Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

last night:

pulled pork sandwiches, using leftover Korean roasted pork shoulder, with my bbq sauce and a few drops of liquid smoke (*cheating--I know*), shredded lettuce (didn't have a chance to make coleslaw) on sesame burger buns

fresh limas cooked with eco-friendly smoked turkey leg and aromatics

mashed roasted sweet potatoes with orange zest and maple syrup

hell or high watermelon wheat beer

Boneless ribeye from Springfield Butcher (thanks to LivingSocial; liked them so much I'll happily return without coupon)

Potatoes Anna

Iceberg wedge with bacon and blue cheese dressing

Passionfruit frozen yogurt - pricey but amazing, from Arrowine

And arteriosclerosis...

Last night:

Shaved fennel and arugula salad with red wine/dijon viniagrette

Nigella Lawson's homemade tagliatelle with tomato sauce and meatballs

Negronis

Tonight:

Roasted butternut squash soup

GGG: green chile and Gruyere grilled cheese sandwiches

Leftover fennel/arugula salad

last night:

clean out the fridge vegetable soup: roasted kabocha squash, sweet potato mash, onion, leek, cauliflower, fennel bulb, carrot, parsnip, yellow zucchini, bosc pear, homemade chicken stock, aromatic herbs, white pepper, white vermouth. cooked, pureed, strained.

butter lettuce salad with tomato, cuke and gorgonzola-buttermilk dressing

bonaparte mini-baguette

Good times on the chilly patio; a shout out to waning summer vegetables.

• Sesame and fenugreek shrimp; pan-steamed
  • Potatoes cooked with chicken fat and shallot salt; grilled in foil
  • Caribbean-jerk seasoned kabobs with Jehovah Jireh Farm chicken, yellow squash, and onion
  • Grilled corn on the cob, seasoned with with thyme from the garden, shallot salt
  • Pickled banana pepper

(fall)

(on)

(me)

post-5654-0-38019800-1350040483_thumb.jp

gosht korma (lamb with poppy seeds, cashews, coconut)

aloo posto (potatoes with poppy seeds)

dal mahkni (black lentils)

gajar ka halwa (carrot-milk pudding dessert)

rice

(May those who are familiar with Indian meal planning forgive me; my goal was to use certain ingredients that had been in the pantry a long time.)

A roasted orange pepper and cherry tomato risotto with goat's brie and fresh cheeses.

Steamed Romano beans that are becoming scarce, so they were counted onto each plate. I argued that the farmer should get more, then was told I was sharecropping. <_<

"Kitchenette" cooking while the kitchen is being done has been... not as bad as I thought :huh: Last night, I made mayo chicken, which sounds gross, but it's one of those stupid simple recipes that goes along side of a mayo coupon in the Sunday paper. You just season chicken breasts, spread mayo (Duke's Light), top with parmesan and any herb of your choice-- last night I chose tarragon. It's really not bad! The mayo keeps the chicken breasts moist. Last night it was a bit overcooked because I was baking with my toaster oven and overshot the doneness a bit.

I've also resorted to Minute rice, which is dreck. I mean, absolute shit. Two bucks. Screw it. It's going in the trash. It's offensive.

Steam-in bag green beans with balsamic dressing. That one passed with a push.

last night:

muhammara* with pita chips

roasted eggplant with charmoula**

boneless chicken (1/2 of a Costco rotisserie chix) and spinach baked in Moroccan tomato sauce

basmati rice

mission fig/orange upside down cake

Cameron Hughes lot 263 (2002 tempranillo gran riserva from Ribera del Duero)

*a Moroccan roasted red pepper/walnut/spice dip that I made with hazelnuts, since I am allergic to walnuts

**a recipe from Paula Wolfert, as is the one above, charmoula is a lemon juice/olive oil/spice and fresh herb vinaigrette that is commonly used on fish. poured over hot roasted slices of eggplant in this case and served at room temp. delicious!

leftover gosht korma and aloo posto

brussels sprouts with ginger, chilies, anardana

rice

mango kulfi

Wasn't quite sure how to fit brussels sprouts into an Indian meal, but I had just gotten some anardana (dried pomegranate seeds) from the Indian grocery and thought the fruity tartness would go well with the sprouts, so I searched cookbooks for brassicas recipes to adapt. The one I found was for cauliflower stems. The adaptation turned out great.

I'm smoking some spareribs, because my friend has invited us over. It's the homecoming dance for the high school, & why should the kids have all fun? (that's actually what the invitation said). I'm going to take some pictures of my son w/ his girlfriend, & then walk a couple houses down, w/ ribs & beer, & hang out w/ my neighbors...

