JPW

The Trite Food List

Serious Eats just published the results of their Sriracha taste test. They agreed with you about Shark (came in second to another Thai brand named Polar), but disagreed concerning Sriraja Panich. I am sure that if the rankings were done by someone who is Thai or steeped in Thai food the results might be different.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/taste-test-the-best-sriracha.html?ref=title

That's funny. AFAIK Sriraja Panich is the original brand. I would be hard pressed to taste a difference between it and Shark. I alternate brands and they both taste almost exactly the same to me. Both shark and Panich come in various heat levels, with "strong" being the hottest. It sounds like they got the mild one, because their tasters said it wasn't spicy. I only buy "strong". Notice how all the others have crap in them (sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate etc.) including Huy Fong (rooster).

Slushies and pickled vegetables. I had a strawberry slushie at Radius a few weeks ago that was horrendous. And those damn pickled veggies are everywhere.

• Like 1

Slushies and pickled vegetables. I had a strawberry slushie at Radius a few weeks ago that was horrendous. And those damn pickled veggies are everywhere.

Yes to both, and it's rare when mega-restaurants *start* trends, which both 7-11 and Fat Tuesdays did with their slushies; usually, by the time something gets to TGIFriday's, it's made the rounds of every independent restaurant in the country.

And chefs: the pickles just aren't *that* good. I mean, they're okay, but we have nothing special here.

Despite the criticism of the article, small plates are post-trite; "small plates for sharing" are post-post-trite. It's one thing to offer them; it's another altogether to capitalize on them as your marketing plan. This is not Spain, nor will it ever be. Or, if it is, how about some Txakoli for $2 a glass?

• Like 2

Hazelnuts. They're everywhere. Is there a World Hazelnut Consortium or something that went on a major marketing campaign?

Hazelnuts. They're everywhere. Is there a World Hazelnut Consortium or something that went on a major marketing campaign?

Could it be related to the Nutella obcession? Every pastry chef has something Nutella on the menu.

• Like 1

I like hazelnuts, so I'm going to vote for anything containing one or more of the granoly trinity of flax, chia, and/or hemp seeds. Extra points if they are "meal."

I may not be the first to have said this, but I fear we have reached the point where all food is trite.

My bag of Lays "limon"-flavored potato chips says (with emphasis in the original): "It all starts with farm-grown potatoes -"

• Like 1

I may not be the first to have said this, but I fear we have reached the point where all food is trite.

My bag of Lays "limon"-flavored potato chips says (with emphasis in the original): "It all starts with farm-grown potatoes -"

We might need a whole separate thread on trite phrases.  Artisan and artisanal are ones that became trite long ago.  They come to mind because an hour ago I saw some advertising for "artisan dentistry". :huh:

We might need a whole separate thread on trite phrases.  Artisan and artisanal are ones that became trite long ago.  They come to mind because an hour ago I saw some advertising for "artisan dentistry". :huh:

Does the dentist paint little Mona Lisas on your chicklets?

^ I have a nominee! Cooked to, grilled to, whatever to... perfection!

I forget where this comes from, probably from an English-language menu in a non-English-speaking country quite a long time ago, but there's a laugh line in my family: "Grilled to the perfection of your choice."

..."It all starts with farm-grown potatoes -"

That's greenwashing, which, aside from being trite, is deliberately misleading, flirts with fraud and is consistent with much of the deceptive labeling that plagues this nation's food culture.  Like Clyde's "grass-fed" hamburgers, which are nothing more than grain-finished steers, like 97.5% of all other beef out there, suckers.

Does the dentist paint little Mona Lisas on your chicklets?

I recall someone from a newsgroup I used to frequent who has an image tattooed on a tooth.  Just sayin'...

Lobster mac and cheese. Now availabe at longhorn steakhouse and at every shitty sysco supplied restaurant in Maine.. and, based on my recent experiences, hummus, and feta cheese.. bit of a culinary waste land around here..

• Like 1

This is good - they missed "blistered" for the shishito peppers. :)

They say the best satire is rooted in truth, and that's why this is so on the mark.

• Like 1

I only have 3 on my menu {at an average of $2 less per}  Not Trendy here, but I could have told you that.  

I only have 3 on my menu {at an average of $2 less per}  Not Trendy here, but I could have told you that.  

post-2-0-27736000-1406306120_thumb.png :)