JPW

Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

Balsamic glazed chicken with rice and grilled endive.

edit to add -- forgot steamed asparagus

Chicken with a wine-sundried tomato sauce, brown rice, and roast asparagus.

Great minds think alike. :lol:

I bought a roast chicken from Eastern Market which I will be consuming all week over various salad greens and raw veggies.

Last night was spent at Maria's Bakery and Cafe in Rockville. Yeap, I'm there at least once a week feeding my HK diner jones.

We had:

Milk tea

Wonton Lo Mein

Fresh Veg w/ Oyster sauce

Baked Portugese Chicken with Rice

Strawberry Cake

'Twas, as always, great comfort food for me. I had the leftovers today for breakfast/lunch.

Last night we finally got around to eating the goat purchased at Mt. P. market the previous week. We slathered it with a homemade caribbean curry mix (hot!) and initially cooked on Saturday (I was a little concerned because it was tough, tough tough after hours of cooking so we went to Radius). It was served with coconut rice (1st try at this and wow it's yummy and easy), pigeon peas, fried plantains and mango. Another 3 hours cooking low and slow did the trick for the goat texture.

Chix quesadillas with Monday night's leftovers.

Last nights dinner was sponsored by the letter "J."

Grilled porterhouse with roasted asparagus and blue cheese mashed potatoes. (Sorry about the photo quality. Twas a cameracellphone.)

picture0121bw.jpg

Thanks to Jill, from Cheesetique, for the Crater Lake Blue that was in the potatoes.

Thanks to my co-worker Joyce for the asparagus from her friend's yard.

Thanks to Jake, jparrot, for the Monterosso De Franchi 2001 Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot blend from Stellenbosch.

Edited by CrescentFresh

Me and the girls headed to a Chinese-American joint on Capital Hill SE last night near the Ugly Mug. We were looking for something cheap and filling. Being underpaid forces you to do that, ya know...

Lo and behold, a restaurant run by Cantonese people! (it's rare nowadays - seems like alot of Chinese-American joints are run by non-Cantonese people) We had:

chicken and corn chowder

baby shrimp chow fun

roast pork with mixed veggies

The soup wasn't bad - not too much cornstarch and had a decent amount of chicken and corn. The roast pork with mixed veggies was good - firm veggies and nice roast pork. The chow fun could've been done better - it was just mixed together and not "chowed".

And the chile oil blew my brains out. Holy crap!

Last night's dinner was at JPW's Thai Home Eatery

Pork larb - absolutely exquisite. The chef has really perfected this dish

Cucumber salad with salty sweet lime dressing - not bad but nothing special

Chix stir fry with chinese broccoli and bamboo shoots - nicely done and just the right amount of heat. Could have used a little bit more sauce as the bamboo shoots are thirsty little bastards.

Last night's dinner was at JPW's Thai Home Eatery

Pork larb - absolutely exquisite. The chef has really perfected this dish

Cucumber salad with salty sweet lime dressing - not bad but nothing special

Chix stir fry with chinese broccoli and bamboo shoots - nicely done and just the right amount of heat. Could have used a little bit more sauce as the bamboo shoots are thirsty little bastards.

Have you taught Peanut how to use chopsticks yet?

Edited by FunnyJohn

Oh, yes and do tell which end of the chopsticks she grasped first.

If she went for the bottom part, it means she'll marry someone from nearby - if she grasped the top part, it means she'll marry someone from far away.

Old wives' tale but cute nonetheless...

Have you taught Peanut how to use chopsticks yet?

Generally do Thai food, so no chopsticks yet.

I'll have to remember Gastro's little which end she grabs thing

Forgot mention if she waps you on the head with said chopsticks, you're going to have a REALLY expensive wedding to pay for...

Dinner last night was leftover shrimp with lobster sauce made by my father. Best cook in the world, my pappy is.

Tonight I have kal bi on the menu!!! Yippy!

I did Shaking Beef (scroll down about 1/3 of the page to see recipe) from Charles Phan of the Slanted Door in San Francisco. I really didn't like the restaurant when we were there, but this dish is very nice.

shakingbeef9nk.jpg

Oooh, bilrus, that looks good.

One question though - I noticed the recipe didn't have sesame oil listed as an ingredient. Did you feel the lack of it affected the taste? I find it a little odd that it's not used. (Of course, this could be just me as I am a sesame oil addict. I put it in my ramen noodles!)

Oooh, bilrus, that looks good.

One question though - I noticed the recipe didn't have sesame oil listed as an ingredient. Did you feel the lack of it affected the taste? I find it a little odd that it's not used. (Of course, this could be just me as I am a sesame oil addict. I put it in my ramen noodles!)

I didn't notice it missing one way or another, but when you mention it, a little sesame oil would be good in this, maybe in the marinade for the beef.

Try it next time and let me know how it is. It just seemed really odd that there was no sesame oil. Borderline sacreligious!

A bit late, but the memories remain nonetheless ...... Sunday after hitting Dupont and Eastern markets, I was obviously hungry so we went to Belga Cafe. Mussels and frites and wine while others ate breakfast - haha. Monday - larp kai, Tuesday - spinach and feta chicken sausages, and tonight - soft shell crabs

Courtesy of the Arlington Farmer's Market. Aside from a bit of goat cheese and my dijon vinagrette, everything for dinner came from the market this morning (eggs, lettuce, maitake mushrooms, spring onions):

omelette8oq.jpg

Bill, that omelet looks delicious.

After gorging at the picnic yesterday all I had room for was some nonfat Total yogurt with a handful of walnuts and a drizzle of honey.

On the menu tonight - spaghetti with Italian sausage and meatballs. Mmmmmmmm.

After gorging at the picnic yesterday all I had room for was some nonfat Total yogurt with a handful of walnuts and a drizzle of honey. 

You ate!? Impressive. I'm wondering what I can do with all the left overs. Come home for dinner tonight kids! Edited by crackers

Sausage and kale with penne a la Mario. He suggests making your own stinging nettle pasta, but I was just too god damned tired.

As a side note -- My copy of Simple Italian Food is almost RIP; binder falling apart, pages falling out. I have yet to try a recipe from this book that needs tweaking. And as any cookbook addict knows, that is VERY unusual.

A savory bread pudding made with leftover bread from the picnic and layered with mozarella, roasted eggplant, garlic and basil.

post-24-1116936315_thumb.jpg

Sausage and kale with penne a la Mario. He suggests making your own stinging nettle pasta, but I was just too god damned tired.

As a side note -- My copy of Simple Italian Food is almost RIP; binder falling apart, pages falling out. I have yet to try a recipe from this book that needs tweaking. And as any cookbook addict knows, that is VERY unusual.

Didn't make your own pasta? On a weeknight? After working all day? How dare you! :lol:

Funny about the cookbook. I much prefer the Babbo book - gave Simple Italian Food away.

Edited by Heather