Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Yesterday was homemade chicken soup. Bought two small chickens, onions, carrots and celery to practice our newly acquired Knife skills. (we needed to reinforce what we learned!) Accompanied by leftover bread from a family meal at Moby Dick on Saturday. Also sauteed the chicken livers for an appetizer, and cooked up some mushrooms that were on their last legs in the fridge with a little butter, s&p and fresh thyme.

salad of baby arugula and pea greens, tuna, tangerine sections, tomatoes, olives, and toasted almonds; vinaigrette

zucchini-cheese casserole

This was another "clean out the refrigerator" meal. The casserole was the remaining uncooked mixture from the zucchini balls I made a few days ago, topped with bread crumbs and parmesan and baked for an hour. It was okay but needed something else. The salad was pretty good.

Homemade brown* chicken soup with what I call "Italian Spaetzle" which is farina, parmesan and egg run through a ricer into the hot soup.

Atwater sourdough bread slathered with butter.

* The soup gets the same color as a brown stock but without roasting the bones. I add tomato paste to the stock while cooking and then allow the soup to gel together overnight. The next day I skim the fat, warm it up a bit and remove the inner basket with all the wings, necks and vegetables. Strain it through cheesecloth and add the "dumplings".

Hamburgers! YAY!

Sliced tomato, red onion, parmesan "shavings,"* balsamic-beef-soy sauce-red wine reduction (SO GOOD!!!)

Russet potatoes crisped up in garlic butter

Lemon-garlic-dill mayo dip for the potatoes

Wegman's spring mix salad w/ herbs

*Can they really be considered "shavings" when I slice them a quarter inch thick???

1113071856dh4.jpg

Sorry for the quality. My Canon's batteries were dead, so I took this with my cellphone and did my best to enhance it in Photoshop.

Cold salad plate: Jumbo pasta shells stuffed with curried chicken salad; garnished with small tomato halves.

I usually don't use too many fresh tomatoes in the winter because they're not very good and/or are very expensive. I respect seasonality, but sometimes I want a tomato in the winter :blink:. My fallback used to be buying plum tomatoes, which tend to be far better off-season than beefsteak tomatoes. For some time now, though, I've been buying the Campari tomatoes at Costco. The quality is quite good. They're advertised as greenhouse grown, vine-ripened, and herbicide-free. I'm not quite sure what the trick is to these dream tomatoes, and I don't think I want to know, because I want to keep buying them :P

For some time now, though, I've been buying the Campari tomatoes at Costco. The quality is quite good. They're advertised as greenhouse grown, vine-ripened, and herbicide-free. I'm not quite sure what the trick is to these dream tomatoes, and I don't think I want to know, because I want to keep buying them :blink:

No trick. They just have a fairly large carbon footprint, as do most Costco produce items, whch are shipped long distances. But hey, nobody's perfect. You do as much as you can, in terms of being a locavore. In the winter, a smaller percentage of your purchases are going to be local.

Last night:

Herb-brined Eco-Friendly pork rib chops with Marsala pan reduction sauce

Polenta cakes

Green beans with garlic, red pepper and tomato (the beans were on sale at WF Tenley for 99 cents a pound yesterday)

2005 Castel Del Monte Rosso

Green beans with garlic, red pepper and tomato (the beans were on sale at WF Tenley for 99 cents a pound yesterday)
No doubt to encourage shoppers to buy fresh green beans for their Thanksgiving casserole.

Stuffed eggplant w lots of toasted pine nuts, baked in a tomatoey-onion sauce w Syrian spice mixture, pomegranate molasses and fresh pomegranate juice.

An additional sauce of garlicky-tahini laced yogurt (delicious & quick) drizzled on top w parsley, spices & pomegranate seeds.

Basmati rice.

It's nice to see more variety in the kinds of fresh fruit associated with this time of year. It's not just apples, oranges, bananas, pears with an occasional pineapple thrown in. Quince. Pomegranates. Persimmons.

No trick. They just have a fairly large carbon footprint, as do most Costco produce items, whch are shipped long distances. But hey, nobody's perfect. You do as much as you can, in terms of being a locavore. In the winter, a smaller percentage of your purchases are going to be local.

Local food can sometimes consume more energy, especially when it is shipped -- even short distances -- by truck.

Speaking of which, has anyone seen quinces recently in local markets? I'm looking for one.

They can often be found at Balducci. I got some at the Dupont farmers' market, and also got a few at Halalco in Falls Church. The Asian markets often have them.

Which reminds me--I forgot to mention the condimento I made to go with my pork chops last night--quince mostarda.

Tonight:

Lasagna Bolognese with homemade ricotta and fresh mozzarella from Vace

Salad with avocado oil-lemon vinaigrette

Trader Joe's chocolate chip ice cream sandwich

2004 La Colombaia Valpolicella Ripasso

I made takikomi gohan for dinner tonight. Takikomi gohan is rice boiled with seasoned liquid and whatever ingredients you want to put in it. I used julienned carrot, slice shiitake, shaved burdock root, chicken thigh, and aburaage (deep-fried tofu skin).

post-971-1195304484_thumb.jpg

Rice, then water and seasonings, then the rest of the ingredients went into the rice cooker, which has a takikomi gohan function. One hour later, we had this:

post-971-1195304507_thumb.jpg

Holy crap, was it good.

