Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Garam masala deviled eggs
Mustard herbed rack of lamb
Bourbon ramp glazed carrots
Whole wheat orzo with evoo, sun-dried tomatoes, and fresh chives

I made the menu for Easter dinner almost a month ago, based on ingredients I knew I had on hand and decided to stick with it even though we had acquired a few more items in the meantime. Ramp butter for the glaze and the lamb were in the freezer. I used dried herbes de Provence on the lamb. I'd forgotten chives were a perennial and was surprised when my husband mentioned I had a hearty crop growing on the upstairs porch. I left the pot out there all winter, and they made an Easter appearance.

• Like 2

We finished off the grilled veggies from the other night.

Then I grilled two packs of chicken, skin on thighs and breasts. I had marinated it since yesterday in barrel aged soy, mirin, Half was leftover. I am still getting used to my cast iron griddle and used the flat top tonight. I had the heat up a touch too long and did not flip the meat as often as I should have. The breasts were a little pink on one side, but incredibly delicious. The char on the skin was actually tasty as heck. The thighs were perfect. The marinade left a great flavor and we dipped into wasabi and more of the barrel aged soy.

A note on the wasabi: the usual brand in the small cans is S & B which is a large condiment maker in Japan. I love their ume paste too. But when I was at HMart, the S&B was $3 for a small can and $7 for a large can. There was another brand what offered 3 times the large can for $7 or $8 so I got it. It is really good and it is hotter than the S & B.

We had a juicy lucy 16oz DIPA from Solace which really hit the spot. 

We enjoyed dinner with a new friend in the house. His name is spot {that is what happens when you ask your 6-year-old dog-crazy godson for suggestions for names. So far he is styling in his cat carrier. He is 11 and is former atmom just had her second kid. The cat and the first kid didn't do great together and now with two, that was an unhappy cat. So we really turned is world upside down taking him away from his mom and bringing him somewhere new with new smells. He has eaten some food from my hand and than we left him alone nd his food dish is definitely showing signs of food disappearing. 

He is definitely a face rub slut and he purrs. He is 21 pounds and like me, could do with losing a few pounds. 

new cat.jpg

• Like 7

I marinated a lamb shoulder steak in olive oil, lemon juice, lots of garlic, dill, oregano, salt and pepper. I seared it in a skillet and served it with steamed broccoli and a simple salad of tomatoes and romaine with a vinaigrette and feta cheese. It was kind of weird eating a meal like that without friends, but it was delicious, nevertheless. 

• Like 4

The produce bag that I picked up at Silverado last week had 4 ears of corn.  Since that is so terribly out of season, I gave them a quick cook in the microwave, then shucked and seared the cobs to get some caramelization on them, cut the kernals off and made a broth with the cobs, and finally ran it all thru the blender with some seasoning and buttermilk powder for a nice corn soup for dinner tonight to which I'll add some bacon and shrimp, and make a side of avocado toast

• Like 3

Last night was our Easter dinner from Mount Vernon- lamb (it was missing the demi-glace in the bag, but they had to make 950 meals, so not complaining- I made a quick pan gravy to go with it), garlic veggies, cornbread dressing and scalloped potatoes (I also dolled these up). It was a lot of food, so now we have leftovers.  I think this week is going to be a bit of a leftover week.  Hubby kind of hates that, but I think given the times, he is pretty understanding. 

Saturday night was caesar salad with chicken and cucumbers (I know a bit odd, but the cucumber needed eaten). 

Tonight was crispy wings in my new electric smoker. For my first time, I'm pretty happy with the result. More smoke next time and I need to rotate the racks, which I didn't do this time.  Had the chicken with a bag of Trader Joe’s Mexican Style Roasted Corn with Cotija. 

