The Trite Food List

JPW

I am a bit tempted to reiterate that "air" is trite. Except that after sampling another one of Thrasher's amazing creations, I must admit nothing he does is trite - even if it is topped with "air". It's just words, after all.

What would you do with three flats of blueberries? Steep 'em in vodka and make a cocktail! Thanks, Todd.

A well executed poached egg is never trite.

Indeed. However, it does appear that the poached egg is bordering on triteness. All it lacks at the moment is a couple examples of incongruous usage.

Indeed. However, it does appear that the poached egg is bordering on triteness. All it lacks at the moment is a couple examples of incongruous usage.
. . . Head banger . . . (all things edible from the head) turned into a truly delectable sausage.
I enjoyed this Saturday night ... I loved the poached quail egg on top .
Example #1? :unsure:

Why would this be "incongruous usage?" I thought eggs went with sausage.
A sausage, stuffed with snouts, ears, eyeballs and who knows what else from the head of a pig...seems to me an incongruity paired with a delicate quail egg, that's all. I'm sure it's freakin' delicious.

A sausage, stuffed with snouts, ears, eyeballs and who knows what else from the head of a pig...seems to me an incongruity paired with a delicate quail egg, that's all. I'm sure it's freakin' delicious.
Juxtaposition! Juxtaposition!!

You would be correct: it was freakin' delicious. Not the least bit incongruous, or trite. The fragile, quivering egg yolk resting atop the slice of sausage (banger), barely concealed by the white: just the slightest resistance to my fork as I pierced it, then collapse as the viscous yellow liquid flowed slowly down the sides of the sausage, over the tiny edge of mashed potato, onto the plate. That's good eats, and not the least bit trite!

What did you think sausage was made of? Recall the old Samual Clemmons remark about the two things you did not want to see being made.

death and taxes? :unsure:

Edited to add: emoticon to indicate post was made in jest.

Sausages and Laws but I believe that might have been Samuel Clemens as opposed to whoever the remark was attributed to..however to quote from a nameless source:

a librarian from the Congressional Research Service assured me that

there is no written source for the quotation. It was a

verbal quip tossed off by Bismarck, a statesman known

for his wit (among other things).

The original statement is: "Laws are like sausages. It is better not to see them being made"? (have I beat this to death yet? ;) )

"People who love sausage and respect the law should never watch either one being made" is attributed to Unknown (that fabulous author of many wonderful things)

Actually, CRS's reference reads as follows:

AUTHOR: Otto von Bismarck (1815-98)
QUOTATION: If you like laws and sausages, you should never watch either one being made.
ATTRIBUTION: Widely attributed to OTTO VON BISMARCK. Unverified.
Online and publicly accessible here.

Has the beet and goat cheese salad been floated as a contender here yet? I'm a huge fan of this dish, but it is on every menu in town... The preparations aren't even very different, just the presentation. Is this the new Caesar?
When I vacation in Canada, the Caesar ALWAYS has bacon in it. Now I like bacon, but on vacation when I am eating 3 meals a day out, I dont' really need any extra meat in my salad. Nearly everyone offers a beet and goat cheese salad and I will happily have that most nights. If it is trite here, it has been trite in Ontario for years now!

I think some McDonald's on the Eastern Shore of Maryland used to serve crabcake sandwiches.

I've definitely seen crabcakes on the menu at Baltimore-area McDs. Just like I saw Halibut McNuggets in Alaska, and the McOz (slice of picked beet on the burger) in Australia...

And in the past I have seen lobster rolls at McDonalds in Rockland, Maine.
I-95 rest stop McDonalds outside Mystic, CT!

I don't think I can support the nomination of soft shell crabs. They have a limited season, so the instinct is to 'smoke them while you've got them' (I tried smoking soft-shell crabs once, but they're so hard to keep lit). I'm ok with that. It's like me and Cadbury Creme Eggs. They come but once a year.

"Mini Bite"

Is somewhat trite.

I guess the eds

Write the subheads?

