Wasabi, Kaiten Sushi in the Corridor of Tysons Corner Mall - Also Opening in Montgomery Mall

Interesting to see that their lunch prices are low. Have you been to Kaz for dinner? That was one expensive meal.
I have been to Kaz for dinner on a number of occassions. I don't recall my tab being more than $30 a person. I love the special sushis they make like tuna and almond paste for dinner.

Though at lunch I tend to stick to two rolls and a complimentary bowl of miso. If I am really hungry at lunch I might get a salad or something. I think my total with tip at lunch is around $12. Even the first time I went to Kaz with a business associate, our bill was $45 for two including TORO. (my first time that lunch... you always remember your first :) ) And I was but-gusting full after that lunch...

To make it relevant to a discussion about Wasabi... Three sections of a roll equate to one serving. For me to get my typical sushi lunch of two rolls, I have to get 4 orders at Wasabi. Plus I have to buy my miso.

My Fiance and I ate at Wasabi last night as well. I had 4 plates, he had seven which included sashimi, sushi rolls, and a big bowl of ginger strawberries.

My first impression was what fun this is! Normally when we go out for sushi, which is ususally at Spices or Sushi Taro, I have to give in and get something that is not my favorite because he wants it and vice versa. I likd that I could get what I wanted and wth instant gratification. What we both thought was that the sushi was not nearly as good as the other two places I mentioned. And the variety? I think that there were only really 5 different rolls being offered to us. I would have liked to have seen some more variety.

Not sure that I will ever go back for dinner, but I may try take out for lunch because I work right down the street.

I know very little about sake, but I had the Taru Sake there and was very pleased with it. The service was also very fast and friendly.

Also, the temperature of the sushi was ever so slightly warmer than I am used to. Is this normal for conveyor-delivered sushi? At least to my palate, there is a specific temperature range at which sushi tastes best, kind of like beer or wine. If it's too cold or too warm, it just doesn't taste right to me. This was my first experience with kaiten sushi, so perhaps this difference in temperature is typical.

Dear Baggers/Cashiers at Wasabi,

Thank you for expediting my take out purchase so quickly. However, next time would you please make sure that you do not place my sunumono salad upside down, causing it to leak all over my desk when I pulled it out of the bag?

Signed,

Dabbing soy sauce from her desktop

:)

Granted, the conveyor belt is not some massive Dulles Metro Extension expense, but in our free market world, we pay extra for things that are unique.
Sushi on a conveyor belt is an old concept, just new to downtown.

Sushi Go Round on 7th street has been doing conveyor belt sushi in DC for at least a year now.

Sushi Go Round on 7th street has been doing conveyor belt sushi in DC for at least a year now.

The conveyor belt sushi concept came out first in the late 1970s in Japan. It disappeared 3- 4 years later because people doubted its quality. (some unpopular sushi kept rounding on the belt)

While Japanese economy was bad in 1990s, it came back with lower price than regualr sushi serving.

Having a craving for sushi today, I decided to try Wasabi all these many months after its opening. I opted for take out. First, I was assured that the soy sauce in the to go container was low sodium. Though I may not be an expert, it tasted like full sodium soy sauce.

Second, the salmon in the roll was greyish and there was some kind of mayonaise/sauce in the roll that was not included on the description of the roll. The only mayo I like on my sushi is for spicy sauces. Shrug.

What bothers me most is that the sushi rice is gummy. The textrue detracts from the sushi.

My two rolls cost $6.60. The amount of food seems more substantial than it did when the restaurant opened.

What bothers me most is that the sushi rice is gummy. The textrue detracts from the sushi.

The sushi rice is still very gummy. Not only gummy, but compressed, and the rolls are completely uniform in size and shape - so much so, that I wonder whether Wasabi uses the same nightmarish roll-making machine in use at Wasabi To Go on Spout Run Parkway. At that carryout, whoever is making the roll layers the components in a machine, pushes a button, and voila: The machine clamps down, rolls it, and out drops a maki. In essence, the sushi chef is exhibiting precisely the same level of talent as a Starbuck's barrista.

I had lunch today at Wasabi, and paid $15.70 for three orders of 3-slice maki, a glass of ice water, tax and tip. Last week I had takeout sushi from Whole Foods, which is run by Genji, and it was horrible as always. What I got today from Wasabi was better than that, certainly, but it wasn't anything I'd return for, and I walked out acutely aware of why people go to Potbelly for lunch. Service was polite and friendly.

Dinner must be a slower time here, since Wasabi advertises a dinner-only special of any six items from the kaiten for $20.

Cheers,

Rocks.

The sushi rice is still very gummy. Not only gummy, but compressed, and the rolls are completely uniform in size and shape - so much so, that I wonder whether Wasabi uses the same nightmarish roll-making machine in use at Wasabi To Go on Spout Run Parkway. At that carryout, whoever is making the roll layers the components in a machine, pushes a button, and voila: The machine clamps down, rolls it, and out drops a maki. In essence, the sushi chef is exhibiting precisely the same level of talent as a Starbuck's barrista.

