JPW

Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

Tonight was baked chicken breasts; leftover wild rice and broccoli; green leaf lettuce with grape tomatoes and white wine vinaigrette; and, garlic naan. When our oven was malfunctioning (one of the times...) and the convection setting worked fine but not the conventional, I discovered that chicken done on convection comes out beautifully moist on the inside with a crispy brown skin, and in a shorter time. I remembered that tonight. Wow, that chicken was good.

• Like 1

Singapore Noodles...pretty damn good. 

Recipe from Serious Eats.  I made it without the char siu pork, because I have no idea where I would buy some in the district (Full Key maybe?).  I would watch the sodium levels with this dish, between the fish sauce and the soy sauce and the recipe calling to season with salt at the end.  But overall I thought the recipe worked out very well. 

Singapore Noodles.jpg

• Like 3

So today was an odd day.  We flew home from Miami, and picked up the pieces from our garage having a pipe burst in the ceiling and flood the place.  So in good news, Hubby was home for me to cook a corned beef, in bad news, our whole ceiling and insulation got ripped out.  I meant to pick up rye bread and etc at the store, but forgot.  So I made baked Japanese yams, sliced thinly with miso, broth, butter and soy.  And then I steamed broccoli.  It was an odd selection of sides, but that is what Hubby wanted, since I didn't have normal potatoes. 

• Sad 2

Grilled flank steak, marinated in red wine, soy sauce, Thai chili garlic sauce, maple syrup, pomegranate balsamic vinegar. Twice baked potatoes, Caesar salad,  store-bought brownies. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

So today was an odd day.  We flew home from Miami, and picked up the pieces from our garage having a pipe burst in the ceiling and flood the place.  So in good news, Hubby was home for me to cook a corned beef, in bad news, our whole ceiling and insulation got ripped out.  I meant to pick up rye bread and etc at the store, but forgot.  So I made baked Japanese yams, sliced thinly with miso, broth, butter and soy.  And then I steamed broccoli.  It was an odd selection of sides, but that is what Hubby wanted, since I didn't have normal potatoes. 

Ick. The joys of home ownership. The preparation for those yams sounds great, though!

Last night I made pulled turkey with homemade bbq sauce, served on whole wheat hamburger buns, with pickles, and a red cabbage and carrot slaw. I also baked some chicken legs, which I'd marinated in buttermilk. My husband had one of those too. I just stuck to sandwich and slaw. It was kind of like a midsummer grilling meal, but done inside in late winter. Summer's coming. Sixteen days till Opening Day!

• Like 1

Working on the home made pizza.  This time with Jim Lahey's no knead pizza dough, using King Arthur Bread Flour.  Baked at 550 degrees for about 13 minutes on sheet pans. 

Pizza:  Pesto, caramelized onions, thinly sliced tomatoes, goat cheese.

Pizza No Knead.jpg

• Like 4

Baked chicken legs, steamed asparagus, and rice pilaf last night. I used homemade chicken stock to cook the pilaf. That's always a good choice when I have it available.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2019 at 7:29 AM, Tweaked said:

Oooooh, good reminder (and pic!), as we love Singapore noodles and have often thought we could try it at home. 

Not much cooking yesterday, as we went out to celebrate a birthday, but I did put up a few pans of roasted vegetables (zucchini and asparagus), made a skillet of sauteed zucchini with the extras that didn't fit on the sheet pans, and cut up carrot sticks and cantaloupe to have healthy stuff readily available in the fridge. 

Over the weekend we made a bazillion meatballs in sauce to eat with spaghetti, and have subsequently been eating meatball subs on bakery bread with gusto and glee. I also made what is probably the last batch of chicken/corn/egg soup for the season, as it is finally looking like the sun is here to stay.  I've been eating down the kalua pork we've had for too long in the freezer for lunches, microwaved over rice, mashed with a hard-boiled egg, with some of my zucchini. It's actually a pretty good combination. 

• Like 2

More pulled turkey sandwiches and slaw last night, plus buttered parsley potatoes.

• Like 1

Last night was an eggplant and rigatoni dish from the NYT, served with roasted lamb shoulder. The recipe wasn't really that great. I might do something like it again using my own instincts rather than following that recipe. I thought the lamb was good along with it. We also had a salad of iceberg lettuce, grape tomatoes, hard-boiled egg, and ranch.

