JPW

Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

Spent yesterday smokin' -- a slab 'o pork ribs. Then it rained -- well, ok, spritzed is the better description, and I thought I'd have to finish them in the oven. But the Gods were kind and it stopped spritzing and I was able to fire up the grill to finish the ribs. Um-Um delicious. The secret (aside from apple wood) -- my hoisin based marinade and finishing sauce. Losen my tongue with a few glasses of wine and I may divulge it one of these days.

Hamburgers that would make Frank Ruta jealous!

The buns, however, needed an upgrade.

Leg of Aussie lamb from Trader Joe's. Very nice. Pan gravy. Haricots verts and a spring green salad. Barossa shiraz (Shotfire Ridge, OK for the price.) Couple of Macallans.

Screw diets and screw abstaining.

PS: Bought a bag full of Bahn Mi from An Binh the other day and put some in the fridge. Today I nuked one for breakfast. I highly recommend hot white radish with your morning coffee.

Edited by Stretch

It was didn't go shopping, let's see what's left in the fridge, freezer, pantry night.

Grilled spicy sausage on focaccia bread, grilled potatoes, mixed green salad with vine ripe cherry tomatoes.

Had it with an 03' Rock Rabbit Syrah, that opened up nicely by the end of the meal.

post-121-1118012186_thumb.jpg

It was didn't go shopping, let's see what's left in the fridge, freezer, pantry night.

Ditto. Cold leg of lamb and tapenade in wholewheat pitas. Hummus and salad on the side. Bottle of Abadia Retuerta. Power, and aircon, and fans, went out halfway through dinner so family repaired early to bed by candlelight with a couple of beers, on the grounds that they would just get all warm anyway.

Thai night last night.

Pad Ka Prow with chicken and larb with pork.

washed down with a couple bottles of Victory Prima Pils.

Had six split chicken breast halves to deal with (one of those buy one get one free deals at Safeway). They were Purdue's birds so I new I would have to spice them up in order for them to have some degree of tastiness. I cross halved each one and then sprinkled liberally with some Penzey's lemon pepper salt blend and smoked Spanish Paprika before throwing them on the barbecue over some mesquite. I whipped up my own barbecue sauce and the end result was quite delicious with plenty of left over chicken for this week. Enjoyed it with some ratatouille and a bot of Gruner Vertliner.

Sunnyside steaks on the gril, some greens with a simple lemon vinaigrette, the last of the ricotta torte, but most importantly NO TOMATO SAUCE. :lol:

That will figure into dinner tonight and many more in the upcoming weeks....

the last of the ricotta torte
The first one or the second one?!? :lol:

Hmm, we are also have something with tomato sauce for dinner tonight...

The first one or the second one?!?  :lol:

The second one was deemed unedible and tossed. I need to go back and re-read the recipe and see what needs to be corrected. Live and learn...

Joe, what recipe do you use?

None really.

Lan Chi Chili Paste with garlic (Whole Foods). Toast the paste in some oil. Stir Fry meat. toss in basil and onion (or other veggie du jour). stir fry for a minute and then finish off with a little stock.

Picked up some nice Mahi Mahi from Wegman's yesterday. Briefly marinated it in a soy/orange juice/mirin concoction, and threw it on the grill. Washed down with a couple of glasses of Domaines de Pouy. Delicious.

Cream of roasted asparagus soup and a sirloin tip steak I picked up at Sunnyside. This was the first time I was disappointed with their meat. It was chewy and not nearly as flavorful as their other cuts.

Could someone please tell me why I felt the need to turn on the oven on the hottest day of the year? :lol:

Cream of roasted asparagus soup

This is on the menu for tomorrow night.

Tonight I used the pasta dough I took home from Saturday's lesson as the basis for Papardelle Bolognese from the Babbo Cookbook.

pastabolognese5do.jpg

Nothing like two light meals in a row on hot summer nights.

Edited by bilrus

Could someone please tell me why I felt the need to turn on the oven on the hottest day of the year? :lol:

I did the same thing. Must be some kind of curse or something.

Grilled Caribbean-marinaded tuna steaks.

Pouch fried peppers

Steamed broccoli

Hugues Beaulieu Picpoul de Pinet

How do?

"Pouch fried" was the best term I could come up with

Thinly sliced bell peppers with lots of olive oil, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.

Put in aluminum foil pouch and toss on back of grill.

OMG! My husband would plotz if I showed this to him.

Took him to St. Louis, showed him Amighettis, took him to Steak and Shake, made him toasted ravioli. (It was too cold for Ted Drewes.) Bought him Bissingers Chocolates. What is he still talking about six months later?

Imos Pizza. I've never seen a non-native take to it the way he did.

So the mail-order stuff from Imos works well????

Jennifer

OMG! My husband would plotz if I showed this to him.

Took him to St. Louis, showed him Amighettis, took him to Steak and Shake, made him toasted ravioli. (It was too cold for Ted Drewes.) Bought him Bissingers Chocolates. What is he still talking about six months later?

Imos Pizza. I've never seen a non-native take to it the way he did.

So the mail-order stuff from Imos works well????

Jennifer

Yep it works very well. If you want to read more, I expounded a bit in this thread.

And my Ohioan wife didn't miss a beat in helping me put away the two pizzas I made tonight. She picked up the habit (and many of the others you mentioned above) pretty quickly. Edited by RWBooneJr.