Clyde's, a Georgetown-Based Chain - Giant American Restaurants in Numerous Area Locations

I couldn't find a separate thread for this place. We've had some mighty good meals at the Clyde's in Tysons but most have been meh and we otherwise don't have reason to visit any of the other restaurants in this local group. We wouldn't have gone to Tower Oak Lodge were it not for the fact that we were dealing with an elderly relative who doesn't like to drive more than 10 minutes for a meal and other relatives with unknown food preferences/restrictions. This place has a reasonably wide selection and it was very close by.

The service, the decor, and the noise were the problems. For instance, you can't book on Open Table for parties of more than four, yet the place is full of tables for six. The reception area is chaos. They have no idea which tables are open and ready, sending waitstaff running all over the huge restaurant to check. We had a wonderful waitress who was patient and friendly, but the rest of the service was terrible. We had the auctioning off of food, we had runners handing plates across people instead of walking around the table, we couldn't get more iced tea, etc. The noise level was very high. And the decor is just ridiculous - all dark wood, oil paintings with hunting scenes, a taxidermied fox, hunting bugles, etc.

The food was mostly fine. There was a chilled peach/goat cheese soup that failed miserably in flavor and texture but the other dishes were tasty. I had a turkey burger with some kind of spiced apple-flavored sauce. It was served with a very good fresh fruit salad. My husband had a rigatoni with Italian sausage that wasn't quite spicy enough but very good flavor. One relative had the Baked Maine Haddock and said it was terrific. My mother loved her crab cake.

I would not return here and wouldn't recommend it to anyone because the service (other than the very good waitress), the decor, and the noise really made it an unpleasant experience.

I was at Tower Oaks tonight and the food was good (not great but definitely good).  I like this restaurant and definitely would return.  We had two apps - Buffalo Wings and Fried Calamari.  The wings definitely were a little too mild and could have used a little more kick but not terrible.  I did enjoy the calamari as it had a sweet sauce with it that had just a hint of sweetness, the menu called it a Thai chili sauce and it worked very well to be a step above generic boring calamari.

The steak salad I recommend too, the filets were done perfectly medium rare and the blue cheese with apples were in excellent proportions.

We shared a brownie sundae for dessert and the portion is quite large, so if you get this plan on sharing.  This really hit the spot and was sweet and rich without being sicky sweet.

Clydes sometimes gets overlooked but I like them and think they can belong in anyones restaurant rotation.

• Like 2

Clydes sometimes gets overlooked but I like them and think they can belong in anyones restaurant rotation.

Hear hear! I would take Clyde's over many other local chain options anytime. Another thing I like about Clyde's is that you can walk in and order anything you want, off the menu, and if the kitchen has the ingredients they'll make it. And as far as Happy Hour goes, there's not a better deal in town than Clyde's half-price raw bar.

(General Rant -- each Clyde's has a unique name, like Clyde's at Mark Center or Clyde's Tower Oaks Lodge. As such, each should appear separately in the Dining Guide, such as the GAR's Mike's or Artie's, with their disturbingly similar menus. Just saying....)

• Like 1

(General Rant -- each Clyde's has a unique name, like Clyde's at Mark Center or Clyde's Tower Oaks Lodge. As such, each should appear separately in the Dining Guide, such as the GAR's Mike's or Artie's, with their disturbingly similar menus. Just saying....)

[Not a chance. I do agree, however, that the top 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 restaurants with multiple locations should be doubled-listed in the DC, MD, and VA Dining Guides (this is in fact what I do in the Late Night Dining Guide which is why places like Hard Times Cafe are listed perhaps a dozen times in there). Being forced to refer to the Multiple Locations Guide is the single biggest, most consistent complaint I get about the Dining Guides - in fact, it's the *only* complaint I get, but I get it fairly often. If it happens, I'm merely going to list them at the bottom of each geographical subregion; I am not going to include them in the rankings because I don't have the ability to do it.]

• Like 1

After a couple of blah experiences in earlier years, we had a group lunch in January at the Mark Center location.  I was dreading it due to previous blah experiences, but I was pleasantly surprised.  I had a delicious chicken dish with a mustard sauce.  The sides with it were great too.  All my friends liked their dishes.  It may not be on my regular rotation, but I won't object if someone wants to go there.