• Like 1

Pulled pork nachos last night, topped with refried beans and sliced jalapenos. I had slow cooked the pork a couple days before with a sour ale, onion, dried spices, and bay leaf. Plus more salad from the night before.

• Like 1

Hubby made a vegetarian lentil shepherd pie from The Kitchn and it was delicious. 

• Like 1

Some pix from last weekend:

DSC00381-001.JPG.28cb5f1d33723c3cff1519d6271e7ae6.JPG

DSC00386-001.JPG.c91b17d6851c121ce6e8f1a6d83d7f12.JPG

DSC00392-001.JPG.325cb5c29ed2ff1aa7358813dd8c5b64.JPG

DSC00402-001.JPG.f52cee172b29f85a3817088467e988cd.JPG

DSC00426-001.JPG.11e2a399e218e2f7ef8c1b2b123a5e2a.JPG

Minestrone alla piemontese

This version takes about an hour to prep and cooks for 5-6 hours. It doesn't contain any tomato and the recipe hails from a trattoria in northwestern Italy (Trattoria Razmataz located at Via Vincenzo Bellini 24, Alessandria, Italy 15121, tel.: +39 0131 223249).

There was also this:

DSC00405-001.JPG.9a1658d5a9614e49c62730b21432832e.JPG

DSC00408-001.JPG.590cd122d45c7c092e705c618d51a0ec.JPG

DSC00438-001.JPG.ce149265496ce37a556f59196387bb14.JPG

Shortbread cookies with Meyer lemon curd.

The curd was a tad overbaked. That's ok, my co-workers didn't mind.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2019 at 7:29 AM, Tweaked said:

Recipe from Serious Eats.  I made it without the char siu pork, because I have no idea where I would buy some in the district (Full Key maybe?).  I would watch the sodium levels with this dish, between the fish sauce and the soy sauce and the recipe calling to season with salt at the end.  But overall I thought the recipe worked out very well. 

Singapore Noodles.jpg

Looks wonderful.

I bet it was awesome too.

• Like 1

We had meatballs for dinner tonight.

I've posted my recipe elsewhere in this thread but here it is again for convenience. ;) 

DSC00589-001.JPG.9c30be790b30dd87960c2be236c71d02.JPG

170 g fresh breadcrumbs
60 ml whole milk
400 g ground pork
200 g ground beef
32 g chopped mortadella
1 egg
30 g grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
a pinch of grated nutmeg
3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
2 tablespoons finely chopped mint
salt
black pepper

800 ml crushed tomatoes
1 garlic clove
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 bay leaf

This is my basic recipe for meatballs with the addition of 32 g (1/4 cup) chopped mortadella. The original recipe is from My Kitchen in Rome (which I highly recommend if you love Italian cooking). I've made about 4/5 of the recipes in Rachel's book so you know it's a keeper. Her recipe reverses the proportions of beef to pork but I love the sweetness of ground pork, so there you go. Quantities are also a bit different above and reflect my personal preference. We like our meatballs with not as much breadcrumbs and more herbs, but you might feel differently.

DSC00591-001.JPG.68b0c3092b64cb81392d0188747ae7e2.JPG

Add the milk to the breadcrumbs. Soak for 10-15 minutes, then squeeze out liquid. Combine breadcrumb mixture, pork, beef, mortadella, egg, cheese, nutmeg, parsley and mint in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Since the cheese will be salty, go easy on the seasoning.

DSC00594-001.JPG.d9dfaa44fec9f1883deb5bc83ea34706.JPG

It'll end up looking like this. Form meatballs with a teaspoon.

DSC00597-001.JPG.b1e0d84531552acfa4df60c3f247729e.JPG

Line a cookie sheet with foil, then again with parchment paper. Arrange meatballs on top of parchment paper. You'll end up anywhere between 15-20 meatballs.

I like my meatballs golf-ball sized. In the beginning, I'd fry them in olive oil but those ended up greasy. Baking renders them lighter plus you don't need to roll them in flour or cover them in breadcrumbs. Preheat oven at 350 F. Bake at 350 F for 15 minutes.

