Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

A slightly strange chili recipe (I guess it isn't that strange)- pretty much empty the fridge chili- onion and garlic, ground beef, kidney beans, celery, green pepper, serrano pepper, ground chili powder, garlic salt, pepper, cumin a little cinnamon, crushed and diced tomatoes, a little tomato paste and a little beef stock.

• Like 2

Pot roast with potatoes, carrot, onions, and garlic
Trader Joe's Italian style rosemary crackers

I started the pot roast on top of the stove in a dutch oven and then put it in the oven at 300-325 for several hours before turning the oven off while I went out for a couple hours. It stayed warm in the Le Creuset in the oven until dinner time. The braising liquid was red wine and beef stock and the flavors built up really nicely over all that time. The meat was delicious. Bread to sop up the gravy instead of crackers would have been better, but oh well.

• Like 1

Leftover lamb meatballs and potatoes with tahini sauce and pine nuts
Roasted chicken legs and wings*

Yesterday was just a weird day...

*We also had an impromptu stuffing with this. I had roasted the whole chicken over a sliced onion and scattered the last of some homemade croutons I had made under and around the bird. The long-cooked onions and bread broke down nicely (I basted a little during cooking) and made "stuffing."

Black bean soup  with sour cream and cilantro
House of Blues spinach - artichoke dip
Rosemary focaccia with Maldon sea salt flakes
Filet Mignon topped with baby arugula and Easter radish salad
Chocolate shortbread hearts

• Like 1

Chicken noodle soup
Toasted baguette slices
Leftover spinach-artichoke dip
Seared leftover filet mignon
Baked potatoes; sour cream; bacon; jarlsberg

I managed to reheat the steak without overcooking it, which was a win. It was rare enough that a really quick sear in a scorching hot cast iron grill pan got it heated without cooking it a whole lot more -- to medium-rare. We each left about half of our filet the first go-round, so I guess we could have just shared one.

The soup was the last of the chicken meat from a previously roasted chicken; broth from the carcass + a little left from a box of broth used for black bean soup; chopped carrot; onion and garlic powders; salt and pepper; and, broken vermicelli.

• Like 2

Manhattan clam chowder:  I made lobster stock from spiny lobster is that my neighbor caught.  It’s been in my freezer forever and I decided it was time to use it.  I had to reheat it, and strain it, as there was quite a bit of icky stuff at the bottom.  

The base of the soup was spicy turkey Italian sausage, onions, carrots, celery, and garlic.  After cooking this for a while to brown the sausage, I added the lobster stock, canned diced tomatoes, saffron bloomed in hot water, chopped potatoes,  coriander and lemon juice.  After it cooked for a while, I decided it needed more punch, and added some tomato paste and dry vermouth.  

When the potatoes were almost cooked, I added a 10 ounce package of lovely frozen clam meat that I bought at Wild Fork Foods (A chain that specializes in all manner of frozen proteins, from exotic game to ground beef. Their stuff is great)  and more lemon juice.  Finished it with parsley and some Tabasco. Enjoyed with a ficelle from a local bakery. 

• Like 1

Salad (baby spring mix and tomatoes)
Leftover lasagna roll-ups (filled with cheese and baked with marinara) plus new lasagna roll-ups, stuffed with spinach artichoke dip and baked with heavy cream and bread crumbs
Garlic bread

I made a one-pan chicken and lentils recipe from the Post last night, but I didn't have the right size pan. It called for a 9"x 13" metal roasting pan and my only metal roaster is bigger than that and deep. I had to decide between using metal in the wrong size or something else in the right size. I think using the bigger pan was a poor decision. I added chickpeas and spinach to the pan too to try to fill it up more. In the end, I don't think I really liked the recipe that much, though, so there's not much point in trying again with the correct size pan. I think it was the lentils I just didn't care for with this. Something similar using all chickpeas might be good, but I'm just not a fan of these one pan recipes that have you opening and closing the oven a bunch of times to add certain ingredients every X minutes.

• Like 1

Pizza!

We bought fresh dough and mozzarella from Vace, I had some leftover pasta sauce in the freezer, and I slow cooked some onion until they started to get a bit caramelized.  I'll have to say, we were pretty impressed with the Vace dough.  I left it on the kitchen counter for a couple of hours and it continued to ferment and expand.  We were able to make two medium sized pizzas.  I cranked the gas oven to 550 degrees, cooked them on heavy weight 1/4 sheet hotel pans for 10 minutes.  I probably could have pushed them to 12 minutes to toast the crust and mozz a little more.  Expect the pizza crust to come out a little more bread-y and soft rather than chewy and crisp.   But overall, great success.

