Han Sung Oak Dinner for DR.com Members

Escoffier

Escoffier, I have to second this excellent advice.  Even though I just found out I'm working 1/21-1/23 and thus unable to join you.  (damn fluid work schedule)  Schedule it for when you can and let the chips fall where they may.

I'm taking you at your word. It is going to be Feb 21 but we'll move the time back a bit to 7:30 pm. Everyone can show up from 7:00 to whenever, I've never known a Korean restaurant to turn anyone away hungry unless it's 5 minutes after closing time.

Negotiations are continuing with two restaurants...one is going to be the lucky winner...the food will be good, plentiful and no one will leave hungry.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey, if we go to Cafe Muse, then we can even rent out a noraebong and check out everyone's karaoke stylings!  :lol:

ARRRRRRGHHHHH!!!! this is supposed to be an ENJOYABLE dinner...(you wouldn't want to hear me sing unless you have a bunch of pigs you want called) :huh:

Well, the 1/2 is about two and half feet tall, weighs about 22 lbs, and wants nothing to do with solid food...he just needs a place to sit (high chair) and flirt with anyone who will look his way.

Rob

Sounds like the perfect candidate to sample the kimchi...I don't think that will present any kind of problem at all (other than having a whole bunch of (female) waitstaff flirting with him...)

Edited by Escoffier

I don't know who norae is, but this sounds like it might be fun.  :lol:

Here you go...

Here's the BMW "noraebong". That's where you do karaoke. I haven't been to one of these yet, but the Koreans are totally serious about them. What's different is that instead of singing in front of a huge audience, you get a private room and just sing with your friends. Oh, and the "BMW" part--that's just shameless copyright violation. (I borrowed this description from someone's blog...)

There's one at the shopping center where Il Mee is located. You sure you want to do this? Normally, you don't go until large amounts of soju have been imbibed, inhibitions have been beaten far past submission and each step is an adventure in inner ear control.

Edited by Escoffier

Okay, Escoffier and I have talked and I am going to turn this into a formal event. The restaurants he is working with are going to put together a special menu and will expect a certain amount of revenue and I want to ensure they receive it. Plus, it's not fair to sick you all on someone who hasn't even been through one of these before :lol:

If your name is on the PM list you don't have to email me. If you would still like to join them please shoot me a PM by Friday. The cost is going to go over $20 but not by a whole lot and as usual I am going to ask for prepayment through paypal.

I'll have Don split this and start a new thread for more discussion about this meal. It sounds like you are in for a real treat!

If your name is on the PM list you don't have to email me.  If you would still like to join them please shoot me a PM by Friday.  The cost is going to go over $20 but not by a whole lot and as usual I am going to ask for prepayment through paypal.

Sorry for the perhaps excessive pingage... but while I was listed, my +1 was not, and I wanted to make sure he was part of the headcount. :lol:

:):lol:   :huh:   :)Trying to say this in the nicest way possible without sounding totally cranky :wub:   :)   :wub:   :)

Please do not PM me if your name is on the list above.

Instead, PM me if your name is NOT on the list but you would like to attend.

Thank you.

Rocks,  split the thread please.

Jeez, just noticed that neither mine nor my wonderful +1 are on that list....does that mean we can't come? :)

We are starting to get more organized here behind the scenes so I wanted to give you all an update. Right now we are going to limit the event to 30 people and will ask for prepayment. The cost is going to be over $20, but not by more than $10-$15 and will include tax and tip.

I am going to accept names until noon tomorrow. From there goldenticket, who has graciously offered to help, will figure out if we need to do a lottery for this event as well.

Again, please only PM me if your name is not on the list above. I apologize if I haven't responded to all the PM's I received today but well, the paying job has to come first and Masetro is only 8 days away. When you send out a PM, at the bottom of the page there is a box you can check to track the message. This will let you know if I have read your PM (you can track your messages by clicking on the My Controls button). Thanks.

