Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

DSC02119-001.JPG.d33df5159bbc4c7e7ba1c7b3423417ea.JPG

DSC02160-001.JPG.321dd051e8edb5af5491831f48bf2359.JPG

This was dinner last weekend -

Green beans braised in tomato sauce
Braised chicken with wine, olives and tomato

My partner had to spend most of July moving his parents from their assisted living spaces in Texas to a new assisted living space/nursing home in New Jersey, then he had to go back to Texas along with his sister to help sell the house. While he was away, I basically spent the intervening time living on takeout since I lost all motivation to cook. Not sure how I survived when I was single...

• Like 3

Last night was TJs frozen Kung Pao Chicken, with the remains of beef and broccoli and rice.  I also made myself egg cups for breakfast and I made my office blueberry banana muffins.  The night before we had tacos.  Now the fridge is mostly empty of remains and I can start again.

Red onion and cucumber pickle plate
Leftover turkey - vegetable soup doctored up with Thai red chile paste for something different
Grilled cheese (goat brie and colby jack) with tomato and bacon on sourdough
Trader Joe's potato chips

Weird eclectic meal last night, though essentially soup, salad, sandwich.

More leftover turkey - vegetable soup amped up with red Thai curry paste; warm salad of wild rice, barley, dried cranberries, portobello mushroom, and walnuts; and, tuna salad sandwiches with heirloom tomato on seeded rye bread

• Like 1

Friday night was bacon cheeseburgers with melon on the side (and some crab chips for Hubby).  

Last night I cut apart a ham, we used a third for Hubby to slice for sandwich meat, 1/3 was frozen, and I baked the 1/3 with the bone.  I put on a glaze of maple syrup, grainy mustard, garlic salt, pepper, paprika and cayenne.  That turned out well.  I also made some green beans from the farmer's market- I thought they were a little dry so I just boiled them.  And skin on mashed potatoes with red potatoes (they were ok, but I think they got too gloppy, the leftovers I am making into potato pancakes.

Tonight I roasted a whole turkey (but that is to vacuum seal and freeze the breasts for later for lunch meat) and the rest of the turkey is going to get turned into tamales with tomatillos from the garden.  I am thinking I might take all the gizzards and etc though and make pate.  Although we might eat some of the turkey if the grill doesn't light.  If the grill lights we are going to have brats and corn on the cobb.  

• Like 2

I changed my mind kind of last minute about what I was making for dinner last night. Instead of a recipe I had planned to make, I cooked down all of the mushrooms I had (a portobello and a few handfuls of shiitakes) with onion and garlic, and added chopped heirloom tomato at the end and used that as a bed for shallow fried boneless pork loin chops. I also cooked some peas that had been in the freezer a long time in a little water with butter, salt, and pepper, to go on the plate. And I heated whole wheat naan in a cast iron skillet to go on the table as well, with tzatziki and hummus. I felt stupid making frozen vegetables in August, but it did clear out some much-needed space in the freezer, so there's that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pat said:

I changed my mind kind of last minute about what I was making for dinner last night. Instead of a recipe I had planned to make, I cooked down all of the mushrooms I had (a portobello and a few handfuls of shiitakes) with onion and garlic, and added chopped heirloom tomato at the end and used that as a bed for shallow fried boneless pork loin chops. I also cooked some peas that had been in the freezer a long time in a little water with butter, salt, and pepper, to go on the plate. And I heated whole wheat naan in a cast iron skillet to go on the table as well, with tzatziki and hummus. I felt stupid making frozen vegetables in August, but it did clear out some much-needed space in the freezer, so there's that.

And how was it?  Great idea, but how was it?

DSC02274-001.JPG.9c09b832cc6a0abf6eff7dc00a43d85e.JPG

DSC02278-001.JPG.90fcea2c60b8755c0cafd2639991208c.JPG

DSC02286-001.JPG.550ecd1e5c3dd19ff3f04b8e836688cf.JPG

We had meatballs on Saturday.

This time there was no bread or milk in the meatball mix - which consisted of 150 g ground pork and 75 g ground chuck along with the usual herbs (parsley/mint), cheese, nutmeg, salt and pepper.