PizzaVaceStyle.jpg

• Like 4

Mushroom soup, eggplant with black bean sauce and basil (I CANNOT get this dish to turn out like I imagine it, no matter what recipe I try. I'm about to give up and just eat it at restaurants. Anyone have tips? I don't expect the eggplant to turn out exactly right since I'm not deep-frying it, but the sauce is always so bland at home and so zippy yet comforting at Thai restaurants), stove-top mac-n-cheese, and banana bread. Tuesday is my home day and I always end up cooking whatever is hanging out in the fridge so they won't go bad.  Earlier this week the batch cooking included red beans and rice, orange-cranberry scones, and bourbon chicken.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sundae in the Park said:

eggplant with black bean sauce and basil (I CANNOT get this dish to turn out like I imagine it, no matter what recipe I try. I'm about to give up and just eat it at restaurants. Anyone have tips? I don't expect the eggplant to turn out exactly right since I'm not deep-frying it, but the sauce is always so bland at home and so zippy yet comforting at Thai restaurants),

Are you using Thai basil? If so, maybe add more. That does lend a much zestier flavor than the sweeter basil.

Last night was a baby spring mix salad with bacon, tomatoes, cucumber, and ranch; a half batch of Ina Garten's French lentil soup with sausage; and a second batch of rosemary focaccia from the remaining dough. I've tried two different pans for the bread and ample olive oil, and it has stuck both times. The focaccia is good but the sticking is frustrating.

• Like 3

Tonight I made ricotta blintzes from Smitten Kitchen Everyday. The flavor of the batter (which included orange zest and currants) was great, but I had trouble with the directions for forming them by hand-tossing in flour. I lost a lot of batter that got stuck to my hands. (The recipe yielded 16; I got 10.) The temperature given for frying was too high and they over browned and dried out some. I wish they'd worked better because the batter was nice.

They were supposed to be served with honey but I used maple syrup. I also put out some smoked salmon, dill, and sour cream for the blintzes.

I cooked up a bunch of pork sage breakfast sausages as well. (That's one reason I went with maple syrup instead of the honey that would have had to be heated. I love maple syrup with breakfast sausages.)

• Like 2

Last night was roasted broccolini and cherry tomatoes, with tahini-yogurt sauce and basil; curry-roasted chickpeas and cauliflower; farro, toasted pine nuts and halved raw cherry tomatoes. I put out extra sauce for serving. It was inspired by a description I saw of a dish Jose Andres' operation had been serving out of the TFG kitchen for government employees during the shutdown. (Description of the original: "roasted broccoli and basil tahini bowl with tzatziki, curry roasted garbanzos, farro, and cherry tomatoes.")

I seasoned the broccolini with evoo, salt, pepper, and ancho chili powder. The ancho added a little fruitiness. This was a solid meatless meal. Without the yogurt it would have been vegan.

• Like 2

Leftover lentil and sausage soup
Pan-grilled baby back ribs
German potato salad

I'd noted the rib recipe a while ago, after I saw it on David Lebovitz's blog, and only finally got around to making it last night. I had vacuum-sealed extra ribs I had after making a different recipe and defrosted them for this. I didn't note how much that was but probably 3/4- 1 lb. This employs a grilling technique used in France that can be done stovetop with a grill pan. The ribs sit for a while after being coated with a spice rub and are then are grilled about 7 minutes on the fattier side, turned over and done 20 more minutes with the pan covered. They came out really well, nice and tender. It didn't take much more than 1 1/2 hours start to finish (though I used all pre- ground spices, approximating the amounts, since the recipe calls for 2 lbs. of ribs.)

• Like 1

If you're a vegetarian, you're probably going to want to skip this post.

;) 

Every year, B and I invite our friends over for a dinner party the night the Oscars are held. This year, I decided to make pernil asado, inspired by a lunch I had at my firm's offices in Silicon Valley. That meal was so delicious that I *had* to learn how to replicate it at home.

Pernil asado con mojo
Arroz con gandules
Green salad, house vinaigrette
Sugar-free deep dark chocolate ice cream
Blackberry-lime pie, whipped cream

The ice cream was homemade and the pie from Whole Paycheck. (I decided to take a break from baking this weekend.)

