Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

How'd it turn out? Were we right about the cream needing to be heated?

Definitely right about heating the cream, and it turned out great. I'm bummed to have discovered this recipe, because it is dangerous: absurdly simple + highly caloric = fat porcupines.

fwiw I grated the cheese as finely as possible so that it would melt quickly. The only seasoning in it (besides salt and pepper) is mustard, which I left out (added a bit of nutmeg instead). The result is a rather sweet main course. Next time I make it I might play around with other spices/herbs/something to balance it a bit. Or use fennel instead of apple. Or a few slivers of ham...

My previous go-to Welsh rabbit recipe is from Craig Claiborne's The New New York Times Cookbook. That is a very fussy but delicious recipe (made with beer, paprika, and egg).

two bags of freshly shucked lima beans from Arlington Courthouse market became a slow cooked hearty soup with a generous mirepoix and aromatics, an eco-friendly smoked turkey thigh, and crimini mushrooms, which were tossed in for the last fifteen minutes. starter was a lettuce salad with ripe bosc pear, crumbled stilton, pine nuts, a balsamic vinaigrette. and Atwater Bakery sunflower-flax toast.

2010 La Caña albarino

Baby spinach salad (mushrooms, bacon, feta, parsley, and hard-boiled eggs; red wine vinaigrette)

London broil

Leftover mashed potatoes

I hadn't made London Broil in ages, and it came out really well. I had defrosted a 1 lb. piece of top round roast a couple days before thinking I'd use it for pot roast, but then I changed my mind. I marinated the meat in a mixture of Worcestershire, soy sauce, orange olive oil, orange juice, toasted dried minced onions, and salt and pepper for a few hours. The beef was about an inch thick, so pretty much a perfect size for this. Medium rare, sliced thinly against the grain, it was delicious and tender. Perfect with creamy mashed potatoes.

Bowl of mostly green soup: leeks, carrots, cutting celery, potatoes, thyme, sorrel, lacinato kale, parsley, cilantro and spinach

Warm triple gingerbread (including young ginger from Next Step), dollop of Greek-style yogurt and chilled quince slow-roasted w an apple

Comfort food!

Definitely right about heating the cream, and it turned out great. I'm bummed to have discovered this recipe, because it is dangerous: absurdly simple + highly caloric = fat porcupines.

fwiw I grated the cheese as finely as possible so that it would melt quickly. The only seasoning in it (besides salt and pepper) is mustard, which I left out (added a bit of nutmeg instead). The result is a rather sweet main course. Next time I make it I might play around with other spices/herbs/something to balance it a bit. Or use fennel instead of apple. Or a few slivers of ham...

My previous go-to Welsh rabbit recipe is from Craig Claiborne's The New New York Times Cookbook. That is a very fussy but delicious recipe (made with beer, paprika, and egg).

---> Does Porcupine loathe mustard? I think so.

Last night was a one pot meal inspired by thoughts of Hoppin' John: Fresh black-eyed peas (from an outside vendor at Eastern Market on Tuesday), bacon, shallots, rice, escarole and kale (also from an outside vendor on Tuesday).

Saturday:

Salad of red leaf lettuce, romaine, radishes, Campari tomatoes, and cucumber

Leftover Hoppin’ John

Brussel sprouts hash with fried sage and soft cooked eggs; Parmesan and truffle cheese

Yesterday:

Chicken breasts baked with Zora's bbq sauce

Leftover macaroni and cheese

Leftover Brussel sprouts hash

Tonight:

Red leaf lettuce, avocado, cucumber, Campari tomato, red bell pepper, feta, and mixed olive salad with lime vinaigrette

Beefy mushroom soup

Leftover meatloaf

Leftover fried pierogies

Vegetable soup, made with fennel and mushroom broths, carrots, celery, potatoes, corn (frozen last August), tiny plum tomatoes (frozen last August), rosemary and winter savory; poached egg on top. (Experimenting with allium-free foods.) Rosemary bread from Firehook. Apple crisp for dessert.

