Dining in Iowa

Tujague

A fun article about dining in Iowa. I used to love those fried pork tenderloin sandwiches when I was a kid. This piece should be Eric Ziebold bait.

And then there's this lovely paragraph about the much-maligned Iowa landscape: "But Iowa turned out to be the most pleasant and picturesque of the states I've driven through so far: It's not dead flat, at least not for long stretches; its gently sloping farmland reads like some sort of fantasy Americana: deep-green soy fields, wavy rows of corn (which I tried not to think of ending up as high fructose corn syrup), picturesque red barns and the occasional old could-be-haunted farmhouses."

Congratulations to Archie's Waeside, in tiny LeMars, Iowa, for their honor from the James Beard Foundation as a "Classic" American restaurant. I've only been there once, and I can tell you it ain't much to look at--a Midwestern supper club whose decor has seen better days--but the steaks are astoundingly good, and I hear that they have a remarkable wine list, if you know to ask for it.