Sunday was minestrone (sorry, no pic) which had no tomatoes and featured the following ingredient list:

onion
carrot
celery
Italian parsley
olive oil
zucchini
butternut squash
green beans
Swiss chard
escarole
cranberry beans
prosciutto
water
salt
black pepper
elbow macaroni

This was garnished with generous spoonfuls of garlic-herb breadcrumbs (250 g stale bread, diced, combined with olive oil, salt and black pepper, then baked to a crisp and whizzed in a food processor along with some minced garlic and a few sprigs of Italian parsley).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveO said:

And how was it?  Great idea, but how was it?

It was pretty good. The pork, despite being thin, was pretty moist, which the bed of mushrooms enhanced. (I dredged  the chops in seasoned flour before putting them in the skillet.) 

It all looked pretty on the plate. I had broccolini but didn't feel like making it, which is why I went with peas to get something green on the plate.

The highlight of last night's dinner was a cheese-blanketed Korean Fire Chicken recipe I found via the NY Times site. It was excellent (though the cheese element does seem a bit weird, all things considered). I might even want to look for a non-cheese version to try some time.

We had this with white rice, an Indian-spiced roasted eggplant puree, and a pickle plate with cucumbers and red onions, plus (unpickled) cooked shrimp. I also heated up some more whole wheat naan.

The eggplant recipe (which features cumin, ginger, chile, lime, and peanuts) is from One Spice, Two Spice: American Food, Indian Flavors (2006), by Floyd Cardoz.

So, I guess the theme of the meal was hyphen American versions of cuisines I don't cook much 😉.

• Like 1

Loaf of no-knead bread (6-hr rise, still looks and tastes great, like magic!), chicken Katsu, jap chae, cucumbers, and lots of fruit.

Last night we had pan-fried, walnut-encrusted White Sea bass. Actually a little heavy - the fish was amazing and didn't need that much help. 

Made red beans and rice earlier in the week and now I think we're done cooking for a few days.

• Like 2

Last night was salad with kale, spinach and leaf lettuce, cherry tomatoes and green peppers from the garden, corn that Hubby grilled with a lime, cayenne butter baste the other night, that I sliced off the cobb, shredded muenster cheese and sliced bratwurst.  I made a salsa, balsamic vinagrette with a little hot sauce in it. 

• Like 2

NYT Cherry Tomato and White Bean Salad
Cantaloupe slices wrapped in prosciutto
Breakfast for dinner sandwiches: Scrambled eggs with Fresno chile, bacon, Asiago cheese and romaine lettuce on onion rolls

I had the lettuce prepped and then thought maybe that was an odd addition, but I went with it because I had it. I assembled the sandwiches and then took the bottom roll back off to insert the lettuce at the last second so it didn't wilt. These were excellent sandwiches, if I do say so myself.

I defrosted some mustard greens, and sauteed squash and onion, and made a casserole/Shepard's pie with: mustard greens, chopped ham, squash and onion, diced tomatoes, a few leftover green beans thrown in, topped with mashed potatoes and cheese. 

• Like 1

Doctored up some chicken/veg broth with wine, soy sauce, and powdered ginger, onion, and garlic to make a quick soup for using up some dried Asian noodles, also adding a chicken breast, shredded, and a few handfuls of chopped, frozen kale. Not bad at all! And it went well with another loaf of no-knead bread. We aren't going to have a problem using up that bread flour after all...

• Like 2

Cantaloupe matchsticks with salt and pepper
Steamed broccolini with butter and Parmesan
Flatbread pizzas on whole wheat naan (tomato sauce, cremini mushrooms, Fresno chile, pickled red onions, sliced heirloom tomato, mozzarella, Hatch chile cheddar, and Parmesan)

DSC02361-001.JPG.502a6cb32d693a20b36118d216fe7ba4.JPG

DSC02365-001.JPG.5a3a1c4bd30aa9fb2a196692bec76fa3.JPG

DSC02369-001.JPG.381810ddf0843bf04643974a21b9d077.JPG

DSC02373-001.JPG.1d65782bd80beb7360acb1e4ff7350a2.JPG

Pot roast

1 1/2 kg boneless chuck
2 onions, quartered
4 carrots, peeled and sliced
4 celery stalks, sliced
2 parsnips, peeled and sliced
2 large turnips, peeled and cut into wedges
2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
1 head of garlic, top sliced off to expose most of the cloves underneath
50 g unsalted butter
15 ml sunflower or canola oil
salt
black pepper
50 g tomato paste
1 rosemary sprig
2 bay leaves
350 ml pinot noir or merlot
900 ml beef stock

• Like 3

Last night was short rib, roasted Hatch chile, and green tomato stew; macaroni and cheese with shredded zucchini; and toasted baguette with butter.

