Hot Sauce - Looking for Both Retail Stores with Large Selections and Recommendations for Different Types

boagsmemphis

I just moved to Crystal City (Arlington) and I need to restock my hot sauce supply, as the bottles that I have left are going quickly!  I've done a little internet research for places that sell hot sauce in the DMV area and the resarch has revealed that there is a place called Mediterranean Bakery in Alexandria, which has a lot of hot sauce.  Also, Uncle Brutha's and Infusion Hot Sauce Company are both based in Rockville.  I'm hoping that there is a place that has an entire wall of hot sauces (like Peppercorn, on the Pearl St. Mall, in Boulder or Hot Licks in Old Town San Diego).  Does anyone know of a place like this and/or can you confirm that Mediterranean Bakery has this many hot sauces?  Thanks!

Mediterranean Bakery does indeed have a pretty extensive selection of hot sauces. It would be my first stop (though it helps I live right near it and am there nearly every week) and while you're there, you can partake in some stellar baklava!

Another place you might try is Rocklands Barbecue. If I recall, they have a policy that if you bring in a hot sauce they don't carry, you get a free sandwich. That said, I'm not sure which site has the best "wall of fire".

• Like 1

The green hot sauce produced by Uncle Brotha's is excellent.  Not super hot, but tons of flavor.  It's a very good sandwich hot sauce, for when you want some kick but not something that's going to take over the sandwich.  Plus he's a local producer.   

The green hot sauce produced by Uncle Brotha's is excellent.  Not super hot, but tons of flavor.  It's a very good sandwich hot sauce, for when you want some kick but not something that's going to take over the sandwich.  Plus he's a local producer.   

I like that sauce too.  I'm still sad that they were unable to keep their bricks-and-mortar store open.  I found some interesting hot sauces there.

I have bought and tried a lot of hot sauces over the years, there are only a few that I buy a second time. Many bottles are insanely hot with little or no flavor, others you buy because of the label. The ones I like are Franks (which I think the test kitchen liked the best) chalopa (with the wooden cap, Tabasco, and Texas Pete (very mild, the first one I ever tried). I often make my own as well. I seem to get several a year as gifts and they are used till they are gone.

• Like 1

I think it' funny that Texas Pete comes from Winston-Salem, NC. Because it reminds me of North Carolina, I avoid it.

Of the widely available hot sauces, I particularly like Tapatio, which is pretty hot but not violently so, has a lot of pepper flavor, and contains no vinegar.

I think I saw this packaged and for sale at Eco Friendly's stall at the Dupont Circle farmers market Sunday. Either that or they're selling another BBQ sauce named "Zora"!

I make the sauce in bulk for Bev Eggleston. He uses it in his pulled pork and has just started packaging it. I don't much like the vacuum bags, and would love to be able to sell it in jars, but once I bring it to him in gallon jugs, he does what he wants with it.