JPW

Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

Leftover beef stew
Pasta rags with roasted butternut squash, Gruyere and Parmesan

We've been overflowing with butternut squash and sweet potatoes lately. I roasted the squash last night with rubbed sage, fresh thyme, s+ p, evoo, honey, and pumpkin pie spice. It smelled heavenly while it was cooking. The herbs and spices seemed like a good warm combination to go with the pasta.

I had a zip-lock in which I'd been storing broken lasagna pieces, ones that were too oddly shaped for a proper lasagna, and I broke them into rough pieces and boiled in salted water. It took 15+ minutes to get them al dente. Since I'm usually cooking them further so don't boil the full time, and these were smaller pieces than intact noodles, I was a little surprised at how long it took get them fully cooked.  After I drained the pasta, I put it back in the pot with a few pats of butter to coat. I then added the squash and its residual oil from the pan and also the gruyere, tossed, and let it all melt together. Served with Parmesan over the top.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pat said:

Pasta rags with roasted butternut squash, Gruyere and Parmesan

That sounds amazing and I never thought to do that with broken lasagna pieces -- what a great idea.

• Like 2

Salad of Napa cabbage, red frisee, radishes, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, avocado; mustard - red wine vinaigrette
Leftover pork tenderloin, coconut rice, broccoli, and peanut sauce

• Like 1

I am in New Orleans, and Mom, who is 88, wants an oyster feast on Christmas Eve. So...

Prosecco

Oyster soup, oyster dressing and oyster spread on baguette toasts. Plus a romaine salad. It’s a carb heavy meal without a traditional main, but we don’t care. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dcandohio said:

I am in New Orleans, and Mom, who is 88, wants an oyster feast on Christmas Eve. So...

Prosecco

Oyster soup, oyster dressing and oyster spread on baguette toasts. Plus a romaine salad. It’s a carb heavy meal without a traditional main, but we don’t care. 

That sounds wonderful. The romaine neutralizes all the carbs😁.

I hope you and your mother enjoy your feast.

4 hours ago, dcandohio said:

Prosecco

Each dish begins with the word oyster which is almost all protein. You're good. 

6 hours ago, Pat said:

That sounds wonderful. The romaine neutralizes all the carbs😁.

I hope you and your mother enjoy your feast.

Thank you so much!

4 hours ago, deangold said:

Each dish begins with the word oyster which is almost all protein. You're good. 

You’re an expert. 

Martelli spaghetti w/lots of mussels in white wine, garlic, herbs with a bit of puttanesca sauce tossed in. 

Negron w/Caffo grappa, Capitoline dry, Luxardo aperitivo, Bittermans orange cream citrate bittters, Bitter Truth lemon.

• Like 3

Gotta brag about dinner. I did a very lazy version of one of Julia Child's lamb shank recipes and it was fabulous. Basically I browned two lamb shanks in some bacon fat. Cooked some onions and carrots in that pot. Put in about half pinot and half beef broth, some green dried herbs (doubt it matters), and two hours later, reduced the broth, cut the meat from the bone and yum. Served over egg noodles and frozen peas (heated) on the side. Daughter, 6, wanted to drink the sauce like soup and did have her peas frozen. (I like to pick my battles)

• Like 4

Christmas Eve dinner:

Baguette slices
Black bean soup
Pork loin roast with vinegar, bay, and thyme
Corn casserole

• Like 1

Christmas Dinner:

Garlic Bread
Salad of Napa Cabbage, Red Frisee, Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Radishes, Roasted Baby Red Beets, and Avocado; Mustard - Red Wine Vinaigrette
Sous Vide Prime Rib
Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Sage Butter
Gingered Green Beans

We were too full to have the ice cream sandwiches planned for dessert 😮.

• Like 1

Broke in our new to us used rice cooker {$10 on craigslist but no measuring cup} messing up the proportions but in any case, rice and mak kimchi.

Seared dry sea scallops marinated in the last of my first batch of shio kiji & a drop of tamari. The shio koji causes the proteins of the scallops to break down to sugars causing them to almost blacken. Next time less fire on the griddle. Squeeze of fresh lime, a few drops persimmon-su vinegar, a few drops of golden sesame oil.

Gibson: 2 oz Uncle Val's restorative gin, 1.5 oz Dolin Dry, 5 small pickled onions. 2 dashes Paychaud's Aromatic bitters and 4 dashes Angostura orange bitters {no where as much as it sounds, the dasher on the Angostura orange is quite stingy, there is more Peychaud's than Angostura. 