DSC00023-001.JPG.f32b520c496fce57d1196fae8c749675.JPG

The sofrito for the arroz con gandules (for non-Spanish speakers, that's rice with pigeon peas) was decidedly non-traditional.

Clockwise from left: minced onion; minced onion and garlic; minced green pepper; minced cilantro; minced celery. Not shown is 1 tablespoon lard melting in a pan.

I ultimately decided to omit the cilantro in the sofrito. Essentially you're sweating the vegetables until they've softened, a process that will take about 20-25 minutes. Salt and pepper at the end.

DSC00029-001.JPG.c671e51851557c13e14df8d5cf3321c0.JPG

710 ml chicken stock
85 g minced cilantro
120 g sofrito
a pinch of saffron
14 g dried oregano
822 g canned pigeon peas
1 large onion, chopped
120 g pitted green and black olives
85 g bacon, diced
30 g tomato paste
350 g rice

You can view the recipe here, and the above ingredient list has changed a bit from the original but the process is the same: https://www.saveur.com/…/Arroz-con-Gandules-Rice-and-Pigeon…

Not shown is a Dutch oven with 1 tbsp. (12 g) lard which I substituted for the canola oil in the Saveur recipe.

DSC00032-001.JPG.8fad430d6525c9f2ebfb393509996e50.JPG

DSC00044-001.JPG.18c8f3f969d586e900ae9c3628142ee7.JPG

DSC00046-001.JPG.3bde7a139a1e798e003edce42c0a79fe.JPG

DSC00058-001.JPG.660cc7a740cfaac4807b8ba9800d0d8e.JPG

DSC00018-001.JPG.029b06896017439ab6337c565708dc41.JPG

This is about 12 lbs. (a little over 5.5 kg) pork shoulder with skin and bone. We roasted it at 200 F(93 C) for 11 hours.

Recipe is here:  https://afoodobsessionblog.wordpress.com/2014/07/31/pernil-borinquen-a-slow-cooked-puerto-rican-pork-roast/?fbclid=IwAR1bRSsX3VyFd24q0sMdHWPsTRrAkYhCaYbuCn8Xyi5OjnvRFhaC2j_hcSM

To go along with this, we made some mojo:

28 g dried oregano
28 g ground cumin
60 garlic cloves, chopped
940 ml orange juice
940 ml lime juice
salt, to taste
freshly ground black pepper, to taste

DSC00021-001.JPG.83a528f6c17376b2db042b586a71cf14.JPG

DSC00009-001.JPG.9d88430584f77cd15d097619237bce7b.JPG

DSC00074-001.JPG.0cd14f94df54a7fb96e454910d42766d.JPG

DSC00079-001.JPG.731947f68798dd87af9a5cac58cff2f4.JPG

DSC00081-001.JPG.53babc4f52dbc80c042150051a151d32.JPG

DSC00082-001.JPG.5def1d9fe3fe95ecf86131916a1b24e3.JPG

DSC00086-001.JPG.d8f428c6d8ff9b4a323aee7ae6b6da1f.JPG

We're definitely making it again. For sure.

• Like 5

Last night I made Ethiopian food for the first time in quite a while: doro wat, ayib begomen (collards with cottage cheese), and injera. The injera was my most successful to date, but since my other efforts have been more or less abject failures, that's not saying a whole lot. I used a different recipe than in the past for doro wat and the sauce wasn't quite right. The hard-boiled eggs for it, however, came out perfectly. I've had a terrible time with hard boiled eggs in recent times, and these came out exactly the way they were supposed to. (I went back to my mother's old way of doing them.)

• Like 4

Last night was clean the fridge night so we had- sauteed asparagus in butter, lemon and white wine, and then small bits of curried potatoes and peas, tomatoes and onions sauteed in butter and thyme, rice pilaf, roasted chicken and a little shredded roast pork.  

Now I need to come up with a comprehensive plan moving forward, as I may have gone a little overboard with my Costco vegetable buying and need to do some prep so nothing goes to waste.

• Like 1

Cream of crab and potato soup
Injera
Leftover farro, roasted cauliflower and chickpeas with added Ethiopian spiced butter

The soup was repurposed leftovers from my restaurant lunch of crab fries. There was a small but decent portion left, so I made soup for my husband, figuring I'd already had my share. I threw them in the blender and added some basil leaves, chicken stock, and a few glugs of heavy cream and made a pureed soup. I reheated it in a saucepan, swirling in a little smoked paprika, and topped the bowl of soup with minced chives. I, of course, tested it as I went along ;-). It was good.

