Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Black bean and potato tacos.
I roasted tricolor baby potatoes with smoked paprika and cumin till crispy. I had mashed some black beans for dip (garlic, cumin, smoked paprika) and I put those in the bottom of the tacos. Then I added the crispy potatoes, sour cream mixed with salsa, grated cheddar cheese, and shredded lettuce. Quite successful. 

• Like 2

Yesterday and today, we did triage on our refrigerators {yes we have 2} and did a lot of prep and cooking. That informed today's dinner.

Clam salad: left over clams that had been steamed w/garlic & white wine, removed from the shell and tossed with Japanese seaweed noodle, shredded carrot & English cuke, sesame oil, vinegar, mirin, soy. Really good and the noodles are crunchy which was unexpected.

Greens soup: we cooked this yesterday but finished it today and started eating it. Cooked radish and daikon greens, a carrot, one celery stalk, a bunch of flowering Tuscan kale, some green onion, garlic & ginger until soft. Added some cream and milk at the end. Today I pureed it in the Vitamix w/Asian pear, apple, ginger, a bit of raw onion and added the clam juice {we had nearly a quart!} We ate it and it was pretty stringy from the greens. I am going to pass the remainder thru a mouli if I can.

Beet greens sauteed w/garlic & olive oil, w/lemon juice

Kalettes sauted w/caramelized onion, olive oil, salt, pepper, spice rub, Aleppo.

Drink: Korean yogurt & soju blended with ginger juice, a bit of syrup from Luxardo cherries, simple syrup

Later, more gelato.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, deangold said:

Kalettes sauted w/caramelized onion, olive oil, salt, pepper, spice rub, Aleppo.

I have only roasted kalettes with olive oil and salt til crispy and delicious. If you sauté them, do you sauté until soft?

I cut them in half. Used a carbon steel pan but cast iron would work too. Then I sliced half an onion into rings and cooked them in olive oil until caramelized. The I rinsed the kalettes and left about 1/4 cup water on them. Tossed them onto the onions, truned a fw times and covered for about 3 or 4 minutes. Then uncovered, seasoned and cooked a final two minutes. They were tender crisp. Put them in a bowl, hit them with some sesame oil and lemon juice. I possibly used a drop or two of soy or fish sauce, I am too senile to remember. 

I have never got kalettes just right before so this is my method going forward. 

• Like 1

Last night:
Romaine, cucumber, avocado, and radishes; mustard - white wine vinaigrette
Leftover fajitas (beef, peppers, tortillas; avocado; sour cream)
Confit tomato and kalamata olive risotto

Tonight:
Romaine, cucumber, avocado, tomato, and radishes; bottled vinaigrette
Leftover broccoli and beef stir-fry and couscous
Fried chili-spiced hominy

The rice and hominy were both quite old and both turned out well. Yay! A while back I pulled out of the freezer a partial pack of really good rice I had bought at Wegman's many years ago for risotto. Pretty sure it was Carnaroli. I'd wrapped the remainder tightly in foil and stored it in the freezer. It then sat in the refrigerator for weeks, 1/2 cup of great risotto rice. Last night I decided it was time and started researching scale for small batch risotto.

I was cooking down some grape tomatoes that were starting to get a little shriveled and were less than optimal for salad anymore and decided that would be a good addition to the risotto. This was just tomatoes flavored with thyme sprigs that went in with them into some evoo in a heavy pan for long-cooking. I thought chopping some kalamata olives I had in the fridge was also be a nice addition to go in with tomatoes and Parmesan (jumping ahead: I forgot the Parmesan but it was great anyway). This required more chicken broth than the scale I'd worked out but that was for arborio and I think carnaroli takes more. My husband loved this risotto, which was gratifying for the cook.