The current list for the Korean dinner is below. PLEASE check and see if your name is on it.

I think there may be some people who have expressed interest but aren't able to make it on the scheduled date (Tuesday, February 21, 7:00 PM). If you are one of them, or if you think you should be on the list and you're not, please send me (goldenticket) a PM so I can update the list. Once that is done, then I can determine if we need a lottery or not (so far it looks like we can accommodate everyone). I'll post an updated list by noon tomorrow. Next, we can start figuring out carpool arrangements :lol:

agm

notQuickDraw

MelGold

rvanrens (+1.5)

mbk

ScottJohnston

DanielK

hillvalley

mdt

shogun

StephenB

cucas87

crackers

principia (+1)

tweaked

UStreetGuy

CrescentFresh

goldenticket (+1)

escoffier

grover

NCPinDC

MeMc (+1)

ScotteeM

Demvtr (+1)

eatingout (+1)

sshorter

Jacques Gastreaux

RaisaB (+1)

Edited by goldenticket

Also, I know there are a couple of +1's out there that are missing from the list. Please let goldenticket know and she will add them. This event has been thrown together in a short amount of time and did not start off as organized as I would usually like.

Final cost of the dinner will be $35 including tax and tip but not including beverages other than water.

Also, I know there are a couple of +1's out there that are missing from the list.  Please let goldenticket know and she will add them.  This event has been thrown together in a short amount of time and did not start off as organized as I would usually like.

Final cost of the dinner will be $35 including tax and tip but not including beverages other than water.

Well, gosh, for an event that was planned as a $20 Tuesday, it's pretty well a fait accompli :lol: (who'd a thunk that what I envisioned as a get together for 5 or so people turned into a 30+ dinner with 8 or 9 courses?)

Hillvalley and Goldenticket are doing a great job of taking care of the logistics. Grover and I are getting the menu together and I'm pretty sure the people who come are going to have a great time and eat very well.

Oh, there's tea as well...Koreans love bori cha and I guarantee it will be there.

Bori Cha means roasted barley tea. Some restaurants use roasted corn instead.

Both of them have earthy flavor.

One more drink will be served: rice drink called sik-hye.

fermented rice from dried barley sprout.

It helps digestion.

Edited by grover

Escoffier and Grover have provided the answer to the question you've all been asking...where are we going for dinner?

Han Sung Oak

6341 Columbia Pike

Falls Church

Here is a Mapquest link.

The menu will include:

* Chap Chae *

* Bul gogi *

* Hae Mool Pa Jun *

* Dolsot Bibim Bap *

* Nakji Bok Geum *

Just to name a few of the dishes! Looks like we're in for about 10 courses (and that's not including the panchan) so come hungry :lol:

As the restaurant is not close to a Metro stop, we will be asking for volunteers to pick up the carless at Braddock Road or King St. If you will need a ride, or can offer to drive, please send me a PM so we can make sure we have everyone covered. If you're coming from DC or MD and want to offer transport, please feel free to post it on this thread (Rocks/Hillvalley - let me know if that's not OK).

* Chap Chae *

* Bul gogi *

* Hae Mool Pa Jun *

* Dolsot Bibim Bap *

* Nakji Bok Geum *

Í'm really looking foward to this event. I am shamefully ignorant of Korean food. It would be helpful, Grover, if you could give short descriptions of the listed courses.

Í'm really looking foward to this event.  I am shamefully ignorant of Korean food.  It would be helpful, Grover, if you could give short descriptions of the listed courses.

Is it all right if I offer a bit of a tease for the listed courses?

* Chap Chae * - Vermicelli noodles stir fried with beef and veggies (you had this for New Years)

* Bul gogi * - Thinly sliced, very tender beef - barbecued at the table

* Hae Mool Pa Jun * - Pancake with scallions, shrimp, oyster and squid. Korean "pizza"

* Dolsot Bibim Bap * - Grilled and marinated beef and veggies on rice, topped with a fried egg. Served in a very hot stoneware pot

* Nakji Bok Geum * - Spicy stir fried octopus and veggies

There will be a mix of spicy and non-spicy foods so that you all get an idea of the scope of Korean cuisine. This is a sample of the food. There will be lots more as well as panchan. Be sure to come hungry.

