Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Sunday with Mom. 

T-Bone steak on the grill, green beans (steamed a bit, then tossed in olive oil and finished on the grill in a foil packet), simple salad of lettuce, tomato and cucumber. 

Note:  I picked up the tomato at a local grocery store near my mother’s house where it was labeled “slicing tomato.” It was the BEST tomato I have had all season! Later in the evening we both had tomato sandwiches. 

• Like 1

I am back from my travels and trying to establish a more regular cooking routine.  Last night I made a stir fry with cubes of lean pork marinated in sesame oil, hot chile  oil, soy sauce, garlic, ginger garlic paste, and five spice powder.  The vegetables were sliced red and yellow peppers, jalapeño pepper, and half of one of those “power mix” bagged salads (cabbage, kale, Brussels sprouts, kohlrabi, carrots, etc.).  I wanted just cabbage but my regular grocery store cabbages looked pathetic and were super expensive.  I finished it off with a little bit more soy sauce and about a half teaspoon of Thai chili garlic sauce.  I served it on jasmine rice that comes in convenient microwavable bags from Trader Joe’s.  Happily, there will be leftovers for today.

And because I was eating alone, with no one to judge me, I also made a small Caesar salad using anchovy paste in the dressing instead of  anchovy fillets on the salad.   

• Like 1

Seared tuna pepper medallions with caramelized red onions on onion rolls
Rigatoni with Brussels Sprouts, Bacon, and Arugula

I have not made this old Seared Tuna Pepper Steaks recipe from Bon Appetit in a while. It dates back to 1999, and is an old favorite. I was looking to use the last two onion rolls I had, wanted an additional protein for the meal and thought of tuna. While I was at Harris Teeter for something else, I decide to see if they had fresh tuna, and they did (well, thawed from frozen). They were labelled "medallions" rather than steaks, but that size made them a better fit for the onion rolls. And they turned out to be on sale.

I wasn't sure what to put on the sandwiches and hit upon caramelizing a red onion I had in the pantry. I reduced the sauce for the tuna way down, tossed the caramelized onions in it, and used a tangle of them to top each piece of fish on the bun. These were quite good.

The pasta dish, a recipe from the Battersby cookbook, was also good, but I used the full measure of chicken stock in it and should have gone lighter. It was a little too saucy.

• Like 1

Last night I roasted a chicken, seasoning it with salt, pepper, and lemon juice, then barding with top with smoked bacon, and stuffing a mix of herbs (tarragon, thyme, and rosemary) in the cavity. I surrounded the chicken with quartered onions. Late in the roasting time, I removed the bacon, which was thoroughly cooked by then, and basted the chicken with some hard cider I had left from another preparation.

Beyond the chicken, bacon, and onions, the rest of the meal was freshly-baked zucchini-corn muffins (nice seasonal transition, that); steamed broccoli; and farro with sun-dried tomatoes.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pat said:

Last night I roasted a chicken, seasoning it with salt, pepper, and lemon juice, then barding with top with smoked bacon, and stuffing a mix of herbs (tarragon, thyme, and rosemary) in the cavity. I surrounded the chicken with quartered onions. Late in the roasting time, I removed the bacon, which was thoroughly cooked by then, and basted the chicken with some hard cider I had left from another preparation.

Beyond the chicken, bacon, and onions, the rest of the meal was freshly-baked zucchini-corn muffins (nice seasonal transition, that); steamed broccoli; and farro with sun-dried tomatoes.

A tip I got from the NYT recipe section: Put  a slice of stale bread or two under  the chicken . Between the drippings and the  baste you get a nice, soggy, very flavorful crouton to have on the side.

• Like 2

Last night was a pork tenderloin, done on the stovetop in a cast iron skillet. I used the leftover dry rub on it from when I made porchetta-spiced pork shoulder. That also got some hard cider splashed into the skillet during its browning.

