Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Thursday night was an unusually beige meal for us. I got home late and was staring in the fridge at options. I grabbed the remaining bacon and started frying it while I cut up a remaining defrosted chicken breast.  I also saw a packet of chicken flavor seitan that was near it's expiration date, so tore that up as well.  Took the bacon out of the skillet and tossed the chicken in to cook.  Once it was mostly done, I added the seitan and a handful of matchstick carrots. I made some Parmesan couscous for the starch and called it done. Worked out well but probably should have added some more veggies. 

Friday night was this Chili Crunch Tofu & Spinach dish.  It was supposed to include rice noodles but I ended up doubling it and didn't have enough noodles for that, so made Korean black rice instead.  I also should have pressed the tofu more than I did as it has too much moisture to crisp up like it was supposed to do.  Ignoring that though, the sauce was good and it used up all of the spinach, which was a goal. I do have 1/2 a can of coconut milk sitting in the fridge to use for something. 

Last month, this recipe for Chicken & Carrot Kade Paan caught my eye and we made it for dinner last night.  The bag of rolls I found was a 36 count, not 18, so this recipe got doubled.  I skipped the egg wash, and we were fine with that.  No chili tomato sauce here but rummaging around I decided to do a mayo based sauce instead.  I went fusion instead of closer to authentic.  Mayo with some aji amarillo paste, basil paste, S & P and that was good for us.  We are 4 each and put the remainder in the fridge for future meals.  I liked them but I really need to work on getting more filling inside, I'm terrible at that and the finished rolls did seem a bit more hollow than they should have been. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Katya4me said:

an unusually beige meal

We have those too sometimes. That's when I realize why restaurants add that curly parsley garnish to plates (or used to; it seems not to be so common any more). I try to find any reasonable green herb to mince and sprinkle over the plate. If I have any, sometimes I'll halve a cherry tomato or two to set alongside the beige food.

Last night was actually rather beige, come to think of it :lol:. I fried up some mushroom and sauerkraut pierogies I'd bought at Stachowski's a couple months ago and had stashed in the freezer. We had them with caramelized onions and sauteed enoki and sliced button mushrooms. This used a lot of butter all around. I balanced things somewhat with braised rainbow chard and green curly kale to accompany.

• Like 2