Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Sweet Potato and Feta Bourekas
Beef Vegetable Soup with Tomatoes, Green Beans, Carrots, and, Corn

My bourekas didn't come out as pretty as the picture but were passable. The flaky puff pastry sort of overwhelmed the filling, which -- with olives, feta, and plenty of dill -- I would think would have a fairly strong flavor profile. I only made half of the pastries and will make the rest later today. I may add a bit more of the non-sweet potato ingredients to the remaining filling to try to boost the flavor a little. I don't want to increase the volume of the filling by too much, though, and have excess.

The soup was made from a lot of bits and pieces I had on hand: de-fatted broth that was made with the Christmas prime rib bones and meat left on them; the liquid from the sous vide bag the beef was cooked in; the remnants of a box of beef stock; some of the leftover prime rib; salvageable bits of meat from the bones; green beans not cooked for Christmas; excess corn from the Christmas Eve corn casserole; and a can of diced tomatoes. Otherwise, the base ingredients were onion, carrot, celery, black pepper, and fresh bay leaf. It was a good rainy day soup.

• Like 1

I have been making stock since Saturday and as a result we have a lot of chicken wings and bonjiri. Got 8 quarts brown chicken stock, what will eventually be around 4 qts of light chicken stock, 2 quarts + of incredible glace de veau. Also have a bunch of chicken parts in the freezer.

Marinated the wing with miso, mirin, persimmon vinegar and tamari, the bonjiri with salt. Baked in a 375 degree oven til the wings were fall apart tender.

Drink: Boulevardier: 1.5 oz Burroughs Bourbon, 1.5 oz Barolo Chinato Cocchi, 1.5 oz Cocchi Americano. 4 squeezes Bitterman's orange cream citrate bitters.

• Like 2

Monday: I have been making stock since Saturday and as a result we have a lot of chicken wings and bonjiri. Got 8 quarts brown chicken stock, what will eventually be around 4 qts of light chicken stock, 2 quarts + of incredible glace de veau. Also have a bunch of chicken parts in the freezer.

Marinated the wing with miso, mirin, persimmon vinegar and tamari, the bonjiri with salt. Baked in a 375 degree oven til the wings were fall apart tender.

Drink: Boulevardier: 1.5 oz Burroughs Bourbon, 1.5 oz Barolo Chinato Cocchi, 1.5 oz Cocchi Americano. 4 squeezes Bitterman's orange cream citrate bitters.

New Year's Eve

Roseda Tri Tip cooked in cast iron

Local romanesco w/parm & lemon. Not sure which farm I bought is at. Falls Church Farmer's Market.

Drink: Ridge 1981 York Creek Vineyard Cabernet. To say that the amazingness of this wine was unexpected, I had 2 other bottles standing up as backup. 

Here is what I wrote on Twitter with a few less typos:

What a way to end the year. I am not a restaurateur putting out 120 dinners but a civie enjoying @RidgeVineyards 1981 Your Creek Cabernet Sauvignon (6% merlot. 2% franc) which Paul Draper said would develop fully by 1989. It is unreal: viscous, leathery, smoky fruit, vibrant.

Black fruit: dark ripe black cherry and plum, tiniest bit of tannins left. Unctuous and luxurious mouth feel. Open 5 minutes nose is subdued but flavors singing!

Napa dust and minerality. Opening to lush fruit. Kay and I met about the days this wine was harvested. Both Kay and the @RidgeVineyards have aged well. Me not so much.

Happy New Year!

_copie-0_20191231_212838.jpg.e1fda3ce7187d5313f808126f01d304d.jpg

_copie-0_20191231_214256.jpg.82168c09e4933a69ce251aabf97231d5.jpg

_copie-0_IMG_20191231_214127.jpg.e8cfa3410d0b54f7e536024590f50525.jpg 

• Like 6

Radicchio and Baby Arugula Salad With Anchovy-Mustard Vinaigrette
Roasted Chicken Provençal
Great Northern Beans with Wilted Baby Spinach, Fresh Dill, and Lemon

Both recipes were from the NY Times. The chicken recipe didn't give a lot of guidance and I'd do some things differently next time. It did use up a lot of Herbes de Provence I'd had sitting in my spice drawer, though. The roasted shallots and garlic that accompanied the chicken (I used all thighs) were sweet and delightful.