DSC00600-001.JPG.817878f26f9711f2aecfa8373a9c34c9.JPG

The sauce is really simple.

Warm 3 tablespoons olive oil in a Dutch oven or large pot. Add some garlic cloves that you've crushed with the back of a spoon. Fry the garlic in the oil over low heat or until the garlic gives off a fragrance that makes your mouth water. This will take some time (at least 15 minutes) and you'll know it's the right moment when the garlic begins to brown.

DSC00603-001.JPG.733171f0a6e24b77aa0829f9fe6b03cc.JPG

Next, add the tomatoes, a bay leaf and a pinch of salt. I sometimes like to add some water to the can, slosh it a bit, then add that to the pot.

Raise the heat, bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.

Then add the meatballs to the pot, cover and braise for 30 minutes. Don't forget to stir every so often.

DSC00606-001.JPG.053f74a3a3024bbb9a03ea6784fb1ba7.JPG

DSC00608-001.JPG.a9e0d52a36418c844380b4393634ca8f.JPG

I like to serve these as is, or with grated cheese.

• Like 4

Oh man!   So now I need to add mortadella...just when I thought I had it down pat.   

Spoil sport!!!!

😂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DaveO said:

Oh man!   So now I need to add mortadella...just when I thought I had it down pat.   

Spoil sport!!!!

😂

I hadn't thought of mortadella in meatballs before I tried the Giada DeLaurentiis recipe recently for mortadella meatball sliders. They were great. That called for a 2:1 ratio of ground pork to mortadella (no beef). Definitely try adding it.

Last night I braised chicken thighs in a one-skillet meal: chicken, sliced mushrooms, shallot, potato chunks, grape tomatoes, and whole green beans. I kind of made this up as I went along. The liquid was a combination of the last of some homemade chicken stock and the last bit of some boxed broth. The green beans went in to steam with the lid on near the end of the cooking time. I'd gotten the beans from one of the vendors outside at Eastern Market on Saturday. They were really nice quality. I washed them and kept them intact for the dish.  We also had some homemade garlic pita chips and Cava roasted garlic hummus.

• Like 2

Over the weekend, I made a greens and grain bowl with mixed wild/brown rice, lettuce, lotus root, bell pepper and onion sauteed with lemongrass and ginger, chicken spinach meatballs from costco, and a miso vinaigrette.  

I also made ruebens- I didn't have pickle relish for the Russian dressing, so I used some banana pepper juice, capers and caper juice instead, tasted good to me.

• Like 2

Last night was cheeseburgers with sauteed mushrooms (no bun); leftover steamed broccoli; and spring mix topped with chilled steamed asparagus and grated hard-boiled egg, dressed with white wine - lemon vinaigrette.

• Like 2

Over the weekend, we made gochujang rice cakes with kale and ground turkey and "paratha burritos," which are curried ground beef, chopped tomatoes and cucumbers, and garlic yogurt sauce wrapped in parathas (bought frozen from Ranch 99). We'll probably make the paratha burritos again later this week since we still have all the ingredients. We also roasted up a tri-tip and a bunch of zucchinis and made a loaf of soda bread.  

Monday night I stir-fried some peppers, zucchini, and mushrooms with fajita-ish spices, made a pot of rice, and a big bowl of guacamole. Together with the leftover tri-tip and chopped tomatoes we've been having some rather excellent Mexican-style bowls for dinner/lunch.  Yesterday we made a batch of cheesy tuna mac, roasted up a couple pans of asparagus, made a meaty tomato sauce to eat with spaghetti, and prepped a fruit salad of cantaloupe, honey mango, and blackberries.

• Like 4

I made the blueberry-pistachio tabbouleh recipe from Joy the Baker again yesterday. That is a great variation on tabbouleh. It's still savory because blueberries aren't very sweet, but it's a nice twist. We also had black bean and tomatillo soup (creme fraiche, avocado, cilantro), and multigrain sourdough bread and butter.

• Like 2

Salad of iceberg lettuce, red cabbage, and cucumber with lemon - white wine vinaigrette
Tuna noodle casserole

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Pat said:

Salad of iceberg lettuce, red cabbage, and cucumber with lemon - white wine vinaigrette
Tuna noodle casserole

Without going to the store, what was the alternative? This sounds like a good fridge cleanout. :)