Hank's Oyster Bar, Casual Seafood in Several Area Locations - Chef Jamie Leeds Comes From 15 RIA

Onion rings were delicious, with the breading remaining on the onion ring with each bite.

Oh yes, I just had the onion rings at Hank's the First last Tuesday, and I was enamored by the crisp, NON-GREASY, batter. The lady and I, for a second, thought they were somehow oven-crisped...

I had a great visit to Hank's Old Town last Friday - I think I like it more than Hank's Dupont. The space is a little less crowded and quieter, and the service is friendlier.

The fresh oysters were excellent; the fried clams were light, crispy and delicious. The steamed mussels special had astounding tomato sauce, and were giant sized, tender, and mild.

As always, the service was attentive without being intrusive.

Can we have a Hank's World Empire?

Hi All,

Just wanted to let you know that we are starting our Oyster Happy Hour, $1 Oysters from 5:30 to 6:30, Sunday to Thursday. Both locations. I know alot of you really enjoyed that last winter, so we are bringing it back. Thanks to everyone for your continued support of Hanks. Jamie

Another enjoyable dinner at Hank's last night. As usual, the staff is very friendly. I had the meat and two which on Thursday was a porkchop with a fig-balsamic? sauce. Perfectly cooked and juicy. My sides were collards and mac and cheese. The collards were perfect al dente and had a bit of a pucker from vinegar. The mac and cheese was plentiful and topped with bread crumbs. I love having Hank's in Old Town.

The only bummer was that I couln't talk Mr. MV into sharing a fried Snickers bar at Eammon's after dinner :mellow::)

This afternoon/evening we tried happy hour for oysters at Hanks II, only to learn that it doesn't apply to the entire panoply of oysters, just a few, the Blue Points, the Malpeques, and Quilcenes, which was fine, and I see someone mentioned the same last year in a post I had not read before.

Hank's gets a lot of things right as if it was no effort at all, such as serving mignonette alongside cocktail sauce without being asked.

The oyster shucker needs improvement. We had one bad oyster and more shell fragments than we should have. They did replace the bad oyster with a good one, but the shucker should have been able to tell just by looking at it, as we did.

Stayed for dinner. The winter salad with butternut squash, watercress, and frisee had a perfect vinaigrette, and how often can one say that? The seared scallops with pureed lima beans, haricots vert, and black truffles was so good I wanted to lick the plate. Mussels in a tangy tomato broth that sopped up nicely with bread, and they have good bread.

Good bread, good vinaigrette, good mignonette, it's the little things that make all the difference.

The sidewalks of Old Town became a skating rink this evening, so I tied some pillows over my assless chaps and made my way along King St for my first visit to Hank's. The icy conditions made for a slow night with more wait staff than pillow-clad butts in seats, so the service I got at the bar was definitely attentive and friendly. Nice folks, and I like the narrow cozy space. The oysters were plenty fresh, and that lobster roll was certainly tasty-- though $23 for a hot dog bun-sized roll that's not really filled so much as topped with lobster? I dunno, seems a wee bit dear. And the Old Bay fries seemed like they were reheated, not freshly fried. I'm glad I went, and I'd drop in again if I was in the neighborhood, but I think they owe me some lobster meat.

Up in Maine and Massachusettes this summer, they were running $17-20 and it was roughly the equivalent of a one-pounder on a bun. I confess that I dodn't catch the fever. Just curious, does Hank's look like either of these?

Now that's a sweet looking sandwich. If there was an entire 1 lb lobster in the sandwich I had, I'll eat a meal at Red Lobster.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Hank's. It's just a little bit like that time in High School when I found out first hand that Jenny was stuffing her bra. Disappointing, yes, but I eagerly went back for more.

Up in Maine and Massachusettes this summer, they were running $17-20 and it was roughly the equivalent of a one-pounder on a bun.
Now that's a sweet looking sandwich. If there was an entire 1 lb lobster in the sandwich I had, I'll eat a meal at Red Lobster.

