JPW

Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

Friday night was chicken, bacon, L,T, M sandwiches.

Last night I took a copycat of Zoe's Kitchen coleslaw to that I doctored up to a bbq.

Tonight was pizza with the leftover smoked chicken, homemade tomato sauce, roasted peppers, onions and tomatoes with marinated mozz.

I am a little tired of the smoked chicken, and we had a good bit left and we are hosting people for dinner this weekend where I will need a vegetarian entree and a meat one, so I made some penne, threw in the red extra sauce, spinach, leftover roasted veggies, the chicken and the driblings from the bottom of the marinated mozz container (I will use the mozz and top it with that before baking and finish off the tub) tossed in the freezer for later this week.  I also cooked some marinated chicken breasts for this weeks lunches/dinners (I know I just said I was tired of chicken, but I marinated them and needed to cook them and they are a different flavor).

Rigatoni with hot pepper vodka sauce

Monday: hush puppy fried chicken legs; leftover roasted potatoes fried in bacon fat plus leftover spinach, mushrooms, garlic, and bacon
Last night: leftover fried chicken, salad platter: (red leaf lettuce, sliced turkey, sliced tomatoes, bacon, basil; balsamic vinaigrette); and summer squash au gratin

Beans (red and pinto beans, done in a crock pot) and rice (done in a rice cooker), warmed-up Hawaiian pork rescued from the freezer, grilled corn cut off the cob, cucumbers, grape tomatoes sauteed until they popped, and purple cabbage peanut-sesame slaw made for some pretty awesome not-burrito bowls.  More importantly, none of this prep made the kitchen hot and we'll have lots of leftovers.  Unfortunately, baby ate only pork, big kid basically ate only rice. Sigh. 

Last night was sausage with kale, zucchini and string beans with soy, hoisin, sriracha, and seasame seed oil  that I cooked some soaked noodles in.

"Hot smoked" salmon, cream cheese, capers, and Italian rosemary crackers
Cold poached sockeye salmon
Cold Asian noodles

With the exception of the cream cheese (Giant) and the salt-brined capers (???), everything was from TJ's (smoked salmon and crackers)  or Whole Foods.  I have really gotten to like the cold Asian noodles from the prepared foods case at WF. The container is expensive ($7.99) but is 24 oz., and it goes a pretty long way. 

Well we just got under contract for a townhouse- so the empty the cupboards for realz- is officially on.  Last night I emptied the box of grits and made a cheese grits (according to the package instructions) and topped with shrimp sauteed with bacon, tomato, green pepper, onion, zucchini and a little tomato paste and Worcestershire.

IMG_1335.JPG

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

Well we just got under contract for a townhouse

Congratulations!  Have fun packing:P.

Since I'm here and I've pre-made dinner:

Brown rice and salmon salad with corn, peas, and red onions; lemon vinaigrette
Pork and beef kofta
Tzatziki

18 hours ago, Pat said:

Congratulations!  Have fun packing:P.

Thanks, I am excited we will be able to have a grill, and I have a hood vent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I am not sure there are enough exclamation points for a hood vent in existence for this.)  I will be able to make much better flatbreads and steaks and so much more.

20 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

Thanks, I am excited we will be able to have a grill, and I have a hood vent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I am not sure there are enough exclamation points for a hood vent in existence for this.)  I will be able to make much better flatbreads and steaks and so much more.

Exciting times!

Hoping for better times (or nostalgic for them), I made this last night: http://www.dinneralovestory.com/potuss-lucky-pasta/  It and the background story are reprinted from Sam Kass's cookbook Eat a Little Better. I made the chicken for it early in the day and toasted the nuts for the pesto. It's simple and satisfying. (After being so organized  ahead of time, I ran late actually starting dinner and it still came together fairly quickly. I did not use all the spinach called for, about half of that.)

I toasted some slices of Asiago pesto bread from Spring Mill Breads to go with it. It was a good match.

• Like 3

Last night I used the last of the Asiago pesto bread. I hadn't wanted to keep it around long because it was day old when I bought it and bread doesn't keep well in this weather. (And, no, Spring Mill doesn't discount its day-old bread. On the other hand, they only have it several days a week and if the previous day's had sold out, I couldn't have bought it at all.)  Some of it went into a batch of gazpacho and the rest was toasted for Chicken Avocado BLTs.  I think having the pesto and cheese in the bread contributed something extra to the gazpacho, which wasn't really a recipe. I used about 2 lbs. of tomatoes, a cucumber, half of a huge green bell pepper, half a medium red onion, a couple of cloves of garlic, a glug or two of Worcestershire, the juice of a lemon, kosher salt, black pepper, and some red wine vinegar.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Pat said:

Last night I used the last of the Asiago pesto bread. I hadn't wanted to keep it around long because it was day old when I bought it and bread doesn't keep well in this weather. (And, no, Spring Mill doesn't discount its day-old bread. On the other hand, they only have it several days a week and if the previous day's had sold out, I couldn't have bought it at all.)  Some of it went into a batch of gazpacho and the rest was toasted for Chicken Avocado BLTs.  I think having the pesto and cheese in the bread contributed something extra to the gazpacho, which wasn't really a recipe. 

Do you blend the bread in with the rest of the vegetables and seasonings?  And do you toast at first, or not?

I added the bread, torn into smallish pieces, after I'd broken the tomatoes down in the blender and then added everything else. I didn't toast it.

Last night was salad (red leaf lettuce, baby spinach, tomato, bacon, avocado, corn, and basil) and leftover "lucky pasta."

Tilapia baked in parchment, topped with chopped tomatoes, black olives, garlic, onion, olive oil.

Roasted tiny potatoes

Salted Caramell ice cream 

Last night we finished the gazpacho (topped with some feta) and the WF cold noodles. I had made a frittata (mushrooms, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, onion, garlic, parsley, basil, feta) earlier in the day and we had wedges of that as well, with the last of the tzatziki.

The gazpacho had thickened in the fridge, so I thinned it out with some of the water I rehydrated the tomatoes in.

Iceberg lettuce, sliced tomatoes, and sesame-soy-ginger vinaigrette
Spaghetti with meat sauce and shredded Parmesan

The vinaigrette is a bottled standby from Trader Joe's. I keep it on hand for marinades, for which it is excellent, but sometimes deploy it as a salad dressing. The pasta sauce was pretty bare bones: canned diced tomatoes, about half a small can of tomato paste, the remaining cup or so of tomato-soaking water, the dregs of some boxed red wine, onion, garlic, s+p. hot pepper flakes, dried basil/thyme/oregano, and about 1/4 tsp. of superfine sugar..  I had pre-made the sauce earlier and refrigerated it. Late in the day I picked up 1/2 lb. of butcher's blend from Union Meats. While I boiled the pasta, I cooked the meat in the pan the sauce had been made in, added back in the sauce, and a little pasta cooking water. Dinner was ready quickly.

Last night was leftovers from eating out and etc.  But Monday night I made steak with Adam's seasoning, chicken tenders with a rub from penzey's called mural of flavor, capresse salad with some amazing heirloom tomatoes from the farmer's market and roasted zucchini with peppers and onion as my Mom was with us and she eats Keto.

I cooked some poultry sous vide yesterday, so last night was hot Italian turkey sausages, done sv and then seared in a cast iron skillet, over red quinoa and steamed broccoli.

Last night I used the really good tomato and lettuce I got from the Farmer's Market to make a really stellar BLT.  That is just one of my favorite summer sandwiches, I could eat it almost everyday.

• Like 2