Friday night-- rice and beans and leftover flank steak quesadillas made on this Waring burner. The burner has been getting the job done and worth the investment for the kitchenette. The real problem has been having to share plugs with the washer and microwave and making sure nothing is on top of the washer during the spin cycle! Also, turning on the toaster oven while the microwave and washer are running and the refrigerator compressor kicks on has tripped a switch, but other than that.... :lol:

Last night-- We took a lot of help from Coscto with a rotisserie chicken (kept warm in a slow cooker) and mac and cheese (baked in this toaster oven--also a great investment for about $30). I made (Schlagel's Del Ray market) collards with Canadian bacon.

It's getting chilly enough for stew. A rare Sunday off so I simmered some beef in Guinness with onions, carrots, peas and potatoes.

I thought the same thing and made beef stew last night too. The beef was local chuck from Whole Foods and turned out to be the most tender stewing beef I can recall having in a long time. I also added onions, carrots, parsnips, and potatoes and a bottle of Pipeline Porter beer (Kona coffee porter) and some boxed beef stock.

Stew was served with biscuits and a salad of romaine, spinach, frisee, red onion, tomato, cucumber and bacon, and ranch dressing.

This past weekend I had a little get together (a small gathering of Anthropologists) and decided to try to cook as many dishes as possible.

8086437757_7d7c688e34.jpg

Daging nasi kandar, Malaysian Beef curry. A fascinating dish that uses techniques and ingredients from Indian (fried shallots, whole spices, curry leaves), Chinese (fermented black beans) and Malay (lemongrass, copious amounts of red chilli) cuisines.

8086436144_24f2a7c812.jpg

แกงกะหรี่เจ อาจาด, Thai "curry" curry (gaeng kari) vegetarian (no fish sauce) with tofu onions, potatoes, and cherry tomatoes. The recipe is (adapted) from Dave Thompson's "Thai Street Food" and is my favorite recipe for this dish. The version in the book uses prawns, it's usually made with chicken. Incidentally, my least favorite recipe for this dish is the one in Thompson's "Thai Food".

8086435786_fb20bd0b10.jpg

ส้มตำ, Som Tam, Green papaya salad, made a vegetarian and a regular (fish sauce) version

8086436387_b0e84012ae.jpg

ลาบหมู, laap mu, chopped pork salad

8086435120_78809f3c37.jpg

ไก่ทอด, gai tord, Thai style fried chicken (Chef McDang's recipe)

8086435651_69218e3abf.jpg

หมูผัดใบกะเพรา, mu pad grapao, pork stir fried with holy basil (from the garden). It's been a super prolific couple of months for holy basil in the garden. Sorry this photo is slightly blurry (because of all the hot peppers?).

8086434512_1b5f48b4f2.jpg

Gulai Kambing, Indonesian (Sumatran) lamb curry

8086434188_29d69249ab.jpg

Pebok Che, Burmese (Shan) fermented soybean and tomato relish, vegetarian.

8086433614_be74e0e8f6.jpg

To hpu thouk, Shan tofu salad. Homemade chickpea tofu from Naomi Duguid's latest cookbook, Burma: Rivers of Flavor.

8086432904_1b93bd7a39.jpg

We also had lots of sticky rice, jasmine rice, beer, wine and bourbon.

Baguette and olive oil

Meatballs Stroganoff

The Stroganoff recipe originated in Good Housekeeping, January 1961, and then was republished at some point as a best of/classic. I hadn't made it in ages and forgot how much I love this. I served it over egg noodles.

Italian cuisine purists might want to skip over this one...

Again couldn't decide what to do with the pasta, so a conflation of two dishes: carbonara and cacio e pepe. Once again I was surprised at how well this turned out. Usually when it comes to pasta dishes I'm in the "less is more" camp. In this case, more was more.

Coffee stracciatella ice cream for dessert.

Salad of red Boston lettuce, cucumber, radishes, and tomato; sherry vinaigrette

Cheez-It breaded baked chicken breasts

Steamed spinach

Mashed sweet potatoes with butter and maple syrup

I used to love Cheez-Its when I was a kid and occasionally buy them as a guilty pleasure. A while back I bought a box without realizing they now have different flavors and ended up with some that were so spicy that they were unpleasant to eat as snack crackers. I turned them into breading for chicken and that worked great. More recently, I bought the regular (having checked carefully to make sure it was the original kind) and they tasted unpleasantly sour to me. So, once again they were turned into satisfactory breading for chicken. I unfortunately bought the last batch at Costco and so have a lot to use :blink: .