My

My

Stretch, I

want to

say this

to you

It was me

it's my shame

Mini Bites

I'm to blame

Because my notes

aren't full reviews

I chose this term

which lit your fuse

And yes I will add

although it's not right

I fucked your sister

up the ass last night.

Today's entry is not a dish, but a dish -- narrow rectangular plates are now trite.

Also, trying to serve "Neapolitan" pizza cooked in a wood-burning oven is now trite.

Finally, I found what to me so far is the earliest reference to a "miniature hamburger" in a 1980 cookbook from a catering company in Lynchburg, VA. This proves the enduring triteness of the mini-burger.

Finally, I found what to me so far is the earliest reference to a "miniature hamburger" in a 1980 cookbook from a catering company in Lynchburg, VA. This proves the enduring triteness of the mini-burger.
Both White Castle and Little Tavern started making them in the 20's.

Is charcuterie trite yet?

I'm a big fan myself, but gee, I could go a couple of days without reading that word.

Keep me posted...

[Main Entry: trite
Pronunciation: 'trIt
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): trit·er; trit·est
Etymology: Latin tritus, from past participle of terere to rub, wear away -- more at THROW
: hackneyed or boring from much use : not fresh or original ]

Is charcuterie trite yet?

I'm a big fan myself, but gee, I could go a couple of days without reading that word.

Keep me posted...

[Main Entry: trite
Pronunciation: 'trIt
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): trit·er; trit·est
Etymology: Latin tritus, from past participle of terere to rub, wear away -- more at THROW
: hackneyed or boring from much use : not fresh or original ]

I've had similar thoughts.

Poached eggs? I first had it in the bacon egg and cheese salad at Eve, but they have also made appearances in the pea soup at Blue Duck Tavern, on the pan roasted mushroom salad at Circle Bistro, the spinach and shrimp salad at Restaurant Kolumbia, and in asparagus soup at Galileo. I like poking a fork into the yolk and watching the goo ooze out. Except when it doesn't.

If Joel Stein gets a full page article in Time magazine about the ubiquity of poached eggs, and the rise of sous vide poached eggs in particular, can we now declare it trite?

I've been pretty happy to discover, on at least half the dinner menus I've scanned in the past year, entrées topped with a poached egg: halibut, salmon, pasta, chorizo, ratatouille, tuna tartare, mushrooms, chicken, crab cakes, asparagus, salad. And it always works, adding a richness and silkiness to everything, a protein-on-protein, Atkins-era overindulgence that makes me psyched to be an American. "Hey, this is delicious, but wouldn't it be better if we plopped some bird ovum on it?"

Is a beet salad trite per se, or does it become trite only with the addition of goat cheese?

Are we of the chicken salad, avocado & sprouts on a split croissant demographic the most fickle of nations when it comes to deeming foods "in", "out", "trendy" or "trite"?

I love beets. A traditional source of sugar, they're dessert before dessert.

They're eye-candy, too: deep purplish-reds; ruby; yellow-orange; pale as roux, tinged faintly pink. They glisten, squeezed with lemon juice. Sliced, raw Chioggia beets betray their lineage: peppermints that fell in love with birch trees. Piled high at the farmers market or even in the produce aisles, bunches of beets catch your attention and call out your name. Before the return of the tomato season, they provide color to leafy salads.

If the leaves are healthy, fresh beets are, as one Californian put it, three vegetables in one: the bulbous root, the stalks and leaves. Vegetarians can feel as smug as cooks from cultures who eat the eyes, ears, tails, ovaries, feet, brains and boil up the bones of animals that daintier folk like to think of in terms of hamburgers, fillets, shanks and such.

Moreover, they're the principal proof that you can overcome a childhood antipathy towards a gross canned food product by growing up and roasting the fresh real thing.

It's been years since I've put on the leather vest that the doomed envelope-licking Susan wore on the Seinfeld show. But I will never give up beets.

Are we of the chicken salad, avocado & sprouts on a split croissant demographic the most fickle of nations when it comes to deeming foods "in", "out", "trendy" or "trite"?

Same thoughts here. Is coq au vin trite? What about spaghetti carbonara? Or kitfo? Can classic preparations or flavor combinations ever really be "in" or "out?"