The anchovy (or something) lent the salad dressing an odd color. I think I'd do a honey - mustard next time, as the salad tends towards bitterness and needs some sweet for balance.

The beans were the simplest menu entry (starting from canned) and the sleeper hit. I sprinkled them with homemade garlic breadcrumbs to serve.

• Like 1

Thursday Night Dinner:

I made a shio koji quick pickle with hakurei turnip and radish greens {mirin, tamari. sesame oil, persimmon vinegar} very crisp and light

Roasted radishes {white, green & purple daikon, watermelon radish} tossed w/salt, spice rub, black cumin, olive oil} roasted 45 minutes at 275. Spritz w/lime

Chicken Thigh marinated in miso, mirin, vinegar, tamari, cut in small cubes and sauteed in a very hot carbon steel pan, tossed with some flattened garlic, also spritzed w/lime.

shishito pepper, tossed w/spice rub, sansho pepper, sichmici pepper, salt, seared in carbon steel pan til blistered.

Drink: spin on a perfect manhattan: 2 oz rye, 1/2 oz cocchi americano. 1/2 oz cocchi rosa, bittermans orange cream citrate bitters, luxardo cherry

helped Kay finish her drink {I'm super nice like that!}: old granddad bourbon, barolo chinato cocchi, don cicchio rabarbaro, capotline white.

Cooling out with some Willett special release Straight Rye, no age statement on label. 

• Like 2

Last night was pasta two ways and a salad. The salad was some leftover black-eyed pea salad from New Year's Day mixed with baby arugula and shredded radicchio. There was enough of the vinaigrette left on the beans, etc., to dress the additional ingredients.

The pastas were both repurposed leftovers: 1) Sweet potato gnocchi, which had previously been boiled and fried, got reheated with sage brown butter, a couple handfuls of shredded Gruyere, and some dollops of ricotta; and (2) Baked penne, which didn't have much in the way of tomato sauce to begin with, got a boost from some long-simmered tomato ragu made with the last of the leftover pork loin in the refrigerator and a dusting of grated Parmesan. Both came out great.

The gnocchi were going to bear the brunt of another reheating, regardless, so I didn't worry about them getting soggy. I just didn't want them to get tough. They really didn't end up that soggy, all things considered. The little dumplings absorbed just the right amount of butter, and everything was complemented by the nuttiness of the Gruyere and richness of the ricotta cheese. This tasted very decadent 😋.

Today was a big shopping day in preparation for a catering I am doing next week. When I got to HMart, I was weak with hunger and I was hallucinating from a hot case stuffed chile at India Bazaar. When I got to the back corner of the store, they had a huge array of banchan out with loads of samples available. You could see the look on the lady working the station as I was looking like the samples were a salad bar. But I got to the las few bins and tried fermented squid in chile paste and asked for a tub. Pickled laver {which turned out to be pink/purple} was next. Fish tripe and whiting roe finished up the assortment. The Lady had a new favorite customer and when I got to the register, 2 older Korean ladies saw what I was buying and they asked, incrediously, "you like that? Its salty."

I took the opportunity to ask them how to eat everything and we talked homemade kimchi etc. If I had stayed longer, I would have been adopted.

That quartet of pickled/fermented foods joined a pot of rice, homemade lacto-fermented veggie pickles, homemade mak kimchi, left over roasted radish and leftover pickles turnip and radish greens and two bottles of Makkoli Draft.

Great easy dinner. I scored a shocking amount of brownie points with Kay. Now I am trying to stay awake long enough to make sure my Seoul long tang broth is working well before an overnight boil. 

• Like 3

I got 5 live abalone, small black ones. They were on sale but mosto f them were dead. I looked for ones stuck to another shell and so we got live ones. You first free the meat with a spoon and leave the live behind. I tried one of the livers and they are delicious but incredibly viscous. Very weird.

Once the muscle is free, you cut off the hard bit that sticks to the neck of the muscle if it does not come off in shelling. Next there is a ring of slimy black stuff that was very hard. If I had been more energetic, I would have chopped the black bits for a chowder or a fritter. We ate the first one raw with lemon & salt. Amazing if only lightly flavored. The next ones we pan fried, the first naked and the last two with potato starch. Cooked they were incredible. Somewhat like veal sweetbreads but lighter with more of a custardy texture.

