meal off with any of their house-spun ice creams or sorbets; Chef is having a party with the new ice cream machine, and the stuff he's been coming up with (local strawberry sorbet, lemon balm sorbet, pistachio ice cream with a touch of salt) is simply awesome.

The rabbit cavatelli with olives was hearty and rich with generous shreds of meat throughout. Husband thought the pasta was a bit too firm though he scarfed it up.

Good cavatelli always has some bite left at its core, I have found, as it consistently has been cooked here the few times i have enjoyed this dish. to get out the core you almost have to boil these to death.

Braised Pork Shank Fettucini fava beans, ramps, english peas, and pecorino

But the fettucini here is al dente as well, fatter and more substantial than it is often prepared, and leaving a good impression. i had two of the ramp bulbs, if that is what they were (i was thinking something in the baby red onion family), but the important thing is that they were pickled, spiking things up here and there, reminiscent, again, of how this kitchen does some things the same way as palena. this is pasta rubbing up against good ingredients, with an especially generous amount of peas. (i am always happy to leave the expense and shelling of those, and fava beans, to someone else.)

maybe next time i will get to the ice cream, which i did notice on the menu, although this probably will mean forgoing the pizza, which won't be easy.