Snowy Day Places

Meaghan

Having experienced it last night, I would say that a spot in front of the fireplace at Birreria Paradiso would do nicely.

For some reason big snows make me think dive bar. I've spent more snow days at Fox and Hounds than probably anywhere else in the city. Millie and Al's, too. They're cozy, just not fireplace-cozy.

During the last big snowstorm I remember in DC, we trudged down Connecticut and were thrilled to find Mourayo open. For most of the meal it was just us, the staff, the snow piling up along the deserted sidewalk, and a bottle of Greek wine.

Next time the snow piles up and there's no food in the house, I'll be right back there again, no question.

I have fond memories from the 'blizzard of '96' :lol:

After a day or two being cooped up in our apartment in Rosslyn (if it hadn't been Elvis week on TBS I don't know what we would have done...) my roommate and I decide to venture across the Key Bridge bound for our old haunt (at the time) - Garrett's. It was a long, cold, windy walk across that bridge and we thought about turning back a few times. We made it finally and it was a great evening - warm and cozy, good company - everyone was happy to be out, and cold beers. Good times... (even better was the fact that our favorite bartender drove us home in his 4 wheel drive!)

A few years back, on the rare snow day, I trekked with a couple friends from my end of Alexandria down to Southside 815 and had a similar experience.

The bar at Bilbo Baggins was probably the most recent place we stopped by on a snowy evening (apologies to Mr. Frost). The hours flew by with several glasses of wine, jolly neighbors doing the same thing we were, and a fire in the fireplace.

Murphy's also meets the walkable (from my house), cold beer, and hot fireplace criteria.

ETA - I like Jacques' thinking - Eve is a new addition since the last big snow and certainly one that I would gravitate toward - thanks for the reminder... :huh:

Edited by goldenticket

being stuck in the culinary wasteland that is Potomac, I'd have to say that my favorite snowy day place is.... maison Miller! :lol: which is a good thing if, just to pick an example, recent shopping has me ready to make beef stew, spaetzle, spaghetti carbonara, butternut squash soup, and nachos. Just to pick an example.

If I lived in Alexandria I'd schlep over to Eve, too.

I recall a huge snowstorm in 86 or 87 when we got rides through Rock Creek Park from the park police on horseback, and then spent about 2 days at Stetson's playing darts and drinking.

Now, we just find the neighbor with the best stocked bar and take all of our sustenance there, as our N. Arlington neighborhood is a LONG winter walk from any place even remotely cozy.

For some reason big snows make me think dive bar.  I've spent more snow days at Fox and Hounds than probably anywhere else in the city.  Millie and Al's, too.  They're cozy, just not fireplace-cozy.

Dive bar is a good choice. I spent most of the blizzard of '96 at the Childe Harold, watching people ski down Conn Ave.

Having experienced it last night, I would say that a spot in front of the fireplace at Birreria Paradiso would do nicely.

For some reason big snows make me think dive bar.  I've spent more snow days at Fox and Hounds than probably anywhere else in the city.  Millie and Al's, too.  They're cozy, just not fireplace-cozy.

The Fox, unfortunately, has TV's on every wall these days, making it one of the most annoying barrooms in the city. I'd go to the Raven, though, or maybe Nanny O'Briens.

I might stumble by Biddy's in the ex-Dupont Circle Hotel (don't know what it is, now). In its previous incarnation, Stephanie's, the floor to ceiling windows offered a spectacular view of the circle in the snow. Don't know about now.

Tabard and the fire are an obvious choice; maybe The Fireplace for a gas fire and a rousing singalong with the boys (free associating here); the bar at 2 Amy's because maybe it won't be a fucking zoo for a change; anyplace with Pho.

Edited by Waitman

I'd bet sitting on one of the sofas in the upstairs bar at Sonoma next to the fireplace would be a good spot to watch it snow.  The windows overlooking the street are nearly floor to ceiling.

