Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Working on finishing up the Christmas present food. Tonight, Saag Paneer. The sauce was part of a Christmas present from Shop Made in DC, as were the chutneys. I bought the paneer. Also salad. And naan. I had regular supermarket naan - the stonefire stuff is really quite nice. He had garlic naan from the freezer at the place I bought the paneer. Oh, and rice. Brown basmati.

Later, ice cream. And cookies. Fruit pockets from the Mediterranean Bakery. They didn't have any raspberry, which are the best, but they did have apricot and those are also tasty. I do need a recipe for these.

• Like 1

Had a busy day today, though I can't really point to much I accomplished🤨. I put together a pretty quick dinner out of leftovers.

(The last of the) Buffalo chicken wings; ranch
Soft flour tacos stuffed with meatloaf, lettuce, monterey jack, sour cream, bbq sauce; radishes
Chicken quesadillas
Baked beans

• Like 2

I made pasta sauce out of leftover meatloaf and served it over rigatoni. Also made an eggplant-pepper-basil stew, which was kind of redundant. The stew probably would have made a better pasta sauce than the meatloaf. The meal was fine but nothing spectacular..

• Like 1

Last night was too nice to not grill.  I didn't have any particular plan but I did have chicken breasts and shishito peppers.  Peppers got tossed in olive oil and then sprinkled with salt.  I sliced 2 small breasts in half so they'd cook faster, and seasoned them with a lemon-pepper mixture.  Put those on one side of the grill and peppers on the other.  Once the peppers were done, I left the chicken for a bit longer while I got out the salad ingredients.  While the chicken rested, I built the salads.  We had some leftover bean sprouts and shredded carrots so those went in, along with cucumber, celery, radishes and romaine lettuce.  Chopped up the chicken, added it to the salad and made myself stop nibbling on the peppers until my husband came back from his walk.  The peppers were great, and the salad was delicious. 

• Like 3

Pasta Primavera on rigatoni. Tomato, Yellow pepper, orange pepper, onion, broccoli, garlic, and black olives. I sautéed everything until the vegetables started to get soft, and added chopped olives at the end. I added an Italian seasoning blend and red chili flakes, then tossed it with the pasta and topped with Parmesan. Colorful and easy. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dcandohio said:

Pasta Primavera on rigatoni.

That sounds great. I haven't made pasta primavera in ages. Years ago I used to make it with an Alfredo-type sauce and toasted almonds. I've really been in a pasta mood lately but don't want to overdo it. For lunch today, I reheated last night's rigatoni with the sauce made from meatloaf and added the eggplant basil stew in as well. The combination made for an excellent pasta sauce.

Tonight we grazed. This is my favorite kind of meal. We had challah from Call Your Mother, more of the fancy cheeses from Jasper Hill Farm, chicken and lemongrass dumplings plus soy dipping sauce from NRG, Tostitos cantina style tortilla chips--so very thin and crispy and wonderful--with Tostitos jarred salsa. The main event was a Carribean seafood stew recipe from Ellie Krieger. The stew was fantastic. I used shrimp and cod from District Fishwife, plus some of her fish stock. The hot pepper was a big habanero and it was very hot, like kick your butt hot. We ate about half of the stew. The shrimp and fish were super high quality.

• Like 2

Once every decade or so I make artichokes, and tonight was it. I steamed them in the InstantPot. The most successful part of the whole enterprise was the lemon saffron yogurt dipping sauce. Damn, that was good.

The rest of the meal was cassoulet from NRG, challah and butter, leftover mac and cheese, and salad (butter lettuce, Campari tomatoes, cucumbers, radish, and feta/blue).

• Like 2

Another "once every..." dish tonight. I made the beef pot pie I found in New York Magazine in 1993 and used to make at least once a year. It's been a while. The pie crust is made with sour cream and it comes out better for me than most crusts do. It takes forever to chop all the vegetables for the filling. I allowed as much time as I used to for making it and then realized I'd have to cook the filling in the InstantPot instead of the oven if there was any hope of eating tonight. I guess I'm getting even slower at chopping than I already was🙁.