One thing to note, you need to pound the abalone and they have a tendency to fly from between the plastic wrap and land across the room. My personal best is 8 feet. At $2.49 and 7 minutes of intense spoon and knife work, you can damn well be sure we rinsed them off and ate the little suckers! These are farmed abalone and H Mart brought in a huge shipment for the grand opening of the Fairfax flagship store and their price has been steadily declining. But live is live.

I also braised a brisket and we had several slices off the deckle. Red wine, onion, carrot & celery herb puree softened with some of the glace di viande I made last weekend. We have 6 meals from 2/3 of the brisket for future dinners. 

H Mart has some octopus on sale so we enjoyed that with soy and wasabi. 

A few slices of Stachowski sausages bought from Jamie himself this AM at the Falls Church farmers' market. Pepperoni, linguisa and something else. Jamie is a sausage genius. 

Half a pineapple. 

Spin on a Perfect Manhattan rerun: Burrough's Bourbon, Cocchi Rosa, Cocchi Americano, Peychaud's aromatic bitters, Luxardo cherry.

• Like 4

Soup, salad, and sandwiches last night: Tortellini en brodo; leftover black-eyed pea salad plus quartered baby beets, toasted walnuts, and feta; and, BLTC(hicken).

The tortellini were spinach and multi-cheese from Trader Joe's. I also had some baby spinach left that I dropped into the broth right near the end of the cooking time. Seasoned the soup with plenty of black pepper, a little bit of salt, and garnished with finely chopped parsley and finely grated Parmesan.

The salad had been sitting in the fridge for a number of days, and it still stood up under lengthy marination from the turmeric and coriander vinaigrette, which is something good to remember. (I hadn't made the recipe previously.) The whites of the radishes and beans had developed a bit of an orangish tint but there were no real ill effects from the prolonged soaking. I had a bit of the same ingredients left that had gone into arugula salad the night before so added them, and they worked well in this too.

The sandwich fillings went on lightly toasted whole wheat sesame hamburger buns, with some of the remaining horseradish sauce I'd made spread on the bread.

• Like 1

Last night was pounded chicken breast with garlic and herb seasoning, Brussels sprouts roasted until crispy topped with a hot honey sauce, and a bit of butternut squash puree.  

Last week was mostly turkey sandwiches on white bread.  It's just amazing how good freshly roasted turkey breast is on white bread with a little Duke's Mayo. 

• Like 2

Yesterday everything kept changing (mostly going wrong) and I went through multiple plans for dinner. We ended up having small cheeseburgers -- don't know that I'd exactly call them sliders -- about 2.5 to 3 oz. each -- on toasted English muffins from the freezer. They were layered with a thin slice of tomato on the bottom and melted Swiss cheese, then sauteed mushrooms and bacon on the top. The salad to accompany was romaine, radicchio, radishes, feta, and a small amount of crumbled bacon, with bottled sesame - soy - ginger vinaigrette.

• Like 2

I had three small hamburgers left after Wednesday night's dinner, as I had formed and cooked a whole pound of ground beef. It never seems very satisfying having just reheated hamburger patties and they kind of overcook through the reheating, so I had the ingenious 🤔 thought of falafelizing the hamburger. The burgers were about 1  - 1 1/4" thick, so I sliced them in thirds horizontally and reheated briefly in the microwave and then we assembled pitas at the table, with a couple burger slices per pita and a selection of sauces and fillings. (I halved the pitas and heated them too.)

The beets were inspired by falafel they used to have on the menu at Little Pearl back at the old location. And, of course, we had to have chickpeas! The concept was weird but turned out delicious. We started out the meal with leftover soup.

