Beerspotting

cjsadler

I just discovered this place last week. They have one of the nicest beer selections in the city.

Rodman's just got in the Troegs "Flying Mouflan". This is the first of their one-off scratch series to be put in to production. Not for all you 4% session loving pussies.

John Trogner says: "We classify this beer as pushing Nugget Nectar off the side of a cliff." “It is bold and intense–think hops dipped in candied sugar and rolled in dark chocolate nibs. Over time, the Flying Mouflan transforms into lush raisin and chocolate overtones as the hops subside and the rich barley flavors come out in the beer.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had Stone Imperial Russian Stout at Max's on Broadway and I think it was probably one of the best stouts I've ever had, although I most certainly do not consider myself a connoisseur of stout beer. It was not nearly as heavy as the website makes it out to be, it was one of the few stouts I've had that I could see having more than one and not end up feeling like I just eaten an entire steak dinner.

I also tried Southern Tier Mokah and it was a bit too sweet for me. I would've like a milk chaser or a hot fudge brownie a la mode to go along with it. I finished it, but it took a little effort.

Was at the Dubliner over the weekend and noticed they had the GUINNESS 250 Anniversary Stout on tap. we asked the barmaid what she thought about the brew and her look of concern and statement of "if you like Guinness you won't like the 250" prompted us to buy a sample pint. Yeah it sucked. Perhaps one of the worst beers I've tried this year. It literally had no flavor...it actually did taste like carbonated water.

Has anyone seen Baird beer on the shelves in this area? I just had the Angry Boy Brown Ale, and W-o-W is it good! Solid, hearty, warm beer that goes down smooth, even with its complexness. This beats Hitachino by a mile. Plus, there's that Mt. Fuji coolness added to it. There's a Mass. distributor listed, but just curious if anyone carries here and I just missed it??

Found some interesting bottles at the Clarendon WF today, Avery Mephistopheles' Stout. Usually I just see the bombers and 6 packs of Avery around town, but the 12 oz demon series beers on the shelf were a nice surprise. Managed to pick up 3 (all they had on the shelf) at $7.99 a pop. I've only had the Samael's Ale from the demon line, but am looking forward to cracking one of these open.

I heard Brooklyn Black Ops is available at the Whole Foods on P Street. I also heard that it is $30 this year. It's an incredible beer, but $30?!

You can get it for 26 a few places in NY. I really liked last years edition but I don't think I've had the new one yet.

My wife picked up a Guiness 250 glass when we were in London.

You can get it for 26 a few places in NY. I really liked last years edition but I don't think I've had the new one yet.

I was in NYC the other weekend and was able to pick up Black Ops for $19 at New Beer Distributors (good beer store on the lower east side).

While on a KBS hunt today, I found some Founder's Nemesis at Arrowine. No real details on the website, but the label says it as a maple bourbon barrel aged wheat wine. That description might be a little over the top, but I can't wait to crack one open. This looks like another salvo in the war between Bells and Founders to be Michigan's top brewery.

While on a KBS hunt today, I found some Founder's Nemesis at Arrowine. No real details on the website, but the label says it as a maple bourbon barrel aged wheat wine. That description might be a little over the top, but I can't wait to crack one open. This looks like another salvo in the war between Bells and Founders to be Michigan's top brewery.

I've tried it and enjoyed it quite a bit. If there is a war, it's a war that we all win. ;)

The Big Hunt has an interesting looking beer dinner happening tomorrow night.

Kentucky Derby Warm-Up Party on Wednesday April 28th, 8-midnight!

The event starts with your choice of two bourbon cocktails, including a Perfect Woodford Reserve Manhattan, a Bulliet Mint Julep, and an Elijah Craig Kentucky Punch, followed by a dinner of pulled pork sandwiches, collard greens, cheese grits, and bacon & bourbon cornbread.

There will be five featured 6 to 8 oz draughts, including Great Lakes Brewing Co.’s Lake Erie Monster (Double IPA), their Holy Moses Witbier, and Allagash Confluence. For dessert, traditional Derby Pie will be paired with Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout.

