Meaghan

Wasabi, Kaiten Sushi in the Corridor of Tysons Corner Mall - Also Opening in Montgomery Mall

So, I've been watching this spot at 910 17th Street, you know somewhere between Suntrust Bank and Firehook Bakery, two places not too far from my Metro stops that I visit with some frequency.

The place is still under construction, but on the sign that covers the glass front there's a quote from someone I have never heard of raving about Chef Miguel Choy (and making reference to his restaurant Yuzu in London.

Instead of being so cynical, I want to say that I hope this place is good! The fact that Mervis Diamonds and (sorry) Chevy Chase Bank are the other two businesses on the block worries me a bit. So, what's the dilio?

<edited for fiction and grammar>

I've been watching the construction daily since the doctor's office moved out. I don't know if the construction is on track for the restaurant world, but for the consumer who wants good sushi near work world it's taking a long time.

There isn't much good sushi around, other than Cafe Asia, so this could an excellent development.

There's is however a reference ( here ) to them trying to get their ABC stuff in order. Someone go and sell them good sake. GO!!!

There isn't much good sushi around, other than Cafe Asia, so this could an excellent development.

Uh, Kaz is only 4 blocks away. I consider that more than just good ...

I have been walking by this site for several months not seeing any action. Today the doors were open and workmen were pounding away. The Sign says Chef Choy's and opening spring 2006. Anyone know anything else?

Keeping fingers crossed. My experiences with the London airport locations of Yo! were stunningly mediocre, especially compared to the decent and ubiquitous kaiten operations throughout Sillyclone Valley.

I can't think of where 17th and Connecticut cross. Are you talking I Street or K?
Sounds like west of Farragut Square, south of K Street ... that should be Conn. Ave.,

but this is D.C., so it is 17th.

I just stopped in the soon to open Wasabi. They said it should open next Monday June 26.

Here is the kicker--- they have a fairly substantial space up front for take out! (pre-prepared dishes that you can grab and go).

Hmmm...

From their Website.....

At Wasabi Sushi, we are looking for the best of the best! This is the first of many Wasabi Sushi Restaurants, so the opportunity for advancement within this company is fantastic! With your help, we will provide downtown DC with some really great food & service.

Wasabi is a Kaiten (conveyor belt) sushi concept that is huge in Japan and Europe. When our guests arrive and sit down, the food is ready! They simply take whatever food they like off of the conveyor…hot food, cold food, sushi, salads, desserts, etc, there is something for everybody!

Remember the last time you were at a restaurant…you sat there for a few minutes, then someone asked you if you wanted a drink. Five minutes later they came back with the drink and asked if you wanted an appetizer. Ten minutes later the appetizer came out and you made your dinner order. Twenty minutes later the entrée came out. THAT’S CRAZY! Washington DC is a fast-paced town, they want their food now and we have it. If they’re in an even bigger rush, we have a great take-out section in the front of the store.

Why bring a European/Japanese concept to the USA? Well, frankly, because no one else will. You should see how busy these places are in London! In fact, to make sure that we captured the essence of these places in London, we went and got the chef who opened a bunch of them. That’s Chef Miguel Choy, ask around, he’s awesome.

The GM running the restaurant is Steve Greehan, one of the top 5 managers in the entire DC Metro Region according to the restaurant association. He has over 20 years of experience in the hospitality industry.

Read some of the jobs...the rolls are made by sushi robots!

Scott, which website did you check. This one is pretty useless.

I walked by this afternoon. There were signs on the door that said "Closed For Private Party". Hopefully they will be open to the rest of us tomorrow :unsure:

My question about all the food being ready is that how will they keep soup and other hot dishes warm? And do they remove some dishes after being on the blt for a certain amount of time?

I was looking at the same website. Check under the link to positions open and read the text and the job descriptions. http://www.wasabisushi.com/jobs.html

I agree, how do they keep it fresh and hot? Sushi robots seem to take some of the fun out of seeing the chef make the rolls. I imagine there must be a time stamp on the belt as well as someone judging how many people are sitting down and if they need to increase/decrease production.