I roasted a lot of vegetables (broccoli, brussels sprouts, asparagus, and multi-colored carrots) to go with it.  I made the tahini glaze from this NYT recipe and used it over an assortment of the vegetables.

We had more zucchini-corn muffins.

• Like 1

Tonight was venison, beef burgers, honey sriracha slaw, grilled potato wedges, and our guests made a really nice apple crisp with ice cream.  

Last night was a pork tenderloin, stuffed with garlic, herbs, basted with a mustard, truffle sauce.  On the side was mashed potatoes and butternut squash on the grill that was marinated with lemon, oil and white balsamic vinegar. 

• Like 2

Sunday was beef stew, romaine and tomato salad with vinaigrette, and more zucchini corn muffins.

Tuesday we had roasted delicata squash halves stuffed with leftover farro and roasted vegetables, topped with toasted bread crumbs and Parmesan, plus chicken salad rolls in the style of lobster rolls.

Last night was turkey meatballs in gravy over wide egg noodles, topped with parsley. We also had Paesano bread I found on sale at Whole Foods, with butter. Real comfort food before watching October baseball.

• Like 1

Last night I made lamb adapted from this NY Times recipe for leg of lamb with lemon salsa verde. The piece of butterflied leg of lamb I bought on sale at Whole Foods was 1 1/2 lbs, so I scaled the rest of the recipe back.

I couldn't find preserved lemons at Harris Teeter so followed a Bittman recipe I'd used before to make my own quick preserved lemon. Not quite the same thing but works in a pinch. I made a half batch because there's no way I'm using all of it in a week.

The lamb and salsa came out pretty well. I also put out some leftover tahini sauce I'd made previously to go with roasted vegetables. That was good with the meat as well.  I served this with braised kale that I tossed with some fig chutney I'd picked up for $3 off. I came across it while scouring the store for preserved lemons and figured it would work somehow with the meal. It was great mixed in with the kale.

We also had more Paesano bread with a variety of cheeses and some olives.

• Like 2

Since I'm paying for the NYT Cooking subscription, I've been making a lot of those recipes (in case anyone was wondering why I've been making so many of those). Last night was Spicy Rice Noodles with Crispy Tofu and Spinach.  It was pretty good, but I think my husband liked it more than I did. I'd make it again just because he liked it so much. It took longer to make than indicated, but I'm kind of slow getting things done. Wilting the spinach before adding would be a good idea instead of putting it in completely raw.  This would also be good with some peanuts added. I had some honey roasted ones I thought about putting in at the end, but then I forgot...

• Like 1

I've been hanging out on Instagram despite saying I'd never join...d'oh!

Anyway, here's pix from this weekend's cooking

3esTOXwf.jpg.8b44a9cfcebb327e6eebec3a202fd820.jpg

Orzo perlato con legumi e cozze

75 g dried chickpeas
75 g dried heirloom beans from Rancho Gordo
75 g dried cannellini beans from Iacopi Farms
125 g cooked cranberry beans
1.5 liters water
1 onion, peeled and diced
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
3 celery stalks, diced
150 g cherry tomatoes, halved
6 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil + extra for garnish
60 g pearl barley
2 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper chile flakes
1 kg mussels, cleaned
25 g Italian parsley, minced

L62FYDq6.jpg.e6cde3928cbb739af4d6ab504fc689da.jpg

Orecchiette con broccoli e acciughe

nbjb2PMO.jpg.04e59c10a555e4b5971de1954b762675.jpg

Meatballs and tomato sauce

The recipe for this is in this thread - this version was 600 g ground pork and a higher than normal quantity of mint and parsley which accounts for the green flecks in the photo, but everything else is the same.

nGvotKHk.jpg.46a2e449b00fb2813f71f1b6f8bbdd5d.jpg

Insalata di uva e pomodoro

All photos were taken on an iPhone. I have had to seriously reconsider my bias against iPhone food photography. It's a little more tech than I prefer but I'll get over it eventually.