It was good, but my guesstimating as to how much liquid I'd need for the IP left me with too much vegetables in broth. I didn't want a waterlogged pie so I drained off some of the carefully chopped vegetables in liquid to make a soup tomorrow, along with the remainder of the beef chuck I'd defrosted above and beyond the amount needed for the pie.

I'd put this on the menu for this weekend a while back, not realizing today was Pi Day, so that all worked out.

We also had challah and butter and leftover lima beans. I served artichoke hearts salvaged from last night on a small salad plate with leftover green salad topped with toasted almonds; yogurt saffron sauce on the side. The final component was thin strips of egg I'd microwaved from the remainder of what was needed to brush the pie crust. I hate discarding egg wash.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2021 at 9:06 PM, Pat said:

Once every decade or so I make artichokes, and tonight was it. I steamed them in the InstantPot. The most successful part of the whole enterprise was the lemon saffron yogurt dipping sauce. Damn, that was good.

Oh, I love artichokes. I eat them several times a year. Would eat them more often, but the boy does not like them steamed, only marinated. So when I eat them, he makes a shrimp orzo thing. (I don't do seafood. It balances well.) Actually, they are on the menu for this week. I may have to try that dipping sauce. I have all the ingredients (except my yogurt is regular, but I can strain it.)

Mom would make artichokes for dinner a few times a year. She loves them, and views them as a treat. So we all, except my vegetable-hating brother, love them. So when we brought home boys she liked, she would serve them artichokes eventually. It was a HIGH compliment! Sadly, somehow, none of those boys had ever had artichokes, got intimidated, and never did learn to like artichokes. She almost scared some of them away! (One of them did eventually marry me, but as I said, he doesn't like artichokes steamed. It took YEARS to get him to eat them marinated!) Eventually my sisters and I had to tell her not to serve artichokes without warning. It was sad. We did suggest that she serve one of her other favorites, strawberry shortcake for dinner, but she only does that once a year, at the beginning of strawberry season.

It's Sunday, the weather is decent. It must be... Grill Night! Hanger steak. Twice baked potatoes. Grilled carrots. Dinner rolls. He was soooo happy to grill!

It is also pi day in a house of nerds. So, peanut butter mousse pie with a fudge sauce drizzle and chopped peanuts on top in a chocolate graham cracker crust. Tasty. Glad I have a 6" pie plate, because no way the 2 of us should eat a whole big one of these, even over the course of a week. So rich!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, saf said:

I may have to try that dipping sauce. I have all the ingredients (except my yogurt is regular, but I can strain it.)

Straining it should work fine. I mentioned in the lunch thread using some of the leftover on the toad in the hole spiced egg thingy I made today. The flavors were compatible. I hope you enjoy your artichokes. I think I'll stick with the canned ones for another bunch of years until I do this again.

Tonight was iceberg salad with cucumber, radishes, bacon, cherry tomatoes, and feta with ranch; Harbison and Eligo cheeses with challah; leftover chicken and lemongrass dumplings and dipping sauce; leftover rigatoni with meatloaf sauce + eggplant stew + sauteed zucchini and yellow squash; and, steamed broccoli with chili crisp.

Sometimes adding too much to a dish messes it up, but the additional layers from the eggplant and zucchini enhanced this pasta.

• Like 1

Pizza! Using up leftover pepperoni. Was going to use leftover frozen pizza dough too, but it wouldn't rise. So.... made new dough. And had pepperoni and mushroom pizza. It was tasty. And, of course, salad.

Ice cream soon!

• Like 1

All of that sounds wonderful. I've still got some of the saffron yogurt sauce left and need to find more uses. I don't want to waste any but I don't use much at a time.

I made a new veggie-based sauce to round out the leftover bucatini. I also made more spiced croutons today, based on the ones that went with the egg in a hole. We had some with the last of the beef vegetable soup for lunch and the rest in our dinner salad.

