B'z BBQ Company, in Paeonian Springs Grocery - Closed and soon to Relocate

Prompted by JPW's complaint about too few postings this weekend, I thought I'd share my meal at one of the region's smallest eateries.

The Mighty Midget in Leesburg is a little metal shack (made from the fusilage of on old plane?) with several picnic tables around it. It is becoming my go-to spot for a pre-errand or post-golf weekend lunch. Pulled pork with just a little less sauce and smoky flavor than I'd prefer is still very good. An unadorned half-smoke comes alive with a sweet, tangy mustard relish. And jenrus is a fan of their fried fish sandwich - big and crisp and flaky. You can order your burgers rare if you choose and they have that "charred on an open grill" taste you can't seem to get anywhere. The fries are flavorful, if a little flabby. I haven't tried the ribs yet, as they're only available occasionally but most reports are that they are the best thing on the menu.

But this weekend I was reminded that two good things combined can be more than the sum of their parts. One variety of their burger comes topped with a mound of the pulled pork. I'd shied away before as I'm not ususally a big fan of "fusion" food. But the visiting momrus ordered it and the two bites I had have me ready for next Saturday's visit. The char and the smoke and the sauce all come together and make it sing.

The Midget may not be turning out the best food in the area, but if you're out that way its worth a stop.

I got to experience this LITTLE (literally) local gem on Saturday.

What a perfect day for outdoor dining on the deck (not that there IS an indoor option :lol: ).

We stopped for a late lunch - I had a fantastic pulled pork sandwich with the Carolina Pucker sauce. The meat was tender and smoky and the sauce was good and tart (perfect for this vinegar lover). My two dining companions ordered the BZ BBQ Burger. As described above, it's a huge burger with a big ol' pile of pulled pork on top. One got the spicy 'cue sauce, the other ordered regular. Both were good and those burgers were gone in no time.

The fries were good and crispy and the slaw was OK, nothing very distinctive, but good enough to go on top of the pork.

Ribs were smokin' and they looked delicious - next time....(they only do ribs on Fridays and Saturdays). The Mighty Midget is definitely worth a trip out to Leesburg - not only for the food, but also to see the smallest kitchen in operation in the US (or so I was told...)

I am glad to see that this place is open, as previous searches on Google said that they were closed and seeking new management.  Is this place close to the Leesburg Outlets?

That was quite some time ago.

It is about a five minute drive from the outlets, in downtown Leesburg

After a trip to Sterling for a visit to Wegman’s, my wife insisted that we go to the outlets so that she can look for some dishes at the William Sonoma outlet. I capitulated on one condition; we get to try the Mighty Midget. When she heard that it was a BBQ joint she quickly agreed. So off to Leesburg we went. Luckily my navigation system has the Mighty Midget in its database, but it insisted of making me drive down route 7 even while I was on the Greenway. I really was waiting for the banal woman’s voice to just give-up and tell me “to find the damn place myself if you don’t want my help.” Thankfully she didn’t, and we found the restaurant, if you can really call it that.

We arrived at just a few minutes after noon, and I believe that we were the first customers of the afternoon. We decided to split a half rack of ribs and pulled pork sandwich. It was such lovely afternoons, in a Scottish sort of way, so we took our seats at a table under an umbrella and on copies of the free Leesburg fish wrap to keep our butts from getting soaked through. The food arrived a few minutes later.

Our deal was to split the food. Unfortunately, my wife took this to mean that I got a bite of the ribs and she got a bite of the sandwich. I should have known this, but if I had thought about it, I would have ordered the sandwich with the hot sauce, not the mild. The sandwich was quite good, but I found that the bun was a bit too gourmet for BBQ, the bread should not get in the way of the pork, but only offer a delivery system to the eater’s mouth. The pork was quite flavorful, with plenty of smoke, but not too much. The ribs were tasty, but I usually prefer them to be a little tenderer than the ones we had today. The flavor was good, and again there was a nice balance of smoke.

We each had fries with our orders. I agree with Bilrus that some of the fries were both good and not so good. When they were hot, I did not taste a fry that was less than stellar, but once they cooled their flavor and texture waned. To be fare, it was a rather dreary and cool day today, so the fries cooled quickly.