The dried prepared hominy was from Rancho Gordo. I'd managed to get RG Christmas Limas that were also quite old into edible condition a number of weeks ago so I forged ahead with the hominy, soaking it overnight, draining, then putting it into a crockpot with more water for quite a  few hours. Once I saw some pieces were fragmenting, I checked on it, and the hominy was done cooking. I reserved some of it in its water in the fridge and dried on dish towels the remaining portion. For this I went with an idea I saw from Alex Guarnaschelli on twitter for canned hominy: dry thoroughly and pan fry until crisp. It was impossible to get this stuff fully dry so I tossed with a little cornstarch (which seems redundant but it helped), chili powder, ground pink peppercorn, and a little salt. I fried in some evoo in a screaming hot cast iron pan until it was crispy. I don't know if I was supposed to use oil, but it worked. It was good mixed in with the stir-fry. The End.

• Like 1

I passed the greens soup thru the mouli and we had a mug or two of that to start. Really improved the soup. I put it in the Vita Mix at high for a minute.

Baked beets, chilled and marinated in red wine vinegar, lots of salt & pepper, a few drops olive oil

Pork belly and skirt steak on the yaki niku grill. I rubbed the meats with yuzu kosho and let it sit for almost an hour. We dipped into salt W/sesame oil; soy; wasabi

Pistachio gelato

Dinks: 

Negroni type to start: Green Hat gin, Capitoline white vermouth, Luxardo Aperitivo Americano {their Aperol. its really better than the original!} angostura orange bitters, Bitterman's hopped grapefruit. 

A glass of Cenatiempo Ischhia rosso: nicely ripe and chewy piedirosso

• Like 1

Friends who live in my building, and who are more like family, decided it was very low risk to get together for dinner last night, since we had been seeing each other every day before the social distancing order. We have all been behaving properly since then. So...
A salad of arugula and Romaine with grape tomatoes and homemade Caesar dressing plus Parmesan cheese. 
Chicken paprikash served over egg noodles. 
Lovely Italian pastries brought over by the neighbor. 
Corona beers and cheap white wine!

Last night was turkey meatloaf, roasted new potatoes and asparagus.

I didn't have a huge amount of turkey leftover, so I added in red pepper, carrot, garlic, onion, 2 bread heels which were all chopped in the food processor, and an egg, salt and pepper.  It could have used a little more spice, and I completely forgot the ketchup.  So it wasn't great, but it was fine.  It will make a good sandwich cold with mayo- so there you go.  

The asparagus and potatoes were just a little butter, olive oil, salt and pepper and were good.  I tried to do smashed potatoes, but they didn't quite get as crispy, next time I will do them a little differently and pre-cook in the microwave then smash, use more butter, maybe add Old Bay because that is what people from Maryland do...

• Like 2

Guacamole and lime sea salt tortilla chips
Leftover sliced chicken breast with giblet gravy
Buttered asparagus
Leftover mac and cheese spruced up with green chile salsa and chipotle in adobo

The salsa was made and canned by a co-worker of my husband several months ago. There was only a little bit left and the jar had been open for a while, so I finished it up as I did a shells and cheese remix. We've got the jar set aside to return to him...at some point in the future. Could be a while.

• Like 1

Just now, Smita Nordwall said:

did you make the seaweed salad? 

No, it was the last of a package from Costco- which was fine, but I forgot that the last time we ate it, I added pickled ginger, lime juice and sesame seeds, which I think really help to amp it up just a little.

1 hour ago, Smita Nordwall said:

How long does that last once opened?

Not sure what the box says, but it seems to have lasted a pretty long time since I opened it, it's likely been two weeks... I checked it to see if I thought it had gone bad in any way, and nope.  Maybe between the vinegar and seaweed, they keep bacteria away?

We have been nibbling all day so we probably could call this brunsupdin. But I will try and find a logical point to start the listing.

Crudite w/ume paste. We used up the last of the S&B brand from Japan and started with the Eden Foods ume. This ume is a little thinner and side by side, not as good. But honestly, I don't think we will noticeably suffer until our next shipment arrives from Japan.

Next was a romaine head, wedge and covered with homemade tzatziki. I need to make a batch of caesar dressing because we have a lot of romaine.