Nice thought. That would be a great place to watch the snow. In my early years here (1980s), I used to love to spend a snowy evening walking around the Capitol grounds. It's just not the same any more. That was always my favorite place to walk in the snow. Then I'd stop someplace and get an Irish coffee. Hmm. They have really good Irish coffee at Sonoma :lol:

Once upon a time I was 15 years old, six feet tall and looked older; I had my first job as a waiter at the Hot Shoppes at Wisconsin and Van Ness. (Today WUSA is there.) A girl who was 19 had started a few weeks earlier having recently dropped out of the University of Miami and returned to D. C. to live with a friend. She didn't know I was 15.

One January night there was heavy snow and although the restaurant stayed open there were only several customers sitting at counter seats. She and I sat in the empty back dining room looking out at the snow. Talking. For hours. I had never had a date before meeting her, had never really been in a situation like this. The more that I talked to her the more I felt that I could not tell her my age. Our conversation had begun to change a bit and as the snow accumulated she began to touch my hand as we talked.

I only saw her at the restaurant, never working up the courage to ask her out; never figuring out how-if she said yes-I would "take her out." Eventually, a month or so later, she left and returned to Florida. Before leaving I told her my age and asked her to sign my 10th grade yearbook from Montgomery Blair.

After a half dozen sentences she wrote, "PS Too bad you're not older."

That was a long time ago....

Edited by Joe H

Nice thought.  That would be a great place to watch the snow.  In my early years here (1980s), I used to love to spend a snowy evening walking around the Capitol grounds.  It's just not the same any more.  That was always my favorite place to walk in the snow.  Then I'd stop someplace and get an Irish coffee.  Hmm.  They have really good Irish coffee at Sonoma :lol:

Growing up we used to sled down Capitol Hill and if we were really lucky on the way back we'd stop at the Chesapeake Bagel Bakery for warm bagels and hot chocolate. These days I like to kill a snowy evening in a booth at Palena.

Sushi Ko, before it was remodeled.  Tabard Inn.  Polly's.

polly's, that takes me back. i spent a wonderful evening there watching the snow come down in 95'. they had the best chicken sandwhich back then. hard to believe that place has been there that long. i recall times when if you were a regular, it was your responsibilty to keep the fire going. that was obviously before some lawyer talked them out of that practice.

they still have, imho, one of hte best jukeboxes in the city.

Growing up we used to sled down Capitol Hill and if we were really lucky on the way back we'd stop at the Chesapeake Bagel Bakery for warm bagels and hot chocolate.  These days I like to kill a snowy evening in a booth at Palena.

Oh, how I miss the Chesapeake Bagel Bakery :lol: . Sledding on Capitol Hill sounds cool. Edited by Pat

Once upon a time I was 15 years old, [snip]

After a half dozen sentences she wrote, "PS  Too bad you're not older."

That was a long time ago....

lovely rememberance Joe. Thanks

Let it snow so all the folks that have never seen it may revel, snuggle, eat drink and be merry. I will be breaking out the duraflame log with special wood crackle effects.

I second Tabard. It is an especially romantic space to trek to if the weather is particularly foul.

Old Anglers Inn

yeeeech. <shudder> why? not for the food I hope. Sorry, but OAI is one of the worst hoaxes foisted on the dining public since... since... oh heck, since the beginning of time.

I have fantasis of buying out the current owner(s) <boot!> and turning it into a good coffee/tea house. Not that I'm bitter or anything. :lol:

Come on, real weather enthusiasts get their info from CapitalWeather.com  :huh:

Thanks for that tip, jcc! Where has this site been all my life?

I'll be at Maestro mid-day tomorrow, so probably shortly after the snow starts (if CapitalWeather.com is to be believed).

I'll spend the afternoon at home, bundled under a thermal layer comprising 4 Boston terriers--mmm . . . warm bodies and snoring! :lol:

I was a line cook at the late "Cafe on M" in the Westin Hotel under Chef Robert Weidmaier during the blizzard of '96 (or was it '97?)....I digress.

I was the only cook to make it in to work that day, while driving a tiny, red Honda CRX, nonetheless. I called Chef at home to innocently find out why no one else was at work.

(The following transcript is the memory that is left in my mind. It's pretty accurate, but tons of Jagermeister, good wine and long hours have taken their toll on my mind over the last ten years!)

