Beerspotting

cjsadler

Interesting list of the best beer stores nationwide for 2008. State Line in Elkton, MD (#8) does have a nice selection.

State Line is a must-stop on any road trip between here and NYC. And they have taps in the back where you can fill up a growler!

Others that I really like: Bottleworks in Seattle, Belmont Station in Portland, and obviously, Chevy Chase.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Beamish Website lists Kozak as the distributor in VA (and the Kozak website doesn't look like they distribute as far north as Richmond) and Buck as the distributor in MD (looks like it might be a better bet, they claim distribution in PG county).

Let us know if you find it...I too haven't seen it in at least two years.

I stumbled upon some Beamish yesterday at World Market in Tyson's and happily grabbed 2 four-packs. They didn't have much there, and I don't know if any other locations have it, but it might be worth checking out.

I stumbled upon some Beamish yesterday at World Market in Tyson's and happily grabbed 2 four-packs. They didn't have much there, and I don't know if any other locations have it, but it might be worth checking out.

Forgot to mention it here, but I saw Beamish by the case at Total Wine a couple weeks ago.

I don't know if it is available anywhere in DC, but since moving up to Jersey I have really been into this NJ brewery called River Horse. They make a couple of great belgian style beers. The first is a Tripel called Tripel Horse and they also have a bready White Ale called Brewer's reserv. I really enjoy both and they definitely hold up to my favorites in those categories (especially when factoring in the price). I have also tried a few from their regular lineup (a pale ale, esb and lager) and their winter seasonal, all were solid. I am currently drinking my first batch of their summer blond ale which definitely hit the spot during the warm memorial day weekend, light and easy to drink without lacking character. Not seriously hoppy (which I like) and not overly sweet or citrussy like a lot of summer brews (ie Leinenkugels). It was like mama bear's bear, just right....

Anyways, if you see this stuff on any shelves in DC I recommend picking it up.

I have really been into this NJ brewery called River Horse.

Tripel Horse made the rounds a couple years ago (and maybe the winter, too), but since then I haven't seen too many of their products in the DC area. Never really did it for me then, but a couple years is like an era in craft brewing...they definitely might have stepped it up since then.

Just scored me a mixed case of Three Floyds....GumballHead, Alpha King & Pride and Joy. Also got a bomber of Alpha Klaus Christmas Porter. PM me if you want to know where they have it. It won't last long as they only got 5 or six cases in total.

Just scored me a mixed case of Three Floyds....GumballHead, Alpha King & Pride and Joy. Also got a bomber of Alpha Klaus Christmas Porter. PM me if you want to know where they have it. It won't last long as they only got 5 or six cases in total.

Oh just tell us all already! :lol:

I'm very bummed that 3 Floyds is disappearing from this market. Gumballhead is a fantastic summer brew.

My companion got a beer that the bar manager and one of the waiters had actually driven a U-Haul to Indiana to pick up that was outstanding, although the name escapes me right now (the one at the bottom of the small production list, if you go).

Three Floyds is the brewery, I believe. Not sure which beer of theirs.

Three Floyds is the brewery, I believe. Not sure which beer of theirs.

I'm guessing that would be DarkLord. They have a huge release party for this every year and the hype has gotten to the point that it is only available in bottles by reservation I think (?) or as a growler fill at the brewery. Case allotments sell out that day. Imperial stouts aren't really my thing, but if they're yours I would suggest getting down to Birreria ASAP.

Had it confirmed by the Beer Yard in Wayne, PA this weekend that 3F has completely stopped distribution to the East Coast. They aren't expanding production and local demand is such that they can sell all that they produce even after shrinking the market. Good for them, but bad news for fans like me. I'm going to really, really miss my Gumballhead this summer ...

Bend Brewing Hop Head Imperial IPA.

It's impossible to find out here, but if you ever find yourself in Portland or Bend, ask after it every chance you get. Unbelievably good. Honey-malt and big citrus like in Bell's Two-Hearted but with a nice dose of herbal/piney hops in there too. Hides the 8.7% really, really well. Picked this bottle up in February and it is still drinking splendidly, showing no signs of decline.

We've got eight beers on tap, all domestic (many local) microbrews. They'll change from time to time based on the season, availability (from Montgomery County) and our beer loving whims...

Dogfish Head: Lawn Mower Light (Delaware)

Did you have to put in a special order for this? I wasn't aware that they let this beer out of the Rehoboth brewpub, although I guess they might've relaxed their shipping policies since they have to ship the stuff to the DC and VA brewpubs too, now.

They haven't put this month's issue online yet.

NYC/Brooklyn had a good number, as did Seattle. Lemme see some numbers here...