• Like 2

Well man, I went into beast mode this past weekend for Autumn Glory.  I made: 10 batches of cookies, 5 dozen empanadas, 3 dozen mini ham sandwiches, 4.5 dozen pepperoni rolls, I sliced cheese and meats. I pretty much went house to house prepping for large dinners or parties for people.   

Last night I had an odd craving for broccoli salad, so I made one with red onion, gouda, baked salami (I didn't have thawed bacon), greek yogurt ranch/mayo/vinegar dressing and sunflower seeds.  I know weird craving, but I literally ate a bowl of broccoli salad for dinner and was really happy.  I am going into fall redux, and I joined Weight Watchers for 3 months, so my dinners might get a little boring.  Tonight was terriyaki salmon with riced cauliflower stir fry from TJs. It was so few calories I got to ball out and have a snack of goldfish crackers. 

• Like 3

Sunday I made a pot roast with button and oyster mushrooms, plus mashed potatoes. I think there was also salad and bread, but I don't recall now. I made my own onion soup mix and did a foil-wrapped pot roast in the oven. I used to make pot roast this way a lot. It's real simple and comes out great, but the soup mix has a ton of sodium in it, so I stopped making it. I crushed one small beef bouillon cubs into my mixture, but that was it for added sodium. In and of itself, the bouillon cube has a fairly high amount but a fraction of the amount in commercial onion soup mix. The mixture made enough for at least one more roast and possibly two.

After two nights out, last night was leftover lamb and kale as well as curry-roasted cauliflower and brussels sprouts.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Pat said:

Sunday I made a pot roast with button and oyster mushrooms, plus mashed potatoes. I think there was also salad and bread, but I don't recall now. I made my own onion soup mix and did a foil-wrapped pot roast in the oven. I used to make pot roast this way a lot. It's real simple and comes out great, but the soup mix has a ton of sodium in it, so I stopped making it. I crushed one small beef bouillon cubs into my mixture, but that was it for added sodium. In and of itself, the bouillon cube has a fairly high amount but a fraction of the amount in commercial onion soup mix. The mixture made enough for at least one more roast and possibly two.

After two nights out, last night was leftover lamb and kale as well as curry-roasted cauliflower and brussels sprouts.

A foil roasted pot roast.  That is a blast from the past.  What great flavor...and the most important part---ridiculously easy.  An old favorite of mine.

Cauliflower Crust Pizza with Mixed Vegetables

(Didn't plan to cook tonight but needed a desperate, last-minute, quick solution.  Wow this worked.)

The base was a Whole Foods Cauliflower Pizza Crust*.

Brushed crust with olive oil, placed on cooking sheet, put in 425 oven for 7 minutes (per box directions).

Chopped a bunch of fresh vegetables---baby zucchini, mushrooms, "Wild Wonders Gourmet Medley" cherry/cocktail tomatoes, purple onion.  Mixed diced veg with olive oil, dried Italian herbs, Trader Joe's (TJ) umami seasoning, fresh lemon juice and a touch of TJ Aioli Garlic Mustard Sauce.

As cooked crust sat on a large plate to cool, dumped seasoned veg onto hot sheet pan.  Cooked at 425 for 6 or 7 minutes.

Topped hot crust with thinly sliced mozzarella cheese sticks.  Desperate times call for desperate cheese measures.

Added cooked veg to crust, which was hot enough to begin melting the cheese.

Embarrassingly inhaled 3/4 of the deeply satisfying pizza.  The lonely leftover slice perked up beautifully this morning under a sunny side egg, with freshly cracked pepper waking up the flavors to kick-start my rain-addled brain.

*Anybody else find this product strangely awesome?  I will be keeping one in my freezer, a super way to clean the fridge of any bits-o-this-and-that on a minute's notice.