• Like 1

Last night I had a meeting I was hosting, so dinner was cheese plate with salami, cheese, apple and crackers.  Orange segments covered with chocolate.  And the ugliest dip you have ever seen in your life- an avocado, greek yogurt and a packet of onion soup mix.  It was delicious, but the brown mix completely over powered the green avocado and it looked like baby puke.  But it was very tasty.  If one could add some coloring of some sort it might look better.  Served with baby cucumbers quartered lengthwise and carrot sticks.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

Last night I had a meeting I was hosting, so dinner was cheese plate with salami, cheese, apple and crackers.  Orange segments covered with chocolate.  And the ugliest dip you have ever seen in your life- an avocado, greek yogurt and a packet of onion soup mix.  It was delicious, but the brown mix completely over powered the green avocado and it looked like baby puke.  But it was very tasty.  If one could add some coloring of some sort it might look better.  Served with baby cucumbers quartered lengthwise and carrot sticks.

Sounds delicious but what a description!!!!!

Last night I made:

• Roasted butternut squash-carrot soup
  • Lentil curry (using the medium Golden Curry mix and including carrots, onions, potatoes, and peas) with rice and frozen parathas
  • Oven-baked chicken wings, tossed in the all-purpose Gochujang sauce we now use for everything (original Dad Cooks Dinner recipe here and now my husband just riffs on it whenever we need a sauce) - never made plain oven-baked wings before, but wanted to try the baking-powder trick (hey, did you know that baking powder can have sodium aluminum sulfate in it? I didn't until now! Even if there aren't proven health effects for avoiding ingested Al, there can be metallic taste implications, so we've now switched to Al-free) to see if they would ever become adequately crispy.   They take forever (solid hour+) and don't look like much (never got really browned), but once tossed in sauce they suddenly looked just like deep-fried wings from a restaurant, and tasted pretty darn close. I'll call it a win for when we want to gorge on wings.  BTW, I had one rack so I made one pan with the wings up on a rack and one pan with the wings on parchment paper on the pan. The racked wings were definitely crispier, but a little tougher and the rack is kind of a pain to scrub. The unracked wings were oilier because they cooked in their own fat but got a little browner and were a bit juicier.  Oh, also I had to flip the unracked wings once midway through cooking.  Overall not a huge difference and since we'll always toss them in sauce anyway I'll go with unracked in the future.

Over the weekend we made a ton of meatballs, a meaty marinara, pasta, lots of guacamole, and a couple pans of roasted zucchini.

• Like 3

Tonight was a Giada DeLaurentiis recipe for Mortadella Meatball Sliders with pistachio pesto. In addition to mortadella, there is ground pork for heft, plus fillers and seasonings. We also had Utz potato chips. The sliders, which also involve baby arugula, were very good. I have a lot left over. The pesto came out extremely well. At some point, I had a pistachio pesto recipe, and I'd forgotten how good it can be. I have 4 more slider rolls (whole wheat), so I think we'll have more for lunch tomorrow. There should be enough excess pesto to make some kind of pasta dish with the last of it.

• Like 3

Tonight was vegan night at Casa TrelayneNYC and I'm snacking on some chilled diced pineapple as I type this...

DSC00121-002.JPG.ae7558e3d54e9c098408835e2c179d41.JPG

DSC00118-002.JPG.9d22e3d144edb90631e4a6faf2824945.JPG

The first two pictures are approx. 1 kg of wild and cultivated mushrooms. The first bowl contains black pearl oyster mushrooms and baby shiitake mushrooms, and the bowl in the bottom picture has yellowfoot chanterelle mushrooms.

DSC00183.JPG.391c83164ede560b3f0c75e9aa39d46b.JPG

Clockwise from bottom left:  porcini broth; yellowfoot mushrooms; baby shiitake mushrooms; black pearl oyster mushrooms; thyme leaves; red pepper flakes; sage leaves; flour; tomato paste; garlic paste (3 garlic cloves, smashed and pounded into a paste in a mortar and pestle along with a pinch of salt); diced onion; olive oil.

DSC00152.JPG.32af871a5b2ba76ee3efdc6274e7da1c.JPG

The porcini broth consists of 10 g dried porcini mushrooms combined with 150 g diced onion, 100 g diced celery, 60 g diced carrots, 1 bay leaf and 710 ml water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes. Strain liquid into a small saucepot and keep on another burner, on low heat.

