JPW

Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

5 hours ago, curiouskitkatt said:

Watching election results had me in a state of anxiety last night to where dinner was a bit anti-climatic to all of the provisions I happen to shove in my mouth throughout the day. Dinner was composed of grocery store bought  kelbasa & fried eggs. The role of carb was filled by Lao sticky rice. In Pa Dutch County we lovingly refer to softly fried eggs as dippy.  And 'Im not  referring to the quaintly softly boiled eggs that are cracked to which you dipped toasted brioche soldiers. Just a fried egg.  The state of the yolk served as the perfect dipping sauce for my sticky rice. And instead of salt , I drizzled Maggi judiciously over my eggs. The combination of that salty sauce and yolk is such a distinctive flavor in our household, I am surprised Maggi is not a condiment at Viet restaurants. Breakfast idea, y'all. 

As a kid I would only eat scrambled or dippy eggs!   I made chili, but the beans despite being soaked and then cooked for a long time (kidneys) were still fairly al dente (not bad just chewier than I like).  Not sure what their deal were, but I didn't need the added stress of not perfect chili while watching election returns, hahahaha!

• Like 1

Roasted chicken breasts brushed with Sichuan chili oil
Roasted whole multicolored carrots
Roasted and mashed sweet potato with maple syrup, butter, and blood orange juice

I had the chili oil left from the wontons I'd made a week ago. Since it has raw garlic in it, I wasn't sure how long it would be safe to keep it, even in the refrigerator. It's probably overly conservative to decide it has to be used within a week and then discarded, but that's what I'm going with. I started the breast halves skin side down in a cast iron skillet on the stove,, seasoned them with coarse salt and pepper, flipped after they browned, added more salt and pepper, and did a few more minutes on the other side. I turned off the heat and brushed on several coats of chili oil. Then the skillet went into a 400F oven for about 40 minutes until the thermometer said they were done.

Because I stupidly dipped the brush back into the jar with the oil after brushing the browned but still mostly raw chicken, I figured it could only be used on more raw chicken. I have another pack of breast halves so am going to do the same thing again today (sides TBD) and then discard the excess oil. The chicken came out great this way.

• Like 1

Home made hummus with roasted eggplant and pita and way too much liquor on election eve.

• Like 1

The chicken breasts with chili oil came out even better this time!  Go figure. The accompaniment ended up being stir-fried tofu and cremini mushrooms plus Chinese egg noodles, with scallions scattered over everything.

• Like 1

Swiss cheeseburgers on whole wheat buns with avocado and banana peppers
Pickled radishes
Steamed broccoli with sesame oil
Utz potato chips

• Like 1

Fall Stout Pot Roast with Autumn Vegetables
Buttermilk mashed potatoes with tarragon and chives

The pot roast was a Geoffrey Zakarian recipe I saw him, uh, perform on Food Network. The roast itself came out really well--tender, moist, and delicious. It was large enough I had trouble managing it during the browning phase, but the final result was worth it. The amount of liquid left at the end was way more than needed for some sauce, and the pearl onions didn't cook through during the short heating time, though the peas did. Using 2 cups of each was probably also a bit much. (The idea of putting buttery peas and onions on top of the platter of meat and autumn vegetables was a good one, though, certainly from a visual standpoint.)  The sprinkling of herbs on the top of the platter also was a nice touch. I chopped up extra and used them for the mashed potatoes. So, I'd do a few things differently next time knowing what I know from making this, but it's overall a good dish.

• Like 1

Turkey meatloaf
Roasted carrots and pearl onions
Mashed potato casserole

The meatloaf was the only thing I made new. The sides were repurposed leftovers. I roasted the heated-more-than-cooked pearl onions from the pot roast meal, which worked well, since they were already coated in butter. I warmed the previously roasted carrots, cut in chunks, in a skillet, and served them mixed with the onions. I put the leftover mashed potatoes into a casserole, topped with shredded Parmesan and Swiss cheeses, homemade bread crumbs, and a little butter and put them in the oven to heat through and brown on top while the onions and meatloaf were finishing.

• Like 1

Baked thick porkchops “Tandoori style,”  which means I briefly marinated the chops in a mixture of fat-free yogurt, Tandoori spices, lemon juice, olive oil, and diced jalapeño. 

I also roasted butternut squash cubes with a bit of brown sugar, and chili salt;  and had a kale salad with leftover Cesar dressing.  

• Like 2

Red beans and rice. I used salt pork part found at shoppers food warehouse, bacon fat to saute the meat, some cubed ham steak and some fake andouille sausage. Amazing! and completely unhealthy.