I guess I'm giving up on Cheez-Its after this...

sunday night: mostly dupont market dinner with k and her bf, on their way back to NC after fall break visit to NYC

mixed salad greens from spring valley farm, toigo tomato, avocado, lemon vinaigrette

green lasagna with fresh toigo/twin springs tomato (2nds) sauce, eco-friendly hot italian sausage, roasted svf eggplant and mushroom* puree

toigo bosc pear/frangipane tart with clear spring whipped cream

2002 cameron hughes lot 263 tempranillo gran riserva ribera del duero

*crimini, hen-of-the-woods, porcini powder

That sounds delicious, & like something I'd want to cook-where does your daughter go to school in NC? My son is a high school senior, & looking at lots of schools, hoping he can narrow it down...right now, he is going to a field hockey game, supporting his GF, Mt. Vernon Major ladies in the regional field hockey championships, Go Majors!

Last night:

Amish* dinner rolls

Baby bok choy soup with mushrooms

Rotisserie chicken from Costco

Steamed green beans

*Purchased from one of the Amish vendors outside Eastern Market on Tuesdays. They were big and puffy and were nice reheated along with the chicken. After I purchased them, I noticed that the ingredients label listed margarine. That surprised me, since I associate Amish cooking/baking with butter. That's what I get for purchasing first and reading the label second . The green beans were from the same vendor.

Most Amish products I've purchased/looked at all list margarine. Wonder why.

not an Amish expert, but here are some possible reasons:

1. margarine is cheaper than butter.

2. to elaborate on #1: cream/butter is sold for profit, and earns more as a commodity than as an ingredient in commercial baked goods.

3. it has become traditional, because margarine keeps better at room temperature in homes without electric refrigeration.

4. the resulting products are then pareve and thus would appeal to observant Jews who don't mix meat and dairy in the same meal.

The commissary at Ft. Belvoir has dropped Boar's Head products, in favor of Thumann's-I'm trying out salami & smoked turkey on a pretzel bun, albeit w/ BH deli mustard...the kids had more normal meals-chicken/shrimp, penne, steamed broccoli, & salad.

wednesday:

TJ's fresh wheat noodles in shrimp stock-miso broth with poached salmon, shrimp, spinach, savoy cabbage, kim chee, green onions, cilantro and go ju jang sauce

last night:

steamed artichokes with harissa-ginger mayonnaise

herb brined, spice-rubbed charcoal roasted chicken

puree of roasted kabocha squash with orange zest and maple syrup

green beans

last night:

spiced lamb meatballs in a tagine of roasted sweet peppers (and a ripe jalapeño), onions, garlic, tomato, freshly shucked garbanzos and roasted eggplant, fresh mint, cilantro, parsley and dill

afghan flatbread

cucumbers in yogurt

this morning I took some of the leftover tagine, minus the meat, and made shakshouka: baked it in a small cocotte--when it was hot I cracked in a couple of eggs and baked it until the eggs were set. Ate it with toasted flatbread and coffee. breakfast of champignons.

currently in the oven for dinner tonite: braised boneless shortribs

Last night was quick-and-dirty Indian with aloo methi (couldn't resist the gorgeous methi leaves at Super H) and "fiery eggplant relish" (from Julie Sahni's book) scooped up with papad.

Tonight was a salad of romaine and spinach with apple, walnuts, Roquefort, and dried cranberries in a sherry vinaigrette. Lightening up in anticipation of tomorrow's picnic. :)

last night:

spiced lamb meatballs in a tagine of roasted sweet peppers (and a ripe jalapeño), onions, garlic, tomato, freshly shucked garbanzos and roasted eggplant, fresh mint, cilantro, parsley and dill

afghan flatbread

cucumbers in yogurt

this morning I took some of the leftover tagine, minus the meat, and made shakshouka: baked it in a small cocotte--when it was hot I cracked in a couple of eggs and baked it until the eggs were set. Ate it with toasted flatbread and coffee. breakfast of champignons.

currently in the oven for dinner tonite: braised boneless shortribs

Dinner last night: Lamb meatballs in tzatziki and beef meatballs with spaghetti

Dinner tonight: Shakshouka

It seems like a soup evening. Spinach and chickpea soup, spiced with smoked paprika, topped with crushed tortilla chips and goat milk "cheddar", eaten to the tune of failing transformers and washed down with a sidecar. Cripes. I grew up in Florida, and I hate these things. They just last too long.