Leftover salad + spiced challah croutons
Leftover bucatini in enhanced pomodoro cream sauce (sautéed onions, garlic, mushrooms, peppers, and yellow and green zucchini, Italian seasoning, herbs de provence, anchovy paste, beef stock, cream)
Leftover cassoulet beans + bacon

Salmon brushed with Nando’s Perinaise (a spicy mayo) and Penzey’s Trinidad seasoning, and broiled. 
I found frozen, mashed sweet potatoes that had been in the freezer for a while. I mashed up some mango, mixed with smoked paprika, Cayenne, pomegranate vinegar, and maple syrup and swirled that into the mashed sweet potatoes. I baked it until the top was browning. There are leftovers!

• Like 1

Tonight will be sheet pan dinner.  I am a big fan of these dinners.  A big fan of serious eats I have many sheet pans and find these always work well.

Roasted red cabbage and red onions with pork loin.  All marinated beforehand with maple syrup, cider vinegar, EVOO and grain mustard. 

• Like 3

Today is leftover buffet. Beef broccoli over rice noodles does NOT reheat well. Easy chicken and rice and saffron and onions and raisins does. Also, salad. I made a new salad dressing. It's a honey mustard. Pretty good. I think I will change it to German-style mustard next time, rather than Dijon. I used regular yogurt, as I had no Greek yogurt. I think it is a good texture.

Later, ice cream!

• Like 1

We had leftover beef pot pie for dinner tonight along with roasted asparagus and green beans with tonnato sauce. I followed this recipe for the vegetables and tonnato. I roasted instead of grilling and didn't have a lot of green beans so substituted asparagus for the rest.  The roasted pepitas on top were a nice touch. Would totally make this again. The tonnato was excellent.

This was also a good use of the small jar of expensive tuna pieces I had bought for a recipe and didn't need.

• Like 2

Tonight was salad (iceberg, radishes, Campari tomatoes, orange bell pepper, feta or blue); roasted salmon (s+p, lemon, evoo, mustard, sweet paprika) with mashed potatoes (sour cream, whole milk, butter, s+p); and, leftover roasted vegetables with tonnato. Satisfying meal, eaten to the accompaniment of Charlie and Dave calling the Nats game, which deteriorated as time went on.

• Like 2

Tonight I made a chicken recipe I hadn't made in years but a classic. It's real quick and easy. Here's one place it is online.  Then there were leftovers: mashed potatoes, broccoli rabe, and stewed zucchini, tomato, etc.

We also had salad (iceberg, cucumber, radishes, orange bell pepper, bacon; soy-honey vinaigrette).

• Like 3

Tonight was supposed to be taco night, but I forgot to get avocados. So it became potato pancake night. So, salad, and potato pancakes, and sausage, and applesauce, and sour cream. Quite good. 

Last night was meatballs, basil and peach. At the beginning of the pandemic, some of my favorite farmers at the market were only doing boxes. Still working my way through some of the oddities. (Anyone need 4 ears of popcorn?) One of the things that we don't often use was a can of peaches. So a few weeks back I made a peach blueberry cake when blueberries came in a South Mountain delivery. But that only used half the peaches. So the rest went into last night's dinner. YAY! Peaches used, and it will be repeated when peaches or nectarines are in season. Also, salad, and rolls. 

I am trying to work down a freezer full of delicious sour cherries - every year we buy a flat, pit them, freeze them. Didn't use as many as usual this year, as we weren't entertaining. (A lot of them usually get used over the holidays.) So, dessert this week is sour cherry cake, and buttermilk ice cream with candied cherries. Tasty.

• Like 3

Last night we had leftover salad, excellent salmon burgers (more or less based on this Pioneer Woman recipe) on ciabatta-esque rolls; and Greek au gratin potatoes from a recipe that didn't quite work as I expected. I used the last of the lemon saffron yogurt on the burgers. That is an excellent sauce recipe I've got to keep in my back pocket. Versatile and delicious.

Tonight I tried again with the potatoes and still, eh, even with some added cream. We also finished the beef pot pie and the remaining salad (plus avocado!), had more of the roasted vegetables with tonnato, and a curried cauliflower and farro casserole from the Post. The casserole tasted good enough but, man, there's a lot of it. A whole lot. I like it but I'm not sure I like it enough for this big a batch🤨.

