The Trite Food List

JPW

It's just like music snobs. A band becomes trite as soon as:

A. They sell 100,000 albums

B. They have their song featured in a commercial

C. They appear on 2 late night shows (the first time a snob is happy because it allows them to say they knew about the band beforehand, but unfortunately the second appearance means they have officially become "sellouts")

D. A person from the midwest (or suburbs) is seen wearing the bands T-shirt

or E. An attempted recommendation to a friend is made prefaced by "have you ever heard of ...." and the answer is "Yea, those guys are great!"

As soon as any of these happen a true music snob will begin the search for the next "underground" band.

All those conditions except maybe C apply to J.S.Bach, too, and he isn't what I'd call trite. Pachelbel's Canon in D, definitely. ;)

Peekytoe crabs have become trite.

Peekytoe crab has always been trite, or actually I should say a waste. In the land of blue crab why waste time with a by-catch that is lacking in the same luxuriously sweet meat of our native crab? I blame Browne Trading for this phenomenon.

By the way, I can just imagine how luscious corduroy's peekytoe custard would be made with blues, hell even Gulf of Mexico blues would be better.

Burger joints (ok, a concept, not a food). Not trite yet, but I thought I'd jump ahead of the curve :lol:

I think that they are WAY beyond trite at this point. Yes, I love burgers, probably way too much for my own good, but I am not sure that if I need that many choices to find something I like, especially since many of the places that I have been to are disappointing.

At this point, you could just add pizza joints, wine bars, sushi restaurants, fine dining, tapas, Italian, French, Spanish, German, aioli, Locavore, foodie, and all consumption of food and beverages.

Not trite: Molecular Gastronomy?

Where does it end...

At this point, you could just add pizza joints, wine bars, sushi restaurants, fine dining, tapas, Italian, French, Spanish, German, aioli, Locavore, foodie, and all consumption of food and beverages.

Not trite: Molecular Gastronomy?

Where does it end...

Where are all of the German places? I need to find some of those, it has been a while.

Sablefish is certainly trite.

Absence of bread (especially using crackers as a substitute) is becoming trite.

Charcuterie has been trite for at least a year.

Chimay is trite.

And the Sablefish seems to be paired with miso lately. In more than one place.

Endives with blue cheese and pecans = trite. There are more nuts and cheeses out there for people to come up with a more unique salad.

This seems to be part of the trendy menu category of making upscale, luxurious versions of iconic "comfort" foods of the typical American's childhood: pizza, mac&cheese, hamburgers, fries, milkshakes, Carvel or Dairy Queen soft-serve, now grilled cheese sandwiches. Let's see if we can predict what's coming down the pike...umm how about Fluffernutters with single source freshly ground peanuts and homemade marshmallows on toasted brioche? Beenie-Weenie with duck frankfurters and oven-braised tarbais beans? Artisanal buffalo bologna? House-made Ovaltine mixed with farmstead creamline milk? :lol:

To be fair, didn't Whole Foods already test these waters with their grilled cheese station at the Fair Lakes megastore? Myself, I'd be happy if I could get an inexpensive, good and tangy Welsh rabbit now and then.

Well if we're being fair then a shout out to Nancy Silverton's Grilled Cheese Night at Campanile in L.A. is in order:

http://www.slashfood.com/2005/08/29/she-ma...n-at-campanile/

For a local selection, The Diner in Adams Morgan has a grilled cheese section on their menu for the past year or so. Pretty good stuff.
It's been on the menu for far longer than a year as it was on there when I bought my condo in 06

This seems to be part of the trendy menu category of making upscale, luxurious versions of iconic "comfort" foods of the typical American's childhood: pizza, mac&cheese, hamburgers, fries, milkshakes, Carvel or Dairy Queen soft-serve, now grilled cheese sandwiches. Let's see if we can predict what's coming down the pike...umm how about Fluffernutters with single source freshly ground peanuts and homemade marshmallows on toasted brioche? Beenie-Weenie with duck frankfurters and oven-braised tarbais beans? Artisanal buffalo bologna? House-made Ovaltine mixed with farmstead creamline milk? :lol:

Vodka/Gin infused mixed drinks that taste like various Hi-C/Kool-Aid/Capri-Sun flavors? Handmade "Spaghetti-Os" with Kobe beef meatballs? Housemade "graham crackers" and marshmallows with melted dark Belgian chocolate? The possibilities are really endless here.