I could be mistaken, but I think the reference to "one-pounder" was to a one-pound lobster, which would yield about 4-5 oz of meat, by my math.

I could be mistaken, but I think the reference to "one-pounder" was to a one-pound lobster, which would yield about 4-5 oz of meat, by my math.

I understood the reference was to a one-pound lobster, and I stand by what I said. The yield on a lobster, according to a little online research I did, is about 20 - 25%. Nuf said, move along...

Dinner at Hank's in Old Town Saturday night was very good. For starters we had the peel and eat shrimp and crab cake. The shrimp are seasoned with Old Bay (not my favorite) and served cold with some cocktail sauce. Dinner was one of the specials, whole red snapper for two with two sides, we had beets and collards ($32). Yes you read that correctly, $32. It was a very good deal, especially when looking at the prices for entrees. FYI, the web site is a little out of date (albeit noted) with respect to current prices.

the early bird gets the $1 well-shucked oyster: penn cove and olympic miyagi, both sweet and small with a mildly briny liquor; and narragansette, big and powerful, even funky. the first two were fine with a squeeze of lemon, but the east coast monsters, not that their gamy flavor was utterly intolerable and needed drowning out, tasted better, and good, with horseradish and red chili. i like mignonette, but seldom use it.

a special chourcoute plate was well-timed for a bracing early spring evening, the sauerkraut pleasantly light and unsharp, with a fleck or two of ham, and accompanied by good, grainy mustard; a small piece of pinkly rare and luscious salmon; a few mussels; and two plump, perfectly sauteed and deliciously seared scallops, their flesh soft, rich and trembling. the scallops deserved better than the rounds of potatoes on which they were perched, hovering between crunchy and just plain underdone, a vegetable that can't be rushed.

the early bird gets the $1 well-shucked oyster: penn cove and olympic miyagi, both sweet and small with a mildly briny liquor; and narragansette, big and powerful, even funky. the first two were fine with a squeeze of lemon, but the east coast monsters, not that their gamy flavor was utterly intolerable and needed drowning out, tasted better, and good, with horseradish and red chili. i like mignonette, but seldom use it.

a special chourcoute plate was well-timed for a bracing early spring evening, the sauerkraut pleasantly light and unsharp, with a fleck or two of ham, and accompanied by good, grainy mustard; a small piece of pinkly rare and luscious salmon; a few mussels; and two plump, perfectly sauteed and deliciously seared scallops, their flesh soft, rich and trembling. the scallops deserved better than the rounds of potatoes on which they were perched, hovering between crunchy and just plain underdone, a vegetable that can't be rushed.

What time is the oyster happy hour? I thought it was only for February. Thanks.

Went to Hank's Oyster Bar last night... and I had the fried chicken.

Hank's fried chicken is damn good.

I'm wouldn't call myself a fried chicken maven, but I grew up on Popeye's (boo KFC) and I've recently had both Central's version and Marvin's version. I'd take Hank's over either of them. I got three big pieces of dark, thick, crusty fried chicken, served with a side of spicy honey that was the perfect condiment.

For sides, I went with the roasted potatoes & sweet potatoes for one and the roasted cauliflower as my other. It was so much food that, after I ate my fill for lunch, I still have a drumstick left over. Even having made the cardinal sin of putting the chicken in the fridge (should have left it on the counter to retain crispiness), it was still delicious.

$18, Thursday-only, check it out.

Alex

I had a lobster roll at Hank's Oyster Bar last night (Q st. location). I used to live in Maine. I have had probably hundreds of lobster rolls over the course of my life. And while I enjoyed Hank's version, I had this nagging feeling (and tasting, I guess. . .) that it was not all lobster.

Now, to be clear, I am NOT accusing them of anything. I am merely inquiring if anyone else has had the same experience. I would be more than happy if someone told me that I've lived down here too long and forgot what lobster rolls taste like!

