Sign in to follow this  
mdt

Vernick Food & Drink, Chef-Owner Gregory Vernick's Terrific Cuisine on S. 21st. and Walnut Street in Rittenhouse Square

On 6/16/2013 at 7:44 PM, Choirgirl21 said:

If you'd never been to Philly and only had one night there for a nice dinner, where would you go?

Same question for best cheesesteak (consensus seems to be Tony Luke's), pre or post dinner cocktails, anything else can't miss including tourist activities?

Vernick Food & Drink

• Like 1

We ate at Vernick on our one dinner out during a trip to Philadelphia.

Everything we had was excellent. 2 of us shared a bunch of small plates and toasts. Particularly notable

Romaine w figs

Brussels w ancho caramel

Tagliatelle w duck

Beet soup amuse bouche

Had a very good (and expensive, thanks to the wide array of dishes we tried) dinner here.  Some of the creativity and blending of inspirations evoked aspects of Rose's Luxury, as did the high level of quality control and overall deliciousness.  Favorites included the sea urchin, yogurt, and shirred egg dish (where they cleverly used sherry and shrimp oil in the egg to accentuate the sea urchin flavor); chili-glazed octopus; black pepper pappardelle with lamb shoulder ragu and fava; and the crispy potatoes/shishito peppers.

Had an excellent meal at Vernick Food & Drink last night on my way out of town. It was the best meal I had in Philly this weekend (and probably the best I've had in all of my trips to Philly).

Everything we had was thoughtful, seasonal and very delicious. It was not overwrought or over-thought.

Just for comparison's sake, I would say it reminded me of Mintwood Place or the old Palena Cafe (when you could order off both menus); but with more polished service and slightly younger/hipper atmosphere.

Just really solid cooking, classic flavors (with a twist or two) and great execution all around.

Ordered:

Two Toasts (Beef tartare and Spinach/Fontina)

Asparagus, Romesco, Crispy Egg

Pea Ravioli with Rabbit Ragu

Date Cake with Coconut Ice Cream, Orange and Cardamom

And petite brownie a la mode ($3.....who sells $3 desserts?!?)

No misses. Will be back. And will recommend enthusiastically.

Liked but didn't totally love our second visit here.  I think they changed the sea urchin and shrimp flavored egg prep from our last visit but it's quite good.  I would prioritize High Street over Vernick on a future trip.

"Early look at Vernick Coffee Bar at new Comcast tower" , Michael Klein, The Inquirer, 9-25-18 

I have been following the development of the the coffee bar that is  soon to open to the public on Oct 19th. Employees of Comcast that are employed in the tower exclusively, have access to the bar currently, prior to their opening to the public. Lucky ducks. Later this year, according the article, Vernick Fish is scheduled to open in Spring of 2019, along with the opening of the Four Seasons as well.  Vernick happens to be one of the more difficult reservations to secure, unless you want to dine at 10. 

Has anyone dined recently at the Vernick? If so what do you recommend? I may plan an outing in Philly to include both breakfast at Vernick Coffee, then a dinner later at Vernick.

On 10/10/2018 at 7:58 AM, curiouskitkatt said:

Has anyone dined recently at the Vernick? If so what do you recommend? I may plan an outing in Philly to include both breakfast at Vernick Coffee, then a dinner later at Vernick.

I had dinner at Vernick last weekend. Everything was fabulous, but the one dish I wouldn't miss is the sea scallop and black truffle butter toast.

• Thanks 1