Korean chopsticks are very thin and metal. If you aren't sure of your chopstick dexterity, forks will be available and there is no shame involved. (It took me a while to get used to using them and I've been using chopsticks almost forever). The other utensil will be a long handled spoon... it's for soup and rice. It's your friend and will bring back memories of being a kid.

Most of all, enjoy and ask questions. Grover (who happens to be an expert on Korean food) and I (who happens to be an expert at eating Korean food) won't laugh at any question. I've already asked all the silly questions and she still likes me. Grover will bring a Korean cookbook so you can copy any recipe you really like (if you happen to write Korean :lol: )

Edited by Escoffier

The panchan at Han Sung Oak are such a treat. In the past, I've had

*kim chi-this is the spicy cabbage variety

*pickled diakon radish strips- shoestring cut daikon radish, lightly picked and tossed with pepper paste

*pickled cubed daikon radish-I remembering this being seasoned differently than the shoestring strips

*deep fried sliced of tofu drizzled with a soy sauce, green onion and hot pepper paste mixture

*thin slices of fish cake marinated in a sweet/salty sauce

*white slices of gelatiny stuff that was savory and very tasty

*sliced, sauteed zucchini served cold and marinated in a soy and sesame oil sauce

*sauteed spicy peppers, marinated in some sort of savory sauce

*potato salad

*cold watercress salad

*marinated bean sprouts, lightly cooked

*little slivers of dried fish, sauced with a sweet/salty/spicy glaze

*some other type of fish, also with addictively good sweet/salty/spicy glaze

*some sort of tiny little brown beans, glazed with a sweet/salty sauce

Those of you who are going to this are really going to enjoy it! We've taken lots of friends here and everyone loves it.

Edited by V.H.

Thank you V.H. for introducing panchan.

I would like to add the Korean names to your list.

*kim chi-this is the spicy cabbage variety

*pickled diakon radish strips- shoestring cut daikon radish, lightly picked and tossed with pepper paste -- Moo Chae (actually it is not daikon, it is a different radish)

*pickled cubed daikon radish-I remembering this being seasoned differently than the shoestring strips -- Gak Doo gee (radish kimchi)

*deep fried sliced of tofu drizzled with a soy sauce, green onion and hot pepper paste mixture -- Tofu Jo-Rim

*thin slices of fish cake marinated in a sweet/salty sauce -- Awh Mook Jo-Rim

*white slices of gelatiny stuff that was savory and very tasty -- Tahng Pyung Chae

*sliced, sauteed zucchini served cold and marinated in a soy and sesame oil sauce -- Ho Bahk Moo-Chim

*sauteed spicy peppers, marinated in some sort of savory sauce -- Go Choo Jo-Rim

*potato salad

*cold watercress salad -- Not sure.. maybe Mi Nah ri Moo-Chim

*marinated bean sprouts, lightly cooked -- Kong Nah Mul

*little slivers of dried fish, sauced with a sweet/salty/spicy glaze -- It is dried anchovy. Myul Chee Bok-Geum

*some other type of fish, also with addictively good sweet/salty/spicy glaze -- It is mackeral. Go Deng Uh Jo-Rim

*some sort of tiny little brown beans, glazed with a sweet/salty sauce -- Kong Jah Bahn

Jo-Rim and Moo-Chim usually belong to the panchan category.

Hope this helps! :lol:

Edited by grover

Just a reminder - if you're interested in attending the dinner please check the list upthread and make sure your name is on it (or if it is and shouldn't be, let me know ASAP).

Details again are:

Tues. Feb. 21, 7:00 pm at Han Sung Oak, $35/person inc. tax and tip to be paid in advance via Paypal.

Thanks!