And, to be fair, my mother loved her oysters and the little bowl of chocolate for dessert was a nice touch to the meal. All in all, I enjoy the place.

I had a lobster roll at Hank's Oyster Bar last night (Q st. location). I used to live in Maine. I have had probably hundreds of lobster rolls over the course of my life. And while I enjoyed Hank's version, I had this nagging feeling (and tasting, I guess. . .) that it was not all lobster.

Now, to be clear, I am NOT accusing them of anything. I am merely inquiring if anyone else has had the same experience. I would be more than happy if someone told me that I've lived down here too long and forgot what lobster rolls taste like!

And, to be fair, my mother loved her oysters and the little bowl of chocolate for dessert was a nice touch to the meal. All in all, I enjoy the place.

I'm not from Maine, so the last time I had a lobster roll was in Mystic. I've had Hank's roll and my guess it that it is all lobster--but perhaps not as big and chunky as in Maine.

Just wanted to pass this special along. A pretty good deal for Hank's in Old Town

$20 Lobster Roll Dinner at Hank's Old Town

Lobster Roll <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001oAqlVF4teDNK7qRWAEwtBpMYJiHEQP3_bTa9D6TZLdHYfjGUd892ey3jPxeYMHaL9zRIDDZU8fF

GqL99ssR3e3_8mgkU29DTJJHoDRm9sXA=>

20% more free for gift certificates over $50

December 22 and 23

Your choice of soup or salad

Hank's Famous Lobster Roll

Dessert

FOR ONLY $20

ALSO:

Buy a $100 certificate...

Receive a $20 certificate FREE!

The perfect last minute Holiday Gift!

Hank's Old Town location ONLY

Hank's Oyster Bar

1026 King St.

Alexandria, VA 22314

703-739-HANK (4265)

The lobster roll I had at the Old Town location two weeks ago had way too much celery (having neither lived nor spent anytime on the New England coast I will not get into whether this is or is not a filler - but I don't really care for celery) and the lobster meat had been cooked a bit too long.

Ate at Hank's on thursday and overall enjoyed it. Ordered:

Taylor bay scallops with shizo and citrus - excellent! you must order this. The scallops were really sweet and the citrus wasn't annoying.

Caesar Salad with white anchovies - the salad was good but they forgot to add the anchovies and after asking a few times for the anchovies, they arrived (not the best, but decent)

Manila clams with greens ham and potatoes - decent dish, but it came without potatoes, when we asked server mentioned they had run out, which was strange since it wasn't mentioned when i ordered it. It may sound odd, but I probably would not have ordered this dish if it didnt have potatoes, i would have gone with fried oysters or clams.

I was a bit surprised to see everything on the check: the late anchovies and the full cost of the clams. In fairness i ate it all and i did not complain, although it was the first time i've left 18% tip pre tax in a loooooooooong time (I know to many people that is a standard tip, I usually tip 20% post tax at least - its the problem with being married into the business).

The fried chicken at Commonwealth's sister restaurant, Hank's, is back on the menu on Sunday nights. Though I haven't had it since they took it off the menu in the fall, the plate they put out then came with three pieces of chicken and two you-pick-'em sides -- tasty and a great deal. No scotch eggs though.

Mr. MV and I had a lovely dinner at Hank's (Old Town) last night. Wednesday's Meat and Two has changed from chicken schnitzel to a choice of duck breast or prime rib. Both were excellent, as was our usual app of the calamari and popcorn shrimp. Hank's was a bit empty throughout our meal, but I'm hoping that was more due to the rain than the downwardly trending economy.

KCBrad here. I only get to DC about once a year and the original Hank's is one restaurant that is always on my list. I usually go with oysters and then a fish entree, but this time around I want something different. What do you recommend?

KCBrad here. I only get to DC about once a year and the original Hank's is one restaurant that is always on my list. I usually go with oysters and then a fish entree, but this time around I want something different. What do you recommend?

I would recommend that you check out their daily "meat and two specials" on the website-a good deal generally. Oh, the popcorn shrimp/calamari with remaloude is very good.