NYC (including Brooklyn): 13

DC (including Alexandria): 6

Baltimore, MD: 2

Charlottesville, VA: 1

Richmond, VA: 1

Athens, GA: 1

Decatur, GA: 1

Atlanta, GA: 1

San Diego, CA: 4

Asheville, NC: 2

Raleigh NC: 1

Boise, ID: 1

Ithaca, NY: 1

Denver, CO: 1

Portland, ME: 2

Portland, OR: 5

Bozeman, MT: 1

Alpine, CA: 1

Santa Rosa, CA: 2

Seattle, WA: 6

Anchorage, AK: 1

Waldoboro, ME: 1

San Francisco, CA: 5

St. Louis, MO: 1

Chicago, IL: 3

San Gabriel, CA: 1

Austin, TX: 1

Pasadena, CA: 1

Albany, NY: 1

St. Paul, MN: 2

Redondo Beach, CA: 1

Manchester, NC: 1

Allston, MA: 1

Kansas City, MO: 1

Champaign, IL: 1

Pittsburgh, PA: 1

Amherst, MA: 1

Philadelphia, PA: 3

Brookline, MA: 1

Oakland, CA: 1

Cambridge, MA: 2

Tampa, FL: 1

Minneapolis, MN: 1

Mobile, AL: 1

Northampton, MA: 1

New Albany, IN: 1

Mount Pleasant, SC: 1

Los Angeles, CA: 1

DeLand, FL: 1

Salt Lake City, UT: 1

Las Vegas, NV: 1

Birmingham, AL: 1

Sioux Falls, SD: 1

Milwaukee, WI: 1

Wasilla, AK: 1

Oklahoma City, OK: 1

Lovell, ME: 1

Can't wait to see this actual list. The fact that we beat out Portland, Oregon and San Fran has me seriously questioning the criteria. Don't get me wrong, I like the recognition, but still. Am I really underestimating us that much?

Denver has a lot of great beer places, and Chicago has a handful, as well. Also, not sure why Decatur and Atlanta are listed separately while Alexandria is with DC. Pasadena and Redondo could be lumped in with LA, Brookline with Boston, etc.

Denver has a lot of great beer places, and Chicago has a handful, as well. Also, not sure why Decatur and Atlanta are listed separately while Alexandria is with DC. Pasadena and Redondo could be lumped in with LA, Brookline with Boston, etc.

That's because I arbitrarily lumped together the listing I put up there. :lol: I'm not familiar enough with a lot of those areas to say what exactly goes with who where; for instance, I know Oakland and San Francisco are right next to each other...

Can't wait to see this actual list. The fact that we beat out Portland, Oregon and San Fran has me seriously questioning the criteria. Don't get me wrong, I like the recognition, but still. Am I really underestimating us that much?

Well, I do wonder about some of that too. To quote from a friend of mine who works at UGA when I sent him the ones in Georgia:

Thanks Mike, but this:

>GA:

>Best International Selection: The Globe Bar, 199 N. Lumpkin St, Athens, GA 30601

makes me suspicious. The Globe doesn't even have the best international selection in ATHENS, let alone the entire state.

Just sayin'

So you have to take it as-is, perhaps, for places you don't know.

I'm going to NYC in mid-September and most of the people I'm hanging out with are more beer nuts than cocktail nerds, so I'm using the list as an "idea" place for somewhere to hit (though we'll probably be hitting Pegu Club at least, and I'm pushing for Death & Company, depending on how time works out).

(And no - I'm not quite certain why he called me Mike, as he's always known me as SeanMike...only my family usually calls me Mike...)

Green Flash Le Freak - another one of the 2IPA vs Belgian Tripel hybrids, except completely imbalanced. This beer is the anti-jparrot: super-carbonated, 9%, and totally over-the-top with piney hops. Normally I'm ok with all of those things, but this one is just too much pine. Avoid.

I've seen them at Cairo Liquors on 17th as well

Cairo's usually got a good selection (they have some rare-ish DFH stuff too), but you'll pay a buck or two more per sixpack than WF, which is saying something. At least that was my impression last time I visited.

Also grabbed a bottle of the Cuvee at WF a few days ago. Looking forward to it.

Cairo's usually got a good selection (they have some rare-ish DFH stuff too), but you'll pay a buck or two more per sixpack than WF, which is saying something. At least that was my impression last time I visited.

Also grabbed a bottle of the Cuvee at WF a few days ago. Looking forward to it.

Cairo isn't the cheapest around, but they are my "local" so I'm there quite a bit. I don't mind paying for the convenience, especially when unexpected treats like bottles of Westvleteren 8 (!!!) pop up. Bombers are usually priced more competitively, but the 6-packs do tend to be expensive. I like them as a good source for other singles, too: most high gravity DFH stuff (120 Minute, Burton Baton, World Wide) are priced by the bottle. And they always have Consiton Bluebird in stock :lol:

Cairo isn't the cheapest around, but they are my "local" so I'm there quite a bit. I don't mind paying for the convenience, especially when unexpected treats like bottles of Westvleteren 8 (!!!) pop up. Bombers are usually priced more competitively, but the 6-packs do tend to be expensive. I like them as a good source for other singles, too: most high gravity DFH stuff (120 Minute, Burton Baton, World Wide) are priced by the bottle. And they always have Consiton Bluebird in stock :lol:

Man I was just there this evening looking for some of the ST Imperial stuff (of course w/ my luck there was nothing). I would of snagged some Conistion BB if I saw it. I did get the Chevy Chase vibe about Cairo though, in that I got a feeling that some of the beers have been sitting on the shelf a long while.

