The Italian Store, Sandwiches, Pizza, Groceries, and Vino - with Two Locations in Arlington

Oftentimes when I go to the Italian Store, I pick up a few of their ready-made meals like chicken parm and ravioli. The sauce on their prepared foods is really good and I have never looked to see if they sell just the sauce. Does anyone know if they do? I might have to make a trip.

Oftentimes when I go to the Italian Store, I pick up a few of their ready-made meals like chicken parm and ravioli. The sauce on their prepared foods is really good and I have never looked to see if they sell just the sauce. Does anyone know if they do? I might have to make a trip.

They do sell just sauce in the refrigerator cases, although I have noticed that it is not always stocked.

http://italianstore.com/extras.html

I have never bought just the sauce so I cannot confirm if it is the same as in their ready-made meals, but it would stand to reason. I agree that the sauce in the meals is quite good.

I went today and saw that they do sell several kinds of sauce in the refrigerated section. I didn't buy any, though, just picked up a pizza and some chicken parm.

I love the pizza at the Italian Store. I am sure I have posted about it somewhere upthread and forgotten about it. The dough has so much flavor and I really love that they use oregano.

The pre-made meals are very good indeed. And extremely handy for last minute dinner guests when you are in a pinch. Although, almost every meal I have tried has been heavy on the salt. I am not a big fan of salt, so it was a bit overpowering but not horrible. My dining mates have had no complaints though.

Someone stole my pizza at the Italian Store today!!

I ordered a pie and was told it would be ready in 25 minutes. Waited a while, loaded the baby into the car and actually ended up getting there close to an hour after ordering. It was PACKED like I have never seen before (not a shocker considering the Skins game). Got to the front of the line and was told it would be another ten minutes until my pizza was ready. Fine, went outside with my little girl, sat at a table and we waved "bye bye" to all of the cars driving by.

Ten minutes passed, went back inside to ask for my pizza and the lady behind the counter's face fell. She said she called my name and someone came up, took my pizza and walked out the door! I was flabbergasted! I truly could not believe that someone would take MY pizza without paying for it.

I ended up getting another pizza ten minutes later, they were very apologetic, but I had to post because if the pizza thief is lurking out there, you should be ASHAMED!

I miss my sandwiches at the Italian Store so much. Chicago may have significantly better pizza, and it may have some killer butchers, but I still dream about my sandwiches at The Italian Store.

Chicago has significantly better sandwiches/deli meat as well. Go to Jerry's, Manny's, Perry's, or just go to Hot Doug's and get some exotic meat on a sub roll with duck fat fries on the side. All of these places offer better sandwiches than anything I have ever gotten at the Italian Store.

Chicago has significantly better sandwiches/deli meat as well. Go to Jerry's, Manny's, Perry's, or just go to Hot Doug's and get some exotic meat on a sub roll with duck fat fries on the side. All of these places offer better sandwiches than anything I have ever gotten at the Italian Store.
This is truly irrational, one could say that I have much better sandwiches at Central than any of the places mentioned, but that is really not the point, Manny's and Perry's are Jewish style deli's not similar to what the Italian Store is trying to be, and Hot Doug's is fun and very good, but really not even in the same category of place. I know that everyplace in Chicago is better than an equivilant restaurant in Washington, we are constantly treated to such treatises by the New York/Chicago/San Francisco transplants. So be it.

This is truly irrational, one could say that I have much better sandwiches at Central than any of the places mentioned, but that is really not the point, Manny's and Perry's are Jewish style deli's not similar to what the Italian Store is trying to be, and Hot Doug's is fun and very good, but really not even in the same category of place. I know that everyplace in Chicago is better than an equivilant restaurant in Washington, we are constantly treated to such treatises by the New York/Chicago/San Francisco transplants. So be it.

Well said.

I am not a transplant from any of the places you listed and have probably spent less time in Chicago than you or jpschust. I am just a firm believer that the Italian Store benefits from the fact that you cannot get a good Italian sub in the area and their average version is the closest people can get to what they have tasted in Philly, Jersey, NYC, etc. I agree with you that it is a matter of opinion, but my opinion is that getting a sandwich on a soft roll that tastes no better than what comes out of the Harris Teeter bakery with prosciutto so dry that upon biting into it the whole slice of meat comes out of the sandwich because I could not tear cleanly through it is not something I will miss when I move to a different area of the country. To each his own, though.

Also, what category are you talking about? I was just talking about good sandwiches/delis in general, but I'm assuming that you are breaking it down even further to Italian-style subs. If that is the case, I would suggest Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Company. Like I mentioned, I haven't spent a great deal of time in Chicago so I have not tried a lot of Italian delis there, but I would have to think that in a city with so many Italian food stores and restaurants that there would be plenty of other options. I may be wrong about that, though.