Another enjoyable dinner at Hank's last night. As usual, the staff is very friendly. I had the meat and two which on Thursday was a porkchop with a fig-balsamic? sauce. Perfectly cooked and juicy. My sides were collards and mac and cheese. The collards were perfect al dente and had a bit of a pucker from vinegar. The mac and cheese was plentiful and topped with bread crumbs. I love having Hank's in Old Town.

The only bummer was that I couln't talk Mr. MV into sharing a fried Snickers bar at Eammon's after dinner :rolleyes::huh:

Can't wait to try it

any recent visits to the 17th street location?

I was there last week, and I think it's the best restaurant on or around 17th St... that you can walk out of for under, oh, $65 a person. Clearly, you can get out of Hank's for much less than that.

The oysters are fresh and varied, the entree standards (lobster roll, fried seafood, etc) are reliably excellent, the specials deliver more refined presentations and exotic ingredients (I'm a sucker for the pork belly), and the "meat and two plate" remains an oversize, delicious plate of food for under $20.

The brunch is good, too! The hangtown fry (a thin omelette over a bed of fried oysters) is a favorite.

Yes, clearly, I'm in the tank for this place. Check it out!

I'm bumping this thread. Trying to decide between Hank's (Q. Street) and Tackle Box for a weekend lunch (I guess that'd be brunch). Why these two? Convenience. And because I have a yen for a lobster roll.

Might want to check the hours for Hank's for reference. Not sure if their "brunch" menu is that different from the standard menu.

Regardless, I enjoyed an early dinner at Hank's DC location this past Sunday. Breezy, open air environment coupled with astoundingly fresh seafood and good service. I enjoyed the fried Ipswich clams followed by the rainbow trout. Companion enjoyed the hearty, savory meatloaf daily special, preceded by the mussels. Exceptional flavor and freshness on all fronts, plus served at the right temperature and deftly seasoned.

Another + for Hank's: Dinner on Sunday happened to follow a movie screening about sustainable agriculture. I asked our friendly server about the eco-friendly practices at the restaurant. She noted the extensive recycling program, compostable takeout containers, and other actions deemed critically important by the owner. I also noticed the selections on the menu were for the most part on the green side of the sustainable fish scorecard.

Might want to check the hours for Hank's for reference. Not sure if their "brunch" menu is that different from the standard menu.

Regardless, I enjoyed an early dinner at Hank's DC location this past Sunday. Breezy, open air environment coupled with astoundingly fresh seafood and good service. I enjoyed the fried Ipswich clams followed by the rainbow trout. Companion enjoyed the hearty, savory meatloaf daily special, preceded by the mussels. Exceptional flavor and freshness on all fronts, plus served at the right temperature and deftly seasoned.

Another + for Hank's: Dinner on Sunday happened to follow a movie screening about sustainable agriculture. I asked our friendly server about the eco-friendly practices at the restaurant. She noted the extensive recycling program, compostable takeout containers, and other actions deemed critically important by the owner. I also noticed the selections on the menu were for the most part on the green side of the sustainable fish scorecard.

Yes, I already checked and they do have a brunch menu. But I only want the lobster roll, which is on the brunch menu.

Is the one at Q. Street "breezy, open-air environment," or is that the one in Old Town?

Yes, I already checked and they do have a brunch menu. But I only want the lobster roll, which is on the brunch menu.

Is the one at Q. Street "breezy, open-air environment," or is that the one in Old Town?

Q Street is where I was on Sunday. The Old Town location does not have the same sidewalk seating, open-window environment possibilities.

(sunday was a gorgeous day)

(your meteorological mileage may vary)

I was at the original location near Dupont on a recent Saturday for brunch, drawn by a sudden yen for a lobster roll.

The place is cute; a Georgetown-on-Cape Cod outfit with exposed brick walls and slick, blond wood floors. I bet the servers here all have masters degrees.