On my second Gibson. Unlikely to post again tonight!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Is this fake kimchi that's made out of tofu?

Mak kimchi is cabbage kimchi made with cut cabbage.

Leftover Black Bean Soup
Pork Tacos with Napa Cabbage Slaw, Jalapeños, and Avocado
Leftover Corn Casserole

• Like 1

Lunch: Cold roast chicken w/herbs, homemade fermented hot sauces, tomatillo salsa, home fermented sauerkraut.

Dinner Crudite & crackers w/tzaktziki, mint salsa verde

We have on of these. It makes for a great grill for using in the house as our rules here at the abode do not allow for grilling on the balcony. The disovery tonight is how freaking good seafood is on the Iwatani.

Shrimp sprinkled with Dino's silk road spices, Squid {skin on, tentacles separated from whole sacs} and Mahi Mahi sprinkled with black pepper and black cumin. We dipped allin either persimmon-su, temari & sesame oil, or ponzu. The best fish/seafood we have had in a long while!

Bananas

Gibson {3}: 2 oz Brokers, 1.5 oz Dolin, 2 dashes Peychaud's original bitters, 4 Dashes Angostura orange bitters , really good cocktail onions. Same as last night except brokers for Uncle Val's Restorative. Next one will be Green Hat Gibson. 

Green Hat is too citrusy and not junper-y enough.

The lengths I go to illuminate questions like the best gibson. Bombay is too bombastic.

Right now, I'd choose between Uncle Val's Restorative or Brokers. I have yet to try my bitters blend with Hendrick's. But I feel confident from a lot of experimentation that 2 oz gin, 1.5 oz Dolin vermouth and 2 dashes Peychaud's and 4 dashes Angostura orange is the secret to a great martini. 

I'm ripped to the whatevers. Have a wonderful night!

• Like 3

Steak and cheese sandwiches with pesto and caramelized onions
Baked penne

I bought some ciabatta rolls at TJ's and used them to make small steak sandwiches with thinly sliced leftover prime rib (each sandwich had 2 slices at 1.5 oz. each), pre-sliced swiss cheese, and onions that took a good long time caramelizing (2 - 2 1/2 hours). I spread a little pesto on each piece of bread before layering and finished everything under the broiler. The onions really made the sandwiches. They were worth the investment of time.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2019 at 9:21 PM, deangold said:
14 hours ago, deangold said:

Gibson {3}: 2 oz Brokers, 1.5 oz Dolin, 2 dashes Peychaud's original bitters, 4 Dashes Angostura orange bitters , really good cocktail onions. Same as last night except brokers for Uncle Val's Restorative. Next one will be Green Hat Gibson. 

Green Hat is too citrusy and not junper-y enough.

The lengths I go to illuminate questions like the best gibson. Bombay is too bombastic.

Right now, I'd choose between Uncle Val's Restorative or Brokers. I have yet to try my bitters blend with Hendrick's. But I feel confident from a lot of experimentation that 2 oz gin, 1.5 oz Dolin vermouth and 2 dashes Peychaud's and 4 dashes Angostura orange is the secret to a great martini. 

I'm ripped to the whatevers. Have a wonderful night!

On my second Gibson. Unlikely to post again tonight!

I had 2 martini's the other evening.  I was out, not at home.  Totally ripped.  Can't do that anymore.  In fact haven't done that in over a decade.  One would think I would have  learned.  

For the life of me I can't recall the gins.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DaveO said:

I had 2 martini's the other evening.  I was out, not at home.  Totally ripped.  Can't do that anymore.  In fact haven't done that in over a decade.  One would think I would have  learned.  

For the life of me I can't recall the gins.

It is like riding a bicycle.

• Like 2

I was chipper today! Went to Huntsman and picked up stock makings. Put on 15 quarts brown veal stock from Randall Lineback veal, Chapel Hill Farms. Browning in the oven 5 sets of bones, neck, hear & feet from Amish chicken for brown chicken stock. Have 10 boneless breasts, 10 boneless thighs, 10 wings, 5 bongigi and 10 legs ready to freeze, but I will wait for the 3 more chicken for white stock. 

Left over cheese, mushrooom and guanciale enchiladas w/tomatillo sauce and crumbly south american cheese that lost its lable.

Salad w/The Farm at Sunnyside greens, balsamico, olio, parm.

Drink: Korean style yogurt & soju drink w/a touch of ginger juice.

• Like 1