I was at Tower Oaks tonight and the food was good (not great but definitely good).  I like this restaurant and definitely would return. 

I find myself at Clydes restaurants quite a bit and find the Tower Oaks location to be the best of the lot.  Some of the locations seem to phone it in from the kitchen - the food isn't bad per se but definitely nothing worth going to if there are other options (Chevy Chase, I'm talking to you).  Others seem to have persistent service problems (Gallery Place).  But Jeff Eng typically puts out solid offerings that you may not expect to find at a Clydes and the bar service is generally top notch.

I'll add to the nice comments and say I enjoy Clyde's. Not always a first choice but perfectly fine. I agree on the distinct difference between several locations (Columbia, I am talking bout you!). I find Tysons & Willow Creek in VA to consistently execute very well with knowledgeable service, menu variety, reasonable pricing and quality of ingredients.

I'd add I have oddball annoying requests which, without fail, are happily received by wait staff at the two locations (no salt, steamed veg, change the setup to eliminate potato, swap out this side for another etc.). No lip or eye rolling - just eagerness to please which is appreciated. Also, the monthly special at all locations usually offers very good value for the price (lobster, filet mignon, halibut).

• Like 2

After bashing Clyde's upthread somewhere I'll have to add to the lukewarm praise here.  We took my m-i-l to Tower Oaks for her birthday recently.  She had lots of special requests, like many people her age, and they were all handled graciously and without fuss.  And the food was actually pretty good, though I can't remember now what we ate, other than apple fritters.  Mr P summed it up well: "they certainly know their demographic".

• Like 1

Allow me also to point out that Clyde's takes its decorating seriously, even to another level. Right down to the silver-headed screws on the horn cleats made especially for the yachting room at the Mark Center, or the fox hunting "mural" on the back wall at the Reston Town Center, made entirely from antique prints, or the Babe Ruth painting at Gallery Place that was commissioned for Clyde's (and contains Clyde's personalities mingled in throughout the Yankee Stadium seats)....I marvel at the amount of effort and resources that goes into putting a Clyde's restaurant together, and whenever I enter one for that amazing half-price raw bar (4-7pm, every day).

• Like 1

Lest we forget, that bawdy mural in the Palm Room at Tysons has many a Clyde's old timer cavorting in their birthday suit. Though its thirty years on, some leering faces are unchanged. Dorian Grey & all that.

Willow Creek has literally a barn full of amazing Americana bric-a-brac - horse carriages suspended from the barn ceiling, Revere silver and, most impressive to me, a lovely small side room of beautifully framed original Audubon bird prints.

• Like 1

Lest we forget, that bawdy mural in the Palm Room at Tysons has many a Clyde's old timer cavorting in their birthday suit. Though its thirty years on, some leering faces are unchanged. Dorian Grey & all that.

Willow Creek has literally a barn full of amazing Americana bric-a-brac - horse carriages suspended from the barn ceiling, Revere silver and, most impressive to me, a lovely small side room of beautifully framed original Audubon bird prints.

The original owner of F. Scott's, the Tombs and 1789 was retained by Clyde's as a design consultant. He brought with him a lifetime treasure trove of antique prints, worth $$millions, and many of them have found their way onto the walls of various of the Clyde's....his eye for detail is other-wordly, and little touch you see or hear about was cleverly concocted in this eclectic mind.

We just had 3 dozen oysters and 6 clams at Tower Oaks Lodge by Clyde s.  The visual assault on our eyes of both the Christmas display {blindingly bright lights almost everywhere} and the actual decor {a traditional hunting lodge as imagined by Walt Disney... reminded me of Club 33 at Anaheim's Disneyland whom I used to sell wine to.

After the horror of walking to the oyster bar, we enjoyed every type of oyster on their list, but with more shell pieces than we should have.  Kusshis were superb the first round and just so so the second.  But the range of styles of oyster was good.  The clams wonderful {and we asked for 6 and got 9 or so as they were a little small, but charged for 6.

In order to fill the belly a little and absorb the beer, we had onion rings made in a thin style that were sitting under the heat lamp.  Full of oil, the first half were good in a nostalgic way {my mom used to make green bean casserole with Durkee's canned fried onions} but not good, and the second half greasy as hell and unpleasant until we discovered how they were a good scoop for the cocktail sauce and horseradish accompaniment to the oysters {we are a few drops of lemon oyster eaters.}  Kale chips were also tasty at the start but again, drenched in oil.  We did eat them all, but felt it the next morning in the heavy felling left in our stomachs.