One friend asked for a pint of Tröegs “Troegenator” and a “Lobster Bisque” ($7), neither of which I tasted. The bisque looked thin, which was her main complaint. It came with a baggie of oyster crackers.

My other friend ordered the “Housemade Corned Beef and Potato Hash” ($13), which I also didn’t try. It looked good enough, heavy on the meaty dices of corned beef and light on the potatoes. The egg seemed nicely poached, the yolk was runny.

I did, however, try one of my friend's “Fried Oysters” ($11), which were plump, with a thin, flaky, and impossibly light crust. Heaped into a shallow bowl, the ones on the bottom went soggy, the crust, greasy. The accompanying dip, a creamy hybrid of tartar and remoulade, was delicious.

My “Lobster Roll” was pretty good – a well-buttered and toasted bun stuffed with a generous portion of lightly dressed lobster salad (tiny bits of celery – and mayonnaise, of course – being the only company for the lobster). The lobster had been nicely diced – there’s nothing worse than ill-chopped chunks still strung together, one bite pulling out the entire filling at once. Sadly, the accompanying tangle of fries were limp, though well-seasoned.

But I found consolation in a delicious side order of “Coleslaw,” which was more sweet than tart ($5). And the “Marinated Beets,” which were tender and clean-tasting, were also very good.

Dessert? Not that we were looking to indulge, but we couldn’t have even if we wanted to. There are no desserts at brunch (I’m not even sure they offer dessert at weekday lunch or at dinner). But a little ramekin of dark chocolate nuggets – replacing the Goldfish – arrived with the bill. It was just the sweet cap that we three were quietly craving.

Service was efficient and friendly, surprisingly attentive for a casual establishment.

Although we beat the “rush,” I’ve been warned that this place can fill up quickly. They don’t take reservations, but they do accept 20-minute call-ahead seating requests. I called ahead, but arrived at a half-empty restaurant. By the time we left, all the tables were full. Had it been twenty-degrees warmer, you would have found us out on their patio.

You can find the link to the photos and more on my blog.

Mr. MV and I had dinner at Hank's, OT last night, and I'm happy to say, the food is still wonderful. We shared the calamari and shrimp app, which is fried and comes with a remoulade sauce.

I had the lobster roll for the first time-it's packed with lobster, and the roll was great.

Glad Hank's is nearby!

Wow the last review on this place was over 3 years ago. Has any one been lately for happy hour? Doesn't it offer anything else than $1 oysters?

Am looking to get my oyster fix and was considering happy hours at the following:

Hank's in alexandria

Old Ebitt's Grill

Black Salt

Would appreciate anything input.

Had nice to great oysters at a late night HH recently. The funny thing is we had 6 kinds, three on HH and 3 not and the ranking of favorites did not correlate to price. Superb lobster roll, decent onion rings, good beers, great bartender at the tiny bar.

Wow the last review on this place was over 3 years ago. Has any one been lately for happy hour? Doesn't it offer anything else than $1 oysters?

Am looking to get my oyster fix and was considering happy hours at the following:

Hank's in alexandria

Old Ebitt's Grill

Black Salt

Would appreciate anything input.

I hit the Old Town location every few weeks. It's easy to access from where I'm usually zipping around, and other local options can't beat the oyster fix, consistently delicious veggie sides, eco-friendlier practices, and progressively more interesting brews. Last weekend, I tried Rogue's Chipotle Ale, an oddly smart and smoky complement to my briny bivalves. I've not had a bad batch of anything from Hank's Old Town. Have had a few indifferent/listless servers*, but never experienced major service hiccups.

I am usually at Hank's Old Town during weird/off-peak times (well ahead of the dinner rush or an early weekend lunch), so cannot speak to the happy hour deals. For the Alexandria location, if the two tables near the front window are taken, don't hesitate to ask about seating in the often-forgotten back area. I find it more spacious and less frantic than the front.