Leftover Tortellini en Brodo
Hamburger a la Falafel
    •Whole wheat pita bread
    •Sliced mini hamburgers
    •Sliced roasted baby beets
    •Sliced red onion
    •Cole slaw mix
    •Chickpeas
    •Tahini sauce
    •Tzatziki sauce

• Like 1

Last night was a big salad and leftover cheesy chicken casserole. The salad: iceberg lettuce, chopped yellow bell pepper, chopped red onion, sliced cucumber, crumbled bacon, sliced roasted baby beets, fresh dill, crumbled feta, pomegranate arils, and blueberries; mustard - herb - red wine vinaigrette

• Like 1

Huge pot of mussels, vanilla gelato

Drinks 50/50 martini w/green hat, Capitoline white {sweet} vermouth, bitter truth lemon bitters, Peychaud's bitters, blood orange peel twist for Kay

Same but the 50% vermouth was half Dolin dry and half Capitoline. Kay's was better. We are really enjoying "sweet" martinis. Might have to try a martini w/old tom gin.

• Like 2

I did a catering earlier this week and we made Pork Belly Porchetta. There was a small section of belly that wasn't needed for the event so tonight I roasted it. I had my brand new chef's alarm leave in probe thermometer from Thermoworks so it was extra fun.

Over 3 hours at 3 hundred followed by 20 minutes at 515 {should hae been 500 so it got a little browner than I wanted. Served with pork dripping roasted potato.

Wine: 1981 Pine Ridge Stag's Leap Cuvee Cabernet Sauvignon. Our second 1981 Napa cab is fine shape at almost 37 years of age.

_copie-0_20200112_192538.jpg

_copie-0_20200112_192542.jpg

_copie-0_20200112_192558.jpg

• Like 5

I have not cooked in a while, and tonight I had friends over. It’s been a little cloudy and windy here in the very deep southern part of United States, so hearty food was appreciated. 😉
Salad of baby kale and mixed greens with Caesar dressing and grated Parmesan Reggiano. 
Chicken paprikash made with white meat chicken, onions, sweet Hungarian paprika, smoked paprika, cayenne, garlic, flour, chicken stock, tomato paste, sour cream. 
Kosher egg noodles. 
Sauteed cabbage. 
Organic cinnamon marshmallows coated in chocolate (purchased from my local hippie grocery store). 
This was a very homey meal, easy to make and lots of fun. 

• Like 2

Sauteed marinated extra firm tofu
Brown rice
Steamed broccoli
Whole wheat pita and baba ganoush

Based on some idea that lodged in my head from a cooking competition show (I don't even recall which), I marinated the tofu in sriracha, soy sauce, and liquid smoke. I also added some garlic powder and onion powder. I figured it would be a pretty quick meal because there was a time constraint in whatever the show was, though he might have used white rice. I started marinating the tofu, then put the rice on and prepped the broccoli and garnishes. When the rice was finished and I turned it off to rest for 10 minutes, I started cooking the tofu. Right near the end, I steamed the broccoli in the microwave.

It looked nice plated, with the rice on the bottom, planks of tofu arranged on top and broccoli florets strewn over the plate. I garnished both the rice and the whole plate with scallion greens and chopped roasted peanuts.

I think I'll go with chipotle seasoning next time for the smoke instead of the liquid smoke. It came through enough that I was regretting that inclusion. Possibly I used too much, though it was just a few shakes of the bottle.

• Like 2

Left overs. Kimchi Jigae from the freezer, rice, kimchi, sauerkraut.

Boulevardier. Old Granddad w/Luxardo Aperitivo, Capitoline white, Biter Truth celery bitters and Peychaud's whiskey barrel bitters

Kay: Negroni w/Brokers gin, Cocchi rosa, Luxardo bitters. 

Last of our first batch of homemade vanilla gelato.

• Like 1

Dinner last night was really good but it sure generated a lot dishes, pots, and pans to wash... 🤨

Spicy Tomato Blue Cheese Soup
Cheesy Mixed Pasta Casserole with Mushrooms

I was craving tomato soup and remembered this Michael Symon recipe I've made a few times before, so dug it out. In order to give my husband soup without blue cheese, this time around I made it without cheese and gave him crumbled feta to add at the table, and I added blue cheese to mine before eating. Doing it this way, it made absolutely no sense (I realized at the table) to have gone to the trouble of straining the soup through a fine mesh strainer so it was completely smooth. The strained soup is absolutely wonderful, though.