The tap selection has Heavy Seas Holiday seasonal,  Lagunitas IPA and Evolution Number 3.  These were the only non pedestrian selections on 12 taps or so.  The bottle list held a little more interest.

In conclusion, like every meal I have had a Clyde's etc., venture past the raw bar and you are on your own.  But the oyster bar at happy hour pricing oon Christmas Eve filled the bill.  And the bill was very reasonable {$100 for three beers, 3 dozen oysters, 6 clams, kale & onion rings and tax and a 20+% tip}  If we had come in and paid full price, I would be up in arms at getting ripped off.

• Like 1

To our server last night at the Gallery Place Clyde's:

Don't tell me that I'm a fool for ordering a Jim Beam and Coke because you think that your ridiculous house cocktails (with ingredients like Pinnacle whipped cream vodka) are more "tasty."  I drink what I like.  I think sweet flavored vodkas are shit.  And I think they're even more shit when mixed with Malibu, pineapple juice, and a fucking whipped cream garnish.

Don't get frustrated with me when you're asked, for the third time, for a chair to cap the table so I can sit down.  I'm currently standing like an idiot at your table with my friends.  It's not my fucking fault that, 10 minutes and two visits after I arrived and you said "I'll be right back with that," you couldn't be bothered to make sure I had a place to comfortably sit down.

Don't come to the table and admit that, 40 minutes after appetizers hit the table, you forgot to ring in the entrees, then come back to the table and try and tell me that it was either the kitchen or management that caused the massive delay.  You've already told me what the problem was - it was YOU.  I might have believed you if you lied to me up front, but coming up with that lie afterwards in an attempt to save your tip?  Fuck.  Off.

And if you DO forget to ring in entrees?  Make fucking sure that my friend's salad comes out with the dressing on the side, like she ordered it.  Or that my friend's chili dog gets the extra chili on his fries, as he ordered it.  Forgetting to ring in entrees happens from time to time.  Forgetting to ring in modifications happens from time to time.  Fucking up ringing in an order after forgetting to ring in entrees is totally fucking unacceptable under any circumstances, and makes me think that you're either completely incompetent on every level, or were working while drunk.  Considering the number of times you were slurring words while talking to our table, I'm tempted to believe it was the latter.

But most offensive in my book?  You actually have the audacity to drop a check with everything on it, including the numbers of rounds of cocktails ordered while waiting for the food that you couldn't be bothered to order.  FUCKING UP SERVICE IS NOT A STRATEGY TO DRIVE UP YOUR CHECK AVERAGE, JACKASS.  After pointing out that you were out of your fucking mind, you were kind enough to remove one round of cocktails.  That doesn't even begin to atone for the many sins against the restaurant industry you perpetrated throughout our overlong stay at your table, but at least it gives me hope that you're not a total fucking space cadet.

As a member of the service industry, I understand that the job isn't easy, and as a result, I'll often leave 20% even when there's some significant hiccups in the service.  But last night wasn't a case of simple mistakes - it felt like an attempt to actively sabotage our attempt at a good time.  I have only stiffed a server once before in my life - last night made it two, which you probably didn't notice, because my friends inexplicably left 15% on their portion of the bill.  But if you do somehow find this, know that if it had been in my hands, I would have been happy to leave you absolutely nothing on the $210 of food and (mostly) drink that we accumulated.  I would have left Clyde's happier last night had a manager come up to me and told me that I had to order and run our own food and drinks.  As it is, the chance that I might ever encounter such grossly incompetent service with such mediocre food basically guarantees that I never set foot into a Clyde's restaurant again.

And if you do find this, please do your brothers and sisters in the service profession a favor, and quit your job.  Immediately.  It's assholes like you that cause patrons to come into our restaurants and assume that we're idiots from the start.  Most of us care, and want to do everything we can to make sure the guest has a good time.  You, my friend, clearly could not give a shit.

• Like 4

To our server last night at the Gallery Place Clyde's:

Don't tell me that I'm a fool for ordering a Jim Beam and Coke because you think that your ridiculous house cocktails (with ingredients like Pinnacle whipped cream vodka) are more "tasty."  I drink what I like.  I think sweet flavored vodkas are shit.  And I think they're even more shit when mixed with Malibu, pineapple juice, and a fucking whipped cream garnish.