• Like 1

Roasted salmon with S&P with lemon wedge on the side and fish sticks for the kids

Buttered, salted pasta (added roasted garlic and italian seasoning to mine)

Cauliflower 2 ways - kids ate plain steamed, adults had roasted with montreal steak seasoning and tumeric, which turned out great). 

I relish the days when I can cook ONE flavorful meal for the whole family. This was not one of those nights. 😉

• Like 3

The roasted vegetables with tomato sauce got repurposed into a base for a chicken cacciatore-style meal tonight, using leftover Costco rotisserie chicken. There was one good hunk of thigh left but otherwise it was thickly sliced breast. I also added plenty of fresh basil from a SMC produce box, some earlier on in the sauce-building and the rest near the end after it had marinated in evoo with half a dozen quartered Campari tomatoes, s+p. It all went into the sauce. After the chicken pieces simmered in the enhanced sauce for a little while and everything was heated through, I topped the stew with sliced buffalo mozzarella I found in the freezer and grated Parmesan.

The pasta I made for this would not have pleased the judges. Medium shells were a weak choice, but I thought they were about to expire. (That was a different box. Oops.) In any case I swirled/mixed the al dente shells and some pasta water into the sauce, carefully, so as not to upend the mozzarella caps floating on top, let it go a bit longer, and then plated the creation with a large spoon. I really should have used either a thick long pasta or some kind of ridged tubes. It tasted great, though.

Salad was butter lettuce, watermelon radish, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, avocado; ranch

• Like 3

So I managed to get an avocado, so we were able to have the honey chipotle chicken tacos yesterday. They were quite good. (Also, there was a LOT left over. Stuffed it in the freezer.) I will do them again. Also, salad. And of course, cherry cake and buttermilk cherry ice cream. 

Tonight was salad with bits of avocado added on top. And chicken liver pasta. Oh man, that was delicious. No morels, we had oyster mushrooms. Later, more cake and ice cream.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, saf said:

And chicken liver pasta. Oh man, that was delicious.

Oh, I love chicken livers. Haven't had them in a long time for dietary reasons. That recipe sounds wonderful.

I wanted comfort food tonight so went for grilled cheese and tomato soup. There are Kraft singles in the fridge due to an impulse ordering purchase. I know they don't taste the way they did when I was a kid, but I have to try it out sometimes anyway. My husband doesn't like them so, after tonight, I'll be eating the rest of the package myself.

I dug around for a Michael Symon recipe I remembered for the soup and found this at Food Network. I knew the recipe I was remembering had blue cheese in it, but since I'm the only one who eats it, this seemed like it was close enough. I made that recipe and added crumbled blue cheese into mine at the table. Later I found the original, with the blue cheese. It's essentially the same recipe, except the FN one is more flexible/generic. I used Cholula for the hot sauce and added some basil chiffonade.

One thing I don't recall doing as a kid was dipping grilled cheese into the tomato soup, so I'm adopting the practice late in life. Ohhh, that was good dunking. The blue cheese really upped that experience too.

We also had more of the Tostitos cantina style tortilla chips. Those are really good. Tostitos medium salsa and homemade guacamole. I used my grid-like potato masher for that and got super fluffy guac. Most excellent.

We also had more of the curried cauliflower and farro...because we have so much of it. It seemed to round out the meal.

• Like 3

Last night:
Leftover tomato soup
Salmon and mashed potato patties on onion bagels*; lemon-caper sauce, red onion, pickles, lettuce, and tomato
Sautéed rainbow chard with balsamic
Steamed broccoli

Tonight is almost all leftovers:
Leftover salmon patties
Leftover curried cauliflower and farro
Simmered asparagus topped with grated hard-boiled eggs + leftover caper sauce
Leftover au gratin potatoes with leftover Swiss chard

*Onion bagels from Buffalo and Bergen. I prefer the ones at Bullfrog, but their pickup options complicate my life more than going to Call Your Mother, which doesn't have onion bagels. B&B has onion bagels and is good for pickup, so 🤷‍♀️.

• Like 2

On 3/24/2021 at 9:43 PM, Pat said:

Oh, I love chicken livers. Haven't had them in a long time for dietary reasons. That recipe sounds wonderful.

I don't get them as often as I want, but oh, they are so tasty.