I am not a transplant from any of the places you listed and have probably spent less time in Chicago than you or jpschust. I am just a firm believer that the Italian Store benefits from the fact that you cannot get a good Italian sub in the area and their average version is the closest people can get to what they have tasted in Philly, Jersey, NYC, etc. I agree with you that it is a matter of opinion, but my opinion is that getting a sandwich on a soft roll that tastes no better than what comes out of the Harris Teeter bakery with prosciutto so dry that upon biting into it the whole slice of meat comes out of the sandwich because I could not tear cleanly through it is not something I will miss when I move to a different area of the country. To each his own, though.

Also, what category are you talking about? I was just talking about good sandwiches/delis in general, but I'm assuming that you are breaking it down even further to Italian-style subs. If that is the case, I would suggest Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Company. Like I mentioned, I haven't spent a great deal of time in Chicago so I have not tried a lot of Italian delis there, but I would have to think that in a city with so many Italian food stores and restaurants that there would be plenty of other options. I may be wrong about that, though.

Whatever. You posted that jpschust can get a better sandwich in Chicago. Whoopee! The guy just simply posted that he misses the sandwiches at the Italian Store. Isn't that OK to say? My mother's spaghetti may not be the best in the world (or just on her street) but I miss it sometimes. People tend to get nostalgic about foods that make them happy. Is that wrong? Do we need someone telling us where to go to find "better"? I doubt it.

I'd miss the Italian Store hoagies, I mean subs if I moved away. I think they are very much like Philly hoagies which is why I love them so. My fave is the Philly on a hard roll.

Mr. MV is picking up a pie on his way home tonight :angry: I'll tell him to keep a sharp eye on it! B)

[This thread has been an interesting course in slowly, innocently, slipping into the weeds, through the fault of nobody except me, the moderator who didn't keep an eye on it. Look!

Yesterday, 8:40 PM - TinDC posted a perfectly normal, fine post.

Yesterday, 10:28 PM - jpschust posted a reminiscence about The Italian Store. (Missing info: he just moved to Chicago, and was simply expressing that he misses this place).

Today, 10:18 AM - DPop was pointing out to jpschust that there are other good items in Chicago as well (this is the point at which I should have probably split the post into the Chicago thread in The Intrepid Traveler forum, although not a big deal either way).

Today, 10:42 AM - Sthitch misinterpreted DPop's post as being an anti-DC slam (at least that's the way I read it). He goes on the attack.

Today, 10:54 AM - shaggy agrees with Sthitch, fueling the fire.

Today, 11:03 AM - DPop goes on the defensive.

Today, 5:14 PM - shaggy counters.

Today, 5:22 PM - monavano chimes in with a softening post.

This is why moderating this website requires eternal vigilance. I don't think anyone did anything particularly wrong here, it's just that some things appeared to have been misinterpreted, people started getting pissy, and this could have easily spiraled into talk of Hitler.

Peace out dudes,

Rocks.]

Last Sunday, with some road closures coming out of DC, we wound up driving too close to The Italian Store on our way home NOT to stop! At a little after 11am, we quickly grabbed some ready-made Milano subs (terrific on a soft roll) and frozen pizza dough. I've used TIS pizza dough and really enjoyed it. It makes a good crust-and I got 2-10 inch pizzas from one ball. I paid particular attention to the price because I expected it to have risen quite a bit because of rising food prices. It was $1.99, which I thought was a good deal.

I was just in last week for lunch and noticed the pre-made subs on the counter. Have they always been there?? Did the bread hold up?

Hi Shaggy

I think that the pre-made subs have been there for a while. I learned of them a while ago and it was an "a-ha" moment. The Milano is quite good and I have no problem getting that as my default choice if I'm in a hurry or the crowd is huge. I used to order the hard roll if I thought I wouldn't be eating the sub right away-but the soft roll is far better for a sub and held up just fine. It was a bit soggy the next day when I finished mine up-but that's ok by me!

Someone stole my pizza at the Italian Store today!!

I truly could not believe that someone would take MY pizza without paying for it.

... if the pizza thief is lurking out there, you should be ASHAMED!

But aren't the best tasting pizzas the stolen ones??

oh, wait, that's watermelon.

never mind.

Yesterday I had a small Prosciuitto San Danielle and Bresaola sub on a hard roll with Provolone, shredded lettuce, slices of tomato, a little mayo, and a few shakes of oregano. These luxury meats cost a bit more (the sandwich was $8 and change), but they're worth the premium - this was a great lunch, The Italian Store at its finest.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Yesterday I had a small Prosciuitto San Danielle and Bresaola sub on a hard roll with Provolone, shredded lettuce, slices of tomato, a little mayo, and a few shakes of oregano. These luxury meats cost a bit more (the sandwich was $8 and change), but they're worth the premium - this was a great lunch, The Italian Store at its finest.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Mayo?? Please don't tell me that's how you dress your corned beef and pastrami too.........Please!