This was our first trip to the Mighty Midget, and hopefully not our last. I made my wife promise that when she forces me to accompany her to the hell known as the Leesburg Outlets I get to have BBQ at the Midget. Not like anyone cares, but William Sonoma did not have the dishes that my wife wanted, so without the ‘que the trip would have been a total waste.

The Midget was smokin' yesterday!

Always a great place for lunch after working up an appetite at the Outlet Mall (well - it was really just a quick stop and the Midget was the main destination :o )

I opted for the pulled pork sandwich (sans bun) with the hot sauce and a shared order of fries. Man, that stuff is good!! Tender and smokey and the sauce has just the right heat - flavorful but not so hot it takes away from the taste of the other ingredients.

I know there's been some discussion of the consistency of the fries... but, in my few visits, I have to say these are THE best damn fries I've had anywhere in the area! (and that includes 5 Guys, Elevation, Hard Times, and Amsterdam Falafelshop) They are hot, crispy, and salty - just the way I like 'em. :)

The almost balmy January weather made for quite a pleasant little nosh out on the patio.

I are a little confused, but this is posted on their website:

Effective Dec 30, 2007 B'z BBQ Co. will no longer be operating out of the Mighty Midget Kitchen. the "landlord" Gordon MacDowell has decided to give it to a german company.

We want to thank you all for your support over the years and all the kind words! We are looking for another location and will keep you informed, if you would like to be added to our email list please send us an e–mail!

Does this mean Mighty Midget still exists as an idea and company, but their metal shack has been taken away from them?

I are a little confused, but this is posted on their website:

Does this mean Mighty Midget still exists as an idea and company, but their metal shack has been taken away from them?

This whole fiasco has been very illuminating. All these years I (and probably many other people) was under the impression that the name of the barbecue joint was the Mighty Midget Kitchen. But it turns out that the barbecue operation was in fact called B'z BBQ Co., and will be moving to Paeonian Springs, according to the owner.

In other words, the Mighty Midget Kitchen is neither an idea nor a company; it's simply the little building, which will now be leased to Hamburg Doener, a very popular German chain.

B'z appears to have opened shop at the Paeonian Springs grocery [Now Vino9Market]. I haven't stopped in to see if the menu is the same, but it's the same logo and everything. To get there from Route 7 Westbound in Loudoun County, take the exit for Route 9 and turn right at the end of the ramp. B'z is just past the traffic light and the gas station on your right. (The grocery is a nice stop if you're out cruising local vineyards, with a good selection of gourmet snacks, some local wines and a few organic food and household supplies. This is a step up from the offerings in your standard convenience store.)

B'z, despite their perpetually "coming soon" website, is in fact running full-tilt out of the Paeonian Springs Grocery. Go around to the side to order your ribs, pulled pork, or brisket, then take your ticket inside to grab a drink and pay.

I had the opportunity to pick up some of each yesterday, and all three were great even after a three-hour journey in the car and subsequent reheating. I picked up a bit of Wegmans pulled pork for a head-to-head comparison, and there was no contest... the drive is definitely worth it.

Good location for a weekend drive or motorcycle ride. And I suspect I'll be making the detour the next time I am out at the track.

I'd like to state that B'z BBQ is definitely alive and well and living more or less attached to the side of a general store/wine shop and up the road from a gas station on Rt 9 close to Leesburg. Three of us made the pilgrimage to B'z today for a day in the country, a visit to some old friends and some BBQ. I've been accused by some of my friends of being a BBQ fanatic (and there might be a germ or two of truth in that statement) and I haven't found much BBQ anywhere that is as good as North Carolina BBQ, but B'z comes extremely close. Not being overly hungry but being drawn in by the smoke and the sight of other people's BBQ, I ordered the Bit Of Brisket. This is what it sounds like, not a large sandwich but a sampler if you will. It comes with beans and cole slaw. You place your order at the side of the general store/wine shop/whatever, take the receipt, go past the holistic massage office and into the general store where two nice ladies will point you to the coolers holding lots of different kinds of drinks. There are a number of "old-fashioned" types of drinks including Birch Beer. (I'm a water person, I don't want anything to get in the way of the BBQ). Once you pay, you go back out and stand around the area of the BBQ and wait for someone to tell you your order is ready. When the time comes, you're handed a black take out box and you try to find someplace to sit on the porch. There are benches and umbrellas which do a decent job of keeping you from getting sunburned. Once you open the box you find out why you're here. The brisket is tender, juicy and infused with great smoke flavor. For bit of brisket, it came on a hot dog bun and the bun was brimming with brisket. The coleslaw is excellent. Home-made, none of the store bought generic about it. The beans are a combination of black and brown beans. Not as satisfying as the coleslaw but a worthy side nonetheless. One of the two friends who accompanied me had the half rack of ribs and I'd like to tell you how they were but the only thing I could get him to say was UMMMM about 30 times (or about the time it took to devour the entire half rack). The other friend had the pulled pork BBQ and didn't even seem to be sightly fazed by the size of the sandwich (which was large and overflowing with pulled pork) and he managed to eat the whole thing. The smile never left his face. I'm not sure what that meant but he did say he wouldn't mind having one or two more but he didn't know where he'd put them. I believe that meant he liked it. B'z is a small place and there's not a lot of parking or seating but the BBQ makes up for any comfort shortcomings. Lunch cost me about $8.60 by the time tax and water was added in. All in all, a very worthy investment. I'm going to have to find more excuses to go out to Leesburg now.