IMG_20200413_185637725.jpg

• Like 2

Tonight's menu featured bread, salad, and leftover pasta (cavatappi with chicken sausage). The bread was a baguette my husband found on his shopping trip last week. It's a par-baked French baguette that you finish in your home oven. Even though the date on it isn't for almost a month, some jars and cans fell on it when I was doing some organizing in the pantry yesterday ("store in a cool dry place") and the baguette broke in half in its hermetically-sealed bag🤨. So...I felt like baking it off sooner rather than later might be a good idea. It was really soft inside, good with butter. It was warm bread. I baked all of it, but we only ate one half.

The salad was my proud achievement of the day. I had come across a recipe for a celery salad earlier and used that as my inspiration: the innermost hearts of romaine, topped with chopped toasted pistachos, golden raisins that had been soaked in sherry vinegar, sliced celery, and crumbled cheese (feta for my husband and bleu for me). Some of the soaking vinegar went into the dressing, along with Dijon mustard, evoo, and a tiny amount of date syrup.

• Like 4

Finished off last weeks veggies with a pot of borscht: beets celery, carrots, garlic chives, green onion, chinese cabbage.

Seylou bread and amish blue from Whole Foods {a crazy bargain at $6.99 a pound}

Gibson for me, martini for Kay: Hendricks, dolin 4 to 3, Peychayd's aromatic bitters, Bitter Truth lemon bitters, Bitter truth olive bitters

Shot of willett rye for me, Evan Williams Bourbon 1783 for Kay

Spot had cat chow and water. Filtered Britta water no less. And about 2 hours of ear scratches and face rubs. 

• Like 5

Tonight was smoked bacon wrapped chicken thighs. They spent about 90 min at 275*F and I'd say that was about perfect.  My husband had his with the last of the corn from the other night and I sauteed up the last of a head of green cabbage that's been lingering for far too long.

IMG_20200414_183653822.jpg

• Like 3

Broccoli* and cheese pasta (with mild Italian sausage for the carnivores).  Fast, easy (including clean-up), and tasty.

*actually a mix of broccolini and broccoli rabe.  Regular broccoli is too bland and not as easy to cook with the pasta.

• Like 2

Spot picked out a nice water to go with some cat chow. He was thinking about eating one or both of us, but that would cut into his birdwatching time. So he had us brush him for over an hour. His training of us is going well. 

Meanwhile we has a bibb lettuce salad {spring valley} w/avocado & shrimp, sherry vinegar & leftover olive oil from a bottle of olives in oil & herbs. 

Griddled Asparagus {Garner Produce} w/ sherry vinegar, lime, olive oil.

Griddled Sheephead filet w/ garner spring onion, garlic, lime zest & ginger

First cocktail: Smith & Cross Jamaican Pot Still rum, lime juice, dark simple syrup. Second the same but with Rhum Barbancourt Agricole 5*. The Barbancourt seemed more sweet and the lime was less pronounced. Kay had an RAR IPA and I helped finish the glass. 

20200413_131109 (2).jpg

• Like 4

We finished the leftover lamb from Easter and I think the meal was even better than the original. The rest: garlic bread (made from the second half of the baguette), cream of asparagus soup (with creme fraiche), and baked sweet potatoes.

• Like 1

Pot roast using chuck roast in the crock pot.  Standard onions, carrots, potatoes.  Poured in a mini bottle of vinho tinto that was the last of my wife's wine advent calendar along with some broth and herbs.  I usually mix some of the liquid with more wine and seasoning to make a sauce at the end of cooking but something went awry last night, so the whole thing ate somewhat dry.

The Beringer Knights Valley Cabernet is a decent, easy weeknight wine from Costco in the lower 20s, but last night had the Dry Creek and I think we've switched allegiances...