Eggplant marinated in sesame oil and soy, pan fried and finished in the oven at 425. The eggplant was a little thin on some slices and those wound up chip like. The thicker peices were really tasty and had a great texture.

King Oyster mushroom w/olive oil & soy. Pan roasted. When they were almost done I crushed garlic cloves over the pan and let the garlic cook in the cooling pan. Kay and I both said how much we love king mushrooms and at $1.99 at HMart, they are a significant bargain!

Skirt steak and pork belly, both local, marinated in Thai fish sauce & shio koji 48 hours, done on the yaki niku grill. 

some green onions done on the yaki niku grill. WHich might have transformed it into a yaki negi grill. 

Cocktail which came after the sald and before the eggplant/king mushrooms

My favorite martini: Plymouth gin and Dolin dry 3 to 2, Peychaud's aromatic bitters, Bitter Truth olive bitters, 6 drops, lemon twist. 

Wine: the remainder of the Ischia Rosso from the other night by Cenatiempo. SO GOOD! Kay had a glass of Ciro Rosso by Scala from Calabria which we will undoubtedly finish tomorrow. 

• Like 3

Individual nachos
Romaine, tomato, marcona almonds; mustard - white wine vinaigrette
Chicken mushroom noodle casserole

The casserole was done basically the way I make tuna noodle casserole, except I used leftover chicken breast and I didn't put hard boiled eggs in it. Good comfort food.

• Like 1

A few years ago, I googled 'world's best recipe' and found this one which happens to be for lasagna.  To earn the title of 'World's Best', you have to bring it...  This is classic food - not vegetable, no bechamel, nothing fancy, just straight up 'grandma style' lasagna, but it is daaaaaamn good.  It does take some time - I usually make the sauce the day before and then assemble the day of.  This is often a recipe I make for those with newborns, having surgery, in need of meals, etc.  It is relatively inexpensive to make, travels well, and is better the next day.

Served with a Wegman's caesar salad mix and a forgettable bottle of Total Wine Pinot Noir.  

• Like 2

I made a small batch of creamy Caesar dressing {i leave it to purists to argue about Carandini's Caesar etc} which we had over romaine. Next was leftover broscht from the freezer w/brisket, yellow beets, cabbage, potato and beef stock.

Cocktail: Ric Flair

Missile IPA from Champion: Good stuff!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, reedm said:

It's certainly not what I know to be traditional carbonara, since it uses cream, but it was surely delicious. (I added fresh peas to the recipe)

I'd say this falls into the "don't sweat it" category (I'm pretty sure a lot of people think traditional carbonara has some cream in it).

1 minute ago, DonRocks said:

I'd say this falls into the "don't sweat it" category (I'm pretty sure a lot of people think traditional carbonara has some cream in it).

I'm definitely not sweating it. Just bored at the moment. 🙂

• Haha 1

Green leaf lettuce salad  with radishes, tomatoes, and feta; bottled vinaigrette
Pork tenderloin, apple, prunes, and apple cider
Risotto balls
Buttered green beans

This was a comfort meal too. It seems like they all are these days🤔. The risotto balls weren't arancini, just cold tomato-olive risotto formed into balls and shallow fried.  I seared the seasoned pork in a cast iron skillet, deglazed, then added halved prunes and a chopped apple, cooked briefly and finished in the oven. The apple cider I used to deglaze the pan caramelized into a nice syrupy glaze. I love fruit with pork.

I've had a giant Costco bag of Sunsweet prunes* in the pantry for quite some time and periodically dig into it. The zip pack keeps them very moist and they're a versatile ingredient. This is a great pantry item to keep on hand.

*Excuse me: dried plums^_^.

• Like 3

I used the last little nub of smoked London broil to make beef vegetable soup with: onion, garlic, carrots, celery, white kidney beans, lima beans, peas, corn, garlic salt, oregano, thyme, Worchestershire sauce.  Not sure why I did't use any green beans? I also made some parmasean, black pepper biscuits. 