Off topic, but there is a chain based out of Florida that a friend of mine is opening in Georgetown called The Cereal Bowl that specializes in serving a lot of the sugary cereals that I loved from my childhood. I think he told me that they have a selection of 40 or so on the menu along with oatmeal and other such things. I can't see myself going out of the way to get a bowl of Lucky Charms, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Fruity Pebbles, Vanilla Wafers, and Rainbow Sprinkles all mixed together (for what I am sure will cost at least $3-4), but I'm sure that this place will be popular with kids and some grownups looking for a piece of nostalgia from their youth.

Vodka/Gin infused mixed drinks that taste like various Hi-C/Kool-Aid/Capri-Sun flavors? Handmade "Spaghetti-Os" with Kobe beef meatballs? Housemade "graham crackers" and marshmallows with melted dark Belgian chocolate? The possibilities are really endless here.

Off topic, but there is a chain based out of Florida that a friend of mine is opening in Georgetown called The Cereal Bowl that specializes in serving a lot of the sugary cereals that I loved from my childhood. I think he told me that they have a selection of 40 or so on the menu along with oatmeal and other such things. I can't see myself going out of the way to get a bowl of Lucky Charms, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Fruity Pebbles, Vanilla Wafers, and Rainbow Sprinkles all mixed together (for what I am sure will cost at least $3-4), but I'm sure that this place will be popular with kids and some grownups looking for a piece of nostalgia from their youth.

Yeah, it is so hard to find that stuff anymore. :lol: I really don't understand how these places can draw enough business.

Yeah, it is so hard to find that stuff anymore. :lol: I really don't understand how these places can draw enough business.

I've never been to one, but I can imagine some of the draw is that you don't really want to buy a whole box of Frosted Flakes or Lucky Charms at the store (cause really, are you going to be eating that 2, 3, 4 days in a row for breakfast?) but for a "treat" every now and then, you can mix up any concoction you want plus get random toppings as well.

I've never been to one, but I can imagine some of the draw is that you don't really want to buy a whole box of Frosted Flakes or Lucky Charms at the store (cause really, are you going to be eating that 2, 3, 4 days in a row for breakfast?) but for a "treat" every now and then, you can mix up any concoction you want plus get random toppings as well.

I'm sure that they'll let you in in your jammies, too, the kind with feet in them, if you want. They probably have tv screens like in a sports bar, only they're tuned to The Cartoon Network. Being a grown-up can be SO stressful.

Kelloggs has sold individual boxes of Froot Loops, etc., since I was a kid. You can even buy them through amazon.com and have them delivered. :lol: The Cereal Bowl seems like the kind of place that would appeal to everyone leaving the bars at 2am.
Handmade "Spaghetti-Os" with Kobe beef meatballs?
That sounds awesome.

So it ended up near a college after all. There was a similar conversation last year.

Last time we talked, he said it was going in on 31st and Prospect, but that was a couple months ago, and a couple months before that it was in Rosslyn. I'll have to see where he is and if they did finalize everything with the Georgetown lease.

Countdown to trite: the (nature/f&b noun) and (nature/f&b noun) restaurant/cafe name, with Alexandria's Grape + Bean soon getting joined by Tap and Vine in Arlington and Birch & Barley in Logan Circle, all joining SF's Bourbon & Branch and NYC's Sundaes and Cones, Fig & Olive, and Grape and Grain.

Countdown to trite: the (nature/f&b noun) and (nature/f&b noun) restaurant/cafe name, with Alexandria's Grape + Bean soon getting joined by Tap and Vine in Arlington and Birch & Barley in Logan Circle, all joining SF's Bourbon & Branch and NYC's Sundaes and Cones, Fig & Olive, and Grape and Grain.

Excellent call. I see this little trend picking up even more steam as there are way too many variations that people can come up with.

we have a winner!

adding bread & brew

adding Cork & Fork (link to Metrocurean story)