• Like 1

Ground-floor birdwatching was driving Veggie Daughter’s cat crazy his first few days here.  He has been a Chicago apartment cat and has always lived upstairs.  Birds love our backyard and they were so-close-yet-still-out-of-reach from him as he checked out the action from every available window.  3 weeks later, he’s more blasé.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smithhemb said:

Ground-floor birdwatching was driving Veggie Daughter’s cat crazy his first few days here.  He has been a Chicago apartment cat and has always lived upstairs.  Birds love our backyard and they were so-close-yet-still-out-of-reach from him as he checked out the action from every available window.  3 weeks later, he’s more blasé.

I hitnk Spot is working out a life free from babies and toddlers. I think he likes us. But blase he is for sure. 

Just don't get in between him and the cat chow bowl!

Some of live to eat. Others eat to live. Spot is of the 'eat to poop' variety cat. He loves scratching in the litter box. 

• Haha 3

Tonight was grilled burgers w/ picante provolone cheese on potato slider rolls that were hiding in the freezer.  And then we had ice cream for dessert.  Store was out of chocolate chip cookie dough, so my husband brought back 3 different other flavors for me to try.  Tonight was Haagen-Daz HEAVEN Chocolate Sea Salt Caramel Light Ice Cream and for a light ice cream, it's pretty fantastic.  

• Like 2

Tonight we had leftover cream of asparagus soup, baked red chicken curry, and quinoa with peas.

The curry recipe is from a cookbook I've had for years and I can't recall if I've ever made anything from it before this. It turned out I only had a small amount of Thai red chili paste left, so I mixed it with green. Not the best looking color, but eh. It tasted good. I added some chopped red finger pepper to the sauce mixture to amp the heat up some.

This used the rest of the coconut cream in the refrigerator and several of the kaffir lime leaves I've had in the freezer quite a while. It was quite easy to make. The chicken skin crisped up and browned beautifully. I used two breasts (about 1 3/4 lbs.) instead of the 8 thighs (about 2.2 lbs.) it called for, and baked a little longer.

• Like 1

Spot slept sooundly thry dinner. That is so he will be wide awake and frisky all night long. Did I say frisky? That is something like demanding little so and so, isn't it? Well, in any case, he did not ahve dinner. But he did spend the afternoon eating cat chow and drinking filtered water. And getting scratched. We both survived.

For our dinner, I took some of the raw shrimp I got yesterday and marinated them in shiokoji. Tonight I griddled them on the cast iron flattop. The shiokoji makes then brown and crisp nicely so they were particularly good.

Our veggie was thai round eggplant that I cut in half, salted, and then pressed under a weight for an hour or so. Then I washed the salt off the eggplant and drizzles pepper, spice rub, olive oil & sesame oil and let it soak in. I griddled them non the flat top, starting cut side up followed by cut side down. Then I took the combination of rinse water, olive & sesame oil in the bowl and poured it over the eggplants. I then put the stainless bowl inverted on the eggplant. I did this 2 times {the second with awate for the second skin side down portion. The eggplants were not particularly tasty so the technique heavy process worked wonders. I can't wait to do it again {and soon} with local eggplants. 

I made a margarita rocks with 2 oz lunazul 100% tequila bianco and 1 oz each lime and triplum Luxardo. The Lunazul is the same price as cuervo and worlds better than that swill. It packed a wallop of aroma in the margarita. They use wood burning ovens for the roasting of the agave. They have a 'smoky' version called Humosos that is supposed to be really smokey and traditional for $30. This is a seriously good find. Not for sipping, but a great mixing spirit. I see a tequila negroni and a tequila daiquiri in the near future. Spot says he would rather take water, and if we are in the way of either the water bowl, or the catfood bowl, he may eat us. Or meow angrily and flash his teeth. Or go look at the birds out the window,  

• Like 3

So excited to have this thread back.  It might be my favorite thread!  

Since I last posted I have made:

Grilled chicken thighs marinated in tahini dressing, with grilled romaine.

Picadillo with ground lamb instead of beef, brown rice (I could have made cuban rice, I just... didn't).

Ham and bean soup with a leftover ham bone in the freezer, and bag of items I froze for stock, and soda bread. I used very large dried lima beans that I quite liked the size and texture.