I'll be posting the final list for the lottery after noon on Thursday (Feb. 2) with the lottery (if necessary) to take place soon after.

Í'm really looking foward to this event.  I am shamefully ignorant of Korean food.  It would be helpful, Grover, if you could give short descriptions of the listed courses.

I am in the same boat as Stephen and enjoyed the short writeups. Now I am even more excited for the dinner on the 21st!

If you know what kimchi is and you like it, then you are not shamefully ignorant of Korean food.

:lol:

By the way, people who are afraid of having spicy food, please let me know so I can put you non-spicy food side.

Edited by grover

Below is the final list (numbers worked out perfectly, so no lottery required - HOORAY!!) for the

7:00 pm.

Tuesday, February 21

Korean Dinner at Han Sung Oak.

Hillvalley will take over on the payment front (again, dinner is $35/person, which includes tax and tip) and will be posting about Paypal details. Please see DonRocks post on the event FAQs for further details on payment, etc.

agm

notQuickDraw

MelGold

rvanrens (+1.5)

mbk

ScottJohnston

DanielK

hillvalley

mdt

shogun

StephenB

cucas87

crackers

principia (+1)

tweaked

UStreetGuy

CrescentFresh

goldenticket (+1)

escoffier

grover

NCPinDC

MeMc (+1)

ScotteeM

Demvtr (+1)

eatingout (+1)

sshorter

Jacques Gastreaux

RaisaB (+1)

Edited by goldenticket

The +1 will be car-ing it in and picking me up from Metro, so we can pickup two more folks from whichever Metro folks think would be closest - I'm afraid I've checked WMATA and it has been most unhelpful.

Make sure you PM goldenticket, she's coordinating all the riders/ridees (sure hope that's a good word). I'm sure there will be enough rides for everyone who is car-less.

If we can all agree on Braddock Rd. Metro station, Grover and I can meet all carpoolers and carpoolees there and act as guide to Han Sung Oak. For dinner at 7:00, I'd suggest getting to Braddock Road Metro around 6:30. PM goldenticket and let her know if you need a ride or want to follow Grover and I there.

Edited by Escoffier

Now that we have the list it is on to the fun part-payment. Please read the FAQ that goldenticket linked above. You can also find it at the top of the Restaurants and Dining thread.

goldenticket has generously offered to deal with rides and carpools. Contrary to what Escoffier said above, DO NOT Pm her about rides until she asks for details. We'll deal with it later, after you all have paid :huh:

I have email addresses for most people on the list. I will send out a PM to those who need to email me. Please do not be helpful and email me first :lol: I'll let you know!

Until then, sit back and dream of Korean delights.

Below is the final list (numbers worked out perfectly, so no lottery required - HOORAY!!) for the

7:00 pm.

Tuesday, February 21

Korean Dinner at Han Sung Oak.

Hillvalley will take over on the payment front (again, dinner is $35/person, which includes tax and tip) and will be posting about Paypal details.  Please see DonRocks post on the event FAQs for further details on payment, etc.

rvanrens (+1.5)

mbk

cucas87

escoffier

NCPinDC

MeMc (+1)

Demvtr (+1)

eatingout (+1)

The people listed above need to send me an email from the email address connected to your paypal account to the email address you received in the PM I just sent. Sorry that's a convoluted sentence but it is early in the morning. If I do not hear from you by Friday at noon I will assume that you are not joining us for the dinner.

Thanks!

The people listed above need to send me an email from the email address connected to your paypal account to the email address you received in the PM I just sent.  Sorry that's a convoluted sentence but it is early in the morning.  If I do not hear from you by Friday at noon I will assume that you are not joining us for the dinner. 

Thanks!

Just a reminder - if you're on the list above and you haven't sent Hillvalley an email yet, be sure to do it this morning!

Keep an eye out for the Paypal invoices over the weekend and please be sure to pay them promptly!

