monavano

The Italian Store, Sandwiches, Pizza, Groceries, and Vino - with Two Locations in Arlington

Last week Hubby did a good deed and brought home subs from the Italian Store one night I had meetings.  He either got me one from the bin, or he has no idea which sandwich I normally order despite ALWAYS ordering the Napoli.  But whatever it was, he is partial to the Capri so maybe that was it, it was good, it seemed stuffed to the gills with meat.  I warmed up the extra half in the oven the next day for lunch and had it toasty which was good too.

• Like 1

Tom Sietsema was pimping the muffaletta at the Italian Store.  Has anyone had them from the Italian Store and Central Grocery?  Before I burn gas and rubber to Arlington, I just want to make sure the muffaletta compares favorably to the original.

I found an image online.

Muffaletta.jpg

That looks like a pretty good facsimile. I'll have to bypass the usual at Italian Store and give it a try. My brother and I found years ago that a Central Grocery muff is the perfect food for a football game. One muff quarter per football quarter.

The Italian Store has only been offering a limited menu so I’d call beforehand to ask if they’re offering the muffuletta when you want to go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Tom Sietsema was pimping the muffaletta at the Italian Store.  Has anyone had them from the Italian Store and Central Grocery?  Before I burn gas and rubber to Arlington, I just want to make sure the muffaletta compares favorably to the original.

48 minutes ago, Bob Wells said:

That looks like a pretty good facsimile. I'll have to bypass the usual at Italian Store and give it a try. My brother and I found years ago that a Central Grocery muff is the perfect food for a football game. One muff quarter per football quarter.

I've had muffalettas from both Central Grocery and The Italian Store, and after having the one from Central Grocery, I've never again gotten one from The Italian Store.

I can only imagine how much sodium is in Central Grocery's version, but The Italian Store's comes across as having double the salt.

Central Grocery ships their muffalettas, btw.

I love (and almost always get) the Roma, extra sweet and hot peppers, at the Italian Store.  I once tried the muffaletta, and while I ate it, I kept wishing it was the Roma (I too am spoiled by Central Grocery on the muffaletta). 

3 hours ago, captcourt said:

I love (and almost always get) the Roma, extra sweet and hot peppers, at the Italian Store.  I once tried the muffaletta, and while I ate it, I kept wishing it was the Roma (I too am spoiled by Central Grocery on the muffaletta). 

Yep, the Roma is my sandwich as well.

I haven't had a sandwich here in a couple of years, and I've waffled about hard vs. soft rolls in the past (the hard is too hard, and the soft is too soft (actually that isn't accurate: The rolls in general are wildly unexciting)).

• Like 2

On 6/12/2020 at 5:25 PM, DonRocks said:

Yep, the Roma is my sandwich as well.

I haven't had a sandwich here in a couple of years, and I've waffled about hard vs. soft rolls in the past (the hard is too hard, and the soft is too soft (actually that isn't accurate: The rolls in general are wildly unexciting)).

I've always been a hard roll kind of girl; the soft is definitely too soft.  At some point, the hard rolls became more crumbly than chewy.

What's your go-to sub these days?  (I realize that will now be OT in the Italian Store thread...)

4 hours ago, captcourt said:

What's your go-to sub these days?  (I realize that will now be OT in the Italian Store thread...)

Now that you've mentioned it, I don't think I've had a sub (a sub-proper) in all of 2020. I've had plenty of sandwiches, but no subs that I can remember.

• Like 1

I picked up a soft roll sandwich last week anddidn't like the bread much.  Is the hard roll better?

No. It's harder (and can absorb vinegar-and-oil more), but there's very little difference other than outer-layer texture, based on what I can discern. 

These are not great sandwiches. They're "okay," and that's based on a very low standard - I see nothing about them (bread, meat, cheese, or toppings) that's anything beyond mediocre.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DonRocks said:

These are not great sandwiches. They're "okay," and that's based on a very low standard - I see nothing about them (bread, meat, cheese, or toppings) that's anything beyond mediocre.

I thought these are hailed as the best in the area but I agree with you that they're just okay.  I like Santini's better but they don't give you a lot of meat.  So where in NoVa is there a good Italian sub/hoagie?  

• Like 1

I thought these are hailed as the best in the area but I agree with you that they're just okay.  I like Santini's better but they don't give you a lot of meat.  So where in NoVa is there a good Italian sub/hoagie?  

I'm going to take incoming, but I have had enjoyable Italian subs on very good soft sub rolls from Bozzelli's in Springfield. The Metro is their classic Italian, and they just brought back their Luton Jet, which is a Man vs. Food gut bomb of a sub. This is a family-run business that has been operating since 1978, so I will support them as long as I'm in this area.

4 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Santini's with double meat. :)

Do try a Funky Cuban at Market2Market (verification). I wouldn't drive there from Tysons, but if you ever find yourself in Del Ray? Sure.

The Muff-a-Lotta at Bayou Bakery is okay if you're in the Courthouse area - this place got off to a roaring first week (with perhaps more hype than any cafe that has ever opened in the DMV (David Guas is married to a publicist)), but the quality dropped off very quickly, and to the best of my knowledge, has never recovered.

Is Marshall considered NoVa? If so, get out to Red Truck Bakery. To the best of my knowledge, it has the best cakes in the DC area (their Meyer Lemon Cake is as good as any cake I've ever had), and everything else here is top-notch (I would say "bordering on world-class") also. Call and order some wine from Glen Manor Vineyards, and pick up some baked goods on the way home (*).

As long as I'm going off-topic, I hope everyone here knows about Livin the Pie Life on N. Glebe Road near Lee Highway? I have it rated in the Dining Guide as the #1 "restaurant" in North Arlington. It's carryout only, and most things are done here in the form of a pie - I highly recommend getting a Chicken Pot Pie for your order (assuming you like Chicken Pot Pie).

Incidentally, I went to Seylou for lunch yesterday - they're open and fantastic (I'm dying to pre-order some Cannelés here, but still haven't). Walk-ins can order off a little list sitting on a table at the front door, and they'll bring your food out to you.

(*)IMG_9418.JPG <--- As good as you think this cake looks, it's even better (and it lasts).

• Like 4