JPW

The Trite Food List

So you think Corduroy's spring rolls are trite?

trite for me:

spring rolls or "cigars" served anywhere besides real asian restaurants

Sprinkling crap--whether it's parsley or spices or whatever--around the edge of the plate is trite. And uncreative. And ugly. And it gets on your shirt cuffs.

Sprinkling crap--whether it's parsley or spices or whatever--around the edge of the plate is trite. And uncreative. And ugly. And it gets on your shirt cuffs.

BAM!!!

i can understand how mini-burgers have become trite....a play off an old dish. but how exactly can an ingredient like squash blossoms or artichokes or watermelon become trite? they are ingredients. stuffed squash blossoms have been used all over the mediterranean, not because they are pretty, but because they are widespread. people use what they have. and i have had delicious squash blossoms here, the most memorable being at komi this sommer, stuffed with ricotta and deep fried and then served with house made pasterma.....oh but i guess homeade charcuterie is trite....

and so is the deep fryer.

trite for me:

spring rolls or "cigars" served anywhere besides real asian restaurants

squash blossoms are trite when they are put on the menu because they sound good but the people in the kitchen in all honesty would rather spend their time doing something else, and it shows on the plate. a chef of high repute does something creative with watermelon and tomatoes and everyone starts jumping on the bandwagon, and before you know it watermelon starts popping up where it didn't used to be, and who needs it. it's easier to spit out the seeds at home.

Ok, DC may not be lahdidahdi frickin' New York, but at least it isn't Boston.

They're bite-size nuggets of appetizer heaven. Mini-burgers are all the rage around Boston. -- Boston Globe, January 11, 2006.

TimeOut's Curry predicts that when this craze passes, brunch may be the next to shrink. Expect mini French toast, mini waffles, and mini pigs-in-blankets. ''God knows,' he says, "they're adorable."

Mini pigs-in-blankets. Preemptively trite.

Edited by Stretch

They're bite-size nuggets of appetizer heaven. Mini-burgers are all the rage around Boston. -- Boston Globe, January 11, 2006.

See the reaction of diners showing up for Restaurant Week and told by Nadya that the $30.06 main course will consist of either a chicken breast or Mini-Burghers

Roe,

Dan.

How can you have mini pigs-in-blankets? Why am I envisioning them being served in the hands of a Barbie doll?

My personal enemies: the inevitable soup troika of French Onion, Clam Chowder, and Creamy Potato - the latter of which is inevitably guaranteed to consist mostly of chicken stock and bacon.

According to KidsPost, April 24 is National Pigs-in-blankets day. Can they be trite if they have their own day?

See the reaction of diners showing up for Restaurant Week and told by Nadya that the $30.06 main course will consist of either a chicken breast or Mini-Burghers

Roe,

Dan.

For a maxi-burgher check out 2941.

Beets, beets, everwhere beets!

[but I like them so it's ok if they're becoming trite.]

The thing is beets and tuna tartare have been on menus for a long time. They're not really trite, they are survivors.

It's not trite, but who's sick of no good ceviche? Why are there so many that taste the same? zzzzzzzzzz

Not that I don't like them, but: vegetable purées. Or is their ubiquity just a sign of chefs' seasonal challenge of coming up with various ways to serve root vegetables?

Oh my god, how passe. I've been making them for my daughter's birthday parties for 4 years now. :)

Oh my god, how passe.  I've been making them for my daughter's birthday parties for 4 years now.  :)

No, you're just avant-garde.

Ok, it's official. According to a commercial I just saw, Ruby Tuesday is now offering miniburgers.

Ok, it's official. According to a commercial I just saw, Ruby Tuesday is now offering miniburgers.

Does anyone know who coined the term "miniburgers?" I think Matchbox pioneered the concept in the DC area (actually, Little Tavern did), but did they come up with the name as well?

Does anyone know who coined the term "miniburgers?" I think Matchbox pioneered the concept in the DC area (actually, Little Tavern did), but did they come up with the name as well?

In 1989 Phyllis wrote about them, how they were appearing as a kids' item (at The Jockey Club), and there's even a recipe in that column. And I wonder, food writers does AP have style guidelines for "mini-burger" yet? I see "mini burger" and "miniburger" just as much. I for one, like miniature hambergers (mingers). Can't wait til Ray's has wagU mingers.

Fusion anything: latin asian, in particular.

The only way that fusion as a description is OK is if it's a '90s nostalgia place.

(Can you tell I reluctantly ate at Merkado last week?)

Edited by MeMc