"Are you an idiot?!" was the answer that I received.

"No Chef. We just got that great review from Phyllis Richman and I figured we could still be busy with hotel guests. I figured we'd still be open."

"You ARE an idiot! Nobody is coming out to dinner in this shit!"

"Sorry Chef. I'll go home, then."

"Wait, Dave...(mumbling in the background)...do you want to stay in the hotel and work room service until this thing is over?"

"Uh...yes chef. No problem."

I stayed in my suite for four days (being paid 24 hours a day at $13 an hour PLUS overtime pay) and got a buzz from the front desk when any of the 30 or so hotel guests needed a grilled cheese or something.

I passed the time enjoying visits from many downtown-based friends who were thrilled to party in a hotel suite during a snowstorm! Good times...and I got paid for it!

(By the way, Chef Weidmaier is still a good friend of mine and the most influential person I have ever had the pleasure of working for. If you drop by Marcel's, tell him I said hello!)

I have fond memories from the 'blizzard of '96'  :lol:

After a day or two being cooped up in our apartment in Rosslyn (if it hadn't been Elvis week on TBS I don't know what we would have done...) my roommate and I decide to venture across the Key Bridge bound for our old haunt (at the time) - Garrett's.  It was a long, cold, windy walk across that bridge and we thought about turning back a few times.  We made it finally and it was a great evening - warm and cozy, good company - everyone was happy to be out, and cold beers.  Good times...  (even better was the fact that our favorite bartender drove us home in his 4 wheel drive!)

A few years back, on the rare snow day, I trekked with a couple friends from my end of Alexandria down to Southside 815 and had a similar experience. 

The bar at Bilbo Baggins was probably the most recent place we stopped by on a snowy evening (apologies to Mr. Frost).  The hours flew by with several glasses of wine, jolly neighbors doing the same thing we were, and a fire in the fireplace.

Murphy's also meets the walkable (from my house), cold beer, and hot fireplace criteria.

ETA - I like Jacques' thinking - Eve is a new addition since the last big snow and certainly one that I would gravitate toward - thanks for the reminder... :huh:

yeeeech.  <shudder>  why? not for the food I hope.  Sorry, but OAI is one of the worst hoaxes foisted on the dining public since... since... oh heck, since the beginning of time.

I have fantasis of buying out the current owner(s) <boot!> and turning it into a good coffee/tea house.  Not that I'm bitter or anything. :lol:

Sitting in front of the fireplace on a snowy afternoon with a single malt is the stuff of Currier and Ives. The food has been wretched for decades, but I have wonderful memories that date back to the Sixties. Not that I'm sentimental or anything.

I'd bet sitting on one of the sofas in the upstairs bar at Sonoma next to the fireplace would be a good spot to watch it snow.  The windows overlooking the street are nearly floor to ceiling.

Dude. Sold. Gimme that fire at Sonoma over the avenue with the flakes pouring down. But I need one more thing. I need a nice television to watch the downhill from Torino tomorrow with a nice bottle from Piemonte. Oh. And that meat plate. Who wants to join me?????

ETA: The snow is too deep. I may not be able to go.

Edited by CrescentFresh

Dude.  Sold.  Gimme that fire at Sonoma over the avenue with the flakes pouring down. But I need one more thing.  I need a nice television to watch the downhill from Torino tomorrow with a nice bottle from Piemonte.  Oh.  And that meat plate.  Who wants to join me?????

ETA:  The snow is too deep.  I may not be able to go.

I'm headed there around 1:30pm or so. Meat and cheese. Mmmmm. Be sitting with six or so other 20-somethings, probably with a bottle of red or two in front of us.

in 1996, me and some friends trudged through the snow in annapolis to rams head in the downstairs part that actually feels like a pub (and not the yuppified upstairs with the stage and such, not that there's anything wrong with that but it doesn't fit the snow story). work was cancelled and none of us had anything better to do then to quaff some brew. I think there must have been just 2 other tables filled in there - to occupy 2 bartenders. it was just nice to be there with good friends and not have it be loud like it normally is there.... and the bartenders could take it easy and come converse with us as well.