dinner with visiting cousins:

jamon iberico

mild radishes with butter, baguette slices

steamed artichokes with harissa mayonnaise

2009 simonnet-febvre chablis premier cru

eco-friendly rack of suckling pig, herb brined and applewood smoked over charcoal

my bbq sauce

collard greens stewed with eco-friendly smoked pork jowl

anson mills grits

2002 cameron hughes lot 263 ribera del duero

avocado chocolate mousse with raspberries

espresso

la veille prune (aged French plum brandy)

Last night, risotto with roasted tomatoes (no freeze yet chez Perry) and goat's cheese, and tonight will be spaghetti with romesco sauce. I thought I went for carbs before, but cycling in the cold weather has me craving them terribly.

Gah. I am roasting tomatoes as we speak, and now I realize that I want goat cheese to go with them! Guess hubby is going to the store...

We cycled this morning and froze our rear ends off (it was abnormally cold in ATL today). It was low mileage, thank goodness, but we are definitely in need of some winter bike gear!

Dinner preparation is in progress:

Roasted radicchio and pear salad with prosciutto, truffle cheese, toasted pistachios, and caper - champagne vinaigrette

Mushroom - herb omelette

Home fries with onion, pepper, and bacon

Earlier this week I made some things from Naomi Duguid's new cookbook "Burma Rivers of Flavor" (my fourth Burmese cookbook!). Chicken aloo (gaeng gai aloo) from the Shan people who speak a Tai language and are ethnically related to the Thai, hence the name. Gaeng gai means chicken curry in Thai, but aloo is Hindi for potato (the Thai word is man farang, foreign yam). It actually tasted more Burmese than Thai. I also made "tender greens with crispy fried shallots", as well as some crispy chicken skin (a la Danny Bowein). As always, served with copious amounts of jasmine rice.

8194797158_4a926d10bc.jpg

Later in the week I made tender greens with crispy fried shallots again, this time with some greens from Great Wall (don't go to that parking lot on a holiday) and "minced chicken with galangal and tomato" which was great. (and rice)

8193702223_c0ee090722.jpg

Last night we had green papaya salad, some raw vegetables, red curry with salmon and pineapple, soup with pickled mustard greens, Thai omelet with siracha sauce and fish sauce with chillies.

8193652377_0fd18d1193.jpg

You know what, Fishinnards, you make the best dishes! I visited Thai Ghang Waan for lunch this week, & was disappointed that I couldn't get catfish yum for lunch, I got my standards- larb gai (which was great) & gai pad ka prow ( same as most Thai restaurants)-I hope the folks that get to eat your meals appreciate them....

We cycled this morning and froze our rear ends off (it was abnormally cold in ATL today). It was low mileage, thank goodness, but we are definitely in need of some winter bike gear!

OT for food, but Gore Bike wear with windstopper is the best stuff I've ever tried. It's pricey, but Amazon has some really good deals on closeouts. I bought a few things just to try them out and I am never going back.

Cuisse de canard au chou

Turnips roasted in duck fat

Pinot noir

Memorably wretched. Recipe from Williams-Sonoma website. Should have continued search for solid advice on braising a weighty leg instead of selecting a recipe that calls for roasting it. Interesting flavors in spice rub and sauce, but despite adjustments made in timing and execution, the leg dried out before the skin browned. Not even that nice crisp, crackled skin one gets w roasted duck. Farmers market ducks are notoriously leaner critters, but I should have seared the leg and roasted it for much less time.

^I tried roasting a famers' market chicken a few nights ago, and "memorably wretched" it was, too. I served it with new potatoes pan fried in butter with parsley, and radicchio (the last from my garden) sauteed with fennel and apple. The latter dish was by far the best thing on the table that night.

