Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

45 minutes ago, saf said:

So it was OK, and there is more, and it will get eaten, but he likes them a LOT better than I do.

Looks like he'll be enjoying brisket latke sandwiches for a while:lol:.

We still have not made our way through all of the beet flan. The recipe only made two of them, but they're rich and we're eating such a small amount at a time they're lasting and lasting. So, more of that tonight, plus (cremini) mushroom quesadillas, leftover creamy crab bucatini (which, I think, is now done), and something SMC called Caesar salad. While it's a pretty good salad, it had red quinoa in it, so I do not consider it by any stretch to be Caesar salad. We also had steamed broccoli.

And we drank a red wine from DCanter I opened last night: Contrade Puglia Negroamaro (2018). It was only $14 and it tastes very purple, which I mean in a good way. It tastes very full of purple fruit is the best way I can describe it. (My wine description skills are anemic.)

• Like 1
  • Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My husband made baguettes for the first time so that we could have banh mi and they were fantastic.  We used this recipe and it definitely was a good one: https://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2007/05

Comfort food dinner last night. My Twin Springs produce order included an enormous cabbage and I decided to make stuffed cabbage with a side of mashed potatoes.

Tonight was vegan night at Casa TrelayneNYC and I'm snacking on some chilled diced pineapple as I type this... The first two pictures are approx. 1 kg of wild and cultivated mushrooms.

Posted Images

In an impulsive multi-dimensional twist, I turned the burrito salad from SMC into tacos. There really weren't many components to the salad besides lettuce: a little corn, a few black beans, and some rice, plus a 3 grape tomatoes (a fourth was inedible) and a little ramekin of grated white cheddar. I mixed in leftover sauteed mushrooms and grated cheese I had, as well as a couple of chopped campari tomatoes. Heated corn tortillas and filled them with salad.

We also had more beet flan, the last triangle of quesadilla from last night, and the last of the meatballs and sauce with the mushrooms I'd added. There were a few stuffed grape leaves that didn't hold up well in the freezer, with a quick lemon yogurt sauce seasoned with sumac and mint.

• Like 2

Due to a shopping snafu somewhere in my last Giant order, the 2 cartons of almond milk (for my husband's morning cereal; that's all we use it for) were not the shelf stable boxes I anticipated but half gallons of the refrigerated stuff. Even the shelf stable kind has a timer ticking once it's opened, but the refrigerated stuff has a fairly short best by date too. So, I looked up recipes using almond milk so as to use it a little faster.

That led to the spicy cauliflower puree last night, which ended up being served as soup. While my husband really liked it (yay!), I wasn't as enamored. The taste just wasn't there. Not sure what seemed off to me. But, he loves soup and enjoyed this, so he's got some soup for the week🙃.

My cauliflower was less than half the size called for, so there was no way to use a whole quart of liquid. Since it gets cooked down by half, I tried about 2 3/4 cups. I also added the last 4 sad Campari tomatoes from the counter, which increased the liquid by a little as well. I realized I did indeed have dried chipotles, as the recipe called for, but they are very, very old, so I didn't attempt seeding one and didn't pull it out at the end either. I just put the whole thing to cook in the liquid, with a couple sprinkles of chipotle powder to boost the spicing, and pureed it along with everything else. Between the pepper and tomato, it was a lightly pink soup. (Amazingly, I got a whiff of chipotle when I opened the bag of peppers, which have been stored in the downstairs refrigerator since the W administration.)

The rest of the meal was the crunchy Asian salad from SMC; fried tofu from the freezer, mixed in to InstantPot braised kale with garlic and pepper flakes (cashews added for serving); and leftover roasted sunchokes and cream sauce.

• Like 2

Last night we had chicken thighs done in a way I'll have to remember to repeat: I coated them in chili crisp and then convection roasted for 45 minutes at 370F. Along with that we had pinto beans cooked in the InstantPot with jalapeno, onion, etc., and baked sweet potatoes. (I had made several a few days before, so these were just being reheated.)

The salad was from a Mark Bittman recipe for warm cabbage salad with bacon. He says the salad can be served over arugula and topped with croutons. I used coarse, toasted homemade breadcrumbs instead. I decided I prefer the salad without the arugula here. The breadcrumbs were a decent addition, though.

We also had some bread that had arrived in a Whole Foods order, both whole wheat naan with more of the sumac- and mint-spiced lemon yogurt I'd made and some sliced pain de campagne with butter.