The Quick Quiche with puff pastry that was on WaPo, with cheddar, ham and broccoli as a filling.

Spaghetti Al Biano.

Spaghetti and turkey meatballs.

Chicken Sausages on the grill, with Caesar salad (used the last of the dressing that came from Mt. Vernon up)

Wild boar cooked in tomatillo sauce, which we then ate as a rice bowl with pickles and roasted veg.

And then leftover meals of the above... 

• Like 5

Shaved Brussels Sprout salad with lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, EVO and sundried tomatoes.  Let rest for 30 minutes so the shaved sprouts soften with the acidity of the lemon.  Made this one up and my wife thought it was fresh and bright.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, curls said:

Beautiful and delicious! Where did you buy the spot prawns?

Last Summer, 4 lbs of Spot Prawns were a promotional gift with pay in full purchase so that's what got me to give Premium Sitka Seafood Share a try for the first time.  Also, Spot Prawns were included in the December share.  So lucky to have extra.

Also, I'm NOT 100% satisfied with quality of Sitka Seafood.  Price matches what you get though.  Will keep searching for seafood purveyor.  I may try out ProFish.  Wholesale is now available to the public:  https://www.profish.com/home

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Deborah Lee said:

Last Summer, 4 lbs of Spot Prawns were a promotional gift with pay in full purchase so that's what got me to give Premium Sitka Seafood Share a try for the first time.  Also, Spot Prawns were included in the December share.  So lucky to have extra.

Also, I'm NOT 100% satisfied with quality of Sitka Seafood.  Price matches what you get though.  Will keep searching for seafood purveyor.  I may try out ProFish.  Wholesale is now available to the public:  https://www.profish.com/home

FWIW, we have been very happy with fish from Wild for Salmon, and there is a buying club local to us. Maybe worth consideration: https://www.wildforsalmon.com/

• Like 2

I made cornbread today from my usual recipe with the last of the bacon fat I've been saving in the refrigerator. We had that tonight, along with leftover poached chicken breast, French green beans from a large Costco bag acquired last week, and macaroni and cheese. I decided to follow the recommendation on the package and blanch the beans before frying them in olive oil. They came out well. I also added a crushed clove of garlic to the skillet. There were 4 kinds of cheese in the mac and cheese: gouda, fontina, mozzarella, and pecorino Romano.

Other dishes that we've been eating lately: a delicious but rich chicken satay soup (made with peanut butter, coconut milk, etc.); sweet potato and smoked salmon patties with a spiced yogurt sauce; pot roast with carrots and onions, sometimes over egg noodles; rigatoni with a cauliflower and cremini mushroom sauce; cashew chicken; turkey patty melts; chicken and vegetable tacos; and various egg preparations. There was a lunch in there with ramen and perfectly poached eggs 😁. For one dinner I made a Market Lunch Brick Tribute sandwich (2 scrambled eggs omelette-style, scrapple, sweet potato gnocchi, mozzarella and cheddar).

• Like 4

Leftover cornbread
Roasted buttermilk marinated chicken
Green beans sautéed with olive oil, walnuts, and sun-dried tomatoes
Leftover corn casserole plus sautéed red bell pepper
Leftover sweet potato and smoked salmon patties with spiced yogurt sauce

• Like 1

On 4/15/2020 at 9:53 PM, deangold said:

I made a margarita rocks with 2 oz lunazul 100% tequila bianco and 1 oz each lime and triplum Luxardo.

Thanks, took me this long to acquire the tequila, but that was a very good margarita!

Bought 1 pound each of Shitake, Oyster and Hens of the Woods mushrooms yesterday from the Bay Mushrooms at the Anne Arundel farmers market Sunday.  Preordered.  Spectacular sautéed with EVOO salt and pepper. Grilled steaks and a 2014 Paul Hobbs Crossbarn. It was a very nice meal. 