• Like 1

This weekend we had leftover chili Friday night with cheese and chips, and last night I roasted fennel, carrot and onion, and served it over mashed potatoes, and topped with shredded chicken that I had made in the instant pot previously.  That is also my lunch today.

• Like 1

I've been playing around with different focaccia.

Focaccia with onions, cheese and potatoes

focaccia potato.jpg

• Like 4

That looks delightful!

Last night I used the shredded chicken I had and stuffed it into a baguette that I toasted in the oven with olive spread and Duke's mayo.  I then stuffed it with fennel and carrots that I pickled this past week with coriander seed and fennel seed and baby spinach.

• Like 2

Bacon-wrapped pork tenderlojn
Broccoli mac and cheese
Balsamic-dressed Swiss chard with pistachios and dried cranberries

Pork was done in a cast iron grill pan, initial browning on the stove and finished in the oven. The stemmed, torn chard was sauteed in some olive oil, then dressed with a little balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper, and finally tossed with the fruit and nuts. It looked festive. Getting to be that time.

I wasn't going to make nachos, which seems like such an unhealthy dinner, but I had the nacho cheese, the chips, a wee bit of chili left, a wee bit of shredded chicken left, a wee bit of salsa left, a wee bit of olive paste, banana peppers and greek yogurt.  And I hate waste, and I like nachos (so I really try to limit my consumption), so alas last night was not the greatest or worst of nachos, but I think with the processed nacho cheese it was saltier and not as good as my normal nachos with pepperjack and american cheese combo.  I also could have grilled some pepper and onion which I often do, but I didn't... oh well, it was one dinner.

Leftover turkey meatloaf
Braised green cabbage (Molly Stevens' recipe)
Whole wheat couscous with raisins and saffron

• Like 1

I had some items that needed to be used up, specifically 2 chicken breasts, a bag of small potatoes and a 1/2 cup of heavy creamy.  I boiled the potatoes then mashed them with their skins on and added some of the cream instead of milk with the butter.  Then I cut up and sauteed the chicken breasts, added some pesto and the rest of the heavy cream.  I was very happy with how it came together and tasted.  

• Like 2

Prime NY sirloin strip steak, done by the reverse sear method
Harissa-spiced chickpeas
Baked spinach (Smitten Kitchen take on Julia Child)

This meal took quite a while to make but was fantastic. Earlier in the day,  I was trying to clear out old open packages and decided to soak and cook the chickpeas. I hoped 6 hours soaking would be enough and it was. They soaked from 11:30 AM to 5:30 PM, and then were boiled in chicken broth for 2+ hours until they were done. Then I tossed them with some Cava harissa I had in the refrigerator.

The prime steak was from Costco. It was at least 1 1/2" thick. The quality of that beef is just remarkable. It came out great, despite the fact I had to get the oven temperature down 100 degrees from where it had been to bake the spinach before I put it in to do its low cooking. I checked every 10 minutes or so until the internal temperature was right (maybe 40 minutes) and then seared on both sides for several minutes each in a cast iron grill pan.

• Like 2

Thursday  I made Spaghetti Al Bianco, Hubby's favorite pasta dish, with ground turkey instead of pork.  This past weekend, I made a shrimp hot and sour soup from Better Living.  It turned out really nicely, I didn't have mushrooms and Hubby doesn't like them anyway, so I put some miso paste, which worked nicely as a substitute.  I also put a little lemongrass paste in for depth, and a few chili flakes to kick it up just a smidge.  Saturday night was leftover pasta with spinach added.  Sunday I made a pork tenderloin roast that I rubbed with ginger paste, miso paste, maple syrup, apple cider and rosemary- this was just delicious, I will do this again.  I baked it with vegetables that I drizzled a little of the extra rub on and added some olive oil, salt and pepper.  I also made a kind of version of carnitas (at least the first step in the instant pot it will go under the broiler to crisp tonight) and will make either tacos or enchiladas or something tonight.

From November 18, 2018, I picked up take away from Cagla Onal-Urel's Green Almond Pantry at Palisades Farmers Market to make my own "Little Little in the Middle".  I presented the Red Lentil Köftesi with Pomegranate and Satsuma to be wrapped with hydroponic Red Butter Lettuce.  The Romanesco Cauliflower salad is served over Smoky Eggplant spread.  The Roasted Rainbow Carrots are served over Fava Bean spread.  100% plant-based deliciousness has never tasted so good.

_for-cagla.jpg.40025df440480bee7f678757185f202d.jpg