Khyber Pass Pub, American Pub Grub with Vegetarian and Vegan Options in Society Hill

Khyber Pass Pub (2nd Street) - Saturday morning and not much open for brunch in the Society Hill neighborhood.  We stumbled across Khyber Pass Pub...open...brunch...bloody mary's.  Done.  If grungy basement pubs with killer beer lists are your thing, this place is a must.  Food wasn't bad either.  Despite the name (it was formerly a Pakistani joint) Khyber serves New Orleans inspired food - po-boys, gumbos etc. etc.  Beignets were fine.  Boudin with eggs, hashbrowns, and toast was exactly what I was looking for to help cure a hangover.  Don't expect high cuisine here, but the next time I'm hungover in Philly and within stumbling distance of the Khyber, I'm there.  Veg/Vegan friendly.  Brunch starts at 11am Sat & Sun.  

In PA for a wedding this weekend.  Looked at us a bit funny as 3 families with kids strolled into a pub for brunch, but frankly not much else was open or looked good...plus all the parents needed a beer.  Great draft list.  I had a local bitters on cask (Yards ESA, I think).  Po-boys were tasty and filling, and the fried green tomato BLT with Benton's bacon hit the hangover helper high points.  Definitely a solid brunch/lunch option if you're in that neck of the woods.

[These paragraphs were copied from The Mother Thread as part of larger posts.

Use the Snapback Function (the little icon at the top-right of each entry) to view each post in its entirety.]

Khyber Pass Pub (2nd Street) - Saturday morning and not much open for brunch in the Society Hill neighborhood.  We stumbled across Khyber Pass Pub...open...brunch...bloody mary's.  Done.  If grungy basement pubs with killer beer lists are your thing, this place is a must.  Food wasn't bad either.  Despite the name (it was formerly a Pakistani joint) Khyber serves New Orleans inspired food - po-boys, gumbos etc. etc.  Beignets were fine.  Boudin with eggs, hashbrowns, and toast was exactly what I was looking for to help cure a hangover.  Don't expect high cuisine here, but the next time I'm hungover in Philly and within stumbling distance of the Khyber, I'm there.  Veg/Vegan friendly.  Brunch starts at 11am Sat & Sun.  

khyber pass used to be one of *the* best venues to see shows in philly.  the bulk of bands from record labels like DC's dischord, chicago's touch and go, Olymbia's K records and i'm sure many many other great labels have stopped through on their tours.

sadly, they no longer have shows there: http://archives.citypaper.net/articles/2010/07/29/khyber-philadelphia

i've seen the ex, slint, volcano suns, and skull kontrol there.

• Like 2

I very much enjoyed our late lunch at the Khyber Pass Pub this past Friday (and appreciate the explanation for the name above, we were definitely wondering about that). As others have said, the beer list is fantastic, and I quite enjoyed my gumbo and fried oyster Po' Boy. We were looking for somewhere near the tourist sites to meet some people for lunch and this fit the bill admirably.