I'd like to state that B'z BBQ is definitely alive and well and living more or less attached to the side of a general store/wine shop and up the road from a gas station on Rt 9 close to Leesburg.

Do you have a name for that general store? Inquiring minds want to know....

Rob

I was there last Saturday (Leesburg, not Colorado). The rain had come and gone, there was no crowd and I had a half rack of ribs, beans and cole slaw and sat and watched the traffic go by in solitary splendor. Not a bad way to spend a Saturday afternoon at all. (and the ribs? Falling off the bone, dry rubbed and then a light layer of sauce to finish up. Damfine!)

A little note on the blackboard at B'z suggests that the Black Angus all-beef hot dog is the best you will ever eat. It certainly was true for me, the moreso because I got it as a Hawg Dog - with pulled pork - and peach habanero sauce. Yow. Yum. So good that I'm thinking of either delaying the departure time of an upcoming road trip, or backtracking an hour, just to get lunch at B'z. 'Cause I can't think of a better way to start a road trip than with pulled pork barbeque on an all-beef hot dog.

A little note on the blackboard at B'z suggests that the Black Angus all-beef hot dog is the best you will ever eat. It certainly was true for me, the moreso because I got it as a Hawg Dog - with pulled pork - and peach habanero sauce. Yow. Yum. So good that I'm thinking of either delaying the departure time of an upcoming road trip, or backtracking an hour, just to get lunch at B'z. 'Cause I can' think of a better way to start a road trip than with pulled pork barbeque on an all-beef hot dog.

how's the slaw? Cause if I could get a dog covered in pulled pork and topped with slaw, I might just die right there of happiness!

how's the slaw? Cause if I could get a dog covered in pulled pork and topped with slaw, I might just die right there of happiness!

I can't really say, as I'm not a slaw aficionado. Slaw falls into two categories for me: "yuck" or "not bad". I'd put B'z in the latter. Either way, though, you should just go try it.

As to the Hawg Dog, there's apparently another version near y'all, at something called "Beef-n-Buns-n-Paradise" in Frederick MD:

Huh. It looks like we have to start our trip south through Virginia by going to Mt Airy first, which makes me think a bbq crawl is in order as we head south on US 15: Carter Que, Beef-nBuns, B'z.

The slaw is good. Cut long enough to give a nice satisfying crunch, not vinegary but with just the proper amount of tang (and don't overlook the beans, they're great). I was out there two Saturdays ago and the owner had slipped and fallen on some concrete steps the day before but he was open and cooking. That's dedication.

And five years later, an answer to laststsandchili's question: B'z in Paeonian Springs. Andy Nelson's in Cockeysville and Carter Que in Mount Airy I will go to when nearby, but only B'z is worth a special trip.

I'm heading north on US15 in a few weeks. Guess I'll be stopping by Chubby's to try it again. Despite previous "tough" words, I hold no agenda nor ill will. I just want to eat some good bbq, y'know?

100% agreement on B'z. One of our most visited BBQ places within a 30 mile radius. It's a nice drive up Rt 9 afterwards and then back through the nice twisties in WV.

Never has such a small restaurant, so far away, had such a beloved following.

Also in beautiful Loudoun County, the original Crummy But Good eatery, Planet Wayside in Hamilton. Anyone remember that WaPo feature? It petered out when they ran out of truly crummy joints.