• Like 4
12 hours ago, Pat said:

Last night we had chicken thighs done in a way I'll have to remember to repeat: I coated them in chili crisp and then convection roasted for 45 minutes at 370F.

We don't have a convection oven. 

I just read that sentence to the boy, and after saying, "I would eat that," he wondered about acquiring a convection oven.

So last night was salad, cream of asparagus soup, and mushroom grilled cheese sandwiches on harvest grain bread. Usually we wouldn't have asparagus this time of year because I am a snob and generally buy it at only the farm market, but it came in a South Mountain box, so gotta eat it! It was tasty.

Tonight was salad and a new chicken recipe, Lemon Garlic Chicken. It was good, but I will cut the salt by half next time we make it. Also, I added some sautéed nameko mushrooms.  We put it over orzo, and that worked well.

Later we will have clafoutis. I have a LOT of sour cherries in the freezer. I buy a flat every year to freeze. Taking ideas for eating them! (without being able to have people over, I have made a lot fewer cherry pies, cherry cakes, and cherry-almond ice cream this year!)

• Like 1

Our oven is both conventional and convection. One whole side of the temperature knob has settings for convection. It is very good for getting things crispy. Some types of air fryers are effectively stovetop convection ovens, so maybe one is in your future:lol:.

It's funny that we didn't find that lemon garlic chicken salty when I made it, since we both are usually pretty sensitive to a lot of salt. I may have just salted to taste when I prepared it instead of using the amount given in the recipe. That's the recipe where I saved and reused the leftover sauce a bunch of times, especially on our supply of roasted Jerusalem artichokes.

Last night I made a barbacoa-style beef in the InstantPot, with a big hunk of chuck. I've got to find another spot for the IP. It's shooting steam and splattering grease all over in an area I don't have laid out or prepared for that.

I reheated the pinto beans in a covered cast iron cocotte in the oven at 350 for a while and they melted down into luscious refried beans. Really good with the beef and some cornbread I pulled out of the freezer.

Some huge radishes had come with a SMC order, so I sliced them up as garnish, along with some sour cream. I was the one only using sour cream. Probably not necessary. This will be good with tortillas in the near future.

I also made deviled eggs, with chopped pickles, capers, and horseradish, in addition to mayo and mustard. They made a good accompaniment to the beef and beans.

• Like 1

Tonight was chicken and rice.

Pain de Campagne and butter
Radishes
Deviled eggs
One-Pan Coconut Milk-Braised Chicken
Leftover baked sweet potato
Baby lima beans and white rice

The rice didn't get done all the way in the IP, so I dumped it into the lima bean pot on the stove, which had just enough water for the rice to absorb and everything to finish together nicely. I love lima beans. I prefer fordhook to baby, but these were still good. (Giant brand.)

The chicken finally used the remainder of the expired jar of green curry paste in the fridge, and it tasted great. It worked fine with low-fat coconut milk instead of full fat. I'm not sure it needed all the garnishes, but I had them so served them.

Last night was a cream of carrot soup (Pepin recipe, and very tasty.) Also, salad. Also, BLTs on harvest grain bread. The bacon was quite salty. I wonder if I am just getting (even more) sensitive to salt.

Then, clafoutis.

On 2/23/2021 at 9:38 AM, Pat said:

Some huge radishes had come with a SMC order,

Oh my god, those GIANT black radishes? I don't love radishes, but he does. But those are pretty strong, even for him. So we have been grating it onto his salads. That seems to work well.

5 hours ago, saf said:

Oh my god, those GIANT black radishes? I don't love radishes, but he does. But those are pretty strong, even for him. So we have been grating it onto his salads. That seems to work well.

No, these are huge red radishes. After not being able to make up my mind, I gambled on getting the unlabeled organic box recently, which was fine but costs more for not a huge number of items. The sheet that came with them called them "winter radishes." I had looked at the black radishes in the available boxes and it's good to know what to do with them if I get them sometime.

Tonight was peanut noodles. I deviated from the recipe a bit, largely around stir-frying the mung bean sprouts for food safety reasons. Since I was doing that, I threw in some chopped garlic and ginger at the same time, as well as the rather elderly scallions. I figured the cooking would take the edge off the scallions. I also splashed a little soy sauce into the skillet. The grated carrots went in raw. I used whole wheat spaghettini.

