Sthitch

Clyde's, a Georgetown-Based Chain - Giant American Restaurants in Numerous Area Locations

I love Clyde's, at least in part because I know how much attention to detail and resources are devoted to decorating each restaurant -- and also partly because the Clyde's happy hours are among the best deals in town. I had lunch with a friend at Gallery Place today, and the Babe Ruth mural inside the front door is the most spectacular eye candy of any restaurant in the DC metropolitan area (for me).

Lunch today was merely OK. I was excited to order the soft shell crab, and for $16.99, it seemed like a good deal. But what arrived was a scant little crab on a spare bed of watercress salad. Everything was delicious and went together quite well, but it was a kiddie portion. Nonetheless, I will return again and again to enjoy the baseball-themed art gallery, probably at happy hour.

28 minutes ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

Lunch today was merely OK. I was excited to order the soft shell crab, and for $16.99, it seemed like a good deal. But what arrived was a scant little crab on a spare bed of watercress salad. Everything was delicious and went together quite well, but it was a kiddie portion. Nonetheless, I will return again and again to enjoy the baseball-themed art gallery, probably at happy hour.

My experience over the last couple of years is that soft shell crabs are far more expensive earlier in the season (i.e. now) than later in the season.   They can also come in small at this time of year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaveO said:

My experience over the last couple of years is that soft shell crabs are far more expensive earlier in the season (i.e. now) than later in the season.   They can also come in small at this time of year.

That's reassuring, because I love soft shell crabs and crab cakes, so your words are reassuring. I will remain steadfast in my search for this delicacy.

And Dave, I'm honored to dedicate my 2000th post to responding to you!

• Like 1

On 5/15/2019 at 2:32 PM, Kibbee Nayee said:

I had the soft shell sandwich at Ebbitt yesterday and the crab was surprisingly large with a light, crisp cornmeal batter - one of the better soft shell's I've had in awhile.  We may be getting to the point where the size is getting more reasonable - others I saw were similar size.  

• Like 1