I mentally put the stew together based on ingredients on hand, having no idea how it would work, and it was quite successful. I had Hatch chiles that I'd bought at Harris Teeter last week. I only roasted and used two in this and they were plenty hot to season the whole thing. I'd bought short ribs on sale at Whole Foods Friday, as well as picking up some heirloom green tomatoes there because they looked intriguing. I used two of those as well.

To make this, I layered slices of white onion on the bottom of a crock pot, then a sliced (unroasted) Anaheim chile, then the sliced tomatoes. I set the individual short ribs (seasoned with just salt and pepper) on top and filled in with strips of roasted Hatch chilies. I poured the last couple tablespoons of an opened can of tomato juice in around the edges and some chicken broth from an open box and some more black pepper.

I managed to get the amount of liquid right, which I always have trouble with in crock pot cooking. I seem habitually to overdo it and put in too much liquid. This was just the right amount to produce a nice, flavorful stew. It was really beefy tasting with a boost from the Hatch chiles. Most crock pot dishes taste washed out to me, but this was very flavorful.

• Like 3

Last night we had a white mushroom pizza. The base was olive oil, oregano, and garlic. The main topping was sauteed garlic-y cremini mushrooms with some frizzled prosciutto scattered over them, then Fontina, mozzarella, and Parmesan cheeses. When it came out of the oven, I tossed baby arugula on top, dressed with a little Dijon vinaigrette.

This took longer to make than I planned, so my husband got a small fried foods appetizer of crab balls and chicken fingers I had brought home after a catered event on Sunday, with ranch for dipping.

• Like 1

Last night we went out, but the night before was tamales.  Mostly green chile turkey, BUT I had a lot of rogan josh sauce left from Indian food we ordered the other night that I had thrown in the veggie succotash remains (corn, green beans, squash and onions).  I had enough masa and wrappers for 2 more tamales, but was out of turkey green chile sauce, so I made tamales filled with veggie rogan josh.  Those were REALLY good.  This is a non-traditional recipe I may have to try to develop on my own as it was so good.  It did mean I had to take a dairy pill to eat a tamale, but worth it.

• Like 2

For my family reunion Sunday I made empanadas- half traditional beef filling, half turkey mole with spinach.  I also made cold Sichuan noodles with cucumber.  I didn't make the bao buns, there was just too much chaos in the kitchen for that.  

Last night was leftover stuffed peppers from the reunion that my cousin made, with fried potatoes with rosemary, sliced tomato and a steamed artichoke.

• Like 1

DSC02445-001.JPG.3a5aeee4fb7b3b7a7a70d1a68006fad5.JPG

2 kg lamb shanks marinated in a mixture of olive oil, salt, black pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom and turmeric for 36 hours

DSC02454-001.JPG.eb8df921ecb523006e80ab608c279c52.JPG

DSC02459-001.JPG.c2381cc182dccc1ed745b41cfbf7e03b.JPG

DSC02463-001.JPG.c27d030ade4ac7c83e602c37e283f499.JPG

DSC02473-001.JPG.3459b471d982145922adec3295660820.JPG

DSC02492-001.JPG.36daed5a079ce8d6570b8c18bc074312.JPG

DSC02500-001.JPG.1bf48270f4b18d3f770a3cc9ecfb676a.JPG

DSC02505-001.JPG.835f1a4bdb9746841d34dc99cc14d5be.JPG

DSC02494-001.JPG.d2096c4ea0ef4af379600b116bb8c62a.JPG

DSC02447-001.JPG.7c0e69d7dd8af46448dfac8a1ba65f44.JPG

DSC02449-001.JPG.d5471d2ef6d6a8ebaeff9bc0ee6b246e.JPG

DSC02453-001.JPG.48b6a9f4b52e79c2a811b0086e5fc73e.JPG

DSC02466-001.JPG.0be57b33be5ae5d70b4d8816bd3fea74.JPG

DSC02469-001.JPG.df3359378b808453e2e64d50e16b2762.JPG

DSC02479-001.JPG.fde09cea9181c84976ce3000236852c9.JPG

Thursday dinner for four:

Moroccan braised lamb shanks with saffron, preserved Meyer lemons and potatoes
Mixed greens (scarola, bietola e spinaci) with anchovy and garlic
Apricot, plum and pluot galette

• Like 5

I haven't really been keeping track of dinners so much lately, but these are the most recent.