A major advantage to Hank's Old Town for happy hour is, of course, the myriad options in walking distance for post-partaking pandemonium. You might want to look at my member title, however, before taking that tip into consideration**.

*not everyone's default setting needs to be happy mcfunster (indifferent works for some diners)

**ymmv (your mischief may vary)

On the way to the cork wine store where we were picking up some triple zero, among other bottles, decided it was a good time to see what’s going on at hank’s oyster bar these days, since they had just opened for the evening and there were plenty of empty tables inside, which’s doesn’t always seem to be the case. This place has always been about raw oysters ($2 a pop), we ordered two each of six and there were discernible differences among them, in flavor, size and even some texture – good enough to make a walrus and a carpenter out of ourselves. While I was happy to have tried one, I wouldn’t make a habit of olde salts, raised in a bay near Chincoteague, that are almost twice as salty as your typical Chesapeake oyster, having grown up fast on the seawater. There was nothing squishy or watery about this oyster, it was the salt I couldn’t get through, the ocean assuming its identity, numbing me from a true taste. If they had been handing out beauty prizes on this platter, and oysters do have a definite allure, I am afraid that the olde salt was lacking in the grace that would have won others on the plate the crown. If I could do it all over again, I would apply some of hank’s outstanding, double-horseradish cocktail sauce, just for the chance to have some. This is a fine condiment and it is best eaten here with a shrimp as your utensil. Considering the delicacy of oysters, even the odd horsey specimens that do pop up in local waters, I usually even avoid the mignonette sauce. A few squeezes of lemon is enough. Sweet and plump, small and juicy, the blue pool, plucked from the shores of Washington by hama hama, all around came closest to the way I like my oysters. The old plantation, named for the creek in which it is raised near Cape Charles on the Eastern Shore, is as pure an oyster as I can remember from these parts, soft and clean. Your first impression is one of reticence, but as it warms in your mouth, you catch the roundness of the mild flavor and the salt. If it weren’t as small as it is, the Olympia oyster, also from Washington, might come off as a little loud. It’s packed with flavor and complexities that aren’t easy to work out. For a perfect evening at hank’s, we should have ordered another round, making tasting notes and comparing them, and then maybe taken a stab at a third round, seeing how far we could go before we started losing interest in the oysters, feeling they had nothing more to say that night. This can be accompanied by several rounds of warm troeg’s sunshine pilsner on draft to wash your oysters down with a splash of bitterness.

I can remember when Jamie leeds was a rising star, but you don’t hear as much about what she is cooking these days. Well fried Ipswich clams ($26) are hit and miss, bursting with juice when they are good and tough with chewy necks when they are not. A mountain of decent fries with not too much old bay and a celery seed-accented slaw assure that you won’t go home hungry, even though there is still no dessert after all these years, just the generous chunks of hard dark chocolate that I am never able, or willing, to finish off. A new York strip steak ($25) isn’t awful, but it’s hardly up to the standards of 15ria in its prime and contains more gristle than you would want to chew on. Sides of onion rings and mac and cheese are failures, the former pale and undercooked, the latter pale and not cooked long enough as well, with discordant sour and bitter undertones in the cheese.

There’s something to be said for a restaurant that leaves its front door open at the end of a hot day, and they might as well because there is a fairly steady stream of servers coming and going from the many customers who are able to comfortably brave the high temperature to dine alfresco. You can feel the cold conditioned air moving out and the warm air drawn in. You are inside but there is the intrusion of the outdoors. You aren’t wilting, but it feels more like summer here than most places you go to eat.

Was at the Old Town location for brunch Sunday and had really wonderful nice fresh shrimp in a Po Boy. I mean notably fresh and good shrimp. And I like the thin fries with Old Bay, of course I love Old Bay on about anything. I also had three very fresh and briny Rappahanock oysters which I thoroughly enjoyed. And can I just say chunks of chocolate at the end of a meal are always a good thing. Anyway was a nice meal, as usual. Hank's is always a place that seems very consistent to me and I like that.

