JPW

Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

Spaghetti with pork tomato ragu

• Like 1

Last night was another boar ragu- this one with a healthy amount of red wine and paprika, which I thickened up a good deal after cooking in the instant pot. After 1 hour in the instant pot, it is tear apart tender.  I ate mine over butternut squash zoodles.  MK had his with basmati rice.  We had a side of roasted leek, poblano, bell pepper and broccoli. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

Last night was another boar ragu- this one with a healthy amount of red wine and paprika, which I thickened up a good deal after cooking in the instant pot. After 1 hour in the instant pot, it is tear apart tender.  I ate mine over butternut squash zoodles.  MK had his with basmati rice.  We had a side of roasted leek, poblano, bell pepper and broccoli. 

boar? Where did you find boar? Sorry if I missed an earlier reference. 

Baked chicken breasts
Roasted Yukon Gold potatoes
Vegetable medley (frozen corn, fresh broccoli, and red bell pepper)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Smita Nordwall said:

boar? Where did you find boar? Sorry if I missed an earlier reference. 

I have a friend that goes and hunts one every so many years.  They were cleaning out their chest freezer to make room for venison, and I was the recipient of a lot of boar from this past year. (When you grow up in the sticks and people know you like to cook, you end up being offered interesting things from time to time.  I also randonly take things from my Aunt's huge chest freezer, as is our policy, she doesn't get us Christmas presents, she stocks meat, speaking of this, I need to turn last year's beef liver into a pate...)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ktmoomau said:

, I need to turn last year's beef liver into a pate...)

OMG, What do I need to do to beg a taste? I had boar in Italy... it was a flavor I will never forget. Nor the smell of the small piece of boar sausage that slipped into the depths of our backpack for several days... 

Last night we had a salad of romaine, Campari tomatoes, red bell pepper, chicken breast, and avocado with vinaigrette (Mine also had blue cheese.) There was also yet another discounted &pizza. I've taken to just selecting items for them on a whim. This had, among other things, chicken, chickpeas, mushroom truffle sauce, and arugula.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pat said:

chicken, chickpeas, mushroom truffle sauce, and arugula.

I’d eat that. 

16 hours ago, leleboo said:

I’d eat that. 

It was pretty good. Now that I've been eating these more, I realize that my initial dislike of them is that I usually order pizza for a meal and these don't seem that substantial. They're also not a traditional pizza, more like the Chipotle or Roti model applied to a slipper-shaped flatbread. . But, as part of a meal with other things, they work nicely as a course or supplement.

Last night was cream of wild rice soup, more of the salad, and tuna melts with provolone.

Luckys, grocery chain that I love, had U8 scallops on sale for 9.99 a pound. They had been frozen, but when I opened them up, they smelled really sweet. I pan seared them with just salt and pepper, and served them on top of diced sautéed yellow squash. I drizzled over a sauce of lime, butter, garlic and hot chile powder.  A simple, high-protein, low-carb meal. 

• Like 2

Romaine, tomato, and avocado with vinaigrette
Baked salmon fillet with lemon tarragon butter
Rice pilaf with peas and corn

• Like 1

We've been working on cleaning out the pantry and freezer recently.  Looking at things to use up, I had red lentils, rice and some frozen stew beef.  I was in the mood for Ethiopian, so I made Ethiopian Beef Stew Key Wat with the lentil stew as suggested and served it over rice.  I did the beef in the Instant Pot and the lentils on the stove since lentils cook so quickly.  

• Like 3

Oven pot roast -- the foil-wrapped, homemade onion soup mix kind again
Roasted honey nut squash with butter and date syrup
Green beans

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pat said:

Oven pot roast -- the foil-wrapped, homemade onion soup mix kind 

One of my faves

Last night we had beef tacos, made with shredded/chunked leftover pot roast and flour tortillas. I reheated the meat in a little of the "gravy" that accumulates in the foil packet during cooking. It was nice and moist. Toppings and accompaniments: shredded Napa cabbage, chopped tomatoes, grated pepper jack cheese, roasted poblano and jalapeno peppers, sour cream, black beans, and leftover rice pilaf with peas and corn.

• Like 1

Yesterday I made roast beef (stovetop), which I sliced. I had a yummy homemade roast beef sandwich for dinner, and then they froze the rest of it, along with the gravy, in sandwich-size servings in Ziploc bags. 

• Like 1

Last evening, roast chicken w/ potatoes, carrots, fennel, onions, and a side of sauteed  spinach.  Pretty yummy mostly as a result of stuffing the cavity with tasty spices and lemon.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, DaveO said:

Last evening, roast chicken w/ potatoes, carrots, fennel, onions, and a side of sauteed  spinach.  Pretty yummy mostly as a result of stuffing the cavity with tasty spices and lemon.

I love stuffing a chicken cavity with lemons. Makes for an excellent flavor. 

• Like 1

Beef vegetable soup
Whole wheat naan and peanut butter
Romaine, hard-boiled eggs, tomatoes, avocado, and red wine vinaigrette

• Like 1

This week has been crazy.  I made shredded chicken in the instant pot earlier this week that we could have on salad or in wraps or etc. Tonight I managed to cook and we had chorizo tacos because chorizo was the only meat I had that wasn't frozen, except for the shredded chicken.  I also used the last of the tamales from before it got cold to make a base for posole, which will use up the last of the shredded chicken if I can remember to buy some hominy tomorrow. 

On 11/12/2019 at 10:52 AM, DaveO said:

I love stuffing a chicken cavity with lemons. Makes for an excellent flavor. 

Leftover pork chops with lemon-caper sauce
Roasted butternut squash
Roasted broccolini with preserved lemon
Pugilese bread and butter

• Like 2