DSC00154.JPG.42fcdd37a6b41aec763fce650a7de833.JPG

You can smash the garlic cloves into a paste using the tines of a fork, or pound them in a mortar and pestle.

DSC00164.JPG.c3b64f5837577e7f051db837d1010151.JPG

It'll become something like this after a few minutes.

DSC00168.JPG.7b4154c6c958cdf5473459b9d70eed4a.JPG

DSC00179.JPG.a170ea5c54fef310e6dffc8ba25a76ff.JPG

Porcini broth. Leave this unseasoned since you'll be using it later on.

DSC00188.JPG.52618e473d0bdba63aba0e3889b2e5b4.JPG

Warm olive oil in a pan, then fry onions until browned. Season with salt and pepper, then transfer onions to a small bowl.

DSC00192.JPG.f41a561c7c3d8d86638b55756d22970d.JPG

Add mushrooms to the pan. Cook until the mushrooms begin to exude some liquid. Eventually they'll reabsorb the juices and begin to brown. At that point, add the garlic paste and herbs to the pan. Stir them in and cook for a minute. Reduce heat to medium.

DSC00198.JPG.22cbe8381fbee018043ab11d8957f0ee.JPG

Add the onions back to the pan.

DSC00199.JPG.811007ceb98b174d33c4733a9ce0c73b.JPG

Stir in the tomato paste. Fry for a minute, then stir in the flour.

DSC00202.JPG.75db5606c803cade0cdc29201b2c4071.JPG

Cook for one more minute, then add in the porcini broth, a ladleful at a time. Cook until ragu reaches your desired consistency. Taste for salt and pepper, stir in some chopped parsley, then serve at once.

DSC00213-001.JPG.407196bded730d32f259f12d49ca7ea3.JPG

DSC00218-001.JPG.4dd77ee8549691984a4448e2bdf7f633.JPG

Curly endive salad with orange and oil-cured black olives
Wild mushroom ragù, served over pearl barley and pigeon peas

• Like 8

I made a NY Times recipe for honey and harissa roasted brussels sprouts last night. I mixed the lemon into the coating for the sprouts, kind of by accident, but it worked well. I didn't make the relish. I put the shallot I had prepped for the relish before changing my mind into a kind of creamed spinach dish with creme fraiche and feta. Salad: green leaf lettuce, tomato, and cucumber with ranch. The various vegetable preparations were served with London broil. I made the meat the same way I've been doing it, but it was a little tougher this time than it has been.

• Like 2

Friday night was fish tacos with tilapia that I fried in a tempura batter, with a sriracha honey lime coleslaw, avocado and hot sauce.

We used the leftover fried fish for fish sandwiches on white bread with mayo, lettuce and tomato.

• Like 2

Then I prepped dinner in advance for Monday and Tuesday this week:

DSC00287-001.JPG.0c649b785793fba08f927519cc001b08.JPG

DSC00291-001.JPG.6eff0fa6b15e598bcb0dbee04a451eb5.JPG

DSC00293-001.JPG.0fc7ccbdd323468e576f8b884b75c1f4.JPG

DSC00296-001.JPG.42f376cbd9f5c2cbe15a109f749e8d5b.JPG

DSC00300-001.JPG.d3585f0ade4876c55d939588e7364ea6.JPG

DSC00304-001.JPG.175df2bd01872468e663d5ba0f11b13f.JPG

DSC00306-001.JPG.b675f3ea834369e1ef5ccfb8d43134c4.JPG

DSC00309-001.JPG.d48c9d79a9045eb37f6b1376ce61e577.JPG

DSC00313-001.JPG.43e05db3f4fb3439535edc6a8780e145.JPG

DSC00316-001.JPG.b3caf7499b5ffc59cc8119b0a2aed6b9.JPG

Pesce alla ghiotta, from Two Kitchens by Rachel Roddy, page 252.

Her recipes are in metric, which isn't a big deal to me considering that I can convert easily but it might be a challenge for others.

Quantities listed below are what I used tonight and differ slightly from the book:

1 onion
3 celery stalks, with leaves
790 g crushed tomatoes
3 g granulated sugar
30 g capers packed in salt, rinsed
60 g green olives
4 rock cod fillets
salt
freshly ground black pepper

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Smita Nordwall said:

Does the skin stay crispy? I can't imagine it would. 

No, but it's tasty nonetheless.

If I made this again, I would probably salt and pepper a whole chicken 2-3 days in advance (per Judy Rogers' Zuni Cafe cookbook), slather on a spice paste and marinate for an hour, then roast.