Tonight was tamale pie. We also had the last of the homemade cream of tomato soup; baby arugula topped with salmon patties, cherry tomatoes, toasted almonds, and dressed with white balsamic vinaigrette; and, leftover asparagus with lemon caper sauce, grated egg, and toasted sesame seed.

Last night was a mishmash:
Chicken nachos with jalapenos, guacamole, and salsa
Leftover chicken wings
Leftover salmon patties
Leftover curried cauliflower and farro
Spicy pesto potato brioche (souk)

And for a rare dessert:
S’mores croissant (Souk)

The potato brioche was indeed spicy, very much so. The brioche dough seemed almost like a doughnut. The croissant was filled with chocolate mousse/pudding and topped with mushroom meringue and chocolate coins. It was beautiful, but this was so very sweet that my heart was racing afterwards. I'm not used to big infusions of sugar. I bought a box of 6 pastries from Souk and we're just halfway through.

• Like 2

Saturday - grilling in the back yard. SOOOOO nice to see people in person! 4 people. (Our usual local takeout coordination group) Didn't zoom anyone else in. So broccoli salad (brought by a friend, and so tasty), potato salad (My standard recipe - potatoes, minced onion, chopped hardboiled eggs, salt, pepper, mayo, touch of sour cream, Nance's mustard. Topped with boiled egg sliced and laid out to look like a flower), lettuce salad (lettuce, sunflower seeds, parm, golden raisins, grated carrots.) And the main event, grilled sausages. Still working on the freezer, so there were some Meat Crafters lamb and rosemary sausage, and Meat Crafters fresh kielbasa (MINE! ALL MINE!), and garlic onion brats from Holly Brook farm. Mustard and onions available. Also rolls. Brownies and smores for dessert. Also, finally got to try out my experiment of toasting peeps. Don't do it. The sugar on the outside does what I hoped and turns into creme brûlée crust. But the inside liquefies, and there was one incident... I hope the rain washed away the part I did not manage to get off the patio. It did make QUITE the splat noise as it hit the ground. Nice assortment of beer and seltzer.

(We have all had at least our first shots. We hope to be able to hang out INSIDE again at some point soon!)

Tonight, leftover soup from the freezer. BEST carrot soup recipe ever. (Thanks to Jacques Pepin.) Also, lettuce salad, and grilled cheese on delicious harvest grain bread. Swiss for me, cheddar for him. Leftover brownies later.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Pat said:

The peep incident

It was toasted. It was puffy. It had a lovely crust (albeit a bit liquid). It looked ready to eat, although it looked a bit soft. And as I pulled it back from the fire pit toward me, it slumped straight through the tines of the toasting fork, and SPLATTED on the stone between my feet. It was soooooo sad. Grabbed it with a napkin as quickly as possible, but there was a round splot of molten sugar left behind.

So, tonight. Salad. Freezer enchiladas of turkey, tomatillo sauce, and pinto beans. Green chili sauce on top. Oh, and lots of sour cream. Later, cherry almond ice cream with fudge ripple.  (yeah, that link doesn't have the fudge ripple recipe. It's all from "The Perfect Scoop.")

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Cold salad of leftover asparagus with caper sauce, egg, and sesame seeds; white balsamic
Lemongrass and chicken dumplings on a bed of baby arugula with watermelon radish slices; soy dipping sauce
Meatballs and bucatini with grated Parmesan
Steamed broccoli

We finally finished that one batch of asparagus. It was not that much but took forever to finish. I added a few splashes of white balsamic to rev it back up a little and accentuate it as a cold salad in this incarnation. The dumpling platter with the slices of enormous watermelon radish on top of the arugula looked very pretty. I splashed a little of the soy dipping sauce over the arugula before putting the other components on top. So, we effectively had two salads.

Dumplings and meatballs from NRG. Actually, the dry bucatini was too.

• Like 2

Tonight was beef bourguignon and buttered parsley noodles, with a side of steamed asparagus dressed with hot pepper sesame oil and toasted sesame seeds.