(consider it an early birthday present for Hillvalley :lol: - I'm sure she'll appreciate anything we can do to make this easy on her)

Details on carpooling will be worked out mid-to-late next week - watch this space :huh:

This is the final list. There were a number of couples on the list so I consolidated you to +1 to make my record keeping easier. If you are not on the list or there is another mistake let me know asap.

agm+1

rvanrens (+1.5)

mbk

DanielK

hillvalley

mdt

shogun

StephenB

cucas87

crackers

principia (+1)

tweaked

UStreetGuy

CrescentFresh

goldenticket (+1)

escoffier+1

NCPinDC

MeMc (+1)

ScotteeM

Demvtr (+1)

eatingout (+1)

sshorter

Jacques Gastreaux

RaisaB (+1)

Most of the PayPal emails went out yesterday, the final batch will be sent shortly. If I do not have your email you need to get it to me asap (you received a PM from me last night).

Thank you to those of you who took care of the PayPal transaction right away. I really appreciate it. Someone had the SO with the initials AB pay for them. Would you let me know who you are so I can credit you with paying? Thanks. I don't keep track of SO's names if they are not members or on the email you sent me so please let me know ahead of time if someone else is paying for you.

Does the restaurant serve beer?

Not only beer (Japanese and Korean if I remember correctly) but other alcohol as well. A good time to try soju if you're brave enough. I owe goldenticket one but we may be able to make it for the entire table.

Edited by Escoffier

6:00pm 이월 21 일, 우리는 Braddock 도로 Metro 역 에 Han에 의하여 노래되는 오크를 발견하기에 도움을 필요로 하 는 누군가 만날 것이다. 거기서또는 Han에 의하여 노래되는 오크에 너를 보십시요

If you can read this, you already know what the menu will be like. Really looking forward to putting names and faces together next week. Grover and I hope you will like Korean food as much as we do.

Edited by Escoffier

I assume everyone's all paid up since Hillvalley didn't have to post anyone's name :lol:

Now for transportation logistics....

If you need a ride, please send me a PM. Currently, there should be rides for 5-6 people from the Braddock Road Metro. I also have had offers to pick up/drop off people at Ballston and Pentagon City.

So, let me know and we'll get things organized so everyone has a way to get to this sure-to-be-fun AND exciting event!

Edited by goldenticket

Here is the list for tomorrow night:

agm +1

crackers

CrescentFresh

cucas87

DanielK

Demvtr +1

eatingout +1

escoffier +1

goldenticket

Jacques Gastreaux

mbk

mdt

MoniqueDC

NCPinDC

principia +1

RaisaB +1

rvanrens +1

ScotteeM

shogun

sshorter

StephenB

tweaked

UStreetGuy

eta: Monique :lol:

Edited by hillvalley

I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

What a great night, thank you to Escoffier, Grover, Goldenticket and Hillvalley. And it was really nice to put faces and real names with screen names.

The variety of flavors in tonight's meal was just incredible. I loved the food and all of the condiments that came with the dishes, especially the greens and carrots and radish and (a surprise for me), the kimchee.

Wow. I still can't believe how great this was. We started with a noodle dish (I think it was bean thread noodles, with vegetables and meat, all gently seasoned with sesame oil. Um, even though I asked about 6 times what this is called, I'm not sure I recall correctly --food coma, sorry-- maybe it's called jop chae), then we progressed to a seafood pancake served with a spicy sauce (Escoffier called this Korean pizza, I seem to recall it's called something like pajeon), then on to the famous barbeque (ribeye, tenderloin (I think) and pork) which we rolled in lettuce leaves, a really tasty dish with rice, egg, vegetables in a casserole type pot, then on to monkfish with vegetables, and then noodles cooked in the broth from the bbq beef, somewhere along the lines we had spicy squid (fabulous), and seafood soup, and cold noodles and fruit for dessert. I think I may have left something out.

I must admit I ate everything. And then some. Thanks again to Grover and Escoffier. A great night, and a great restaurant. I will definitely go back.