There's a bit of discussion about the use of such machines earlier on in this thread, when they were getting ready to open.

Not only gummy, but compressed, and the rolls are completely uniform in size and shape - so much so, that I wonder whether Wasabi uses the same nightmarish roll-making machine in use at Wasabi To Go on Spout Run Parkway.
I believe it's the same one, as that was what I was told when I first inquired about the machine's functions at the Spout Run location.

Wasabi has large banners draped down from the ceiling of Tysons Corner Mall saying they're opening a second location there soon.

It's open - I posted this in the Wasabi to Go thread, but I see that my post belongs here-

The Tyson's location is open. I didn't eat there, just people- and conveyer belt-watched from the second floor.

The sushi rice is still very gummy. Not only gummy, but compressed, and the rolls are completely uniform in size and shape - so much so, that I wonder whether Wasabi uses the same nightmarish roll-making machine in use at Wasabi To Go on Spout Run Parkway.

It's open - I posted this in the Wasabi to Go thread, but I see that my post belongs here-

I am sad to report that gelittleman was lured like a good Grecian sailor by the sirens and entranced by the sushi conveyor belt going round-n-round-n-round like Thomas the Tank Engine might on a terrible day, hauling freight on the Island of Sodor, with no end in sight. Try as I might, I could not talk him out of it--so, in we went.

Happily, he grabbed a $3 plate of Inari, sat down to take a bite, and...decided to opt out a second. Not enough to enough fill even half of each of the pockets, these equated to the worst of the grocery store ones, sadly.

What fared better for the little man's palate was the Salmon and Avocado with Caviar maki (also $3), with which he was much happier munching.

The worst were the slimy-feeling Unagi sushi ($3) and its ever-skimped-I-can't-see-any-eel Eel and Cucumber maki ($4) that I tried, and wisely, he skipped out on.

Things are still in robotomatic, with the maki machines produced compressed rolls at rate not equal to those consumed. I am, however, happy to report that the sushi rice is no longer gummy and actually resembles and tastes like sushi rice.

Now, they also have a nice gimmick of making their banner swing from the ceiling, as to hypnotize you to eat there.

When he got home, he asked to eat the rest of his chicken sandwich lunch for "dinner" and ended on a brighter note.

Reporting back so you don't have to,

goodeats.

I am sad to report that gelittleman was lured like a good Grecian sailor by the sirens and entranced by the sushi conveyor belt going round-n-round-n-round like Thomas the Tank Engine might on a terrible day, hauling freight on the Island of Sodor, with no end in sight. Try as I might, I could not talk him out of it--so, in we went.

I remembering being drawn to it my last trip to Tysons Corner Mall and spent some time watching. However, past experiences looking for a decent kaiten sushi experience in the US have definitely stopped that and any future attempt. I don't think non Japanese communities can't support that kind of establishment. Even in NYC, which has decent yakitori and other Japanese cuisines, they don't have good kaiten sushi.

This you-tube video shows a good large size kaiten restaurant. Check out the number of sushi (colored dishes on the counters and tatami) people are eating, the hygiene of the kitchen staff, and the volume of customers.

However, past experiences looking for a decent kaiten sushi experience in the US have definitely stopped that and any future attempt. I don't think non Japanese communities can't support that kind of establishment.

I am not sure about that; I fondly remember in the Chicago suburbs having similar experiences, although, it was the trend to have them float on boats rather than conveyor belts, yet they were often packed and the sushi was good. However, this was about 20yrs ago.

I am not sure about that; I fondly remember in the Chicago suburbs having similar experiences, although, it was the trend to have them float on boats rather than conveyor belts, yet they were often packed and the sushi was good. However, this was about 20yrs ago.

20 years ago in Chicago I fondly remember the Jazz Bulls in North Lincoln Park, Giordano's stuffed pizza in Greek Town, and polishes & greasy fries on Maxell Street. :)

I think it's just difficult to replicate the feeling and everyday quality of some of specialty cuisines outside of their culture. For example, most kaiten sushi places in Japan have a higher 'average' quality that would correspond with medium to upper level sushi restaurants here in the states.

They're expanding nationally (website, volume OFF), and seemingly concentrating on malls and shopping centers. I wonder if this was their plan from day one, or if it evolved into that? I suspect the latter - does anyone remember the disastrous Wasabi Sito in Lyon Village shopping center? That couldn't possibly have been part of a long-term mall-based plan.

The model at Tysons Corner Center is interesting because it doesn't take up any store space.

Having been to their orginal soft opening, and tried them several times over the years, Wasabi is truely sushi for the masses and appropriately should remain in the mall. My daughter used to like it, but now prefers the more delicate touch of sushi master to that of the robot. While I agree with Don that it does not take any store front space, the trend in malls is to use every inch as a potential revenue generator. I do not fault Wasabi's concept, it is just not for me. (Disclaimer, I am a well know mall hater).