• Like 1

We had some short rib from a catering I did in January. We defrosted them and then did them in the oven. Braised in red wine, tomato, cattor, onion celery, lots of garlic & herbs. SImply fabulous with a bog portion of left over left overs!

Korean cukes & ume. 

Boulevardier: Old Granddad, Cocchi Barolo Chinato, Coccchi Americano, Bitterman Orange crem citrate bitters, Bitter Truth Jerry Thomas bitters, Bitter Truth chocolate bitters. 

Kay used Bitter Truth Aromatic Barrel Aged bitters in place of the Jerry Thomas and Cochi Rosa instead of the Americano. I htink she won!

Scala Ciro Rosso.

• Like 4

Posole (hominy, red kidney beans, chilies, lots of canned tomatoes, and lots of fresh cilantro; sour cream; lime)
Leftover Christmas prime rib from the freezer
Leftover asparagus
Oven fries (garlic, rosemary, thyme)

I made posole with the rest of the dried hominy I cooked recently. I added a variety of canned tomatoes past their best by date. I tend to be a little sensitive to the metallic taste that can come from old tomato products, but my husband isn't. The spiciness of this masked the tinniness pretty well, but there was still a bit of an aftertaste. I found that a few splashes of red wine vinegar erased it. This made a lot and it should keep pretty well.

There were a couple of russet potatoes in the larder that were sprouting so I decided to peel them and make steak fries to go with the prime rib. I don't even like steak fries that much, but it's been a long time since I've had fries of any sort and these were satisfying. It smelled wonderful while they were in the oven. Some fresh herbs came in with a delivery, and now I need to make good use of them, so sprigs of rosemary and thyme went into the olive oil with the potatoes as they were prepped and got tossed onto the sheet pan for roasting.

• Like 3

Some frozen Korean dumplings done in the microwave: Note to self, Korean dumplings done in the microwave are an abomination.

Yams from H Mart. The were yellow fleshed yams, slightly drier than our usual orange flash. Quite good with green onion & bitter, salt & pepper.

Left over left over shortrib in red wine sauce.

Pumpernickel bread from our first Whole Foods Delivery

Monumental IPA and Crooked Run Heart & Soul. The latter was a very tropical syle IPA much like Lucy Juicy from Solace but 4% lower in ABV. Really smooth and yummy. The Port City was solid. 

• Like 2

Used some of the leftover red sauce from lasagna the other night and made stuffed shells.  Basically the same dish, different shapes.  Sriracha ranch salad from Wegmans that was surprisingly spicy.  Didn't really go with the shells,  but I'm not used to planning meals a week in advance...

With the shells we had an Ankida Ridge Pinot Noir.  Ankida is a tiny vineyard in Amherst County at 1800 ft elevation.  Their chardonnay and blanc de blanc didn't do much for me, but this is a fantastic pinot noir.  Then the wife and I started playing Wineopoly with a bottle of Cooper's Hawk John Legend blend - which wasn't as good.

• Like 2

I wasn't that hungry last night, so I had two kinds of salad while my husband had one salad and leftovers. He had:

Leftover posole topped with fresh cilantro
Leftover pork tenderloin, risotto balls, and green beans

The main salad:
Mixed greens, radishes, feta, walnuts, craisins, kalamata olives; bottled vinaigrette

The extra salad :
Campari tomatoes, cilantro, and red wine vinegar

I made this for myself out of excess cilantro I'd prepped for the posole and tomatoes I didn't put in the big salad because there were already multiple kinds of tomatoes in the leftovers.

• Like 1

Mul Naeng Myun ~ This has been a dish weeks in the making if you count how long ago I made the bone broth.