Don't get frustrated with me when you're asked, for the third time, for a chair to cap the table so I can sit down.  I'm currently standing like an idiot at your table with my friends.  It's not my fucking fault that, 10 minutes and two visits after I arrived and you said "I'll be right back with that," you couldn't be bothered to make sure I had a place to comfortably sit down.

Don't come to the table and admit that, 40 minutes after appetizers hit the table, you forgot to ring in the entrees, then come back to the table and try and tell me that it was either the kitchen or management that caused the massive delay.  You've already told me what the problem was - it was YOU.  I might have believed you if you lied to me up front, but coming up with that lie afterwards in an attempt to save your tip?  Fuck.  Off.

And if you DO forget to ring in entrees?  Make fucking sure that my friend's salad comes out with the dressing on the side, like she ordered it.  Or that my friend's chili dog gets the extra chili on his fries, as he ordered it.  Forgetting to ring in entrees happens from time to time.  Forgetting to ring in modifications happens from time to time.  Fucking up ringing in an order after forgetting to ring in entrees is totally fucking unacceptable under any circumstances, and makes me think that you're either completely incompetent on every level, or were working while drunk.  Considering the number of times you were slurring words while talking to our table, I'm tempted to believe it was the latter.

But most offensive in my book?  You actually have the audacity to drop a check with everything on it, including the numbers of rounds of cocktails ordered while waiting for the food that you couldn't be bothered to order.  FUCKING UP SERVICE IS NOT A STRATEGY TO DRIVE UP YOUR CHECK AVERAGE, JACKASS.  After pointing out that you were out of your fucking mind, you were kind enough to remove one round of cocktails.  That doesn't even begin to atone for the many sins against the restaurant industry you perpetrated throughout our overlong stay at your table, but at least it gives me hope that you're not a total fucking space cadet.

As a member of the service industry, I understand that the job isn't easy, and as a result, I'll often leave 20% even when there's some significant hiccups in the service.  But last night wasn't a case of simple mistakes - it felt like an attempt to actively sabotage our attempt at a good time.  I have only stiffed a server once before in my life - last night made it two, which you probably didn't notice, because my friends inexplicably left 15% on their portion of the bill.  But if you do somehow find this, know that if it had been in my hands, I would have been happy to leave you absolutely nothing on the $210 of food and (mostly) drink that we accumulated.  I would have left Clyde's happier last night had a manager come up to me and told me that I had to order and run our own food and drinks.  As it is, the chance that I might ever encounter such grossly incompetent service with such mediocre food basically guarantees that I never set foot into a Clyde's restaurant again.

And if you do find this, please do your brothers and sisters in the service profession a favor, and quit your job.  Immediately.  It's assholes like you that cause patrons to come into our restaurants and assume that we're idiots from the start.  Most of us care, and want to do everything we can to make sure the guest has a good time.  You, my friend, clearly could not give a shit.

Wow.

For *you*, with your excellent track record of being a courteous diner, to get *this* pissed off ... let's just say: I believe every word you write here.

I'm sorry this happened to you - it can ruin an entire evening, no matter how relentlessly optimistic and forgiving you are.

You may want to write Clyde's, point them to this post, and share the server's name on the check. They don't want this type of thing any more than you do - this is clearly the case of one individual having a *horrible* night, for whatever reason. They'll know very well if this is an aberration, or the norm, and will act accordingly.

• Like 3

Wow.

For *you*, with your excellent track record of being a courteous diner, to get *this* pissed off ... let's just say: I believe every word you write here.

I'm sorry this happened to you - it can ruin an entire evening, no matter how relentlessly optimistic and forgiving you are.

You may want to write Clyde's, point them to this post, and share the server's name on the check. They don't want this type of thing any more than you do - this is clearly the case of one individual having a *horrible* night, for whatever reason. They'll know very well if this is an aberration, or the norm, and will act accordingly.

Just to follow up, the friends who were most affected by everything (I joined late in the meal) did write to Clyde's, and were given a $150 gift card for their troubles.  So props to Clyde's management/corporate for doing everything they reasonably could on our end to remedy the situation after the fact.

