The Trite Food List

JPW

16 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Hamachi/Kampachi/Scallop Crudo is trite.

(Also profitable - there's a reason it's on half the menus in town.)

Great to know -- I love hamachi and am one of the clueless folks who'd order anywhere it's offered, but not anymore if we're getting fleeced.  Is it profitable more because the ingredients aren't too expensive at wholesale, or because restaurants can get away with squeezing out a high volume of small portions while charging regular appetizer prices?  My guess is the latter.

31 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Great to know -- I love hamachi and am one of the clueless folks who'd order anywhere it's offered, but not anymore if we're getting fleeced.  Is it profitable more because the ingredients aren't too expensive at wholesale, or because restaurants can get away with squeezing out a high volume of small portions while charging regular appetizer prices?  My guess is the latter.

I didn't mean to imply "fleeced" - it's a high-demand item, and it almost always tastes good (it's generally my first instinct to have with a Gin and Tonic, for example - a nibble before the appetizer). The condiments (usually acidic (orange, jalapeño, etc.)) can improve less-than perfect seafood. The cuts are often quite thin, but spread out on the plate to cover a relatively large surface area (carpaccio takes this a step further). I've never measured, but I suspect most portions of crudo aren't any more ample than a couple pieces of sashimi - and crudo generally costs $10-15.

In addition, nobody has ever gotten full from it. :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Yes, when did that become a "thing?" I've noticed it also, but only fairly recently.

Add it to their answer of being mindful of food waste. I call BS. I’d confidently conclude that it gets tossed out in the trash in the end, so how is that a no-waste solution?