K arrived today with her b.f. and helped me some in the kitchen with T-day and dinner prep. I made her favorite dish, now that she has returned to the omnivorous fold. she and J. told me it was the best I'd ever made.

steamed artichokes served at room temp. with harissa mayonnaise

osso buco with gremolata

risotto milanese

pear streusel tart with creme chantilly

Cameron Hughes lot 336 2010 Rutherford cabernet--this was fabulous. so sorry I only bought one bottle, Costco is sold out.

Last night was chicken wings (the last remaining part of a Costco rotisserie chicken) and spicy squid and chickpea salad.The salad originated from this book, which I bought despite the mixed reviews of it on Amazon. This is the first thing I've made from it. The squid and chickpeas complemented each other nicely, and it all looked beautiful on the platter topped with freshly toasted breadcrumbs. I didn't make the dressing from the recipe, though, since I still had a lot of balsamic tarragon dressing left from this excellent green salad I made recently from the 101 Cookbooks blog. My only concern was that the tarragon from that dressing might clash with the marjoram in the salad--I couldn't recall combining the two before--but they coexisted harmoniously on the plate.

We had lazy second Thanksgiving dinner yesterday. Azami had bought a package of turkey thighs for the takikomi gohan that we took to his family's dinner, so I roasted what I hadn't used with a compound butter of sage, thyme, and parsley. Dark meat poultry doesn't sit well with Azami, so he'd taken some white meat and a few slices of ham during the great leftover packing after the family dinner. He'd also secured some dressing, gravy, and green bean casserole, which we had as sides. I made cornbread, cranberry sauce with ginger and Bosc pear, and maple-pumpkin custards, in addition to the roast turkey thighs.

Last night, a vegetarian fall meal:

Herbed sweet potato biscuits and butter

Tortellini Pumpkin Alfredo

For some reason, I have much better luck making sweet potato biscuits than regular ones. These came out great. The pasta was good but I think I'd probably tweak it to cut down on the amount of heavy cream when making it again.

I'd also planned to make a salad but was running late and just didn't feel like it...

Pat, you've just added fuel to my fiery craving for cappellacci, square pasta filled with sweet potatoes and cheese. My mother used to make it, and I thought it was some Italian-American southwest Pennsylvania immigrant sort of thing until I found a recipe for it in one of Marcella Hazan's books.

Pat, you've just added fuel to my fiery craving for cappellacci, square pasta filled with sweet potatoes and cheese. My mother used to make it, and I thought it was some Italian-American southwest Pennsylvania immigrant sort of thing until I found a recipe for it in one of Marcella Hazan's books.

Aha. I don't think I've heard of that before. I looked and found the recipe too. More work than using store bought pasta like I did, but it looks like a worthy project. Thanks :)

- thick fresh icelandic cod from the bethesda farmer's market started on stovetop and finished in the oven; simply seasoned

- thinly sliced sweet potato chips with sea salt

- mixed greens from dupont with a mustard vinaigrette

- roast baby brussel sprouts (also from dupont) with the momofuku sauce done with red boat

Really tough to consistently cook fish perfectly. I know, I know. Super obvious point. Used this same fish last weekend and it was perfect and wonderful. Today, a bit too done. Undaunted. Will look for a topic on this since no doubt it has come up a few times before. ;)

I don't know what possessed me to make such a big meal last night...

Mixed green salad with frisee, cucumber, Campari tomatoes, and radishes; balsamic tarragon vinaigrette

Sweet potato biscuits and butter

Roasted salmon with harissa mayonnaise

Couscous

Roasted yellow beets

Broccoli cheese casserole

Asian fusion noodle bowl;

TJ's fresh wheat flour noodles

miso broth based on smoked turkey stock

pork tenderloin (marinated in dark soy, rice vinegar, roasted sesame oil, honey, sambal, ginger, garlic, scallions, cilantro and fresh lime juice) then sliced, pan grilled and glazed in gojujang sauce, topped with sesame seeds

steamed baby bok choy

daikon kim chee

TJ's dried sea weed salad

Sierra Nevada tumbler ale