My son used to work at Clyde's and he said that the Gallery Place location was widely considered the worst place to work in the chain. perhaps not surprising, then, that the quality of the servers stuck working there is low.  I think it's also too big to have any really effective quality control.

My Aunt said she wanted to go out to dinner to celebrate tonight. I asked what we were celebrating, and she replied "You not ving to cook and me not having to clean up". Works for me. She lives about 1 mile west of Cabin John Mall in the restaurant desert of Potomac.

She is 85 and not very real flexible about food and didn't want to be in the car long. Given those restraints, I suggested Clyde's Tower Oaks.

She doesn't eat much and just ordered a bowl of Cram of Crab soup and the fried chicken livers.

The soup was quite good if a little peppery for her, I liked it fine. The chicken livers were devoid of salt in both the breading and the "Pomegranate Chicken Jus" which accompanied it.

I started with the Mitake Mushroom Tempura and thought it was tempura cauliflower when it arrived because the pieces were so large. No. It was because the breading was so thick, soggy and greasy. I was more like soft fish and chips batter than tempura. No crispness at all. The waitress (Anita) came over and I explained that I didn't like it and why. She asked if I wanted a replacement and I chose the Wild Mushroom Cigars. I had asked about them earlier and decided on the other mushroom app because I thought that rice paper would not be a good medium for the dish. I was right.  Again, a dish that was way too oily as if the frying temp was too low. Otherwise at least the flavor was good.

I really am not a complainer when I go out because I spent so many years behind the swinging doors, these 2 dishes were not done well. At least the chicken liver was easily fixed with a touch of salt.

I had Steak Frites for an entree and it was a perfectly done (MR) hanger steak. I couldn't taste any truffle on the fries (perhaps someone waved a bottle of truffle flavored oil in that direction) but the Bearnaise was just right.

I've been going to the Clyde's group since they opened in Georgetown and just need to remember: Keep your food order simple. Just have items from the raw bar or simply prepared items and you can be quite happy. The service was quite good. All in all, not an unpleasant or expensive dinner, just a night out. Tab was $51.50 with a G&T and a cup of hot tea and added a ten for a tip. I've spent a lot more for lesser food with bad service elsewhere.

• Like 2

At this point I'm happy to go to Tower Oaks for my m-i-l's sake, but I'd be happy to never eat there again, too.  Case in point, read the first line under "Brunch Starters":

That's how you make the big bucks

http://www.restaurantbusinessonline.com/boosting-sales/top-100-independents

71 Tower Oaks Lodge $11,800,002 $23.00* Rockville Md.

p.s. 3 Old Ebbitt Grill $26,687,861 $40.00 Washington D.C.

15 The Hamilton $17,855,655 $45.00 Washington D.C.

That's how you make the big bucks

http://www.restaurantbusinessonline.com/boosting-sales/top-100-independents

71 Tower Oaks Lodge $11,800,002 $23.00* Rockville Md.

p.s. 3 Old Ebbitt Grill $26,687,861 $40.00 Washington D.C.

15 The Hamilton $17,855,655 $45.00 Washington D.C.

And don't forget about:

98     Willow Creek Farm     $10,220,570     $29.00     Broadlands     Va.

The people watching at the bar on a Thursday evening there is priceless...

I'm not sure if Clyde's has upped their shrimp game or if they reserve a selection of them for those who pay full price in the dining room, but the ones I had on Sunday at Gallery Place were the biggest and tastiest I've ever eaten there.

As we're talking about dollar amounts here, I should say that full price for a shrimp is now $3.50, getting dangerously close to Bill O'Reilly enragement territory.

I'm not sure if Clyde's has upped their shrimp game or if they reserve a selection of them for those who pay full price in the dining room, but the ones I had on Sunday at Gallery Place were the biggest and tastiest I've ever eaten there.

I wandered into Ebbitt late last week, and would vote that they've upped their shrimp game.  The shrimp I had were significantly larger than they used to be, and seemed like they may have been in a lightly spiced boil (though they are still peeled) rather than procured from a frozen brick-o-shrimp behind the Oyster Bar.  If this keeps up rather than being a one-time supplier anomaly, they're certainly worth the $1.75 price during happy hour.