Tickets are $50, on sale Monday-Thursday from 4-8 p.m. at the bar. Seating is limited to 50

Founders KBS has arrived, although in very very limited quantities.

I finally had a chance to try this, and all I can say is Yow-yow-yow-yowzer! I feel like a circus performer, where after a sip, if you took a match and lit it, I can make a nice fireball with it. Neat.

The Review: Very different from Breakfast stout and Sessions Black Lager, where the dark notes store in your mouth all at once, then it starts dissecting where the bourbon part hits the back of the throat hard while the dark notes slide down.

I've never seen Raven on draft before and I am quite excited about that.

I realize that I'm quoting a post that's 2+ years old, but I had a (draft) Raven Lager for the first time at Senart's on Barracks Row recently and quite liked it. I'm sure it's available much more widely in DC than it was two years ago, but they have it if someone's looking for it.

Looking for a 6er of Hopslam. I realize that it's hot and there may not be much left but if anyone has recently seen a supply of some, would appreciate if you pass on where you saw it. Thanks!

It was fairly available last year for about a 2 week span. P St Whole Foods seemed to hold on to their stock for a bit longer. I guess it just depends on how badly you want to pay for it! Any guesses on whether retail will average closer to $30 this year?

ChurchKey is again tapping the only cask of HopSlam in the region this year on Tuesday, 1/31 at 6:00 PM

Or maybe I'm wrong. However, there was the same hysteria that surrounds this release last year, but I was able to find available stock weeks after release scattered around. If I wanted to pay for it, that is.

I know Norm's Beer & Wine in Vienna sold out of their allotment in under 4 hours yesterday (they were selling for $19.99/6-pack).

Westover Market had some rare-ish bombers in stock today. There were a few Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown Ales and about a case's worth of Rogue Voodoo Maple Bacon Ale. While the reviews for the Maple Bacon Ale haven't been as kind as other one-off varieties, I picked a bottle up for the curiosity factor. I might pour some out in memory of Restaurant 3.

Found 4-packs of Green Flash Brewing's "Le Freak" at the P St WF yesterday. It's a Belgian/Imperial IPA hybrid, and it always impresses the hell out of me. Nicely balanced. Usually I can only find bombers when it pops up randomly in DC. I may need to go back for more before it disappears again ...

I think I hit my personal price ceiling today for beer. Westover was selling Avery's Odio Equum for $17.99 per 12 oz bottle today. Typically the 12 oz barrel aged Avery's go for $8-$11 a pop. To put things in perspective, I bought the Westvleteren 12 "6 pack" for $85, so around $14.50 per bottle, plus the two branded glasses. I think someone needs to rethink their pricing strategy or hope it was just a cash register error.

I think I hit my personal price ceiling today for beer. Westover was selling Avery's Odio Equum for $17.99 per 12 oz bottle today. Typically the 12 oz barrel aged Avery's go for $8-$11 a pop. To put things in perspective, I bought the Westvleteren 12 "6 pack" for $85, so around $14.50 per bottle, plus the two branded glasses. I think someone needs to rethink their pricing strategy or hope it was just a cash register error.

I think many of the BrewDog offerings regularly hit that price point, and sometimes far, far above it (Tactical Nuclear Penguin, etc.). And you know what? I'll never try them. Novelty only goes so far. I made that mistake way back when Sam Adams Triple Bock was first released. The most I've ever paid for a single bottle of beer was a magnum of Stone Oaked Arrogant Bastard ($50 or so if I recall). But hey, it was New Years, and it was a giant bottle that said Arrogant Bastard on it. And it was padlocked.

Back on topic: where have people found Stone Enjoy By ... at retail?

Odio Equum is perhaps one of the most elusive beers to come by would love to get my hands on a bottle. I think I have hit that same threshold on a bottle of Mikkeler Beer Geek Brunch Weasel Calvados Edition. Need to crack that one soon!