I love it when bad weather gives me the chance to stay inside and cook. Yesterday lunch was a soup of green split peas with fennel, winter savory, and a little ham. Dinner was macaroni and cheese and a dish of brussels sprouts and chestnuts. Dinner tonight 100% chance of braised meat; yet tbd beef or lamb and which continent will inspire me. But I'm thinking lamb vindaloo.

I love it when bad weather gives me the chance to stay inside and cook. Yesterday lunch was a soup of green split peas with fennel, winter savory, and a little ham. Dinner was macaroni and cheese and a dish of brussels sprouts and chestnuts. Dinner tonight 100% chance of braised meat; yet tbd beef or lamb and which continent will inspire me. But I'm thinking lamb vindaloo.

I enjoy doing that too. We have leftovers to use, though, so I can't come up with too many long cooking projects this time. Yesterday lunch was leftovers from the picnic (fried chicken and agm's ribs; slivers of Barbara's pumpkin cheesecake and LaShanta's pumpkin trifle for dessert) and macaroni and cheese with broccoli.

Dinner was a baby spinach salad with bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, cucumber, celery, and radishes and creamy poppy dressing; leftover lamb meatballs and couscous; and what I call a "vegetable-bacon medley." I had a lot of bacon to use, so some went into the salad and some went into the cooked vegetables. The medley is green beans, carrots, onions, and bacon with red wine vinegar. Bacon gets cooked first and set aside to drain. The chopped onion gets cooked in the bacon fat while the vegetables boil or steam, and then everything all gets tossed back into the original bacon pan. Season with s+p and the vinegar and serve.

I'm not sure what's for dinner tonight, since I made part of what I was going to make for dinner for breakfast.

I wish we had an Amish expert. Most Amish products I've purchased/looked at all list margarine. Wonder why.

To be quite honest a lot of Amish use typical ingredients to us, but ones you wouldn't think are quite as rustic as you would possibly think amish would use. I remember having mayonaise and miracle whip, tang and iced animal cookies when I was young. (I grew up with an Amish nanny who I stayed with until I was school age and then during Summers.) Especially the ones from sects around this area that aren't Lancaster. A lot of the sects are a lot more modern these days than you would think, a lot have washing machines, cell phones, etc. They typically buy bulk products from the grocery for baking because well that is cheaper. And making butter takes a lot of time, generally they do either sell that or keep that for personal use on bread and etc, not for baking because they typically do a HUGE amount of baking. Also many of the "Amish" products you buy are actually Mennonite, some are Amish, but a lot are Mennonite. My Amish nanny used stick butter for baking as I remember. They do typically use full fat milk because they will be drawing it from their tank if they have a dairy farm. She also typically had lard, but also used Crisco for baking from time to time. Anyway just a comment.

Dinner Sunday night was spaghetti with meat sauce, then made white bean soup for lunch Monday, baked some cookies, dinner was steak, parmesan and potato torte, salad with homemade dressing. Today I think I will start a pot roast for dinner. Need to find a good recipe.

Pot roast- I didn't have onions, mushrooms or shallots... so braised on shortribs in stock/red wine. Added some carrots, celery and garlic. Will have it with left over potato torte and some crescent rolls stuffed with baked apples. So far seems to taste ok, added a bunch of herbs. Only have cabbage, a small amount of lettuce, a head of broccoli and a lemon left as far as fresh veggies.

gosht posto (lamb with a roasted poppy seed sauce and whole spices)

malai waale dhingri mutter (mushrooms and peas in fenugreek cream sauce)

kashmiri dum aloo

basmati rice

Each one of these dishes was fantastic on its own, but together as a meal not so succesful; too many intense, complex flavors in each one, so they fought with each other.

Whoever recommended 660 Curries (a year or so ago), thank you. It's a great cookbook.

Tuesday night:

Baby spinach salad with bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, avocado, cucumber, celery, and radishes; creamy poppy dressing

Mushroom quesadillas

Last night:

Leftover baby spinach salad

Curried turkey salad sandwich on whole wheat toast

Has anyone made the Welsh Rabbit recipe from Nigel Slater's Ripe? It seems like there's a step missing, maybe - are you supposed to heat the cream first? It's an odd recipe and if there's a misprint I'd like to know before I ruin tonight's dinner.

I haven't made it, but I just looked at the recipe, and I think you are right. The cream needs to be heated. Since there is a warning not to mix it too much lest the cheese and cream "sieze" and it is later described as a sauce before broiling, neither of those descriptors would be accurate if the cream and cheese were both cold when mixed together. The cream needs to be hot enough to melt the cheese and turn it into a sauce.

Always rely on common sense when reading recipes in cookbooks and elsewhere. You'd like to believe that there is competent editing involved, but unfortunately that may not always be the case.