Clyde's Tysons is closing on February 5, 2017.  The article references that it is 36 years old.  That corresponds with the timing of the rough explosion of office space in Tysons and where many of its customers dabbled for 8 hours a day before they could start some serious eating and drinking at Clyde's.  The article and explanation from a Clyde's executive doesn't word the story this way, but the 6 acre site on which Clyde's sits is one of the best and most strategic sites in the redeveloping Tyson's Corner, its land value is extraordinary and Clyde's eagerly participated in this land assemblage and redevelopment.  The restaurant could be twice to 5 times as busy as it every day and the land values would far exceed the value as a restaurant.  The Clyde's ownership group is not crying at this development.

Geez.  Clydes Tysons was an eating and drinking phenomena in its first decade or longer.  Seriously a drinking phenomena.  For a long period of time from its inauguration it served among the best food in Tysons.  The food world was different then, the competition was less significant, and Clyde's stood out.  And then there was the drinking.  Don't forget the drinking.

See ya, old pal.

• Like 2

It was a Tyson's institution, for sure, right up there with JR's Steakhouse.

As DaveO pointed out, that will be a nice piece of real estate for the retail and housing that will occupy it. It was always difficult to get to, but that never stopped the throngs from packing in there.

I note that Tom Meyer is now president of Clyde's, so it appears John and Ginger Laytham may have moved on to more leisurely pursuits in their later years. Tom was the executive chef for quite a while, and I've spoken to him often over the years. Whenever I went into a Clyde's, I never ordered off the menu. Tom suggested that I always ask for what's fresh and seasonal, and if the kitchen had it, they would make it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

I note that Tom Meyer is now president of Clyde's, so it appears John and Ginger Laytham may have moved on to more leisurely pursuits in their later years. Tom was the executive chef for quite a while, and I've spoken to him often over the years. Whenever I went into a Clyde's, I never ordered off the menu. Tom suggested that I

always ask for what's fresh and seasonal , and if the kitchen had it, they would make it.

Periodically I visit one or more Clyde's, either with local friends or folks from out of town.  People from out of town will often bring it up.  Way way back I met the Clyde's partners, but never Tom Meyer.  That sounds like its still a worthwhile suggestion.  I'll keep it in mind, suggest it and try it.!!

In the earlier '80's a colleague and I brokered a land sale.  The Clyde's group owned a parcel next to it.  We were too far apart on price and didn't acquire it to add to an assemblage.  John Laytham and Stuart Davidson were very nice.  They mentioned how they had other parcels in various parts of the region.  Some of the areas where they have subsequently opened were areas that they had mentioned.   At some point between 1963 when Clyde's first opened and 1983 when I believe we met they had purchased land where they envisioned restaurants to meet growing populations. (the Tysons site was one of those parcels purchased years earlier) They had a keen eye. 

I've always enjoyed Clyde's.  I'm probably mangling Stuart Davidson's original concept but it went something like..."Its more fun to eat in a saloon than drink in a restaurant."  It worked for me and time has proven that to be true in their case. 

I was a friend of Richard McCooey, who passed away a year and a half ago. Richard opened The Tombs, F. Scott's, and 1789, and when the opportunity arose, he sold them to Clyde's. Through Richard, I got to know Tom Meyer and the Laythams.

Richard latched on to Clyde's group as one of their designers, and his personnel collection of prints is all over the walls at Clyde's in Reston, Mark Center, and Gallery Place, among others. (I even have two baseball-themed prints from Richard in my baseball man cave.)

The hunting scene  on the back wall in Reston is straight out of his personal collection, and I can point out the flaw in piecing it together....the Georgetown crew prints in the bar at Reston are Richard through-and-through. Even the way all of his prints are lit, are pure Richard.

Richard was also big on the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, and his DC license plate was "INFP".

• Like 1

I must be getting old because I'm having a really hard time with Clyde's pricing these days.  Willow Creek is trying out what appears to be a new chophouse section with a $37 8oz filet - sides not included ('shareable' sides are 9$).  Last June their monthly special was an 8oz filet, WITH sides, for $19.95.  Not sure what justifies more than doubling the price over a 10 month time.  And then there's the $76 tomahawk.

If they can make the high end meat business work, great for them.  But there used to also be more options in what I'll call 'The Tuesday Night' section when you just want to stop by the neighborhood bar on the way home but don't want a hamburger.  At least The Hamilton still has half portions of pasta and sushi, you CAN get a halfway interesting (read: not a turkey sandwich) meal here without breaking the bank.  Even the monthly specials at WCF seem to have gone by the wayside (missing for last 2 mos).