Hello... I am sushi bot, what can I roll you today.... how about a number one special? Would you like wasabi with that?

Scott, which website did you check. This one is pretty useless.

My question about all the food being ready is that how will they keep soup and other hot dishes warm? And do they remove some dishes after being on the blt for a certain amount of time?

Once again... "Private Party in Progress" .No explanantion of when they will be opening. There were people in side and there was prepared food in the cases (I hope for display and not what will be available tomorrow(if they do open)). Poor website. Communication is a good thing! After passing by the site again today, I high tailed it to the grill, had a sasuage sandwich fixed "chef style" and tried some of the new and wonderful soup. I am glad that I get a email telling me when the grill is open.

Scott... I did the same thing. Two days in a row. In fact the food in the case looked exactly the same as yesterday. Someone from inside did come out and give a menu to a guy who was peering in the window.

Maybe they haven't finished the licenses required to open?

I fired off a quick email to their website asking them when they will be open and to post something on the door..... perhaps that will reply!

Scott... I did the same thing. Two days in a row. In fact the food in the case looked exactly the same as yesterday. Someone from inside did come out and give a menu to a guy who was peering in the window.

Maybe they haven't finished the licenses required to open?

I got a nice email from the CEO who said "We have not published an exact opening day because we are not opening until our chef says the food is perfect. I hope you would not expect anything less!"

Nice thought! Should be ready next week, in the meantime they are training their staff and making sure they are ready to go!

Hello All! I am thrilled to see the interest in Wasabi and will answer all of the questions above. But first let me say I can't wait to see you all in the restaurant soon!!!

Meaghan - Yes, we will have premium sake! In fact we will have an array of Sake's ranging from several dollars for a hot sake up to $100 for premium cold Sake and including at least one type that we will be the only provider of in the US. (((this may come a bit later as we are dealing with the import process at the moment)))

Hill Vally - No comparison to Cafe Asia. Where Cafe Asia is pan-asian and so has a little bit of everything in a massive three story environment, we will offer some of the best Modern Japanese Cuisine available in the world in a cosy personal setting. Chef Choy is an award winning Chef who I am sure you will be impressed by.

ol ironstomach - Yes, much kaiten sushi is not noteworthy. In fact the concept in Japan is largely used for inexpensive sushi delivery. However, in London a couple of places (Itsu & K10 for example) took the concept up-market. Delivering top quality food in an attractive setting to people in a hurry has been a huge success, and we believe the same will be true in DC.

Scott Johnston - yes, the current website is fairly useless. It is a placeholder. The full site will launch in the next 72 hours.

Sushi Robots - These are cool. They do not affect the quality at all and do not really make sushi per say. One takes the rice made by Chef Choy's team and makes unlimited perfectly shaped Nigiri rice balls. All it does is shape rice, but as you know this is a time consuming affair so is very helpful. The other robot takes the rice, and other ingredients and rolls the sushi into Maki. This doesn't let Chef Choy or his staff off the hook, all the work of a Chef is still done these machines just take some of the monotony out of the job so that they can focus on the food!!! Check out a video of these at www.sushirobots.com (note we are not using this manufacturer but they are a similar concept).

Opening!!! As I mentioned to Scott Johnston we are having private parties until our chef tells us the food is perfect. We expect to be open in a week to ten days and would love to see you then!!! Any questions can be directed to davisb@wasabisushi.com. I will try to keep checking this site as well but you can imagine we are a little busy at the moment!

Sincerely,

Bo Davis

CEO

Wasabi

Opening!!! As I mentioned to Scott Johnston we are having private parties until our chef tells us the food is perfect. We expect to be open in a week to ten days and would love to see you then!!! Any questions can be directed to davisb@wasabisushi.com. I will try to keep checking this site as well but you can imagine we are a little busy at the moment!

I, for one, would like to personally volunteer to be a member of a "private party." I'm just trying to be helpful :unsure: I am really looking forward to trying this place out.