Noodles: dried japanese buckwheat noodles
Add ins: sliced apple, Asian pear, Korean cucumber, homemade dongchimi, steamed egg
Sauce: mustard & wasabi sauce, white vinegar
Broth: Bone broth, dongchimi brine

Banchan: daikon pickled in soy, vinegar, mirin, touch of salt ~ some more of our house made mak kimchi which is now aged and funky ~ Korean peppers and dongjaeng {soybean paste}

Steamed rice

A total success. We used too much broth and could have nursed at least one more serving if not two.
Steamed the egg in the rice cooker as we made rice. Got a perfect fully cooked egg. If you like a more runny egg, you cannot steam them with rice as you will need to take them out after 7 to 9 minutes steaming and that would affect the rice cooking. 

Blended margarita with strawberry infused tequila, fresh lime, triplum. While I love a good margarita rocks, I also love blended margies. The infused tequila was leftover from the restaurant and was made with rail quality tequila. When berries come into season this year, I would love to make some with a good quality, mid priced tequila which will make a more flavorful finished product. 

• Like 3

Turkey burgers with caramelized onion, avocado, LTM.  Spinach salad with bacon, strawberries, red onion, poppy dressing.  Onion rings.

Rose of Tannat from Stinson Vineyards just north of Crozet.  Fantastic - not too fruity.  Minerality without being bitter on the finish.  Side note - the owner of Stinson is married to the owner of Ankida.  Both have their hits and misses, but their hits are really strong.

• Like 3

Mixed greens, iceberg lettuce, cilantro, Campari tomatoes, celery; mustard - white wine vinaigrette
Leftover chicken noodle casserole
Stuffed Mushrooms (cooked crumbled chicken sausage, mushrooms stems, almond flour, Parmesan, gochugaru, evoo)

I'd been planning to stuff some large white mushrooms I have but couldn't think of a good filling. Then I found 2 small cooked homemade chicken sausage patties in the freezer so they became the base for the stuffing.

After two days of salads with it, I conclude that torn cilantro works fine as a salad green. My husband's aunt sometimes puts handfuls of fresh parsley in salad, so I'll occasionally do that, but this has been my initial foray into trying it with cilantro.

• Like 2

Mushroom Quesadillas; sour cream
Leftover posole
Louisiana Sumpin Sumpin (evoo, cubed chicken thighs, tasso, onion/yellow bell pepper/celery, red finger pepper, garlic, flour, black pepper, chicken broth; parsley)
Brown rice

Latest freezer discovery was a big hunk of tasso. I remember buying it a long time ago. I needed it for a recipe and I'm pretty sure I found it at Eastern Market. I bought way too much of it for some reason. It survived the freezer okay, but this was way before I had a vacuum sealer, so it benefits from other strong flavors with it for freezer camouflage.

I had 4 skinless boneless chicken thighs and I thought the tasso would be good with them. I made a skillet dish and when I tried to explain what it was to my husband at the table, I was a little flummoxed. It's...uh...Louisiana...uh...sumpin sumpin. Thus shall it be known going forward.

It was delicious! Very spicy. It and its pan liquid were wonderful over brown rice. I thought I had used a fresno pepper but then remembered I had one finger pepper in the bag with the fresnos. I clearly used the finger pepper, which wasn't that much smaller or thinner than the fresnos.

• Like 3

I broiled salmon with a mustard barbecue sauce from a takeout place that I didn’t like very much (The sauce, not the barbecue), but I added some Sriracha and it seemed like a good idea. And then I sprinkled it with black sesame seeds, and that made it look fancy. 
I served The fish with French green beans from the frozen section at Trader Joe’s, and some boiled little potatoes from one of those fancy bags of mixed potatoes from the grocery store. 
social isolation, day 637. 

• Like 3

Made a quick pickle of loose leaf nappa {spotted w/purple flacks} Korean radish, carrot & Korean cuke flavored w/soy, fish sauce, lemon juice & mirin.

Soup: slight variation to our usual: hon dashi stock, dried shiitake {used the soaking liquid in the stock} black fungus, green onion, yellow onion, seafood mushroom & tofu flavored with white shoyu, mirin, persimmon vinegar

Rice {we got a big bag of heritage rice from California at HMart as our usual rice w/the germ left on was out of stock. We used a rice cooker and added a little tamari and sesame oil to the water. 