• Like 3

On 4/28/2020 at 1:33 PM, Deborah Lee said:

We have bought our seafood from a company called Vital Choice for quite a few years now.  They are based in the Pacific Northwest. We are pleased with the quality.  We buy salmon, cod, petrale sole, and halibut from them.

• Like 3

Not actually dinner, but today I made bagels (sesame and Everything) using a recipe from Serious Eats, after having obtained a can of barley malt syrup in Seven Corners.  My technique needs some work, but the crumb, the flavor, and the SMELL throughout the house were all excellent.  Highly recommended if you've got some time on your hands and want to put it to good use.  I'm a very reluctant baker, and I found this to be fun.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/01/homemade-bagels-recipe.html

• Like 4

Cocktails:
Tequila Negroni- Lunazul tequila, Luxardo aperitivo Americano, Cocchi rosa, Bitterman's hopped grapefruit bitters, Bitter Truth Lemon bitters
Boulevardier- old granddad bourbon, Luxardo aperitivo Americano, Cocchi rosa, Bitterman's orange citrate bitters, Bitter Truth Lemon bitters

Salad: Barajas produce spicy salad mix, herb marinated olives, Spring Valley tomato & persian cukes, wasabi-mustard dressing with homemade mayo, ume shisho vinegar, sesame oil, gold's horseradish.

Spot has pizza {that is what we have told him canned adult diet formula canned cat food is, he seem happier eating pizza than cat food. What can I say, he is weird} and some dried chow and a beautiful locally produced artisan water alla britta. 

• Like 1

Tonight's dinner:
Romaine lettuce, campari tomatoes, toasted walnuts, chopped red bell pepper, pickled raisins; feta or blue cheese; vinaigrette
Chicken and shrimp gumbo over Anson Mills antebellum coarse white grits

While inventorying the kitchen freezer recently, I discovered a very old bag of sliced okra that had about 2 cups' worth left in it. When I subsequently came into some raw shrimp, I decided gumbo would be on the agenda. That was slated for tonight, and it was so. Last night was supposed to be shrimp and grits, but it turned out that 1) many of the shrimp were still frozen solid after nearly 24 hours; and 2) the fancy pants grits I also found inventorying the freezer not only take a long time to cook but take a super exceptionally long time to cook when they've been in the freezer for 10 1/2 years. They're really supposed to be soaked overnight but basically doubling the cooking time is supposed to take care of that, and I had the time. They did not finish cooking in double the doubled cooking time.

It was getting late and I called an audible. I decided that the shrimp that were thawed were enough for that night's meal and stuck the rest back in the fridge to thaw for another night. I cooked the shrimp in bacon fat for a couple minutes a side, sprinkled with (guess what I found in the cupboard?) Emeril's Essence. They got served over leftover mac and cheese, which was nice and creamy and carb-y. We also had green beans and leftover cornbread.

I put the not finished grits into the refrigerator and started them up again this evening with some additional water, this time in a wide covered skillet. They slowly finished cooking and came out creamy. The gumbo was excellent served over top.

It turned out that not all of the shrimp were even thawed all the way today, so there are still some left. Come hell or high water, those remaining shrimp are getting cooked tomorrow!:lol:

And, I don't know if anyone else has acquired a particular weird quarantine food they can't stop eating, but mine is pickled raisins :unsure:. As soon as I finish one batch, I make another. I've been using sherry vinegar to soak them. They were really wonderful with blue cheese tonight.

• Like 1

Local asparagus from Spring Valley and/or Barajas roasted on a raised oven rack on a 425 degree oven for about 45 minutes. Rubbed with grotto spice rub, olive oil, sel gris, cracked peppercorns, The tips were a bit crispy but the stalks silky smooth and concentrated flavor. My favorite way of doing asparagus right now.