Had a really wonderful meal here last night. For those of you that aren't familiar w/ ScoutMob. It is an email based or smartphone app based coupon system. No purchase necessary, just show the coupon to the waiter/waitress and you shall receive the discount. Anyways, Hanks Old Town has $15 off right now, which is a nice discount considering it is free. It is good until May I beileive. In Old Town right now, Paradisio, and Flying Fish also have coupons going.

ANYWAYS, on to the food. We started with 6 of the largest oysters I have ever seen. They were Malpeque I believe. Very briny and tasy, and huge.

It was Taco Tuesday, so I opted for the Talapia tacos. Really wonderful crunchy tacos with very ripe avocado, a nice pico and some crema or sourcream. Twas a really nice meal.

Future wife had a soy glazed sable fish. Super flavorful dish, she really enjoyed it. The sides were the stars though. Roasted cauiflower and roasted sunchokes. Beautifully starchy, burnt, crisp, salty goodness. Nice large portions too for $5.

Had a very mediocre assortment of small plates here last night. Dozen oysters on the half shell: mix of Washington State and California oysters, nothing special, and many not properly shucked (got bits of shell in my mouth). Popcorn shrimp and calamari: shrimp were flavorless, and the calamari had an off-putting after-taste (something like raw flour from the batter?). Shad roe: somewhat overcooked, and therefore a bit gritty. A shame. Steamed manila clams and bacon: the bacon completely overwhelmed the taste of the clams -- the clams could have been anything. Fried ipswich clams: best dish of the night, comparable in preparation and flavor to those at Freddy's.

The restaurant appeared to be very much "a scene," with other priorities than the sourcing of quality ingredients and their careful preparation. Basically a waste of $100 for two people. Will not return.

Edited to add: This was the DC location.

A quick shout out to the Old Town location.

*On a busy Friday night in the small place, we encountered a 35-minute wait.

*We walked up a few blocks to Le Tastevin, which recently hit it’s one year anniversary. Two doors away from Pacers running store, and across from La Fromagerie, this is a gem of a wine store. Tastings most nights of the week, with exceptionally passionate and knowledgeable staff offering interesting selections, many in the under $15 range. Make sure to treat yourself to a caramel at the register, an upscale checkout line candy treat for the shopping cart kid in you.

*We returned to Hank’s for our seating, right in line with their projected wait time. Plus, we received a seat in the back room, a bit less noisy than the front, score!

*The kitchen will happily split a salad into two portion plates, an ideal starter for a rich meal. Avocado and baby romaine hearts with cilantro dressing ($12) provided gorgeous plating and a palate-opening, crunchy kickoff, with a surprising cayenne kick in the dressing. Delicious.

*We next shared a round of fried oysters ($11). Bucking tradition, I always request a second condiment with fried oysters at Hank’s--the lemon garlic vinaigrette which accompanies any raw oysters. I dunk each fried oyster into the vinaigrette first, then slightly into the creamy dressing, and try not to hit the ceiling with the delightful punch of flavor and pure briny intensity. Last night’s batch was perfectly fried, delightfully fresh, another huge score.

*We then shared the oyster mushroom risotto ($22) and cauliflower ($6). Like many here, I usually order any risotto with much trepidation. In a town where this dish is frequently undercooked or overcooked, awkwardly seasoned or blandly presented, I was nervous, never having ordered it at Hank’s before. But the quality of ingredients, masterful preparation, and attractive plating shone through, one of the best dishes I’ve had over the past several months. The shock of caramelized color on the pale cauliflower, complemented with the crunchy nip of fried onion and garlic, this was a dream accompaniment to each bite of Arborio. We were sharing, and it turned into a fork fight (I won!).

*Hank’s sets each diner up for success with smart and accessible beverage selections. Mine was a Muscadet, his an IPA, each a harmonious accompaniment to this flavor parade. Service, as always, prompt, and unobtrusive.

Any venue can have a bad night, and any venue can have a top-of-their-game night. Last night was a clear win.