Gibson: Plymouth & dolin dry, 4 to 3. Peychaud's aromatic bitters, Bitter Truth olive bitters, cocktail onions. 

RAR IPA our first brew from this brewery and they good we have heard about them is seemingly justified. Big, bold, bracing style of IPA, not citrus, more floral. Really good.

• Like 2

Mixed greens, iceberg lettuce, Campari tomatoes, yellow bell pepper, cilantro, celery; bottled vinaigrette
Apricot chicken with almonds
Asparagus topped with sautéed mushrooms
Yellow Indian Woman beans seasoned with Gochujang
Leftover brown rice

I found some Apricot Polaner All Fruit in the pantry a few days ago. Knowing I had a whole chicken breast to cook in the coming days, I pulled the jar out so I could make that chicken topped with apricot glaze and almonds dish that used to be popular (?). At least I remember it being popular. It was popular with me at some point, anyway 🙃. I couldn't remember where my recipe for it was (pretty sure I only have a hard copy -- it's that old), so I googled and found several recipes that looked like what I remembered. I toggled between two recipes. It was good.

I decided to make a quick baked beans type side dish from some of my cooked bounty of Yellow Indian Woman beans and hit upon Gochujang. Sweet. Spicy. Nice. I ate it as is. My husband mixed it in with his rice.

• Like 1

Last night was ham and pea pasta from here that, I adapted to be non-lactose and waste a little less:

16 ounces Pasta
1/4 cup LF butter
one small onion, minced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup LF milk and non-fat greek yogurt mixed together
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

2 cups chopped ham
1-ish cup peas

I boiled water, blanched the peas, took them out of the water, reserve pease, cooked the pasta in that water, reserved 2 cups of the pasta water, to sub in for the 1 cup plus of chicken broth in the recipe (I thought that a bit wasteful).  Rinsed the pasta to stop cooking while I made the sauce.  Melted butter, sauteed the onion in the butter 1-2 minutes until soft.  Add the flour and whisk until cooked and turned golden 1-4 minutes.  I then added about 1 cup of the pasta water while whisking.  I then added in the milk-yogurt mix mix slowly still whisking and then the parm. Added more pasta water to thin out, salt and pepper to taste.  Added pasta, ham and pea. stir. Viola. Grate a little parm and crack a little pepper on top once dished out to make it look pretty.

IMG_4519.JPG

IMG_4520.JPG

• Like 3

Spaghetti w/garlic, lemon & parsley. The vegetable was the garlic. I used almost a full cup of garlic cloves.

Baked Beans ~ Goyas pink, black & garbanzos beans, lots of farmer's market veggies cut up {carrot & celery not from the farmers market} turnips from Garner's {half went into a huge jar of crudite, these were the soft textured ones, red onion, toasted black cumin, dried oregano, lots of garlic, a #10 can of California grown san marzaano style tomatoes from Restaurant Depot which were truly killer! Baked for 3 hours. The rest is in a super low oven for overnight baking. 

Trail mix

Lyon's rum old fashioned & Lyon's rum ti punch. The Lyon's inventory took a huge hit tonight. 

• Like 1

Sunday gravy. Hot Italian sausage, chunks of pork, and about 3/4 of a pound of leftover smoked brisket went in along with tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and a jar of unremarkable grocery store brand pasta sauce. I added some Cabernet, typical Italian spices, onions, garlic. Simmered it forever. Served it with a simple green salad and a glass of Merlot on the balcony overlooking the ocean. It was a delicious meal, but I was sad not to be able to share it with someone. #SocialDistancing

• Like 4

Sashimi from H Mart: Flounder & Norwegian salmon. Bread and robiolina. Left over soup. Bananas.

Drink: Negroni: Brokers, Don Ciccio Luna, Capitoline white, Bitterman's hopped grapefruit bitters, Bitter Truth Jerry Thomas Bitters on the first round, Angostura orange bitters and Jerry Thomas on the second. 

• Like 2