The noodles were okay. I also heated up some whole wheat naan and the last of the roasted sunchokes, both of which we had with the seasoned yogurt I keep trotting out. We also had more of the deviled eggs.

2 minutes ago, Pat said:

No, these are huge red radishes. After not being able to make up my mind, I gambled on getting the unlabeled organic box recently, which was fine but costs more for not a huge number of items. The sheet that came with them called them "winter radishes." I had looked at the black radishes in the available boxes and it's good to know what to do with them if I get them sometime.

Tonight was peanut noodles.

Peanut noodles are tasty. Also, I really want deviled eggs again now.

I never get the organic box, because it is unlabeled. I prefer to plan our meals in advance, not on Monday evening when the unlabeled box arrives! What else came in it? I fear all squash, sweet potatoes, etc. I don't really like those. He does, but can only eat so much of it. And we don't like making 2 different meals every night!

I understand that the black radishes are also good roasted. But he's happy with them on the salads, so that is what he gets. They are REALLY strong radishes.

I look forward to the day that things are closer to normal, and hope that SMC will return to our farm market. I love them, but find it difficult to order an entire produce box, so we save up our dairy orders and only get dairy from them occasionally, when we order produce. I want to be able to get dairy from them all the time.

24 minutes ago, saf said:

I never get the organic box, because it is unlabeled. I prefer to plan our meals in advance, not on Monday evening when the unlabeled box arrives! What else came in it? I fear all squash, sweet potatoes, etc.

Ah, this is where it gets interesting. (The box was onion, sweet potato, carrots, winter radishes, turnips, red beets, green cabbage, Jerusalem artichokes, salad greens, and cremini mushrooms.) I'd had problems two weeks in a row with an item being missing from a produce box. I figured I'd order a box where I didn't have expectations and which is packed by someone before it gets to them. That's why I tried an organic box instead.

I plan things out in advance too, but with winter vegetables I figure they keep a pretty long time so I don't necessarily think I'll be using them right away.

Kinda boring here the last few days. Last night was more of the potato pancake brisket stuff. All potato pancakes now eaten. Some brisket remains in the freezer.

Tonight was freezer enchiladas. Chicken, cheese, random veg, black beans, red chili sauce.

Oh, and salad. And clafoutis!

• Like 1

I've really been liking the contributions of Aaron Hutcherson since he joined the Post food section. Tonight we had his recipe for Cabbage, Sausage, and White Bean Casserole. I went a little over on the ingredients, made more like a recipe and a half. (They brought more sausage than I needed for the recipe, the cabbage was 1/4 lb. heavier than called for, etc.). I didn't have quite enough heavy cream, so rounded it out with milk and then some because of making a larger amount. The cream was just at the point of souring, so I finished it none too soon. Will definitely make this again. Very homey. Tasted delicious.

We had this with bread (whole wheat naan, the last slices of pain de campagne) and salad (spring mix + extra baby arugula, radishes, Campari tomatoes, cucumber, shredded carrot, and one deviled egg half for each of us.)

• Like 2

Looking to change things up some, I ordered some cheese from Jasper Hill Farm in Vermont. (Bayley Hazen Blue is the only one of the cheeses of theirs I was familiar with, but since that is theoretically, at least, available through Whole Foods, I didn't order that one.) The cheeses arrived in good condition and the three we sampled were wonderful. Harbison is melty oozy gooey deliciousness. The Eligo comes from both cow and goat milk and is firmer but still has some softness. The hardest was Landaff, a Welsh-style cheddar, which I put out because I thought it would appeal most to my husband. I also got--but didn't put out--a Bridgman Blue for myself. (He wouldn't fight me for that one.)

I bought some rustic bread from Cameo coffee + tea at The Roost across from Potomac Avenue metro to go with the selection. I also put out some Castelvetrano olives I'd gotten in my last WF order.

This was most of my meal, but I still prepared everything I was going to make anyway, and my husband cleaned his plate. We had really juicy and moist pork tenderloin from D'Artagnan, buttermilk mashed potatoes, leftover cabbage and onion salad (served as a hot side, which I think it's better as than as a salad), and Santa Cruz applesauce. I still can't get the sauce right on this pork recipe, but it's really good nonetheless.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Pat said:

Harbison is melty oozy gooey deliciousness. 

Oh, the harbison is so good. The cheese place that used to be at Union market and is now in Charlottesville had it. And Wegs has it. So good. So stinky.