Last night was oven bbq spare ribs, started with a dry rub and finished with bbq sauce; canned baked beans; steamed green beans; and, a green leaf lettuce salad with tomato, cucumber, cotija cheese, and Marcona almonds.

Sunday night was a sirloin strip steak done in a cast iron skillet; roasted red potatoes; and, steamed broccoli. I also roasted some leftover pieces of green bell pepper along with the potatoes and those ended up on the plate. Finally, I heated up some strips of roasted Hatch chiles and freshly chopped tomatoes in the pan juices, deglazed with some vermouth, to go over the steak.

Saturday we had rigatoni with tomatoes and eggplant over veal scaloppine.

• Like 2

I've been attempting to clean out and organize the pantry, with varying degrees of success. Last night this led to a vegan concoction of pearl barley, red lentils, chickpeas, roasted seaweed sheets, and basil, with spicing from a red finger chile and crystallized ginger minced super fine. I also made a spinach artichoke dip, which was served with a couple types of TJ's crackers, fairly recently bought, that were stale. I toasted them in a cast iron skillet to neutralize that a bit, and warmed up a whole wheat naan as well. The meal was rounded out with leftovers of the green leaf lettuce salad from the night before. I dressed that with some buttermilk ranch I improvised from an ancient packet of Hidden Valley Ranch Dip mix. The herbs were a bit flat so I added some white wine vinegar in addition to the (both expired) buttermilk and sour cream. So, a vegetarian meal it was.

• Like 1

Last night was pupusas that I picked up from the H Mart in Manassas, I made a side of honey/sriracha slaw (I know not the traditional one, but good none the less) and made a homemade roasted salsa with tomatoes from the garden. The last little pud of refried black beans rounded it out.  

I too am on a clean out of sorts, but I am going for the fridge/freezer.  I wouldn't mind using up some items from the pantry either... I need to go on a tahini spree.

• Like 1

Spinach salad: baby spinach, bacon, mushrooms, and raspberries; balsamic and walnut oil vinaigrette with crushed raspberries and their juice
Braised chicken thighs over leftover lentil and barley mix with pan juice
Spinach - artichoke mac and cheese with tomato
Fried tortilla strips

The raspberries had been in the fridge quite a while and I was amazed they hadn't gotten moldy. Since strawberries work on spinach salad, I figiured I'd make something along those lines. I had to tinker with the dressing a bit to get it right, also adding a bit of neutral oil to mute some of the walnut and a splash of red wine vinegar to cut the balsamic. Other than that, just black pepper.

I served the chicken over the grains like they were a stuffing and that worked well. The mac and cheese (cavatappi and rotini) was repurposed from the very rich dip from the night before..

• Like 1

Last night was cod braised in salsa from a Rick Bayless recipe.  I also had leftover rice, and squash sauteed with butter and shallots on the side.  My piece of cod was very firm, Hubby's looked more flaky, but tasty none-the-less, but I think it would have been better with grouper.

Salad (romaine, sliced mushrooms, avocado, vinaigrette)
Trader Joe's chicken and green chile tamales
Baked Hatch chile rellenos

The chile stuffing was (layered) refried black beans, onion-tomatillo salsa mixed with wild rice, and mozzarella and cheddar cheeses. They were basically open-faced, as the chiles were not big enough to close around the filling. I served the rest of the beans and the rice - salsa mixture on the side.

• Like 1

Green leaf lettuce and frisee salad with slivered white onion, cucumber, bacon, and hard-boiled eggs; vinaigrette
Baked chicken breasts
Baked onion halves
Leftover spinach-artichoke mac and cheese
Green beans with julienned sun-dried tomatoes, toasted walnuts, lemon juice, walnut oil, s+p
Whole wheat naan