Mayo?? Please don't tell me that's how you dress your corned beef and pastrami too.........Please!

I'm sorry, Miss Manners, but I was in the mood for a light touch of MAYO - something faintly sweet and oily to achieve contrapuntal harmony with the salt in my meat.

They carry an impressive selection of Italian wines, some of which are difficult to find, almost all are reasonably priced. The grocery store items, especially several of the Umbrian and Ligurian olive oils and artisinal dry pastas (the non-De checco brands), are worth seeking out. I do not recommend their pre-made sauces or in-house biscotti.

I finally dug the car out and went to the Italian Store for some of their pre-made meals to warm up for dinner tonight. This is my comfort food. I spied a nice crusty ciabatta on the bread shelf behind the counter and had them throw it in the bag. It cost an eye-popping $6.99. Is it just me or is that a lot for a loaf of bread? Maybe I just need to get out more. It does look damned good, though.

Love the Italian Store, but noted price increases. We get their frozen veal cannelloni and they were up about $2 a box. Pignoli cookies were $24/lb B) We had to skip the subs as we had a fridge full of Chinese take out leftovers, so I'm not sure if the sandwiches were up in price.

Wine deals are still excellent.

MMMMMMM. Not only do I love, love, love the Napoli. I really like their blue cheese broccoli and tomato salad, it's one of my dairy cheats from time to time, the dressing isn't all thick, and it has a nice tang. I also like their catering, the chicken parmigiana is good, as are their meatballs. (Which are also good on subs) And I like their other cold salads. This is just an all around little gem.

Has anyone heard a rumor about a 2nd branch opening up in Westover in the current 7-11 spot at the end of the strip?

The rumor is floating around the owners of Westover shops, but the 7-11 recently remodeled, and apparently still has their lease - if anything happens, it may be awhile in the future. (This is second-hand information given to me by one of the merchants there.) That 7-11 has a disproportionate amount of parking for its size, however, and 75% of the parking lot (around the side) is being wasted.

Speaking of which, has anyone ever ventured up to Forest Inn? This must be one of the most unknown and hidden restaurants in all of Arlington.

7-11 rumor still runs. what's the latest Don?

You know what? I haven't thought about this in over a year now.

But I did get a *rockin* good large sub a couple weeks ago: Prosciutto, Coppa, Provolone, Lettuce, Tomato, Oil and Vinegar, and Oregano on a Soft Roll.

Always, always, always, call your order in advance here, and avoid the grab-n-go Milanos because they don't sit well.

I heard recently, admittedly third-hand from a friend who knows the owner of the Italian store, that they were indeed planning to take over the 7-11 spot in Westover. Timing was less certain but thought to be later this year when the 7-11's lease runs out. Fingers crossed as it would be great for that end of the shopping center but we'll see.

-Sean

I heard recently, admittedly third-hand from a friend who knows the owner of the Italian store, that they were indeed planning to take over the 7-11 spot in Westover. Timing was less certain but thought to be later this year when the 7-11's lease runs out. Fingers crossed as it would be great for that end of the shopping center but we'll see.

-Sean

This would *really* help Toby's in the same way that Zinga helped Backyard Barbecue - I'll bet their business has doubled since Zinga opened, even though one's initial instinct might be to think that a rival food establishment opening would hurt things. It would've also helped Arax Cafe, but it's too late. :(

Even though they're direct competitors, I'd guess that The Italian Store in Spout Run makes Burger Joint busier, although this one I'm not so sure about.

I was in there at 3 PM on a Monday and there were 20 people waiting - I wonder how many sandwiches they sell a day (more than any other non-fast-food restaurant in the DC area, perhaps).

May I add the obvious? On the "other" side away from the sandwich counter lies a nice selection of imported olive oils, pastas and wine.  I am not crazy about the pre-made frozen foods sold in the refrigerators but the Store has a better-than-average selection for locals who want a specific Ligurian olive oil or oddball Sicilian vino bianco.  You'll know if you go.

Vienna

Maybe confusing Italian Store with the Italian Gourmet?  Italian Gourmet was in the shopping center at Nutley and 123.  Not sure if it is still there.  Same type of place but almost positive not the same owners.  The Gourmet had awesome pepperoni rolls though.  That I definitely remember. 

Maybe confusing Italian Store with the Italian Gourmet?  Italian Gourmet was in the shopping center at Nutley and 123.  Not sure if it is still there.  Same type of place but almost positive not the same owners.  The Gourmet had awesome pepperoni rolls though.  That I definitely remember.   

I think this is correct.

This may be correct, but years ago I am sure the Italian Store take out menu listed two locations - the one in Spout Run and somewhere out in Fairfax.  I distinctly recall recommending this place to folks with the caveat that I had never been to the Fairfax location, but that if was anything like the Spout Run store it would be worth the visit.  If not Vienna, then where?