On 5/1/2017 at 2:55 PM, genericeric said:

I must be getting old because I'm having a really hard time with Clyde's pricing these days.  Willow Creek is trying out what appears to be a new chophouse section with a $37 8oz filet - sides not included ('shareable' sides are 9$).  Last June their monthly special was an 8oz filet, WITH sides, for $19.95.  Not sure what justifies more than doubling the price over a 10 month time.  And then there's the $76 tomahawk.

I've been hearing, "I can make it better and cheaper at home" for decades, and have never paid much attention to it. 

With certain steaks, however, even *I* can make it better and cheaper at home, in a crummy 20-year-old oven - that is, if you're talking about a $37, 8-ounce Filet Mignon with no sides ... who on Earth would order such a thing? (*)

Seriously, that's $74 a pound, and tenderloin *retails* at $14 a pound, or $7 for an 8-ounce cut, at Costco:

Feb 9, 2017 [date updated] - "Meat Buying Guide - Beef Prices at Costco" on eatlikenoone.com

Assuming they're paying retail (which they aren't), that's a 19% food cost - divide 7/37 and see for yourselves.

Ever hear a restaurateur say, "Nobody makes any money on steaks?" I've heard this *so many times*, and it's a loaf of baloney.

(*) Ah! Donald Trump would order it! (This is not a grenade - I just this very minute thought about him and his steak-eating habits, and I think if he was here, he actually *would* order it, well-done, to boot.)

Does it at least come with some sort of sauce?

Cheers,
Flaming Yawn <--- I just thought of that, too.

Stay canned, ale.

Eye yam go winged twos tart trite Ting ever wreathing enough whore Matt inn witch pee pull knead tooth ink, four sing hour reed hers stews lowdown. Dune knot ass sue Mike canned dew wit, all though why wood dug reaper hap sigh knead two fined duh bet her weighed two you smite hime (yeah sigh chi Ted beak cuz hime Ms. Jap pin knees (pronoun steam may). Sews whom e (chi his Jap pin knees two, bye thee weigh - uh Khan nut tube bee eggs act)). Let sea yuck hump Ute hurt trite two deuce hum trans lay shuns witch hearth hiss sore ridge gin null land if occult - knot tin hour you knee verse, deer fell low reed hers. :)

• Like 2

Since this is a well-informed group and people appear to have "special" access or insight, any news on the Reston location of Clydes?  Hearing various things from numerous people (like I did way before il Fornaio closed), and am hoping it just speculation.  The Clyde's location in RTC is perfect, centrally-located, view of concerts, fountain (ice skating in Winter) etc...and one of the original anchor stores at RTC.  Anyone?  Anyone?

4 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Some sad news: John Laytham, CEO of Clyde's Restaurant Group, passed away yesterday.

Screenshot 2019-01-04 at 16.01.27.pngScreenshot 2019-01-04 at 16.03.14.png

He will be missed. He understood dining in the DC area better than most. It was his vision that brought us Old Ebbitt in its current form, and The Hamilton as a large food and music venue. He had personal quirks, like not trusting air travel or elevators. May he rest in peace.

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

Some sad news: John Laytham, CEO of Clyde's Restaurant Group, passed away yesterday.

Screenshot 2019-01-04 at 16.01.27.pngScreenshot 2019-01-04 at 16.03.14.png

Oh my.  It hasn't hit the news today.  If so..he would certainly rank up there among all DC restaurateurs, for longevity and a wealth of achievements.   I didn't know him but met him once in a business meeting.  When I met Latham and Davidson we were working on a land sale (I think '83) and if I recall the land in that block sold for around $250/ft.  Latham and Davidson had purchased the parcel for something like $10 or $15/ft some years earlier  (say between 1963..and years before we met).  They mentioned other parcels they owned.  All those parcels were near where future Clyde's' were ultimately built.  They had amazing foresight.   They also had a lot of my $$ spent on beer and burgers over the years. 