Shrimp w/Green Garlic. I took a large green garlic {the 7/8 of it left} and chopped roughly using everything but the tough green tips and chopped it roughly. Sauteed in hot pan in corn oil w.salt & pepper, then added 4 cloves of roughly chopped fresh garlic. Took best part of a pound of 16-20 frozen shrimp from Restaurant Depot {they are open to the public now and these shrimp are in 2# bags. Marinated the shrimp in 3 egg whites, Korean soy, sesame oil, potato starch, Chinese black vinegar, rice syrup, salt, pepper for 20 minutes. Added shrimp to pan when the garlic turned sweet. Sauteed for a bit until the shrimp were almost cooked and then added the marinade and cooked for a minute more stirring constantly as the whites cooked and the sauce thickened. Really good and the shrimp excellent.

Cocktails:

Whiskey Sour {2 oz Overholt rye for me, Old Grandad bourbon for Kay} 2 oz fresh lemon. 1 oz brown sugar simple, 1 stopperful Bitterman's orange cream citrate bitters, lemon twist, Luxardo cherry, egg white {left over from Gelato making.} I am not sure I ever had a whiskey sour much less made one. Put everything in the shaker and did a wet hard shake for 40 counts. Then double strained. Frothy, delicious, dangerously easy to guzzle, I mean drink! The overholt was deemed the better whiskey. 

Hard Cider: Anxo dry cider. My first ANXO cider and truly disappointing. No flavor, bite or funk. ALmost no discernable apple character. 

Templeton Rye: turns out I have been over diluting it. With just a touch of water to a shot, it is a better tipple. Not may favorite and no need to boy again. May try it in a manhattan. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Katya4me said:

We had some sliced mushrooms that really needed to be cooked, so we did grilled pork chops w/ mushrooms last night.  We cut the amount of Worcestershire sauce down to 4 TB, but otherwise followed the recipe and it was very tasty.  

What is the meaning of this sentence? 

Pour off fat from skillet (don’t wipe out). Add butter and melt over medium heat

Pouring off bacon fat? Are those words even allowed to be spoken?

Today I did indeed cook the remaining shrimp. I found some Zatarain's creole seasoning (next to the Emeril's Essence, natch) and seasoned water with it to boil the shrimp. I was going to use them along with the last of the cornbread to make a stuffing, but then I decided just to keep them as they were and not do the extra work (plus my husband isn't fond of bread stuffing/dressing). The shrimp appeared on the dinner table with lemon wedges and a quick cocktail sauce.

Dinner tonight:
Shrimp cocktail
Braised seared pork loin chops, green cabbage, onions, apples, and bacon; topped with crumbled corn bread and scallion greens
Leftover macaroni and cheese with jalapeno and bacon

• Like 2

The spinach used up the left over egg. green garlic mix from last night's shrimp spiced up with spring onion greens, garlic & ginger. Added some fresh lemon & barrel fermented fish sauce. Spinach from Barajas and Spring Valley. 

Silken Tofu w/ramp oil- heat corn oil almost till smoking and pour over ramps, Aleppo, ginger. then put back on the fire and cook again. Them, while almost-smoking hot, our over the tofu. Spectacular. A fine farewell to fresh ramps. of course we have 3# of grilled ramp butter and about a quart of grilled ramp pesto.

Mushrooms {seafood, enoki, shimeji sauteed w/garlic & ginger, tossed with sesame oil. Earthy and rich.

Heritage rice from California, umeboshi & eggplant pickle. 

Makkoli. 

Spiced Chocolate gelato. 

Spot had Pizza & water. 

_copie-0_20200507_202335.jpg

• Like 5

Salad with romaine, cucumber, radishes, tomatoes, bacon, chickpeas, feta or blue cheese, and toasted walnuts; vinaigrette
Avocado toast
Penne With Garlicky Spinach and Buttered Pistachios

The pasta was a NYT recipe I'd been planning to make for a while, but I found it kind of disappointing. It wasn't bad, but I guess I had my hopes up excessively high.