Man I was just there this evening looking for some of the ST Imperial stuff (of course w/ my luck there was nothing). I would of snagged some Conistion BB if I saw it. I did get the Chevy Chase vibe about Cairo though, in that I got a feeling that some of the beers have been sitting on the shelf a long while.

The Coniston is in the cooler on the left hand side, top right shelf. They also usually have Bitter & Twisted, Hen's Tooth, Sam Smith and other assorted UK brews in singles. The small cooler behind the shelves with DFH and Stone Brewing products will sometimes have those same bombers chilled at the very bottom. Their strategy for organizing stock is, um, erratic :lol:

I would bet that some of those obscure Belgians have been there for years.

P St Whole Foods had a selection of 4 or 5 Southern Tier bombers in the cooler a couple days ago.

**INAUGURATION ALERT**

We found out today that Heileman's Old Style (from Chicago) and Primo (Hawaii) will be available in D.C., at least through the Inauguration.

Might grab 'em while you can, the D.C. distributor is unlikely to carry them after the Inauguration, but anything is possible.

I had Urbock 23 last night for the first time. Delicious!
It's worth noting that while we were having this at The Saloon, realized it's also now going to be available at Ben's Next Door, which has a surprisingly decent selection of beers. It's quite an interesting mix of what might appeal to the masses (nice business savvy) and unique things.

Draft: Delirium Tremens, Raven, Urbock 23 (amongst more boring choices)

Bottle: Brother T(helonius?), LaChouffe, and some ones I haven't heard of: Tusker (apparently Kenyan) and Xingo

It's worth noting that while we were having this at The Saloon, realized it's also now going to be available at Ben's Next Door, which has a surprisingly decent selection of beers. It's quite an interesting mix of what might appeal to the masses (nice business savvy) and unique things.

And Next Door didn't appear to have the "one Urbock per customer" rule.

Draft: Delirium Tremens, Raven, Urbock 23 (amongst more boring choices)

Bottle: Brother T(helonius?), LaChouffe, and some ones I haven't heard of: Tusker (apparently Kenyan) and Xingo

I've never seen Raven on draft before and I am quite excited about that.

By Xingo, do they perhaps mean Xingu, the black South American (I believe Brazilian) beer? I've had that at Lost Dog and at the Brickskellar. I could swear that the Teeter near my house has carried it. I know at least 1-2 stores (probably Westover Market and Total Wine) carry it in NoVA.

Here's something new that you folks in Virginia and Maryland can look forward to drinking right now (D.C. will follow sometime soon)

Sierra Nevada "Torpedo" Extra I.P.A.

A new year-round line extension from Sierra Nevada. :P

They're on a roll right now; the Celebration was (IMHO) way better this year than last, in part because of the Torpedo technology...the current seasonal, the "Early Spring Beer" (initials no accident) is a very nice pale ale, falling somewhere (IMHO) between a very hoppy ESB and a less-hoppy-than-typical-West-Coast IPA, and the Torpedo furnishes something, year-round that they've been lacking as tastes in the marketplace have changed for the hoppier, a very aggressively hopped IPA.

And it's Bigfoot season...

Lagunitas New Dogtown Pale Ale. Their pale used to be good. Tweaked, it's great...borderline IPA, with lots of grassy dry-hopped character, nice refreshing citric bitterness, mellow caramel malt backbone. This is solid stuff.

Agreed! Had some last night and found it a great alternative to my usual IPA's.

Also got to try the recently released Brooklyn Local 2. Excellent now, but a little green. Pours a nice dark brown color with a thick head. The aroma is quite sweet from the candi sugar with a nice yeasty backbone. Taste was much more balanced than I expected..sweet, malty, spicy and just a touch of hops to balance it out. What is really cool is that this beer is 100% bottle re-fermented, which means that the beer is bottled with flat and undergoes an in-bottle fermentation which results in an almost Champagne like consistency. Nice bottle too.

They're on a roll right now; the Celebration was (IMHO) way better this year than last, in part because of the Torpedo technology...the current seasonal, the "Early Spring Beer" (initials no accident) is a very nice pale ale, falling somewhere (IMHO) between a very hoppy ESB and a less-hoppy-than-typical-West-Coast IPA

I've been wondering something about the ESB...

I bought the last six pack they had at the Lee Harrison Harris Teeter. The holder for the six pack was wet and the handle had broken but no big deal, I figured. I went home and later that night drank a couple of the Sierra Nevadas.

Dear lord, the next day I felt bad. Past anything I've felt in quite a while, sharp stomach pains.

Figuring it was something random, I sort of ignored it and slept it off. However, each time I drank beer out of that six pack the exact same thing happened.

I'm wondering if it was something with the six pack - the beer didn't smell or taste off - but I'm hesitant to drink anymore (now that the six pack is empty) just in case it IS the beer.