The other thing about Clyde's that stuck out in my mind and experience for so many decades, besides the great bars;  I knew lots of younger folks over the decades who were earlier in their careers, and earlier in their capacity to earn money.   For a tremendous number of them, so often repeated for so many decades...dining at Clyde's was  often their first "fine dining" expensive dinner treat.  I heard that quite a bit over a long period of time.   While for this foodie group, for folks with more disposable income earlier in their lives, and folks with more discerning tastes developed earlier in their lives...that might sound surprising....but I heard it and knew plenty of diners who stepped up in their careers, and Clyde's (or one of the group) was the first special dining experience.  Clyde's made its mark in the DC dining world.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, DaveO said:

Oh my.  It hasn't hit the news today. 

I didn't want to call attention to it out of respect for the family, but the news is out now in at least one publication.

Thank you very much to the people who alerted me to this unhappy story.

What sad, somber news. How do we pay respect to the legacy that Mr Laytham has built? We visit Clyde’s and raise a class to what he has built, as well cultivated in the Metro DC dining landscape. I can recall many memories & relationships I have forged at both Clydes Chinatown, as well the flagship Clydes. 

We lost a great one. 

Before the Georgetown/St Johns college basketball game yesterday I stopped at the Clyde’s Bar in the Alley at Gallery Place.   Jeez:  it was packed to the gills: jam packed!!

...and me, at my advanced age felt—this is not for me—-though once I was a happy member of the various Clyde’s’ jam packed bars across the greater DC landscape.

The food and drink:  sliders and a beer:  no comment:  a Bloody Mary and crab dip ->decidedly meh

The bar environment looked like a Georgetown alumni event.  Must have been a pre game crowd.

The game -> close and exciting but I didn’t see a future NBA Star, maybe a role player or two.   GTown has a very quick Freshman point guard.  He needs a fair Amount of work though.  Hope he sticks around;  he could use the development time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DanielK said:

Behind a paywall - what's the gist?

The Graham family (as in former majority  owners of Washington Post) are in negotiations to purchase the restaurant chain which has evidently been for sale for some period following John Laytham’s passing

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaveO said:

The Graham family (as in former majority  owners of Washington Post) are in negotiations to purchase the restaurant chain which has evidently been for sale for some period following John Laytham’s passing

I am hopeful that the Graham family retains Clyde's local charm. There are a few thousand employees of the Clyde's Group, and they have families. There are also many of them who have been there for life, because they are well-cared-for, including medical benefits.

I love how you can go into any Clyde's and order off the menu, and if they have the ingredients, they'll make whatever you ask for. I love how the twice-a-day raw bar happy hour at every Clyde's is the best deal in town, especially if you love oysters. I love how the Oyster Riot is now a major food event in the DC area. I love how seriously they take their decor, including the lighting, and I really love the attention to detail, like the silver-plated screws on the nautical dock cleats at Mark Center. I love the commissioned paintings, like the massive Babe Ruth mural inside the front door at Gallery Place.

If the Graham family continues this local treasure along the same lines, it will be a good thing.

• Like 4

On 4/20/2019 at 12:45 PM, Kibbee Nayee said:

I am hopeful that the Graham family retains Clyde's local charm. There are a few thousand employees of the Clyde's Group, and they have families. There are also many of them who have been there for life, because they are well-cared-for, including medical benefits.

I love how you can go into any Clyde's and order off the menu, and if they have the ingredients, they'll make whatever you ask for. I love how the twice-a-day raw bar happy hour at every Clyde's is the best deal in town, especially if you love oysters. I love how the Oyster Riot is now a major food event in the DC area. I love how seriously they take their decor, including the lighting, and I really love the attention to detail, like the silver-plated screws on the nautical dock cleats at Mark Center. I love the commissioned paintings, like the massive Babe Ruth mural inside the front door at Gallery Place.

If the Graham family continues this local treasure along the same lines, it will be a good thing.

Interestingly since the Washington Business Journal broke this story no other source has learned anything more.  Its a well guarded secret or transaction.  The Georgetowner added a piece that rehashes the WBJ article.  They contacted both Clyde's and the Graham holdings groups and received "no comments". 

As it should be.  Its a private transaction.   I'm with KN above.  It would be nice if the Graham's purchased Clydes.  They are benevolent and community minded owners for the most part.  I suspect they would be "remote" owners as food and beverage is not their expertise.  If this story is accurate it would be a positive to have local ownership maintain Clyde's and I hope their seasoned professional management continues to do a great job.

• Like 2