I'd never made the Food and Wine recipe before and liked it quite a bit. The cheese is primarily Fontina (some Parmesan is sprinkled on the top), and it's not a huge amount. I followed it more or less to the letter, except instead of using a pound total of mixed pasta shapes, I used a box of tricolor rotini. I don't like rotini all that much and like the mixed colored kind even less, but for some reason I buy some periodically to make pasta salad. This summer I got the pasta and never made the salad. It worked perfectly in this. The three kinds of mushrooms were what really made the dish.

• Like 2

Last night was green pasta with pesto from the freezer and TJ fresh English peas.  We had a side of greek turkey meatballs that I made with onion, egg, breadcrumbs, feta and some herbs.

I also finished the butternut pear soup I had made.  (Topping it with a little cheese and bacon made it just a little more interesting)

Last week was salmon curry with ramen noodles one night, homemade turkey green chile verde tamales with rice, beans, salsa and guac another.  We have been doing a lot of delivery recently just because Hubby has been sick and I have had events.  I'm hoping to convince him to grill some steaks since it is halfway decent out at night.

• Like 2

Big salad (iceberg, radicchio, radishes, cucumbers, chickpeas, tomato, green bell pepper; mustard - anchovy vinaigrette)
Pumpernickel bread and butter
Sauteed kale agrodolce with raisins and pine nuts
Baked chicken breasts en papillote with pesto, sun-dried tomatoes, and kalamata olives

The kale was from a Bobby Flay recipe. I substituted honey for the sugar called for in the agrodolce component. The chicken idea came from skimming through one of the more recent editions of Joy of Cooking. I keep going back to my cookbooks to try to make better use of them and justify the space they take up.

• Like 1

More big salad and pumpernickel
Eggplant, tomato, pepper, and potato stew

I made the stew from half of the leftovers of the moussaka from the other night. The recipe for the moussaka didn't work too well as moussaka, but with a little creative effort, it transformed into a pretty good stew. Don't know what I'm going to do with the other half of the leftovers. The recipe made a lot.

The inspiration for the stew came from a recipe in The San Francisco Chronicle Cookbook Volume II: Cianfotta Lucana. I doubt I would have come up with the stew without seeing that recipe. I'm keeping track of it to make in its own right some other day. The main difference would be the broth in mine derived from what was left of the original sauces on the moussaka. (The sauces never properly thickened.)

• Like 1

More leftovers. Frozen mushroom enchilladas w/home made salsas. Great remainder of the bottle of Vinco Biancoperso. Value prives orange imported by Williams Corner. Tangy, almost apricot/peach but in a not too fruity way. Last of the Kirk & Sweeney 23 year rum. 

• Like 1

Last night was old-fashioned meatloaf like Mom used to make, barded with bacon and basted with tomato juice during cooking. We also had buttered peas with fresh dill and pepper, roasted za'atar cauliflower, and brown rice.

• Like 1

Got two mullets filleted at Grand Mart. Pan fried in a little potato starch. Deglazed the pan with capers and white wine.  Sauteed king mushrooms, sliced top to bottom, after marinating in a tiny bit of sesame oil. ABout half was thry added some soy and the remainder of the oil from the marinade. Salt & Pepper. Cooked them pover fairly high heat til glazed.

Cenatiempo Grantiefo Bianco from Campania.

• Like 2

Iceberg lettuce and radicchio, radishes, tomato, white onion rings, and green bell pepper; vinaigrette
Baked eggplant, potato, and tomato casserole with fresh mint, feta, garlic bread crumbs, and mozzarella
Mini spiced lamb meatballs served over sauteed onions, green pepper, and spinach
Lemon, mint, and garlic yogurt sauce
Trader Joe's cauliflower tabbouli

The casserole was the last rearrangement of the moussaka that didn't quite work out as written. I was originally going to add the lamb to it but decided against in case it was a fail. It worked out fine, and the lamb and spinach were great on the side.

• Like 1

I had bought habareno lime tortillas at Trader Joe's on something of a whim and wasn't sure what to make with them. At first I thought burritos, then tacos, then stacked enchiladas, and finally I settled on a dish I called encharitos, burritos enchilada style. Mostly that means that, instead of tightly rolling filled tortillas in a casserole, I made tight bundles. I also used refried beans, which I almost always use in burritos but don't usually use in enchiladas.