11 hours ago, TrelayneNYC said:

Then I prepped dinner in advance for Monday and Tuesday this week:

How does the fish work out in a make-ahead preparation? I often have fish left after I make it the first time and then try to use it right away in something else. I can't recall making fish ahead of time to serve a day or two later.

Last night I made the spinach pie I've been working on developing into an actual recipe. I had creme fraiche that needed to be used and put that into the filling as well as the usual cheeses, meat, etc.. I found it a little too wet.

I didn't have the lamb merguez sausage I usually put in the pie so I made my own with some ground lamb and a Pierre Franey recipe. I made about a half recipe, which was more than I needed. Going to cook the rest of it up today.

These are the amounts for a full sausage recipe:

1 ½ pounds ground lamb
1 teaspoon paprika [I used smoked]
½ teaspoon crushed dried, hot red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt to taste if desired
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons finely minced garlic
1 tablespoon corn, peanut or vegetable oil [for cooking the sausage patties]

15 hours ago, Pat said:

How does the fish work out in a make-ahead preparation? I often have fish left after I make it the first time and then try to use it right away in something else. I can't recall making fish ahead of time to serve a day or two later.

It's not any more different than fish soup or clam chowder. I imagine you do have leftovers? The only difference is that this will be eaten tonight.

The bonus is that the sauce can also be used for pasta and the flavors develop marvelously.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TrelayneNYC said:

It's not any more different than fish soup or clam chowder. I imagine you do have leftovers? The only difference is that this will be eaten tonight.

The bonus is that the sauce can also be used for pasta and the flavors develop marvelously.

Thanks. This looks like it might be an interesting dish to try.

Last night we had more of the mortadella meatball sliders, plus chicken noodle soup from homemade stock, and potato chips.

I improvised a good meal tonight. I made what I will call bruschetta pastry bites: pie dough in mini muffin tins, filled with minced basil and mozzarella cheese and topped with a cherry tomato half; and pesto penne with leftover pistachio pesto, crumbled merguez sausage, chopped cherry tomatoes, English peas, and Parmesan.

I had an extra premade pie crust after I made spinach pie a couple days ago. I had put it in a ziploc back in the fridge because the dough had broken apart badly when I took it out of the box. (I've had this problem before with TJ's pie crusts.)  It was the right amount to fill two 12 hole mini muffin tins with crust. This was really unbelievably good.

• Like 3

Tonight was fridge salad- kale and lettuce, leftover cucumber tomato salad, leftover roast asparagus, a few cherry tomatoes we hadn't used, leftover roasted potato wedges chopped, bacon, some of the turkey that needed to be used, blue cheese, homemade ranch dressing.

• Like 2

OMG TrelayneNYC, all your food but especially that mushroom ragu!!! #foodgoals in the extreme!

On the much simpler end of the cooking spectrum, on Tuesday I made:

• 4 pans of roasted asparagus, cauliflower, and zucchini
  • chicken congee
  • the Thai eggplant/pepper/basil dish that's super limey, which comes out much better than my black-bean sauce version
  • guacamole
  • white rice

Earlier this week we'd made separate cheese, pepperoni (well, salume), and white sauce-mushroom pizzas, KBBQ-marinated sirloin steaks, a double batch of GF, peanut-butter cookies, and pesto chicken salad that we've been eating over greens all week.  For eating the steak, my husband has been cooking up a few Costco panko-coated fried shrimp in the toaster oven in order to have surf-n-turf meals and has been very happy. 

• Like 3

I didn't feel like cooking last night and we didn't have much in the way of leftovers. Usually I have no trouble getting inspiration but I didn't have any. I stopped at TJ's to buy pita, and they were out of it, so I bought garlic naan and some grape tomatoes. Dinner was a spread of naan, Cava roasted garlic hummus, steamed broccoli, and baby carrots; wild rice with shallot and green pepper; and a salad of iceberg lettuce, grape tomatoes, green pepper, and avocado with bottled ranch dressing. The rice and vegetables were underseasoned, but this otherwise turned out fine.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2019 at 9:40 AM, Pat said:

Thanks. This looks like it might be an interesting dish to try.

So, I made the Pesce alla ghiotta that TrelayneNYC posted the other day. It came out really well. I found the actual recipe from the book on google books. I used two pieces of cod about 8 oz. each. So glad you posted this!  I served it with boiled yukon gold potatoes with butter and parsley and more of the salad from the day before, but with radishes added. We also had more of the garlic naan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1