Look (was Teatro Goldoni), 9,000 Square Foot Lounge and Nightclub on K Street Downtown - Closed

I think that the consensus here is that the chef's table is an entirely different experience than the main dining room. It appears you took the latter, with unfortunate results, alas. Why? I don't know. I've always half-suspected that previous chefs perfected some profitable balance of price and mediocrity, and Enzo, after being told not to mess with a good thing, was allowed to actually cook for his one table on condition he didn't change whatever it is the regulars out front were eating.

Also, the lobster risotto was the one dish that underperformed for me at the chefs table, as well.

Looking through the posts in this thread since Enzo Fargione took over the kitchen at Goldoni, I don't see anyone besides myself who explicitly says they've eaten at the chef's table and in the main dining room. As I posted above, I have dined at both (only once each, alas), and found the food (and service) in the main dining room to be superlative. Many of the dishes served in smaller portions at the chef's table show up on the regular menu and are of the same quality. The dinner I had in the main dining room wasn't the elaborate experience you get at the chef's table, but it was as good a dinner as I've had in the last year. This "chef's table rocks, dining room sux" meme that has taken hold here is utterly unlike my experience, although as I say I've only done each once. And the "cornets" I had at the chef's table were the one thing I disliked about that meal; the pastry cones were bizarrely and inappropriately candy-sweet, as Dan complains of in the main room. Waitman's disappointment with another dish at the chef's table that Dan found wanting in the main dining room rather confirms my observation that these places are the same place. Dan's meal may well have been lacking, but mine in the main room was not; it was wonderful.

Anyone know the status of the remodeling of the old Teatro Goldoni?  Articles from last year suggest that the new Look was supposed to open last November.

Look opened late Spring, and apparently has (or had) bustling late-night crowds - it seems like more of a "club" than a restaurant, and it's not Icelandic except in certain aspects of the design. It is open very late: 2 AM on Thursdays, and 3 AM on Fridays and Saturdays.

I never would have known. It's not apparently open for lunch, since it always looks closed when I walk by it. But I did recently see the notice about the Food Network or other TV network redesigning the place.

It was weird - I posted my response, and by the time I was finished (about one minute later), two other posts had come in before mine.

Their website says they're open Mon-Fri at 11:30 AM - do you know for a fact they aren't open for lunch, or did you try on a weekend? I think with their location, they'd be foolish not to offer lunch on weekdays.

I know, I posted my response and then there were two other responses by the time I was finished as well! I work nearby and try to get out and walk at lunch most days and have walked by several times recently. I have never seen anyone go in there. I've looked in the windows and can't see anything, and even tried to see if there was a menu posted outside as some restaurants do. I see from the website that supposedly they are open for lunch, but they aren't trying too hard to get business at that time. Oh, and my lunch walks are between noon and 1pm so it's not like I'm out at an odd time for lunch.

I know, I posted my response and then there were two other responses by the time I was finished as well! I work nearby and try to get out and walk at lunch most days and have walked by several times recently. I have never seen anyone go in there. I've looked in the windows and can't see anything, and even tried to see if there was a menu posted outside as some restaurants do. I see from the website that supposedly they are open for lunch, but they aren't trying too hard to get business at that time. Oh, and my lunch walks are between noon and 1pm so it's not like I'm out at an odd time for lunch.

I've heard from an insider. They are indeed "closed for remodeling."

Here is what I've heard, and I don't know if it's true: The Food Network was apparently going to do a show about rebranding a restaurant, but they pulled out. They're still "renovating," but you know how that goes. At least one employee worked there for three months without receiving a paycheck, despite repeated promises. This is the same restaurant group that owns Cities, and some people feel they did wrong by Enzo Fargione (I have not heard from Enzo himself).