Turkey chili with Rio Zape heirloom beans

served over fresh bucatini from Eastern Market; topped with scallions and grated Cabot sharp cheddar

Marvelous Market striata with kalamata olive oil and rosemary for dipping

They can often be found at Balducci. I got some at the Dupont farmers' market, and also got a few at Halalco in Falls Church. The Asian markets often have them.
Thanks! I struck out at Balducci today, but I'll try the Dupont market tomorrow, and if I strike out there, I guess I'll head for Falls Church.

Would you/could you do this without a rice cooker? What was the seasoned liquid?

I made takikomi gohan for dinner tonight. Takikomi gohan is rice boiled with seasoned liquid and whatever ingredients you want to put in it. I used julienned carrot, slice shiitake, shaved burdock root, chicken thigh, and aburaage (deep-fried tofu skin).

Would you/could you do this without a rice cooker? What was the seasoned liquid?
You can make it without a rice cooker. People use either clay pots (donabe) or stainless/aluminum pans. I understand from looking at some other recipes that how you heat your cooking vessel depends on which you're using (i.e., high heat first for a donabe, low for metal pans).

The liquid was the water in which the rice soaked while I prepped the rest of the ingredients, plus sake, sugar, mirin, soy sauce, and a splash of dashi.

So glad to be back in the kitchen after a week in Vegas! Last night was slow-cooked pork in the form of Asian wraps (served in flour tortillas, since I didn't have lettuce on hand) with sliced cucumbers. Tonight was rosemary- and mustard-seasoned steaks (broiled, since I have no grill) with cooked carrots and roasted potatoes (which were a mix of yukon gold and sweet). Feels good to get some nutrition...

Marinated brown lentils

What did you marinate them in?

To contribute to this thread, I made the posole recipe out of the Dean & Deluca cookbook, which I've made before but with cubanelles. This time, I used poblanos instead, and it was the best batch we've had - much better depth. With a good toss of cilantro and lime, it was incredible.

What did you marinate them in?

To contribute to this thread, I made the posole recipe out of the Dean & Deluca cookbook, which I've made before but with cubanelles. This time, I used poblanos instead, and it was the best batch we've had - much better depth. With a good toss of cilantro and lime, it was incredible.

The brown lentils were marinated with olive oil, red wine vinegar, roasted garlic, chopped fresh basil, grated carrot and some diced red poblano for a bit of heat. And sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, of course.

Was your posole red or green? What manner of pork?

Tonight after quite a hiatus, I cooked. I made a cream of mushroom soup using a mixture of dried mushrooms and fresh button mushrooms. I reviewed recipes from Epicurious, Anthony Bourdain, Mark Bittman, recipe source and the back of the dried mushroom container. (Believe it or not, the back of the mushroom container came closest to what I finally made.) The soup was really good even Ol_Ironstomach said it was very good.

I drank a trimback pinot gris that we found in NJ on our last pilgrimage to NYC.

Now I am sleepy :blink:

Chocolate black bean tostadas from Heidi Swanson's Super Natural Cooking.

I liked her 101 Cookbooks blog when she had it up, and I decided to try this cookbook. I'm not sure I want to acquire or make all of the ingredients she calls for, but it's a beautiful and interesting book.

The tostadas were good. The beans didn't require as much chocolate as the recipe called for, IMO. It called for 2 (4 oz.) chocolate bars, and I used 2 (Lindt 70% Cocoa Intense Dark) that were 3.5 oz. each. It was too much. I'm not a huge chocolate fan. It's okay, but I don't go nuts for it. To me, the amount of chocolate I used overwhelmed the taste of the spices in the beans. To someone else, it might be different. I'll use just 1 chocolate bar next time, but I'll definitely make this again.

I just got a big box of Rancho Gordo beans. :blink: Tonight's dinner:

Soup made with RG cellini runner beans, lacinato kale, homemade chicken stock, smoked paprika, and chorizo

Bonaparte baguette

a bottle of "The Shadow"

Homemade butterscotch ice cream or Dolcezza bosc pear & bourbon sorbet

Last night:

green salad with vinaigrette

baked chicken breasts

rice pilaf

steamed broccoli with sesame hot pepper oil

This was the first Thanksgiving in the many years I've been going to my husband's family Thanksgivings that there was no rice pilaf, so I made some last night to go with our chicken. Maybe I'll volunteer to make it next year to ensure there is some. (When we got back home and I commented to my husband that I noticed one traditional food was not present at the meal--a rather large spread--he knew immediately which dish I was referring to. There's always pilaf at Thanksgiving.)

Last night:

Cream of crimini mushroom and roasted chestnut soup with leeks, great northern beans and Russian kale*

Atwater Bakery Struan bread

Rustic apple tart and gingered quince tart

2005 Pascal Jolivet Pouilly Fumé

*The base of this soup was the rest of the brown turkey stock that I didn't use for the T-day dressing and gravy. I had a lot of chestnuts that didn't go into the dressing, and they were roasted over a fire on Saturday. I peeled and ground them into a fine meal, and they basically thickened the soup. I also added some leftover creamed onions, porcini powder and bits of turkey meat, and the last of the Lewes Dairy heavy cream. Wicked good winter soup.