Desperapizza.jpg.8baf438873b6876433ecd404ffd3f688.jpg

• Like 5

Mushroom soup* leftover from 7th Hill takeout, topped with freshly sauteed brown beech mushrooms and minced parsley
Skinless boneless chicken thighs done via homemade shake 'n bake method**
Linguine in white wine sauce***
Buttered peas

*The original was a smooth deep rich brown soup clearly made from dried mushrooms.

**I had 3 lbs. of skinless boneless chicken thighs I couldn't figure out what to do with so I made up a big batch of breading by adding ingredients to half a pound of homemade toasted bread crumbs I had in a ziploc. I baked them all off and stored single layer in shallow containers in the refrigerator. Last night I reheated half a dozen (of the 16 or so thighs) on a sheet pan in a low oven and they crisped back up nicely.

***Par-boiled in water and then finished in a skillet with wine and chicken broth.

• Like 1

Last night was leftovers: chicken and pasta. 

On a sheet pan in a low oven, I reheated two rotisserie chicken legs and several of the breaded chicken thighs, adding a loaf of whole wheat naan to the pan near the end of the time to warm that up too. Meantime, I sauteed a lot of baby spinach and then swirled in the leftover linguine and some chicken broth, then added shredded smoked gouda and chopped parsley and let it all heat through together until the cheese melted.  I added a little half and half right at the end to finish the sauce.

We also had takeout onion rings...because I felt like it 😋. (They, too, found space on the sheet pan.)

• Like 3

Last night was leftover slices of pork loin with mushroom gravy, steamed broccoli, and frozen TJ's One potato two potato cheesy gratin with mushrooms.It had both sweet and white potatoes. I bought it after trying a sample at the store when I was there for something else (which I don't think I've done before). It's something I could have made myself from scratch, but it was good and worked well with everything else.

• Like 2

Last night was Turkey sweet Italian sausages on the grill, with Hubby's new favorite mustard Zataran's, kale and cherry tomato salad with tahini dressing.

Night before was leftover white bean and chicken soup, with warmed up pepperoni rolls and white pizza, which I sliced to share sizes, as we didn't really have enough to be a serving for each of us.

• Like 1

I pulled together a pumpkin, black bean, and kielbasa soup last night. I'm not sure I got the seasoning quite right, but it was good. With that we had two naan flatbread pizzas: one bbq chicken and the other mushroom and pepperoni.

• Like 1

Last night we had a mustard and Parmesan roasted whole cauliflower, along with a Gnarlic white pizza from &pizza. The cauliflower was excellent. I've been running out of things to do with cauliflower, and this recipe is a keeper.

I'm not super fond of &pizza, but it does make decent snacking or appetizer pizza, so it worked nicely along with the cauliflower, which alone wouldn't have been enough food. And the narrow box is not as hard to carry home as a regular pizza box, so that's a bonus.

After having never used any of the promo codes I got from them during the Phillies series in September every time Harper struck out, I'm determined to use the discounts I've been getting for answering their polls predicting things that will happen during World Series games.

• Like 1

Thursday was egg noodles with Ragu alla Bolognese and leftover mustard roasted cauliflower reheated with sauteed samphire.

Last night was another discounted &pizza doctored with some extra cheese and meat for reheating; leftover pumpkin soup; and, a salad of green leaf lettuce, Campari tomatoes, radishes, and Cotija cheese with vinaigrette.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Pat said:

Sausage and cheese ravioli with leftover Bolognese ragu
Roasted cubes of butternut squash and mortadella

Last night TJ's version of the same ravioli, a home made red sauce, sauteed spinach and chocolate ice cream with blueberries and chocolate sauce.

• Like 2

Last night was penne pasta (I used some week points from WW to splurge on real pasta) with broccoli and turkey sausage with garlic, leeks and fresh herbs (oregano, basil, chives, parsley) with white wine, margarine, lemon, olive oil, pasta water and some parm sauce.

On Halloween, I picked up a bucket of fried chicken from HT, and then made green beans, and warmed up a thing of mashed cauliflower with garlic and herbs.  

• Like 1