Buying lots of seconds Tomatoes at the Mt. P Farmer's Market

Rieux

I recently got a large pressure canner, and want to try my hand at canning 20-30 lbs of tomatoes.  I figure now is a good time to buy them, and would be happy to get seconds quality as I am going to peel them and store them.  I thought I could try to pick them up at my local farmer's market.  Has anyone ever done this?  How do I go about it?  Contact the farmers in advance and put in an order?  What should I expect to pay?

Lots of questions...

I've done seconds for apples and peaches. At least a few farmers will have seconds at the market in a separate box off to the side or by the truck. I noticed a few vendors were selling tomato seconds last Saturday at the Falls Church farmers market. They still want money for them, but its discounted. Varies per farmer I suppose. You don't need to call ahead unless you want to buy a couple boxes. Its prime season now.

Seems to be a good year for tomatoes, relative to last summer at least. My CSA is full of tomatoes and the FC farmers market was overflowing with red fruit this past Saturday.

Just ask the producer if they sell bulk/ bulk seconds and at what price. They may have bulk on hand or may tell  you when they expect to sell bulk. Just ask around.

I got bulk from Garner's at the 14th + U market for a couple years and last year, from a farmer at the West End Alexandria market.

Tomatoes have been excellent this year.

Heinz at Next Step at Dupont Market has boxes of seconds... both, red and heirloom.  I can't quote my price since I buy 10 at a time.  Zach at Tree & Leaf should have a lot.  Garden's Gourmet across from Toigo also is a good source.  RIchfiled at Mt P has both red and Heirloom seconds.