Since I hadn't exactly planned what I was doing and had to get a meal made, I meandered through a process of figuring out what to do as I was doing it. It came out pretty well.

I poached a couple large skinless boneless chicken breasts in water with bay, cracked peppercorns, and dehydrated onion. Then I further simmered the chicken on very low for a while in a big jar of salsa verde and some strained poaching liquid until it was easily shreddable. After I took out the chicken, I cooked down the liquid a little more until it was closer to the original salsa consistency.

I poured a thin coating of the salsa on the bottom of a casserole big enough to hold ten filled tortillas and used the same sauce to warm and coat the individual tortillas before filling. The layered filling was shredded chicken, green sauce, refried beans, shredded monterey jack, and a few fresh cilantro leaves. I folded them burrito style and they filled the casserole dish exactly full.

For the top, I decided to use a red(dish) sauce and so diluted what I called "tomato base" that I had left if the refrigerator from straining tomato soup. The tomatoes were somewhat spent after their previous work, so I pumped them up with extra sriracha (which had been part of the original soup). I diluted this with more of the chicken poaching liquid until it was a saucy consistency. I drizzled this over the casserole and then topped with shredded cheese. After they came out of the oven, I scattered a few more handfuls of cheese and some cilantro leaves. The cheese melted handily before we dug into the meal. I served these with extra lime for squeezing over and that really brought out the lime in the tortillas.

The rest of the meal was the remaining salad from the night before and the last of the leftover brown rice and za'atar roasted cauliflower.

In the freezer we had bean soup that was mostly bean, tomato, onion, garlic & herbs. In the fridge we had romanesco, leek, tat soi, chard all from the farmer's market and an onion. The veggies got chopped & sauteed in olive oil. Added the soup and water & boiled til the veggies were soft. The result was a rich broth and the veggies retained their individual flavors. Sprinkled parm on top.

Drinks:

My negroni-esque Jalisco tequila, Don Cicio Rababaro, Bonal gentian apperitivo, Jerry Thomas bitters. Should have used a different bitter.

Kay: Jalisco tequila, Bonal, Barolo Chinato Cocchi, Bitter Truth lemon bitters

Wine: Tami Nero d'Avola 1/2 bottle using the coravin.

• Like 1

We has some leftover pasta sauces in the fridge. We cooked up 250 grams of Opera pappardelle which is one of the best artisan pasta I have ever had. It has a great chew and heft which is perfect in pappardelle and it absorbed the liquid in the sauce perfectly. It kept its chew for the entire time we were scarfing it down {which, admittedly, was not long}

One container was wild boar sauce. The other looked like greens sauteed in garlic. But it was actually leftover green onion, leek and white wine from the cooking of clams. The combo was a little fish tasting but quite delicious. The Portuguese eat pork and clams, so why not?  A serendipitous combo and a delicious one too.

We staarted with crudite and crackers dipped in walnut sage pesto and Divina oven dried tomato & almond pesto.

We both reek of garlic but when you both do, neither one suffers! 

We finished our bottle of Tami Nero d'Avola from yesterday.

• Like 3

My husband dubbed last night's dinner “Accidental Thanksgiving in January.” I had to admit he was right. The only part that was intentional was the cranberry sauce.  I realized I still had some from making a portobello mushroom dish earlier in the month, so I pulled that out to serve with the turkey cutlets I was breading. The meal was great...and reminiscent of Thanksgiving 🦃.

Turkey scallopini
Leftover whole berry cranberry sauce
Steamed broccoli
Leftover English peas with butter and mint
Maple spiced mashed sweet potatoes

• Like 2

This made a nice plate:

Baked rainbow trout with garlic and lemon
Roasted fennel with Parmesan
Roasted yellow beets
Du Puy lentils with carrots, mushrooms, onions, and garlic; cooked in vegetable broth
Chopped avocado
Fennel frond garnish

The fennel was a Giada DeLaurenttis recipe that came out great. (The recipe says to slice them horizontally, but the video clearly indicates vertically, as does the photo evidence.) I sort of followed a basic NYT recipe for the lentils but added mushrooms and scaled the amounts in the recipe back. I used vegetable broth for the liquid. The lentils were surprisingly delicious.