I did a curbside pickup of a bottle of Burgundy from Schneider's to make the dish and we drank most of what didn't go into the pot.

burgundy.jpg

• Like 3

Baby arugula salad with avocado, watermelon radish, cucumber, and tomatoes; ranch
Chicken and lemongrass dumplings with dipping sauce
Leftover tamale pie
Rice Pilaf

The tamale pie reheated well. I think I'll be making that recipe again, but we've still got at least a couple servings left after what we ate tonight. Since I hadn't made it in a while and I figured it would be good alongside the tamale pie, I made pilaf. It came out absolutely perfect. It smelled heavenly. It was soft and fluffy and moist. Best pilaf I've made in a long time. One cup sure does make a lot of rice.

They probably didn't go with the rest of the meal, but we finished the NRG dumplings.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Pat said:

One cup sure does make a lot of rice.

It does!

Last night was Navajo tacos. I thawed the remainder of last week's chipotle chicken and made some very delicious fry bread. Guacamole, sour cream, cheese, so good. Also salad.

I also made some nice Italian cherry-almond cookies to go with the ice cream. (That recipe cooks them for too high and too long. 12 minutes at 350 worked much better, after I almost burned the first pan.) Yes, I am trying to use down the large amount of frozen sour cherries! Accepting recipe recommendations! (No coconut please. NO cilantro, ever. Sweet or savory is good.)

• Like 2

Tonight we had turkey black bean chili, mushroom toasts, and leftover rice pilaf. It all went together very well.

I used Bay's English muffins for the toasts, just put them in the toaster to crisp and then spread the creme fraiche on, no butter. For the mushrooms, I used about 18 oz. mixed white mushrooms, shiitakes, and one of those gourmet wild mushroom blends from the supermarket. I had my chili over the rice. My husband, the purist, ate them separately. He had three helpings of rice . I had two, albeit smaller, ones. We still have a fair amount left.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Pat said:

mushroom toasts

I used Bay's English muffins for the toasts, just put them in the toaster to crisp and then spread the creme fraiche on, no butter. For the mushrooms, I used about 18 oz. mixed white mushrooms, shiitakes, and one of those gourmet wild mushroom blends from the supermarket.

Ooh, mushroom toasts sound really tasty. I have some leftover creme fraiche.

Those mushroom toasts were really nice. I had a few old white mushrooms left that didn't go into that and needed to be used, so I sliced and sauteed them and added them to quesadillas with refried beans and the last of the Eligo cheese tonight. That is a good melting cheese.

We also had leftover tamale pie, leftover salad, and kielbasa from Red Apron/NRG simmered in DC Brau Penn Quarter Porter.

• Like 1

Last night was sourdough bread and butter, poussin roasted in the air fryer, mashed potato casserole, and green beans with creme fraiche and walnuts.

The poussin was from D'Artagnan. I sort of followed the instructions here and it came out really well. I still have some Schwartz's Montreal poultry seasoning from a trip my husband made to Montreal several years ago.  Some recipes called for that seasoning but no oil, but I think rubbing the bird with some oil was a good idea.

• Like 1

Due to some scheduling/logistics issues, the lamb that was supposed to be for last night was tonight.

Last night was instead:
Salad (romaine, shaved watermelon radish and cucumber, crumbled bacon; ranch)
Sourdough bread and butter
Turkey meatloaf topped with bacon and tomato glaze
Asparagus with lemon aioli
Leftover mashed potato casserole

Tonight:
Salad (romaine, Campari tomatoes, cucumber, cashews or blue cheese; ranch)
Sourdough bread and butter
Roasted cumin lamb sirloin
Leftover green beans with French’s fried onions
Leftover asparagus with lemon aioli

• Like 2

Last night was taquitos. (Often the result of the boy cooking a whole chicken, as on Sunday). Really, so tasty, and a good excuse for a guacamole feast. Also, salad.

Tonight was freezer food. Chilis rellenos (stuffed with chicken, cheese, and red taco sauce.) When pepper season runs down, we grab anaheims, and sometimes poblanos, although I far prefer anaheims, and he grills them. I skin them, gut them, stuff them, and freeze them. We have one more dinner of them left in the freezer after tonight. They freeze remarkably well. Also, salad.

And of course, more CHOCOFLAN!

• Like 2